• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

why i think a jigglypuff ban should be reconsidered (serious topic)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PoundSlap

Smash Journeyman
this is absolutely not a troll topic! the reason im starting this thread is that jugding from the apex results jigglypuff still seems like a broken char for me. i will explain my theory in depth

first of all, rest is an overkill. in the whole game there is not even a single move that is comparable to rest. characters like ganondorf need to charge their punch for 3 seconds to be at an even knockback and jiggs does it at the first frame. in the current metagame it is also not possible to miss a rest since you can get a 100% set-up for it everytime and if the opponent has already like 50% a star k.o. is guaranteed regardless of the di. also in brawl the rest got very nerfed. it doesnt kill any longer and a flower grows on the opponent. whereas other moves didnt get nerfed. fox upsmash is still pretty strong in brawl and ikes neutral b even got stronger than in melee. i think this demonstrates pretty well that jigglypuff is broken when its obviously the only char that got limited.

secondly, jigglypuff is more like the metaknight of melee. the design is pretty similar, both are small, hard to hit and are sort of balloons. jigglypuffs sword is here the backair and it has zero lag as well, you dont even need l cancel. jigglypuff can recover as well as metaknight and can edgeguard even better. whenever someone is offstage you have a 100% coverage. now you think "but hungrybox doesnt get every edgeguard". you know what? hungrybox is really bad at edgeguarding. he covers like 30% but you can actually cover 99.7% with jiggs. (yeah i said 100% but i rounded up to add a bit more drama) the actual 0.3% include the phantom hits by the way.

jiggs doesnt have any bad matchups. his worst is young link which is 55:45 for jiggs. also you will say now that if jiggs was that good why didnt she had more placings at apex? well that is easy to explain: there are no jiggs players. hungrybox is pretty much the only one that is decent. there are some mediocre jiggs like darc but you can count them out of the statistic. darc covers his edgeguard like 11% and only has a 54% rest set-up which is really bad for a jiggs. and why are there no jiggs? because nobody likes to play gay and wacky chars. and hungrybox is actually on overtriforces level or a bit below. this indicates of how much push jigglypuff can give you as a player, very similar to metaknight. thats why im concerned and why i create this topic. to me jigglypuff is the metaknight of melee and should be banned. what do you think?

by the way only (serious posts) here please, dont want anyone to troll here.

oukd

Smash Lord
Premium
in regards to the thread title...what a fitting username

on a "serious note" jiggs is a dumb character but far from being op and why is this thread a thing

Codi

Smash Ace
This isn't a troll response

Do you have any clue about what you are talking about?

:phone:

Superspright

Smash Lord
She isn't OP at all. Maybe if she was played by God she would be. But the bair is not the be all end all of smash. But you are right...Jigglypuff of a ridiculously high caliber should get EVERY single edgeguard. Marth is good and all, but he has to time stuff fairly well. Jigglypuff can just float out to you and make a timing work.

TL?

Smash Ace
You have no real arguments. Your points are:

1) Jiggs shares a few qualities with a character in a substantially different game who is borderline broken.
2) Rest was nerfed in brawl
3) Fox's up smash was not nerfed

These points prove nothing. You have to explain why jiggs is good in the context of melee. Well, I guess not because you're probably trolling.

V-K

Smash Ace
There is no 100% way to rest. You have to hard read rolls or movements, get somehow a jab reset or do the upthrow (but the opponent can still DI).

And when you miss you will eat a full charged smash and that is not healthy as the lightest character.

McFlyy

Smash Rookie
In all seriousness, do you have a hard time with jigglypuff?

In all seriousness, she does have her weaknesses.

In all seriousness, I think she is high tier material. not OP. not bannable.

Anand

Smash Journeyman
if the opponent has already like 50% a star k.o. is guaranteed regardless of the di.
I'm pretty sure this is incorrect, unless they are unreasonably high up on the screen to begin with. As damage increases, the effective trajectory angle (from horizontal) will only increase up to 45 degrees (with no DI), and up to 27 degrees (with perfect suicide DI).

McFlyy

Smash Rookie
In all seriousness, why jigglypuff? I don't really know too many people that would deem Jigglypuff the "gayest" character in the game. Fox and falco can dance circles around people and **** their mother at the same time! Jigglypuff has to Bair, Bair, Bair... and maybe even Bair if she feels like changing it up a bit.

Sure she has rest which is a great move, but how far can it really take her? More often than not she has to set it up first. Sometimes it's not the rest you have to watch out for, it's the set up... and that statement could be said about more than just Jiggs rest. Falcons knee, Foxes shine, Peaches Downsmash... even Pikas Upsmash! Rest is actually kinda overshadowed by all these moves, which are seemingly more practical and less situational. Rest can get the OHKO, but all said moves are more spammable, and for good reason! They are more reliable. Rest is the most punishable move in the game. Period... and jiggs is (I think) tied for 2nd lightest in the game. She has her weaknesses

TheGoat

Smash Ace
I like how the mods haven't instalocked garbage like this when they do it to new players trying to find a starting place in the melee community.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom