• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why is it that... (plasma tv lag)

luap

Smash Rookie
Why is it that when you play melee on a new plazma tv the reaction time from controller to tv picture is slower? You preform an action and 1/4 of a second later it responds. I have tried it with many tv's and the new ones seem to be slow.

SDC

Smash Lord
lol yeah the big tvs have lag in them. its just the bigger the picture and the whole lcd thing. i dont know, but my cable is the same way, my sony tv is a little behind my box tv up in my room. its interesting but i just think its somethin to do with the tvs

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
all tvs have a bit of lag. you can find the lag in ms. i don't know a lot about TV but basically anything thats ridiculously large or HD will have noticable lag.

Overload

Smash Lord
I've noticed the same thing on some TVs. I recommend picking up a different TV to solve this problem. Playing with that lag is unbearable.

Reaver197

Smash Lord
Any TV whose native resolution is higher than 480 has to upscale the video input to fit the screen, resulting in a lag. How bad the lag is depends on the TV, the size of it, and how well it's made.

Had0

Smash Cadet
Huh thats really interesting. I had no idea there was lag time on newer TVs.
I'm kinda curious to see what explains this scientifically...
Weird...

rhan

Smash Hero
Is there anyway to reduce the lag off the HDTV's? At my dad's house every room has a HDTV in it and only 2 of them feel lagless.

I'm kinda curious to see what explains this scientifically...
Weird...
I think it's mostly because the screen resolution is different from the game's resolution. Melee has a 480p or 480i video resolution and HDTV's have a different (higher) resolution, so the image needs to be converted to fit on the screen.

Lawlb0t

Smash Lord
Its probably lagging because it is converting the video. Plasmas usually don't have bad ms unless its 1st gen maybe. LCD HDTVs usually don't have a good response time, unless you look for specific model.

Corigames

Smash Hero
HDTVs have screenlag
it's something that happens
Get a good old-fashioned CRTV and own it up
^The painful truth at the moment^

For tournament play = SDTV
For ******* ab out/friendlies = HDTV

Also, you will go to tournaments and find out that, if you have to do frame specific things like SWDing, that you have to adjust to almost each and every god ****ed TV at the venue. It kinda sucks.

Top Bottom