• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why Is DK a hard matchup for MK

samdaballer

Smash Ace
I dont understand, he's relatively slow and a big target, but i guess killing him is a little hard due to his weight. Why is this matchup unfavorable though?

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
DK is not slow.

He's a hard match-up because he's heavy, strong, fast, and has better range than MK.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Its an even match up, if the DK knows how to camp and how to space very well, it should be in their favor.

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
do you think it's very unfavorable for mk? do you ususally go mk or switch it up
Nah, its slightly in MK's favor if the MK knows what to do. I can usually stick with MK, but using D3 makes the match-up a whole lot easier.

Shred_kid

Smash Cadet
You gotta watch out for the bair, its got ridiculous range and most DKs will approach with it. And yeah, just CP D3. Auto-win right there.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
You gotta watch out for the bair, its got ridiculous range and most DKs will approach with it. And yeah, just CP D3. Auto-win right there.
Not quite, sometimes, they know how to play vs D3. Just stick with meta and learn the match up, or just be mean and choose falco, and camp and dair.

Rh1thmz

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, basically, the heaviness, range, and power. together, make this one of MK's tougher matchups, just like the guys above said.

To my knowledge, the largeness of DK makes him subject to MT spamming (smart spamming, of course). You can use that to your slight advantage.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
DK's brilliant superarmour attacks (Fsmash, DK PUNCH, up b) will **** your MT spam.

If you try to approach from a distance DK's bair will go through it too. Donkey Kong also has down b that gives him much ground protection from any approach you have from infront of him.

DK's major weakness is good strong 'downwards' attacks (Fox's dair for example) which allow you to avoid many of his hitboxes towards his front. MK's dair is fast and good but it's downwards range is not fantastic.

AlbelsPanties

Smash Cadet
I think MK vs. DK is a matchup that is in DK's favor for low level players and gets progressively more in MK's favor as the players get better. DK has so much range and power than any mistake by MK is VERY costly. You only have to get hit by a couple of good DK hits to get taken out on some stages, so you can't let him get those chances. If you know your spacing really well and shut him down, he won't stand a chance, but you have to be quite good.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Range. That's DK's advantage.

I was playing 2 of my non-smasher friends in Brawl and one of them was DK. He spammed the ftilt the entire time and I actually had some difficulty approaching him as MK. I decided to wail on my other friend instead, and then when I got rid of him I had to take a step back and wait for an opportunity to approach.

Ultimately this story doesn't say much other than I have very little experience with the DK matchup as MK (I also switch to Dedede), but it still goes to show how much his range is.

Master Raven

Smash Master
This is sort of a confusing matchup, and seeing as how I main both characters and have fought both those same characters with either one, I think that, at the very least, this is an even matchup, but I think in the long run, DK somewhat has the advantage, even if both players know the matchup very well which could basically lead to anywhere.

Also can someone tell me how DK's Fsmash beats the tornado? It has never worked for me.

TKD

Smash Lord
DK's fsmash is bad against MK (just bad, if not horrible). It will probably always get punished. The match is all ftilt and shieldgrabs. DK has excellent range but mediocre priority. His KOs usually come from next to the edge grabs from above 50% and up/dsmash or upairs at high %'s. MK's KOs usually come from shuttle loop or dsmash at very high %'s.

If both players are great, neither of them will get hit outside the stage for KO's. LOL come on, MK being baired to death, DK getting daired? MK can airdodge and drill rush to the edge from a bit below and DK can go low, and upair to upB sweetspot, or even save the upair.

I think MK vs. DK is a matchup that is in DK's favor for low level players and gets progressively more in MK's favor as the players get better.
Metaknight is godly for low level players with every matchup in his favor. In higher levels of play he just keeps getting "progressively" worse, until he gets like 10 even matchups including DK. You're not the only one that gets better, other people do too.

Anth0ny

Smash Master
DK's range is the main problem against a MK. dtilt and ftilt are just ****. A good chunk of his moves cancel the tornado. MK is is light, so DK's incredibly powerful kill moves will kill MK at low %s.

Of course, you need to use MK's speed to your advantage, but against a great DK, that's not the easiest thing in the world. I'd say it's an even matchup.

Will_

Smash Journeyman
If MK didn't have the tornado, it'd be like 55/45 in DK's favor. But MK has the tornado. >_> I got fscked up at FAST1 trying to use DK v MK because all they did was wail on the b button. Also, they can string you badly after a dthrow, or any time DK is in the air and not in a position to bair or uair.

Honestly, I'd rather fight a good D3/Olimar/Marth than a nado-happy MK with my DK.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
how do you gimp him, i havent figures out a way to counter his up b
you start pressuring him into going higher, by falling below the ledge and doing an upb canceling on the stage/ ledge.

Top Bottom