• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why is Bowser such an unpopular character choice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

B!squick

Smash Master
Well Ixis, as long as you don't encounter too many penguins or whatever else might be you bad match ups, you should do really well.

And Thunder, if you can make it to top 8, that would be nuts. o.o

Thunderbolt333

Smash Apprentice
That would be crazy stuff m2k is gona be there so if i can possably get the top 8 it would give boozer a bump.

B!squick

Smash Master
I know M2K is crazy awesome, but Bowser does well against MK, especially if they don't act like a scrub and plank, which I've yet to see M2K do. It's the people other than M2K I'm worried about.

Rapax

Smash Apprentice
A silly question on the wrong place... Are there tournaments in austria? That would be nice^^
Then i could go for tournaments too, and after long time i would get better and better...

ZiggyZiggs

Smash Cadet
Bowser does need more loving. I'm actually going to a tourn in October in Alabama, I will be using Bowser in doubles and singles. So Wish me luck, and let us try to bring Bowser some props!

~Kyte

Smash Cadet
I'm gunna use bowser at basically the only notable tourney in washington (its monthly), but all the major washington players are here, so we'll see how that turns out...

i rep'd at genesis though! was totally awesome only got 4th in my pool though =(

B!squick

Smash Master
Aww. Well, maybe you'll have better luck closer to home Kyte. And remember Sonder, just using Bowser already makes you a pioneer. :)

~Kyte

Smash Cadet
lol yeah, only other bowser player i saw at gen was vex actually, although it was like a wtf moment when he apparently turned up in my room playing praxis as i walked in, epic moment in my life as a bowser main xD

~Kyte

Smash Cadet
he was playing G&W, i can't remember if he won cuz i had to explain to by bud misf8 and kev2k who he was, lawlz

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
I'm using Bowser at gauntlet next saturday, and I'll try my hardest to go all Bowser, but if worst comes to worse, I have Falco. Uh for IC's I have GW I guess, but no one in NY really uses IC's besides Cheese...but, lol.

Regardless, we'll see what's up. I just think Bowser isn't really used by anyone who does stuff [I'm talking America] besides Vex. Apparently Sliq is gone [Gen told me that] and Gen is in Georgia doing his own thing holding fast with Bowser.

Technodeath

Smash Champion
i've recently picked up bowser, as he was one of those characters i was sorta fairly curious about. i get beaten by my friends most of the time but im still quickly improving my game. i've stepped up from Link and Captain Falcon.

Good luck to Kyte and limit. as for bowser not being the most popular character, doesnt that make us unique in some sense? gives us a slight element of surprise on our opponents since i doubt they fight many bowsers

popsofctown

Smash Champion
I think Bowser is unpopular because he's overrated. Overrated characters get little play, underrated characters get lots of play. Examples: Zelda, Sonic

B!squick

Smash Master
Yeah, Bowser's UpB is SO terrible, you guys. His dash speed is so NOT average. His air speed is SO not amazing. And what's this some weak moves? They're all weak, though they're good for juggling.

And what's this "overrated" stuff? That's even more proposterous than Bowser's UpB being bad, which is a pretty lol worthy statement in it's own right.

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
LOL @ Bowser being overrated, ugh where's that picture of the tourney usage

Bowser is like the lowest dude on that thing, how in the hell is he overrated LOL

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
-First of all he's really hard to get good with. Well... at least I find the timing on his ground release chaingrabs pretty hard. That's what makes up a big portion of his game. That and I find it difficult to land a grab in the first place.

-He's the worst of the "big" heavy characters (DDD, DK, Bowser). Someone who likes to play a really big character with a good grab game can just choose DDD, who's way better.

-I think his defensive qualities are a bit overrated. While he's got good range and speed on his ftilt (good zoning tool), it has bad enough afterlag to get punished fairly easily by a majority of the cast. If his up-b is shielded, he's very vulnerable. (Even with how awesome a move it is, don't get me wrong) In fact, most of his good, ranged attacks are unsafe on block. Also, you can't play really defensively when most characters have a projectile, right?

-He's pretty bad when he's above his opponent. The other good heavies have things to help them get to the ground.
DDD: multiple jumps, great bair, swallow.
DK: bair, punch, forward-b for stalling a bit
Snake: b-reversing c4 and grenades, cypher, bair, nair.
Bowser is a big target and doesn't have a lot of options from above =horrible combination that turns off players.

Vect0r

Smash Journeyman
Isn't Ganondorf a heavyweight? If so, that means Bowser isn't THE worst heavy character.
Ganondorf makes Bowser look like DK o_O

Bowser takes a while to get used to compared to other characters, but MOST heavies have a much higher learning curve than lighter characters.

Bowser is NOT unpopular at all. Take a look on the Bowser board here, it's still pretty active compared to other character boards. Wolf, Ness, Lucas, and PT aren't so popular.

Bowser is still underrated, but not so much compared to Wolf. I believe Wolf is VERY underrated, he's really good, but still now he's being overshadowed by Falco, who is overrated and not that good to begin with. IMO he's just as good as Falco, but since Falco is THE most overrated character in Brawl, Wolf will never be accepted for his huge potential. What a **** shame.

Bowser still has his loyal followers, like many of you. Every character has its own fanbase, and Bowser is lucky enough to have a fairly large one. Maining Bowser means you're ready to accept Bowser's weaknesses and disadvantages, and letting others know that Bowser is still deadly despite his many weaknesses. Accept your characters' weaknesses, a wise smasher once said.

But that's exactly why not all players are ready to accept him with those weaknesses and thus stay away from him, taking the easy route and going for "easier" characters instead.

Oh, and whoever said Bowser is overrated, deserves a FALCON PAWNCH in the nuts.
Worst of all those words are ACTUALLY coming from an MK MAINER, and if Meta Knight isn't overrated, I don't know who is.
So I'm going to give this person the benefit of the doubt and assume he's trolling and not being seriously. Let's all hope just that.

-Jumpman-

Smash Champion
It's extremely simple. Bowser is slow, laggy, easily comboed and seems hard to play with on first sight. Bowser is not a bad character, but you have to consider he's mid tier and quite hard to get good with.

Vect0r

Smash Journeyman
It's extremely simple. Bowser is slow, laggy, easily comboed and seems hard to play with on first sight. Bowser is not a bad character, but you have to consider he's mid tier and quite hard to get good with.
Of course. Every Bowser mainer, and anyone else dealing with Bowser, should realize that Bowser is far from perfect. BTW, isn't he low tier, not mid tier? Whatever.

In fact, no character is perfect (except Meta Jesus, maybe, but he doesn't count)

Flayl

Smash Hero
Good god. Laggy yes, SLOW NO.

Panix

Smash Ace
Good god. Laggy yes, SLOW NO.
People need to stop saying slow, If I remember correctly he's the 6th fastest in the air. His Side b basically *and im saying basically * cancels when he lands that can go into another Side b or another move.

Bowser is fat, Heavy, and a little predictable besides his side B. Other then that bowser is not low tier (and I plan on abusing Bowser in Low tier tourneys <3)

B!squick

Smash Master
-First of all he's really hard to get good with. Well... at least I find the timing on his ground release chaingrabs pretty hard. That's what makes up a big portion of his game. That and I find it difficult to land a grab in the first place.

-He's the worst of the "big" heavy characters (DDD, DK, Bowser).
Did we forget about Ike and Ganondorf?

Someone who likes to play a really big character with a good grab game can just choose DDD, who's way better.
Why stop there? Someone who wants to have a good chance at winning consitently in any match up can just pick MK.

-I think his defensive qualities are a bit overrated.
Sure they are. You just keep telling yourself that.

While he's got good range and speed on his ftilt (good zoning tool), it has bad enough afterlag to get punished fairly easily by a majority of the cast.
If you shield it maybe, but that can be said of any attack.

If his up-b is shielded, he's very vulnerable. (Even with how awesome a move it is, don't get me wrong)
It's kinda hard to shield it when you're in the middle of an attack yourself which is really the only time it should be used, so I'm not sure what your point is...

In fact, most of his good, ranged attacks are unsafe on block.
... You mean his one bad ranged attack? Are you still talking about Bowser? O.o

Also, you can't play really defensively when most characters have a projectile, right?
This, saddly, is very true, though few characters have a projectile that's problematic.

-He's pretty bad when he's above his opponent. The other good heavies have things to help them get to the ground.
DDD: multiple jumps, great bair, swallow.
DK: bair, punch, forward-b for stalling a bit
Snake: b-reversing c4 and grenades, cypher, bair, nair.
Cypher takes you in the opposite direction of the ground, DK's punch (I assume you mean the neutral special?) hits at the side and puts you into free fall... And midair stalling with his side special sounds like a terrible idea to me.

Though it is very true that Bowser's weakness is below him.

Bowser is a big target and doesn't have a lot of options from above =horrible combination that turns off players.
ROB has the same problem, so there's more to it than that.

It's extremely simple. Bowser is slow,
No.

If you spam the smashes, maybe. Other than that the range makes up for the speed.

easily comboed and seems hard to play with on first sight.
I will agree with you here.

Bowser is not a bad character, but you have to consider he's mid tier and quite hard to get good with.
Eh, yeah.

I like how this topic has transformed into the Bowser mains telling others, "No... that's not true either... Bowser DOES do well against MK, you're just bad life... no, he's not over rated in the slightest..."

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Did we forget about Ike and Ganondorf?
Notice that I specifically said "big" heavy characters. Yeah, Ganondorf and Ike are heavy, but not big.

Why stop there? Someone who wants to have a good chance at winning consitently in any match up can just pick MK.
Well... yeah. What's your point?

If you shield it maybe, but that can be said of any attack.
Not true. There are many, many attacks that can be spaced so that you can't punish it out of shield. And Bowser's Up-b isn't one of them.

It's kinda hard to shield it when you're in the middle of an attack yourself which is really the only time it should be used, so I'm not sure what your point is...
>___>
Think. There's a thing called... spacing. Baiting? ever heard of them? No one should jump directly onto Bowser with an attack. That's just dumb.

... You mean his one bad ranged attack? Are you still talking about Bowser? O.o
That doesn't make any sense in context with my comment.

This, saddly, is very true, though few characters have a projectile that's problematic.
Pretty much anyone with a projectile can camp you. >_>

Cypher takes you in the opposite direction of the ground, DK's punch (I assume you mean the neutral special?) hits at the side and puts you into free fall... And midair stalling with his side special sounds like a terrible idea to me.

Though it is very true that Bowser's weakness is below him.
The cypher is a get away tool. If Snake loses his second jump he's still got a cypher that can boost him into the air where he can use his c4 and grenade shenanigans. Likewise, if he's falling at an opponent, he can just use the cypher to fly up to a platform or something. It gives him another chance to get to the ground.

Dk's punch can be a good tool against attacks, especially upon landing. It's got good range, SA if full-winded, and it's really quite strong. It's not a really great way to cover his landing, but it's another option he has that Bowser doesn't. That's the point I was trying to make.

Midair stalling with side-b is VERY situational, but it can be used sometimes.

ROB has the same problem, so there's more to it than that.
He's weak from below, but he doesn't have a major problem of landing on the stage. He's got a bair that'll boost him forward some, a nair that covers all angles around him, and an UpB that can transport him pretty far. He's not as big as Bowser, not as laggy, has safer options for getting back to the stage, and isn't hurt by all of the other things I listed above. They're really different.

Now that I've responded to your post, I'm telling you that I'm not going to go back and forth arguing about a character I really don't care anything about. I came in here because I thought I'd post a quick opinion. If I'm wrong about any of this, the other Bowser mains/users will recognize it. I don't have anything to prove to you either. Good day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom