• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why I love Final Fantasy VI

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Link to original post: [drupal=1352]Why I love Final Fantasy VI[/drupal]

It's a well known fact that I'm a big fan of the game Final Fantasy VI. It's something of a running joke that every time someone mentions the game on the forums, I immediately post in large font and caps, "DID SOMEONE MENTION FINAL FANTASY VI?!" I had an avatar for a while that was a picture of Terra (which apparently led several people to believe that I was a female
). However, there are dozens of RPGs out there; in fact, there are dozens of Final Fantasies alone. So why this one, which came out in 1994 when I was only nine years old? What's so special about this Final Fantasy?

To explain that, I suppose I should start at the beginning. No, the beginning was not 1994. Full disclosure time: I never actually played Final Fantasy VI on the SNES. Back then it was known as Final Fantasy III, to keep unsuspecting American gamers unaware of the fact that we'd missed out on three Final Fantasies. I didn't actually play Final Fantasy VI until 2001, when I was fifteen years old and a sophomore in high school.

I hadn't heard anything special about the game; I'd downloaded it along with several other ROMs on my computer when I finally got ZSNES. I wasn't even that much into RPGs. Yeah I'd played Earthbound and Super Mario RPG, but I skipped the Tales games, Breath of Fire, Shining Force, etc. But so many people had talked about how amazing Final Fantasy VII was (I never owned a Playstation, I was one of the N64 kids), so I figured I'd finally give the series a try. I loaded up ZSNES and selected FF3.fig. Yes, even the ROM was labeled Final Fantasy III.

I was instantly hooked. The very first time I played the game, I sat in front of my computer and played the game for ten hours straight. Mind you, at this point our computer didn't have a desk yet, so it was on the floor. It was also my first time playing an RPG as complex as FF VI, so I got lost quite easily. I sat on the floor, roaming around South Figaro for ten hours. And I loved every second of it.

My lack of understanding in terms of Final Fantasy games came back to haunt me though. I was under the false impression that one only needed to pass through the blue, glowing save points in order to save. I didn't know that you actually had to open the menu and select save. I played the game for that ten hour stretch, and turned the game off. When I went back the next day, my data was gone. I was so furious, with myself and the game, that I almost stopped playing forever. I took about a week to calm down, and the next weekend I went back at it. I got my time down substantially as well; I got back to the same point in only about three hours of play.

From there, my experience is a blur of incredible memories punctuated by some of the greatest moments in gaming. The opera scene was one of the most elaborate things I'd ever seen in an RPG up to that point, and it was a beautiful musical experience on top of that. My party was severely under-leveled when I came to Ultros at the end of the opera, and it took me several times to beat him. I didn't mind, as reliving the opera was something that I looked forward to. That scene is what began my obsession with videogame music. I immediately went online to find it, and I found the 23-minute orchestrated version from Orchestral Game Concert 4. I was on dial-up back then, and it took me over an hour to download the 25 mb file, and it was totally worth it. I listened to the whole thing over and over, and even transcribed part of the song into a solo for the clarinet, my instrument (I played that song at my grandmother's retirement party, and everyone loved it. Of course, I didn't tell them where the song came from!)

There were so many other great moments: Celes' suicide attempt, which is still one of my favorite moments from any game; Terra's realization of her heritage; the "end" of the world; Locke trying to revive Rachel; the death of Cyan's family and the scene with the Phantom Train; Gau finding his father, and a hundred other moments that, when taken by themselves are good, but come together to form an extraordinary narrative that hasn't been matched since, in my mind at least.

It took me 65 hours to beat the game, doing the bare minimum in most cases. There in lay the other great thing about the game. On future plays, I was able to discover so many things I didn't know about the first time through the game: the secret dreams of Shadow, the Paladin Shield, the secret characters and so many other easter eggs and surprises. The second time it took me 35 hours, and I did twice as much as I had in my first play through.

Eventually I tired of playing the game on my computer, and I bought the Anthology version for PlayStation. What a mistake that was. The loading times essentially ruined the experience. Imagine ten-second loading times for EVERY RANDOM BATTLE. But I loved the game so much that I beat the Anthology version not once, but twice. That is the depths of my mania. I've beaten the game at least ten times, my last play through coming during the first trimester of my wife's pregnancy. She slept so much that I beat the game in a week.

Final Fantasy VI was so amazing to me, that I decided to play every Final Fantasy game, and every Square RPG I could get my hands on. I played Chrono Trigger, and absolutely loved it. Then I went back to play the PSOne era RPGs I'd missed, starting with Final Fantasy VII. VII was a good game, but I didn't see why it garnered the hype it did. I tried others: Legend of Dragoon, Final Fantasy VIII, Chrono Cross, Vagrant Story, Final Fantasy Tactics, and others. Tactics was great as well, but I hated all the other games and didn't even bother finishing them. After that, I thought that I was just an old-school RPG guy, so I went back to play Final Fantasies IV and V. Once again, I didn't finish them. It's not that they can't compare to VI, because that's not a fair comparison to make. It's just that I'm not an RPG guy, and FF VI was that rare RPG that actually compelled me to finish it.

So now, if you see me screaming about Final Fantasy VI, you know why. It's my favorite RPG and my favorite game, hands down. It's spawned some of the best remixes in the world (see OverClocked ReMix), and continues to have a strong fanbase who will argue with the other Square fanboys about what the greatest RPG of all time is. If you haven't played it, what's stopping you? And if you have, play it again. It's that darn good.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
You... aren't a female? ;) That explains the wobbling...

I did go through that entire wall of text, and actually enjoyed it. I never did play many RPG's, but you make this one sound amazing. I'll be sure to borrow it from a friend next chance I get.

Skrah

Smash Ace
Cool read Jam. Pretty much happened the same to me, but with Ocarina of Time. Those were good times.

I'll have to mention Final Fantasy VI in a random thread to see if the rumors are true lol!

finalark

SNORLAX
How would I get it lol I've never downloaded any game before. I wouldn't even begin to know what to do.
Downloaded, as in Emulator? Well, you shouldn't use Emulators because every time one is used, a puppy dies.

And drop Final Fantasy VII, that's the second most overrated game I've ever played and pick up the good Final Fantasies.

Nice post, Jam. I loved Final Fantasy VI. I thought that it was the first Final Fantasy that wasn't either only okay or bad. It had a great cast, an epic villain that could kick Sephiroth's sorry little *** any day of the week, and a great story, to name a few things.

Although for me the title of "best Final Fantasy" still goes to IX. For me, anyway.

Church

Smash Cadet
This is a great post, FF VI is also my favorite FF although I played VII first. Your little tidbit about how you misunderstood the save points is hilarious! (Although sorry for the misfortune!) The first time I played FF VI I was also severely under leveled when I came to Ultros after the opera scene, in fact, I had such a hard time beating him that I gave the game up for another year! Despite this, when I finally did finish it the first time I realized that it is the best FF out there, hands down. Everything about the game is amazing, hands down. The music (Shadow's Theme!!!), storyline, characters, everything!

The first time I played it was on the PSX, the Anthology version, but I only got to Ultros. Fast forward a year or so and I downloaded the ROM for ZSNES, Final Fantasy 3.smc. I think it's great that you played the opera tune at your grandmother's retirement party. Funny thing about not telling them where it came from. I feel like there are so many gems in video game music.

In any case, excellent post Jam Stunna, really brings back a ton of memories for me.

Other than that, what is your favorite party composition?

TP

Smash Master
I bet you weren't expecting to get the following response. I can GUARANTEE you I love FF3 more than you do. Some of my very first memories are of FF3 (I'm 17 now). I refer to it as FF3 because it is the SNES game I played as a child. I go through the game completely several times a year. My mp3 player consists entirely of the entire soundtrack. I listen to it daily, and nearly cry whenever Forever Rachel is played. The longest I've ever gone without playing the game was in my Freshman year of high school. I got very depressed that winter, and starting hurting myself because I felt I deserved it. Then, one day, I suddenly heard the Main Theme (Terra) in my head. Even though I had not heard the tune in a year, I remembered every note perfectly. After that, my depression simply melted away as I went back to that game.

I'm glad to see someone else who really enjoys FF3, and I would love to know how you got ZSNES, as I have been unsuccessfully searching for it for a long time in an attempt to explore the game even further using save states.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Terra/Edgar/Shadow/Umaro

Equipped with Jewel Box, Chain Saw, Offering + Gengi Glove and Rage Ring, respectively.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
To fully appreciate a game's every aspect like it's some sort of artform.

Yes I know the feeling, I could go on for eons about Majora's Mask... but I think I'll spare people my 5 million word writeup I'm capable of. ;D

Matt

Banned via Administration
You used an emulator but didn't save with the Save State feature? FOOL.

Man, I was so hooked on ZSNES and the Save State that I used to be in Photoshop or Game Maker or playing basketball or something in real life, and I'd instinctively reach for the F1 key to immediately undo my mistakes. Many moons ago, I got a PS2-quality controller for my computer and mapped R2 and L2 to Save and Load.

More on topic: I have an IRL friend who is equally obsessed with FFVI, and was always making weird little references to it that flew over my head. I decided to give the game a shot, so I could better relate to him. Having already played the hell out of Final Fantasy Tactics, Final Fantasy VII, Mario RPG, all of the earlier Tales games, Crono Trigger, the Legend of Mana series, Vagrant Story, Breath of Fire, Phantasy Star, Legend of Lagaia, Terranigma, Lufia, Illusion of Gaia, and Lunar, I was a bit burnt out on the traditional RPG by the time I got around to FFVI. I wasn't compelled to finish it.

Good read, though. =P

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Everybody, who truly enjoys playing video games loves FFVI. I don't know any exceptions and everybody, who played the game agrees that it's amazing. You won't find any other FF game that receives so little hatred - I think it's the only FF that is really universally accepted as an amazing game, which is saddening to me as I believe that all "real" FF games (that doesn't include FFT - I never played it) are good games in their own right (even FFX-2 is a lot better than people think).

I had an AIM conversation with Spadefox and like me he thinks that people usually prefer the first FF game they played. This seems to be true in most cases and I guess that's why you like FFVI the most. Personally I think that FFIX is the best game ever created and I don't understand why you never played it. A lot of the things you like about FFVI are very prominent in FFIX except that the world is a lot richer and better thought in FFIX. It's also very different from FFVII and FFVIII - two games you don't seem to like. If you haven't played FFIX already you should give it a shot - it's an incredible game.

It's really hard to rank FF games when you all like them as much as I do but my top 3 would be FFIX, FFIV and FFVI (in this order). FFIX and FFIV both got (and still get) a lot less attention then they deserve (which is also true for FFIII and FFV - two amazing games). I find them both to be better than FFVI although it's so close that it barely matters. All three are perfect RPGs and it's just a matter of personal preferrence.
It seems like there's a "gap" between FFVI and FFVII. People, who enjoyed pre-FFVII FFs seem to hate the new games and vice versa. I think that's stupid. All FF games are so different from one another and all of them were (and are still) innovative. All of them had unique features, which prevents the games from being redundant but they also have similarities, which make them seem linked together somehow. If you play all FF games it's as if you played one big game.
Final Fantasy is the greatest franchise ever created and people, who judge it after playing only one game are ********. Nobody knows how good it is unless he played all of them.

:059:

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord
I gotta defend FF VII though. I don't think it's overrate, I just think all the fanboys/girls are killing the title. I have play VI before VII and I do realize how epic it is. I love Shadow's mystery - loner attitude (just check out the second part of my username :) If I had to pick which one is better, I wouldn't choose. I'd sit there till i died.

But anyway, FF VI was one of the first games to implement "singing" if you could call it that. You know what's funny? Before the opera song, there is a song called "Wedding Waltz" (youtube it). Supposedly it's a real song - i.e. that same song was used in an anime called Kanon ep 12. I've been trying to find that song ever since ****it! Haha. I recommend most people to play it, but unfortunately they get turned off by the 12(32?)bit graphics. I wish they would remake FF VI and Chrono Trigger in 3d :)

Mith_

Smash Champion
I never got into the FF series.
I never got into any popular series really, except maybe Pokemon and Digimon, but do those even count? :laugh:

Church

Smash Cadet
I've always been partial to Terra/Locke/Edgar/Sabin but I've used all of the characters in my main party before.

Everybody has their own personal favorite FF. Personally for me every single one of them are excellent and come very close to one another in terms of greatness.

You used an emulator but didn't save with the Save State feature? FOOL.
I guess, but if you want to feel like you're playing the actual game then save states are a no no. Anybody can master a game with save states.

D

Deleted member

Great read! The first Final Fantasy I played was 2. I never even finished it.

Deception

Smash Ace
Yes, this is my favorite FF. Hell, my favorite game ever. After finishing FFIV I thought no other FF would beat it, but VI did it. Favorite team would have to be Terra/Celes/Edgar/Setzer.

Matt

Banned via Administration
I guess, but if you want to feel like you're playing the actual game then save states are a no no. Anybody can master a game with save states.
Man, not being able to save whenever is just a silly way to boost difficulty and replayability (having to go back and do the same thing over and over and over again because the designers don't always come up with the best save points [See: Far Cry]). I've been playing GTA IV, and my one and only beef with the game is the lack of the "save whenever you want" feature. It just adds tedium from inevitable failures when you have no idea how you're supposed to do things right the first time. Being punished for a Trial and Error mechanic (argh!!) is silly, and that's all that set-in-stone save spots do is punish you.

The main reason I've never been much of an RPG enthusiast is the incredibly long length of the games, which is artificially boosted by the Trial and Error mechanic (not to mention the necessity for mega-grinding). Call me crazy, but I'd much much rather play a game that's about 10-20 hours in length rather than 3X that. I rarely enjoy an RPG without being able to save whenever I want.

shminkledorf

Smash Ace
The main reason I've never been much of an RPG enthusiast is the incredibly long length of the games, which is artificially boosted by the Trial and Error mechanic (not to mention the necessity for mega-grinding). Call me crazy, but I'd much much rather play a game that's about 10-20 hours in length rather than 3X that. I rarely enjoy an RPG without being able to save whenever I want.
I can't think of a single RPG I've ever played that involved necessary mega-grinding at any point in time

Church

Smash Cadet
Man, not being able to save whenever is just a silly way to boost difficulty and replayability (having to go back and do the same thing over and over and over again because the designers don't always come up with the best save points [See: Far Cry]). I've been playing GTA IV, and my one and only beef with the game is the lack of the "save whenever you want" feature. It just adds tedium from inevitable failures when you have no idea how you're supposed to do things right the first time. Being punished for a Trial and Error mechanic (argh!!) is silly, and that's all that set-in-stone save spots do is punish you.
Well, if it helps you enjoy a great game such as FFVI then I guess so be it! (Even though you said you have never been much of an RPG enthusiast.)

That will take too long. I want to play this game NOW! :laugh:
www.snesorama.us -- this website has a great forum section. :)

Top Bottom