• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why is Snake winning tournaments?

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
His tilts and jab combo are all unsafe on block. Is this just really not a big deal?

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
Jab combo I could see being unsafe... but since when were his tilts unsafe? o_O;
For example, Wolf gets a free upsmash after shielding the last hit of forward tilt, and i'm pretty sure Marth gets a free forward smash. Uptilt isn't safe either.

Cat Fight

Smash Lord
NNID
NoGoodEndings
For example, Wolf gets a free upsmash after shielding the last hit of forward tilt, and i'm pretty sure Marth gets a free forward smash. Uptilt isn't safe either.
Utilt has the most deceptive range out of any move in the game. I really don't get how that move can be unsafe, heh.

If you are under the impression that yr gonna be punished for using yr Ftilt, or what have you, then keep yr opponent guessing... You don't have to finish both attacks of the Ftilt, y'know.

Cort

Apple Head
You don't have to do the 2nd part of ftilt which greatly reduces how often you'll get punished. Just using the first part of ftilt and jabs is enough to keep yourself spaced from pretty much anyone, and that's if you decide to approach in the first place.

Snake is winning tournaments because..

all of his moves can kill
he's either the 2nd or 3rd heaviest character in the game
he has extremely few 'even' matchups and only a couple considered not in his favor, but definitely no solid 'counters'
his punish out of shield game is godly
his recovery is definitely better than average
his projectile game is situationally useful
the mortar slide is -extremely- good

The first hit of ftilt comes out in 3 (? I'm 90% sure) frames, and if it connects is when you should do the 2nd hit for a total of 21% fresh. His utilt comes out in 5 frames, has absurd range, and ridiculous vertical KO power. His dtilt whiler weaker than the utilt still has pretty good vertical KO power and reaches further horizontally (somehow..)

Nair does 29% fresh if all hits connect and is situationally useful as you dobule jump back towards the stage to put up a good defense. It's also wonderfully useful against people that land on platforms that are forced to block it or take it, because it also decimates shields.

Eh, just check out my post here: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=4352660#post4352660

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
Utilt has the most deceptive range out of any move in the game. I really don't get how that move can be unsafe, heh.

If you are under the impression that yr gonna be punished for using yr Ftilt, or what have you, then keep yr opponent guessing... You don't have to finish both attacks of the Ftilt, y'know.

Yeah I guess mixing up the Ftilt is the only way to avoid being punished frequently. Also, uptilt has enough ending lag to be punished if the other person is fast enough. Guaranteed Fsmash from Wolf for instance and i'm sure other stuff works too.

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
You don't have to do the 2nd part of ftilt which greatly reduces how often you'll get punished. Just using the first part of ftilt and jabs is enough to keep yourself spaced from pretty much anyone, and that's if you decide to approach in the first place.

Snake is winning tournaments because..

all of his moves can kill
he's either the 2nd or 3rd heaviest character in the game
he has extremely few 'even' matchups and only a couple considered not in his favor, but definitely no solid 'counters'
his punish out of shield game is godly
his recovery is definitely better than average
his projectile game is situationally useful
the mortar slide is -extremely- good

The first hit of ftilt comes out in 3 (? I'm 90% sure) frames, and if it connects is when you should do the 2nd hit for a total of 21% fresh. His utilt comes out in 5 frames, has absurd range, and ridiculous vertical KO power. His dtilt whiler weaker than the utilt still has pretty good vertical KO power and reaches further horizontally (somehow..)

Nair does 29% fresh if all hits connect and is situationally useful as you dobule jump back towards the stage to put up a good defense. It's also wonderfully useful against people that land on platforms that are forced to block it or take it, because it also decimates shields.

Eh, just check out my post here: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=4352660#post4352660
Thanks for the info. Is his frame data posted anywhere? I would love to see it.

bman in 2288

Smash Journeyman
You want something interesting?

Snake's grenades comes out on frame one. Or two. It doesn't matter, the speed of which the grenade appears can greatly help in stopping chaingrabs (assuming their timing isn't completely perfect).

Cort

Apple Head
You can't really rely on your opponent being bad to stop otherwise inescapable CGs, but it is a fairly nifty trick.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
He's the second heaviest character in the game.
He's tied with Dedede for third heaviest. He's a fast faller like Dedede, so he has stronger resistance to vertical knockback then DK and Bowser. Dedede, however, is the fastest faller in the game, explaining his vertical resistance being stronger than Snake's and anyone else. When I measured horizontal knockback, I found the Bowser and DK are indeed heavier. Snake died at the same percents as Dedede. Didn't M2K make a list proving my point?

Cecilanius

Smash Journeyman
He's tied with Dedede for third heaviest. He's a fast faller like Dedede, so he has stronger resistance to vertical knockback then DK and Bowser. Dedede, however, is the fastest faller in the game, explaining his vertical resistance being stronger than Snake's and anyone else. When I measured horizontal knockback, I found the Bowser and DK are indeed heavier. Snake died at the same percents as Dedede. Didn't M2K make a list proving my point?
My mistake. I used an out of date list.

Danteh

Smash Cadet
I tought he was good because of mindgames, aren't his C4 and mines his most lethal weapons (if you know how to use them)?
I don't have the game yet :p Soon is coming....

Just A Gamer

Smash Cadet
Aye, the mine style weapons are excellent.

I get so many kills with my friends because they dont notice.

The C4 generally works best if you drop them while in the air. There's a slight flash, but if opponents are busy, they miss it.

*Mutes his tv when his friends come over to hide the sound of laying the mines*

NoobCake

Smash Apprentice
c4 is best used when they are on platforms. its easy to hide them and get people while the camera is away.
Yep, on thing like the lower platforms of Battlefield, they can get hit by the exploding C4 if they are standing below the platform, the hitbox extends that far. Putting mines on platforms are great too, if they jump from below.....

Well I think the point is that Snake is too good. The reasons for this can be found at many places throughout the boards. That is why he wins tourneys.

superman969

Smash Journeyman
Umm not necessarily the mines and C4...although they do help a lot. His mindgames in general are great, and his tilts are so, so, so good. Too good.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
F-tilt and U-tilt are good reasons for him to win..

He is just the best for the skill level we are at now, look at the weekly character discussion for some good points about him.

Formless

Smash Cadet
Snake's an unconventional character that people probably aren't used to. His standard attacks are quite strong as well. Brawl's low emphasis on technical tricks per-say and more on player strategy seems to make Snake a great character.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I'm not as convinced Snake is as good as everyone say. He lacks combos and can be countered by a fast character or one with a reliable projectile (read Pit and Falco). Not to mention the attack is either to slow or can easily be dodged with a sidestep and punished. Not to mention you can throw the gernades and Snake takes more damage from them then anyone else.

Probably better in the hands of a smart player but if you know how to fight Snake and are faster then your fine.

Life After Death

Smash Champion
pit and falco is easy to fight with sankie. like really easy to kill and fight lol. if u dont know how to get around camping then snake is done

PKboy89

Smash Journeyman
The only slow moves snake really has are his smashes...his jab is really fast, his tilts are pretty fast, the only slow aerial is his forward air spike...he's really only slow movement and mobility...snake lacks combos huh...wait...there are combos in brawl...?

Krayn

Smash Apprentice
All his other moves are amazing, except for air. His air is very situational. I think only the jab is the unsafe one. Most others are safe.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
you're asking why Snake-like seriously, why Snake is winning tourneys? That's like asking why I rock at life, I mean, is it that unclear?

/jokes

Edit: this is considered spammage unless I contribute: Snake's options in every situation are unlimited. He can pull out a grenade, shoot a mortar, uptilt, and ftilt at like everything. He's too powerful in the aspect of being so unpredictable, which is half of brawl.

Gindler

Smash Champion
Well as long as he stays out of the air he's fine. only really good aerial is his Bair, everything else is too slow. Other than that though he is heavy as crap, his ftilt is overpowered, and his uptilt has ridiculous range, even if his foot doesn't hit you the game makers screwed up and made the hitbox too big, last but not least...snake doesn't really have any bad matchups, or at least less than almost every other character in the game.

Top Bottom