• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why is Mario so bad?

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Mario is one of those characters who appears to be average. The problem with average is even though your not necessarily horrible at things., you aren't best at anything either.

I'm constantly seeing him low in most Tier lists (including mine) His KO potential seems below average, Specials are weak, tilts are meh, Only smash that really kills is Fsmash and that is at like 120-130%, Bair and Dair good for approching, but other than that he seems just.....bad compared to everyone else.

CriticalHit

Smash Rookie
haha why does mario suck? good question... yea i agree if your a character in SSBB, you better have something that stands out, some high priority moves or fast moves or something because a simple projectile, a cape, a water pump thingy isn't gonna cut it.

The real question is... why does nintendo make all the characters everyone is familiar with suck? I mean c'mon Mario, Yoshi, Link? I thought samus was good in SSBM but not anymore.

Uncle Fitzy

Smash Journeyman
It seems that Mario is mid-tier with players who know how to use him. There are character he absolutely demolishes and those that demolish him.

storm92

Smash Ace
He's a jack of all trades but a king of none.

Average char is average.
He's not bad, just very lackluster.

Kensei

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kenseithomas
Marios recovery is pretty poor compared to the likes of ROB...

Taymond

Smash Journeyman
The fact that he's a staple character almost guarantees his mediocrity, actually. In all of Mario's non-platformer games, he's a jack-of-all-trades type of character who is well balanced, at best, but excels at nothing. It's often easier to overcome disadvantages in a character than it is to create advantages that don't already exist. Characters that really shine are those with clear, gaping advantages and disadvantages. Advantages can be exploited and disadvantages can be reduced as much as possible.

Though Mario lacks glaring disadvantages, as an ever-average character in Nintendo's non-platformers, he has few advantages that can be capitalized on. Furthermore, in Brawl, the defensive game rules, and it's much easier for a player to be defensive than it is to be strictly offensive. So while almost any character gains immediate and superb defense capabilities, based on Brawl's game engine alone, only those with specific advantages (coupled of course, with disadvantages that impact the game less) are able to pull away from the crowd. Mario's lack of disadvantages is far less noteworthy than his lack of advantages.

???????

Smash Journeyman
What you say is true but you seem to misconstrue the term "All-around" with "average"; Mario has above average in nearly all his statistics making Mario highly versatile. It is true that Mario lacks any immediate advantages but the fact that Mario has virtually no true weaknesses of his own allows him to focus on exploiting the weaknesses of others. Mario is difficult to be played effectively since you must both capitalize on your opponent’s weakness and any advantages that Mario already has. Overall, Mario’s incredible versatility is both Mario’s weakness and his greatest weapon.

A few notes on Mario:

*Decent KO power with smashes*

*Powerful edgeguarding game; one of the best edgeguarders in the game*

*Decent recovery coupled a few techniques that prevent him from being easily edgeguarded*

*Freedom of approach; this is one of the most important qualities of Mario, he can approach safely in virtually any manner*

*Good juggler with fairly quick attacks*

*Lacks range; low range tilts and grabs are Mario’s biggest fallacies*

*I have been heavily experimenting with Mario with many successful and helpful findings, and can give a more descriptive analysis if you like and will try to answer any questions you have; I try to not be bias*

*I feel that Mario is High-tier because of his potential at high-level play where all factors come into play*

*I apologize if anything that I have said is interpreted as offensive, false, or bias*

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Mario isn't bad. He's actually good quite srsly.

He's AMAZING at ledgeguarding. He also has a good projectile, and a super super fast air game. Mario actually fits under the fast but weak type of character archetype if you ask me. His main weaknesses this time around are still range and KO power, and those weaknesses are less severe in Brawl.

The most important thing is that he's one of the best ledgeguarders in Brawl.

Mario also has an infinite. M2K said so. HIGH TIER PLS.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Yeah, but the problem is that this makes Mario UNDERRATED in the competitive scene when he's a completely unique character that is legitimately good. I mean seriously, where is the respect for him? He's the number one coolest video game character that nobody ever uses competitively.

I happen to main Mario (along with Mr. Game and Watch) btw.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Mario has a decent number of ways to KO his foes. Plus, he can set up combos pretty well too. His only drawback is his recovery.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
No, Mario's recovery is actually good in Brawl. The floaty physics make it easier to throw Fireballs, and his Up-B is one of the better ones for either grabbing the ledge or landing on stage.

katanagash

Smash Apprentice
Who the heck would start a topic just to say that Mario is bad? First of all, he's not bad at all. Second this thread should be in the Character Discussion for Mario specifically.

Daichi

Smash Cadet
BLASPHEMY!!!

Lol, Mario's not bad. It's just that hes not good either. He's average, your typical middle guy. Not bad at everything but not amazing either. And honestly, in brawl, nobody is bad as long as you use them right.

Top Bottom