• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

why i think tournaments need more respect (serious topic)

Divinokage

Smash Legend
THANK YOU!!

All this **** about "it really reflects badly on us as a community guis =(" we aren't a part of some national or international association. No one is watching us. And this stuff is baby talk compared to what goes down in marvel.
No one is watching us? What is this 2003?

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
this is honestly ridicoulus, hes been worse to people on the boards (and even worse irl), why shouldn't you be allowed to talk smack back to someone who's done it to you?
if people would chant like that against me for talking smack about flopmerica i wouldn't hold it against them, it's understandable and not that ****ing serious anyway
if you know that you'll be affected by something like that then don't talk **** and dont be an a-hole, its very simple

"sympathy for everyone, no matter how much they suck ****". youre all a bunch of ****ies.
MikeHaggar would be the one to explain the **** talker's mindset in the most ****ish way possible.

People who think the leffen sucks chant is inappropriate don't really seem to understand the kind of interaction that was occurring there. Leffen made some callouts, and talked some **** about some players for whatever reason, be it because he genuinely thought they were bad, or because he wanted to start a beef, or because he just wanted to troll. The kinds of people who partake in trash talk saw this as a buy-in to their game, and the Leffen Sucks chant was their way of saying, "Okay, buddy, you wanna play? This is just a taste. Your move."

If Leffen himself is offended, then he really shouldn't have sat down at the table.

Me, I'm just mad at Leffen because he stepped on my toes and nearly knocked me over after getting trashed by Wizzrobe in the P:M invitational. **** was mad rude.

Hax

Smash Champion
roflmao at the chant being inappropriate

if we were the marvel community he would've gotten sent to the hospital this weekend

Zhea

Smash Ace
Did Leffen deserve the chant? Yes, you talk a game like he does you better be ready for every hater that comes your way.

Should the melee community have done that? No we should have been the better person and let it slide.

To be more honest the **** talk when the projector went out (nothing they could of done about it and hell they bent over backwards to fix it) was down right disgraceful. That kind of stuff should never have been accepted. The apex crew ran the tourney on time and fluidly while still maintaining enough setups for friendlies (I personally got at least 6 hours a day of them), that's a miracle. When Rutger's stuff breaks, and they fix it by the next set and are also recording/streaming the set for future reference FOR FREE? That showed the worst of the melee community. Far more than any **** talk on players that went on.

#drunkcandidpost

batistabus

Smash Journeyman
By the way, if anyone wants to compare with professional sports, I believe at one football game, Eagles fans cheered when a Cowboys player (big rival team for those of you who don't follow football) suffered a career ending injury.
Yeah, Eagles fans. It's not like the team stood up and started celebrating (outwardly).

Also, how can anyone even say we're not being watched. What do you think we just donate over 13k for?

PP looked silly dancing in GF, but not because it was disrespectful to Armada.

He's not a very good dancer. No lie, that **** was borderline insulting.
LMAO!

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
I think if you drop the bias behind how people look at Leffen, it's clear to see why the chant was bad, considering how it started.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Yeah, Eagles fans. It's not like the team stood up and started celebrating (outwardly).

Also, how can anyone even say we're not being watched. What do you think we just donate over 13k for?

LMAO!
You're ******** if you think spectators and competitors can't overlap.

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
I never implied that. You're delusional if you think they should be held to the same standards.
Yes you did.
The people in the crowd where in the ****ing crowd, therefore they where the crowd. They where not part of a team currently participating in the match.
If a professional football player would have been standing in the crowd of a football game, would it be wrong of them to cheer in the same manner as everyone else? No, off course not.

You are wrong just like everyone else with the opinion that this was some kind of terrible sin.

That this stops the community from growing is ****ing ridiculous, it certainly hasn't killed of Marvel and neither will it. This is how guys work, especially in competitive situations. We talk **** and rip on each other for fun, like brothers do. It doesn't mean we hate each other.
If this is completely alien to you then I'd like to beat up whatever sensitive man-boys you've been spending your life with.

If you can't handle it what you've brought upon yourself (this would've NEVER happened to someone who hadn't been acting in a dikchole manner) you can just go home to mommy and cry about the meanies in school making fun of your pokemon cards and propeller hat.
Seeing the consequences of your actions is a necessity to grow as a person. Leffen should be thanking the people who chanted against him for doing the job of raising him, as his parents have evidently failed.

PoundSlap

Smash Journeyman
dont question the mighty mike swagger. i agree with him that its okay insult players that behave prentetious however only as long as its not during the set, that would be just disrespectful.

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
Regardless if leffen deserved it or not, some people have class, others don't. Beef is settled on the cube, not hidden in a crowd especially during a set.

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
jesus mikehaggar you really are obsessed aren't you

let it ****ing go and life your life
this isnt just about you, its about ****talk in general and how the smashcommunity is turning into a bunch of overtly tolerant oversympathetic little girls with sand in their vaginas

and letting go of what you've done to me is very, very wrong. you have to learn that actions have consequences, not to mention admitting what you've done and asking for forgiviness instead of lying about it to make other people feel bad.
since your parents are so incompetent they haven't learned you this im pretty much forced to step in.

according to q, you complain about how people are to afraid of conflicts. if you really think that you should appreciate what im doing. although idk how you cant realize how much fear of conflicts has benefited you.

leffen

Smash Champion
since your parents are so incompetent they haven't learned you this im pretty much forced to step in.
lol ur amazing, is that what you think you're doing? LMAO

Mikehaggar, the parent. LOLLLLLL im sorry youre just so ****ing hopeless. Keep doing whatever you'd like, continuing to obsess over me is just gonna hurt yourself and no one else.

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
it was a rethorical statement to make a point. if your parents arent incompetent then please explain how the hell you can act the way you do.
Keep doing whatever you'd like, continuing to obsess over me is just gonna hurt yourself and no one else.
what a smooth way to try to get away from everything youve done.

leffen

Smash Champion
Keep giving yourself excuses to obsess over me for, the fact is that its only gonna hurt yourself and the people who you drag into your insane obsession.

I have made some mistakes, and I will certainly make more, but I will learn and improve from them and honestly, I wouldn't take any advice from you if you were the last person on earth, since really, you're ****ing terrible at everything I value.
Whether it be mental health, social life, smash, school, being fit, commentary, work or simply not being ugly as **** as far as I'm concerned you're ****ing terrible at all of it.

I'm gonna try, I really am, to make this my last post about you Mikehaggar. Talking to, and knowing you, has been nothing but poisonous to me. You're probably gonna go balls to the walls crazy continuing your obsession over me, but I really, really hope that you'll eventually realize how stupid and fruitless it is.

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
I'm gonna try, I really am, to make this my last post about you Mikehaggar.
another smooth escape attempt thats extremly difficult to see through.
how the hell does someone choose to be good at this? this makes absolutely no sense and the obvious purpose of it is to keep spreading this **** around.
please, please, please make the argument that mental health isn't actually medical and just people not being happy. i will **** you up so bad in this argument and i will enjoy it. the mere thought that i would go "balls to the walls crazy" over you being a spoiled chronic liar is further evidence of your laughable lack of knowledge in this area.
you know jack **** about my social life and how ive done in school, when i havent been interrupted by being so sick i couldnt go to school (a decision made by professional doctors, who get pressured not to do this, and therefore only do it when the situation is extreme) my grades have been flawless despite spending all my time reading about blues history, doing art, reading about medicine and other interests ive had.
I have made some mistakes, and I will certainly make more, but I will learn and improve from them and honestly, I wouldn't take any advice from you if you were the last person on earth, since really, you're ****ing terrible at everything I value.
There is a massive difference between making mistakes and intentionally bullying people and making calculated lies, intentionally spreading **** (including lies) about ppl with no other purpose then to make them look bad and hurt them.
everything you do is way to intentional and calculated to be passed off as mistakes. You've always been completely aware of what you do to people because you don't have a moral compass. Which is why it isn't listed in things you value.

you are certainly not one to talk about obsessions considering the lengths youve gone just to hurt people and nothing else.

"i never knew the combination of white and asian could turn out so wrong until i saw leffen" - theo

Dr_Strangelove

Smash Journeyman
roflmao at the chant being inappropriate

if we were the marvel community he would've gotten sent to the hospital this weekend
you say this as though it would be a normal thing for someone to do while playing videogames. not sure about some of you but I consider us to be civilised people enjoying a hobby, not ghetto thugs or overly aggressive scumbags. it is better to instead think about how you can improve a community, saying "at least we aren't as bad as x" is just a ridiculous cop-out.

also the "they have chants in football" argument that some of you are making is pretty dumb, it isn't even a remotely comparable situation.

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
you say this as though it would be a normal thing for someone to do while playing videogames. not sure about some of you but I consider us to be civilised people enjoying a hobby, not ghetto thugs or overly aggressive scumbags. it is better to instead think about how you can improve a community, saying "at least we aren't as bad as x" is just a ridiculous cop-out.
i dont think hes saying that the marvel community is bad. hes just making a point that this is how young guys act with friends when competing and that there's nothing wrong with it.
#SwedishSmash
aside from leffens various beefs with people the swedish smash scene isnt like this.

BEHR

Smash Hero
I approve of Leffen sucks chants,cause well I guess he foreign im not really sure never heard of him, and Melee is like a sort so fans will either cheer or boo. Its like wrestling audiences will yell "Cena Sucks" then another half of the audience will say "Lets Go Cena" so maybe Leffen has no fans loool.

I saw PP dancing or whatever you say is him just having fun, it cost him the set probably, but I dont think he is like all bummed about what he did.

fabulouspants

Smash Apprentice
leffen seems like a *****. talk mad **** online and then wear ur lil gay *** mudkip hat and always looking down at the floor irl? LOL mike swagger would body u in an argument and anything physical sorry dude, just go back to **** talking online. ur *** at the game ur *** at talking **** and u look like ***.

batistabus

Smash Journeyman
Yes you did.
The people in the crowd where in the ****ing crowd, therefore they where the crowd. They where not part of a team currently participating in the match.
If a professional football player would have been standing in the crowd of a football game, would it be wrong of them to cheer in the same manner as everyone else? No, off course not.

That this stops the community from growing is ****ing ridiculous, it certainly hasn't killed of Marvel and neither will it. This is how guys work, especially in competitive situations. We talk **** and rip on each other for fun, like brothers do. It doesn't mean we hate each other.

If this is completely alien to you then I'd like to beat up whatever sensitive man-boys you've been spending your life with.

Seeing the consequences of your actions is a necessity to grow as a person. Leffen should be thanking the people who chanted against him for doing the job of raising him, as his parents have evidently failed.
No kidding, any group of people can be considered a crowd. How could you possibly think I'm arguing that? I'm saying different people with different roles in different organizations have different expectations and standards. Your analogy doesn't work when "everyone else" (95% of the crowd) is also a participant.

It's not going to kill our existing community, but it very well might make us look ****ty to others, especially at a time when we're trying to take on a greater stage. "Boys will be boys" can be used to justify a lot of bull****. That's really nice that you consider Leffen to be like a brother to you. I'm glad to know that chant was devoid of any kind of animosity.

Excuse me if I'd prefer to avoid spending time with people that bring unnecessary conflict and drama into my life. How you could possibly mock this is beyond me. Thanks for looking out for me?

Yes, I'm sure you're doing Leffen a great service. Calling someone out for their bull**** is fine....I don't think anyone should let people walk all over them. Calling out Leffen on an individual basis may very well be justified (NONVIOLENTLY). When gang mentality kicks in, it doesn't really hold the same effect.

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
No kidding, any group of people can be considered a crowd. How could you possibly think I'm arguing that? I'm saying different people with different roles in different organizations have different expectations and standards. Your analogy doesn't work when "everyone else" (95% of the crowd) is also a participant.
and what says that people shouldn't act the way they do? history certainly doesnt.
It's not going to kill our existing community, but it very well might make us look ****ty to others, especially at a time when we're trying to take on a greater stage. "Boys will be boys" can be used to justify a lot of bull****.
but other fighting game communitys act the same way. it does not stop them from growing, and if anything it adds hype and excitement. people tend to get more excited about watching rivalry sets.
That's really nice that you consider Leffen to be like a brother to you. I'm glad to know that chant was devoid of any kind of animosity.
there is certainly animosity between me and leffen and i enjoyed his suffering, but im arguing about ****talk in general.
Excuse me if I'd prefer to avoid spending time with people that bring unnecessary conflict and drama into my life. How you could possibly mock this is beyond me. Thanks for looking out for me?
im not arguing against that, bringing unecessary conflict is the reason i hate leffen.
my point is that ****talk and hype is different.
even though there was (well-deserved) animosity in this aswell, its still just a ****ing chant. the football argument still stands, and having the opinion that we shouldn't do that is the same thing as having the opinion that football crowds should act differently.
Yes, I'm sure you're doing Leffen a great service. Calling someone out for their bull**** is fine....I don't think anyone should let people walk all over them. Calling out Leffen on an individual basis may very well be justified (NONVIOLENTLY). When gang mentality kicks in, it doesn't really hold the same effect.
I'd like to point out that I've never been in a physical fight in my entire life.
This has nothing to do with gangs. We don't shoot and kill each other. Quit being so upset about some trashtalk.
If somebody is a **** to an entire group he should expect to be hated by that group, and it is their right to express it.

batistabus

Smash Journeyman
but other fighting game communitys act the same way. it does not stop them from growing, and if anything it adds hype and excitement. people tend to get more excited about watching rivalry sets.

im not arguing against that, bringing unecessary conflict is the reason i hate leffen.
my point is that ****talk and hype is different.

even though there was (well-deserved) animosity in this aswell, its still just a ****ing chant. the football argument still stands, and having the opinion that we shouldn't do that is the same thing as having the opinion that football crowds should act differently.

I'd like to point out that I've never been in a physical fight in my entire life.
This has nothing to do with gangs. We don't shoot and kill each other. Quit being so upset about some trashtalk.
If somebody is a **** to an entire group he should expect to be hated by that group, and it is their right to express it.
Again, we're in a different situation than those communities. Rivalries are good. When Hax got to destroy Leffen in crews, that was hype, and that was justice.

Then why did you say you wanted to beat up my friends? xD

You refuse to understand that there is a distinct difference between a competitor and a pure spectator. A pro can join in with a crowd because he blends in with the crowd. If the crowd is all players, they don't have the luxury of anonymity. The fans aren't the ones that are expected to show good sportsmanship. Just because a punch of players are assembled together, it doesn't mean that they shouldn't be held responsible for their actions.

This isn't trash talk. Talking **** on the forums is fine, and it builds up hype for the actual match. I agree with this, but mob bullying is not hype. Just because it's not violent, it doesn't mean that it isn't wrong.

TaFoKiNtS

Smash Lord
I don't get how this equates to mob bullying. Bullying usually happens in a case where there is a victim that didn't really provoke anything. Leffen's previous history on the boards and being mean to people irl (heard a couple stories even at apex 2013) created the response.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
i'm pretty sure no one did **** to leffen after he was eliminated and even in his last tournament match vs javi, there were cheers overall for a great match.

goddamn you guys are being soft

this is coming from a brawl player, jesus christ

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
You refuse to understand that there is a distinct difference between a competitor and a pure spectator.
There isn't a distinct difference. Quit rambling incoherent nonsense to try to convince yourself and just accept that youre wrong.
This isn't trash talk. Talking **** on the forums is fine, and it builds up hype for the actual match. I agree with this, but mob bullying is not hype. Just because it's not violent, it doesn't mean that it isn't wrong.
Yes, this is trashtalk. The main thing it isnt is mob bullying. Have you ever seen real bullying?
Claiming this is bullying is the most ridicoulus thing ive ever heard since leffen claimed that me tricking him that a shot of beer was 70% appleliquorvodka was bullying. link to full story.
I can't beleive what a soft little ***** manboy youre being. Man up. Stop being a *****.
How can you consider it OK to talk **** online but not chant and boo? It makes no sense.
Then why did you say you wanted to beat up my friends? xD
Because if you think this is so terrible then you and your friends are a bunch of ****ies who need to be taught a lesson.

tldr: youre a soft little ***** whos trying to argue that it wasnt ok for ppl to chant against leffen because they participated in the tournament which makes no sense for a million reasons some of which i have explained.
now go watch bridget jones, eat your ice cream, cry to your manboy friends on the phone and talk about how massmurderers are actually victims of circumstance to seem smart and sympathetic.

The Business

Smash Journeyman
People are mad over a "leffen sucks" chant that lasted 8 seconds?

Go watch Shroomed vs silentspectre on waffles' channel rofl.

Ziodyne

Smash Ace
dance MM me then!!!
bring it *****

come down to socal anytime bro

and we'll do it if you're not all

"nah dude, i'm sick boohoo can't play at all"

(as you can tell, i still hold it against you LOOOL. btw good **** at Apex)

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I go to socal about once a year now and have never once met some loud-mouthed scrub called Ziodyne

(f*** you dude I get sick LMAOOO and thanks <3)

batistabus

Smash Journeyman
There isn't a distinct difference. Quit rambling incoherent nonsense to try to convince yourself and just accept that youre wrong.

tldr: youre a soft little ***** whos trying to argue that it wasnt ok for ppl to chant against leffen because they participated in the tournament which makes no sense for a million reasons some of which i have explained.
now go watch bridget jones, eat your ice cream, cry to your manboy friends on the phone and talk about how massmurderers are actually victims of circumstance to seem smart and sympathetic.
There is a very obvious difference.

You can come up with as many weird (seriously, what the hell?) insults as you want, that doesn't make you right. A group of people ganging up on someone from the safety of a crowd is not hype. Saying someone sucks hardly qualifies as trash talk. The chant was a stupid and disrespectful. It doesn't matter if he deserved it or not. Anyone with any beef with Leffen had plenty of time to shut up his bragging with smash. That's where trash talk pays off.

This isn't the end of the world. The smash community should not hang their heads in shame. Nobody thinks you're all horrible bullies. It doesn't hurt my feelings, and it probably didn't even hurt Leffen's feelings. This is just a stupid incident that demonstrated bad sportsmanship and shouldn't be repeated. I don't know how expecting players to respect each other is being a *****. I know Leffen doesn't respect others, but we don't need a whole crowd of Leffens.

:phone:

Top Bottom