• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why is RAR so hard?

flopplop

Smash Rookie
Im new to brawl and smash bros in general and wii is my first console, but following the advice on this forum i am learning to RAR with toonlink with GC controller.

Why is it so hard to execute? i have a hard time trying to execute one let alone two in succession.

i can do short hop to fair pretty consistantly and dodge into shield grab Dthrow then U/Dsmash charged, but thats about it.

I mean i dash then tap back + jump then forward A, but it doesnt turn your back sometimes, or you dont get the forward momentum and jump straight into the air with ur back turned. if vs cpu, its even an harder chance to do an RAR for me....any tips?

thanks

Kilikan

Smash Apprentice
lack of experience and eye-hand skills.

focus on practicing the timing.

smash direction » wait 2 sec » smash opposite dir. » wait 1/3 of a sec » hit jump button » wait about 1 second then bair and hold original direction unless s-sticking it.

memorize the order and focus on correct [approx] timing.

WakerofWinds

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sydrael
3DS FC
4699-5989-8229
Practice it in training mode with the slow speeds first, you'll eventually learn the timing.

Supax

Smash Apprentice
It's not hard, it just takes practice like everything else.. Practice in training or against CPUs, then try using it against humans. After awhile it just becomes second nature...

JonBeBonanza

Smash Lord
like mentioned b4 lack of experience, after a while it becomes second nature like teching and stuff, but if you really want to get good at it keep, away from the online it will teach you bad timing... unless you're playing someone with a GOOD connection.. but yeah you should try c sticking it

flopplop

Smash Rookie
kk thanks guys, i guess i just need practice, this technique stuff really fascinates me coming as a cs:s player :)

Phoenix~Lament

Smash Ace
Why don't you just Auto RAR? Is there something I'm missing that RAR'ing has over A-RAR'ing?

To Auto RAR, set your C Stick to Special (Known as a B-Stick). Dash, tap your Bstick in the opposite direction, and voila you automatically turn around while shorthopping in the direction of your dash.

flopplop

Smash Rookie
Why don't you just Auto RAR? Is there something I'm missing that RAR'ing has over A-RAR'ing?

To Auto RAR, set your C Stick to Special (Known as a B-Stick). Dash, tap your Bstick in the opposite direction, and voila you automatically turn around while shorthopping in the direction of your dash.
do many people auto-rar? is it good enough to overweigh the convenience of c stick smashes?

Habanero Pepper

Smash Apprentice
do many people auto-rar? is it good enough to overweigh the convenience of c stick smashes?
Bair combo's, or smash attacks. Can't have both at convenient intervals. In reality, it'd be up to preference. I've got my z trigger set to attack so I can just smash with that and the joy stick like in the good old days. Controller experimentation will take your game places. So try to find whatever works better for you

Y-button is grab for me btw.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
i rar withouht b sticking. its not that hard. i had to do it a lot before when i used pit

Robiin

Smash Cadet
RAR.. what does it stand for?
If I understand correctly, it is when you jump forward, facing backward. So you can do a Bair "forward". If you understand what I mean.. Am I correct?

MysticalBanana

Smash Rookie
RAR= reverse aerial rush
You're correct, you basically dash, jam your control stick backwards and jump. You'll be going towards your opponent with your back, setting you up for bairs.

Robiin

Smash Cadet
Okay, that's what I thought.. I don't think it's hard though...
Just practise to time it correctly, like.. Dash->jam control stick opposite direction->Jump & Jam the direction you were facing first.
Dash-Jam-Jam&Jump..

I'm not good at explaining though ^^

TLMarth

Smash Ace
Well I don't think you press Back and Jump at exactly the same time, I don't know where you got that from, you should press back a bit before Jump I think.

Aptera

Smash Cadet
There's always the option of changing the c-stick to special and pressing in the reverse directing while running?

Paranoid_Android

Smash Lord
Most of the techs in smash just require a lot of timing. I'm not a fan of slowing the game down and practicing in practice mode, because it teaches you improper timing, and is a waste of time unless you crucially need it. Go into practice mode and slow it down so that you can see when you should be doing the move. Then speed it back up and practice chronically until you've mastered it at full speed. Just like practicing against CPU's will teach you how to beat CPU's, practicing at slow speed will teach you how to play Smash slowly. Mastering the RAR shouldn't take you too long, but being able to execute it consistently and wisely in matches is where it really counts.

Eddy01741

Smash Cadet
Well, I "main" ike and I use the RAR all the time. Never knew about the Auto RAR till now, but I'll stick to the traditional method. I find c-stick smashes and aerials to be very useful for me, so I'm sticking to it.

Top Bottom