• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why is For Glory aka For Tryhards?

Spirst

It does have a matchmaking system, you know? It matches you up with people that have similar W/L ratios.
Do you have proof of this? I have a win percentage at 94% and still get matched with people who barely know how to play well. I don't think there's a real matchmaking system. Seems more random to me than anything.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Do you have proof of this? I have a win percentage at 94% and still get matched with people who barely know how to play well. I don't think there's a real matchmaking system. Seems more random to me than anything.
Sakurai clearly said there would be matchmaking on the Smash Direct, I don't think he'd outright lie, he might be MANY, MANY, bad things, but I don't think he would go that low.

Spirst

Sakurai clearly said there would be matchmaking on the Smash Direct, I don't think he'd outright lie, he might be MANY, MANY, bad things, but I don't think he would go that low.
Hmm. I'm conflicted then. Sakurai has said some questionable things in the past and there really DOESN'T seem to be a matchmaking system in place, based on my experiences, but I'll give it the benefit of the doubt for now.

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
Last edited:

Aldri

Smash Cadet
As someone with a pitiful win rate who keeps getting matched against people who 2-stock me after knocking me around like a rag doll, I don't think there's matchmaking in place, or if there is, it's based off something else.

It might be based off "Global Smash power," which you get in game by doing random challenges and such (I think this because you unlock the GPS scoring after you go online for the first time). So if you're like me and you do well against CPUs, but suck against other human players, you die a lot in For Glory. :p

Doesn't bother me, though--I find it way more fun to play against people better than me.

Last edited:

Igneous42

Smash Ace
Yeah but there's no online ranking system or a matchmaking system either, its just random. The only for glory part is its competitive ruleset. I just don't see a point in trying so hard for nothing that even matters
I mean can't you say that for literally ANY game? Unless you happen to be a in the small pool of professional players who are actually playing as a career none of your matches REALLY matter. Some people like the more serious competitive way of playing more. For my part, I am loving for glory 1v1's. I'm not so concerned that I won't mess around as other characters fairly often, but you can bet no matter who I play as I still play to win. That is how it's fun.

JJpalmer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
jjpalmer
3DS FC
2664-2947-4020
Could not find it within myself to take this seriously. As a Link main, I can't really say that I'm playing unfairly, just playing my character extremely well. Nothing wrong with it when my opponent's can't deal. Get the concept of 'playing fair' out of your head and you'll begin getting better right away. Approach something that is 'unfair' with a different tactic and attitude, and just learn how to punish people for their habits.

Protip: punishing zoners or 'campy' characters is as easy as just being in their face. Typically, zoners struggle under close pressure.
lol i dislike campy play but the need to improve makes me want to spar with you some time

Ragemos

Smash Rookie
I'm not taking it so seriously. I'm getting matched up with alot of ppl with bad connection, and really I don't even want to call any of my laggy matches good wins or losses. Atleast 4/10 matches are people with good connections, so really I'm not even trying to keep up with my Win/Loss ratio.

Cho

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0018-2392-8423
Do you have proof of this? I have a win percentage at 94%
I got matched up with Spirst once- I have a win ratio of ~30-40 % - does not look like a well balanced match making system to me.

Also I can't agree to the statement that most people play purely to win - I rarely face players who make me think they don't enjoy this game because they spam a move constantly or play relatively. . . boring.
On the other hand... there is no chat or communication device so you don't really know what your opponent thinks.. the Internet is full of scumbags today, I'm not sure if the For Glory community is an exception.

Ferio_Kun

Smash Journeyman
I personally enjoy playing people much better than me. It's the only way I am ever going to improve. Even so, there was only 1 person whom I was just dominated by, the rest I've been able to figure out their play styles and take a few games off of them. Game on!

sunshinesan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
sunshinesan
3DS FC
2836-1118-8472
Ideally, everyone should have a 50% win ratio. The nature of how the match making works, how it just let you fight someone over and over until someone leaves is already a flaw that prevents this.

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
It doesn't matter if it's For Fun or For Glory. Everyone should play to win.

Because seriously, where's the fun on beating someone that's not even trying? Playing to win is part of the whole "having fun" experience.

Top Bottom