• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why is there such a heavy bias against zoners in Competitive Smash?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
As someone who fought against Supermans in Injustice 1.0, I laugh at the Smash Bros. zoners. And I'm pretty sure any zoner is more beatable in any stage with platforms than any FD.
But yeah, zoners are obnoxious in For Glory. At least just obnoxious, not overpowered.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
But rolling and air dodging is incredibly effective. Sure, AD was nerfed, but it's still really good.

Like it or not, defense controls the pace in Smash 4, just like how Egoraptor said that jn Ocarina of Time the enemy controls the pace of the fight by making you wait.
Not that simple (offline, at least). It is optimal for characters such as Lucario, who loooooves keeping the game in neutral, but a lot of character don't function so well using rolls. The easy pivot options allow for a quick bait into F-Tilt/F-Smash that sets up for offensive potential on a successful hit instead of going back to neutral. When you roll backward, you lose a lot of space, as well; eventually you'll have no more space to safely back roll.

Airdodging is less effective with the improvements to most Jabs and the 22-frame airdodge landing lag greatly increasing the ability to trap landings. Again, this is something that is lacking in the 3DS version because precise control over movements is virtually impossible in some cases, so shorthop traps and quick initial dash -> stuff will be a lot more prevalent come the Wii U version. If movements weren't so clunky now, space wouldn't have to be completely respected as much, and offensive potential would be higher.

GdspdUblkprzdnt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GdspdUblkprzdnt
Becaus
The smash scene isnt "growing", if by that you mean it is freshly developing. Its been around for something like 15 years. The issue is that Melee is basically worshipped as the pinnacle of competitive smash (this is why people bemoaned the loss of wavedashing and hard directional airdodges in Brawl, why PM is a thing, and why threads dedicated to making Smash 4 "feel more like Melee" crop up much more than they should), and even characters who werent total rushdown in Melee, like Samus and Marth, still play incredibly aggressively compared to later installments. Melee, for better or for worse, cemented it into the people's minds that RTSD is the one true playstyle. Add to it the fact that there exists a stupid divide between the smash community and the rest of the fighting game scene due to overinflated egos and youre left with a large portion of smashers whose majority of competitive fighting game experience is from Melee, or at least the reputation that the game has.

You
The smash scene isnt "growing", if by that you mean it is freshly developing. Its been around for something like 15 years. The issue is that Melee is basically worshipped as the pinnacle of competitive smash (this is why people bemoaned the loss of wavedashing and hard directional airdodges in Brawl, why PM is a thing, and why threads dedicated to making Smash 4 "feel more like Melee" crop up much more than they should), and even characters who werent total rushdown in Melee, like Samus and Marth, still play incredibly aggressively compared to later installments. Melee, for better or for worse, cemented it into the people's minds that RTSD is the one true playstyle. Add to it the fact that there exists a stupid divide between the smash community and the rest of the fighting game scene due to overinflated egos and youre left with a large portion of smashers whose majority of competitive fighting game experience is from Melee, or at least the reputation that the game has.
I agree with your general sentiment. Our bias is melee heritage beyond a shadow of a doubt. I don't entirely agree with your math but in anycase I know a lot of immature 15 year olds. Do you really feel the scene isn't growing?

PokemonyeWest

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4770-2872
Because it's not as interesting to watch arguably requires less skill, at the very least mechanically and probably in terms of mentally as well. It invalidates even more characters than offensive focuses in games because there are a lot fewer chances for the dominating person to make mistakes, making comebacks less likely. This makes it even more obnoxious to watch. Essentially it is viewed as degenerative considering smashes style. It works in a game like street fighter because everything is more defined abd the arena is smaller; the non defending player doesn't have to play perfectly for as long.
"Arguably requires less skill" man what

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
You're not watching their hands, and you can't know what they're thinking. It sounds like you're already convinced that it takes less skill without being in their place.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Im curious, what exactly makes a game a "real" fighting game? What does smash as a series lack (or have) that discredits it as a "real" fighting game? Its a game where you fight, isnt it?

Assuming defense = purely shield button actions is a terrible assumption to make.
I guess I meant a more traditional fighting game, health bars, supers, etc. :p

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Im curious, what exactly makes a game a "real" fighting game? What does smash as a series lack (or have) that discredits it as a "real" fighting game? Its a game where you fight, isnt it?
While "real fighting games" is a poor choice of words, he actually makes a good point, which I consider to be the case for a lot of players here.

Generally, Melee was a special breed, and if it didn't have all the "ATs" like L-Cancel and Wavedash, it probably would play similarly to Smash 4, just at a faster pace. I say this because upon Brawl's release, everything that made Melee what it is today vanished, and this angered a lot of melee players.

But I'm fairly convinced that it's not Melee that brought the bias for zoners, but rather Brawl. It's not like Melee didn't have zoners either, but the game is much more faster-paced and zoning brought a means to an end, much like other Fighting Games.

However, in Brawl, the entire game is based on who could zone the best, which is why Metaknight is so broken because his zoning ability is leaps and bounds better than any other character in the game, and on top of that he is also capable of effectively punishing opponents in an effective manner. Brawl, in comparison to other fighting games, is extremely reliant on defender's advantage. Which is why zoning characters are generally seen as the best characters (which the exception of IC's, which are just broken in Brawl).

In Brawl, approaching a character is seen as an inherent disadvantage due to how the game's mechanics work. In all other smash games, approaching and zoning are all necessary tactics during the neutral phase. Fortunately, the majority of fighting games also fall into this framework.

The problem is people often identify zoning as just spamming projectiles. The spamming of projectiles is used to control space, and put yourself in an advantageous position. The most obvious scenario is in Street Fighter. Ryu spamming Hadoken, forcing his opponent to jump over it (or take chip damage forever), and then using his DP to get a hit confirm, and then get into position for an oki.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
this is SO~ true. From the beginning of competitive smash the rules themselves were set up to discorauge camping and timeouts. I've said it before but I think these crazy long timers make the camping game even more uninteresting to watch and play against there is never a sence of urgancy and without that there is no real sence of conflict. In most fighting games low timers force opponents to go in and be aggressive and take risks to avoid timeouts. In smash when an opponent feels like they can't get into a zone they can wait... they can wait up to like 5-6 minutes before time becomes a meaningful factor. Can you imagine a match of Street Fighter with an 8 minute timer?

Personally I think not taking advantage of the timer to add more tension to the match is really holding back competitive smash especially as a spectators sport.

PCHU

Smash Lord
If powershielding projectiles (to reflect them) or attacking to neutralize non energy-based projectiles was a thing again, it wouldn't be as big of a deal to me as a Dedede main.
The fact that I have low mobility, generally slow attacks (comparatively) both on ground and in air, and I'm a big target really makes it difficult to deal with zoners, especially considering that my only projectile gets reflected by almost everything and, apparently, has a glitch that renders it unusable for the rest of the match.
I have respect for people that are obviously solid players, but it's very irritating to play against because I have very few options against zoners and I don't particularly care to play any other characters; something about it all just doesn't seem as fun to me like it was in Brawl (despite what my mains say, Kirby was my main as well, and I have zero complaints there).

Again, I respect people who are good at the game and effectively zone (I've fought my fair share of Rachels and Nu-13s in BlazBlue as Tager), but it feels like it's a bit too easy to sit back and throw stuff this time around, and if you aren't gifted with mobility or range (which was, for the most part, globally nerfed), you're in for an uphill battle.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
"Arguably requires less skill" man what
You do know what the word arguably means right? To satisfy you though, from my experience in smash and other fighting games (BB and Marvel mostly), defensive playstyles are easier to perform and succeed with. By nature it is entirely reactive; you don't take the initiative. So all you have to do is know the coRrect choice for a given circumstance. Why do you think Ryu is the most recommended beginner character? His playstyle consists of throwing hados, forcing the enemy to approach and then simply choosing the coRrect option to reset them back to the other side (with a shoryu or down strong). It's simple, you only have to consider a few options in comparison to an attacker because you're only ever reacting. This is why balance has to favor offensive play at least slightly more than defensive play; ideally defensive choices are temporary options that let you get out of pressure, not sit at the edge and make it impossible for someone to approach without ridiculous risk while you only ever react.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
@PCHU (Delzoun) I'm not D3 main but I think you are underestimating d3's mobility and range and priority. Multiple jumps is HUGE against projectile users who in this game can't shoot diagonally. And with D3's relatively low landing lag you can comfortablly throw our aerials if you suspect an approach and still be able to cover your landing with your tilts. D3's damage out put is HUGE espeacially in comparison to samus, dhd, villager, etc. and he kills much lower and much safer.

none of the campy characters in this game have a lot of mobility so locking them up and punishing them as they try to escape your pressure is very meaningful too. I'm speaking from my limited experience but I can't see D3 being out right shut down by any of the projectile characters.

@ Gawain Gawain I'd have to disagree... you can't just spam fireballs and win. Hado has punishable start up and cooldown that every character can exploit at certain ranges. At low levels of play sure hado is a powerful tool but past that it transforms from a mindless safe option into a calculated commitment. The same is true for smash. every projectile is a big commitment this time (no more short hop lazer) With counters super armor and reflectors (as well as sheilds spot dodges and rolls) every character has a way to get in to or punish their opponent for making these comitments at poor times, just like in street fighter.

Its easy to be put off when you first start the game, but with time and effor you figure out how to punish these more defensive styles of play.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
I can't imagine you're a very popular person, anyone who takes joy in other people's rage is pretty gross
Clearly that shows they're passionate about the game, and the way you dismiss them as if they're not even worthy of playing you (lmao you're not even good) is extremely elitist, do you just want to kill off your smash scene by discouraging anyone from attending?
Like defensive playstyles are fine, enjoying a defensive playstyle is fine, enjoying other people getting mad at it shouldn't be the most you could ever enjoy playing the game. And your aura of elitism can't be good for a healthy scene.

If I'm playing "gay" or whatever, and someone's getting frustrated because they can't get around my zoning, I don't get off on their anger and laugh at how scrubby they are, i'd not enjoy it, in tournament I'd do it anyway because it's about winning, in friendlies I'd try and teach them how to get around it, and if I'm just better than them to the point the game isn't fun when I'm playing like this, I wouldn't keep doing it.
Sometimes those you consider "casuals" or "pretend competitive players" are those who are extremely passionate about the game but just don't quite have the right mindset for it yet, and you're clearly not helping them with that.
I think you are severely misunderstanding. If I zone someone out and win and they are looking for answers on how to deal with it, I'll be the most helpful and encouraging guy you can find and would have no problem whatsoever trying to talk through their playstyle to figure out why they can't deal with whatever is shutting them down or really help in any way I can. I don't trash talk, and I don't make fun of people. I do take satisfaction in a thorough defeat, but it's not going to be more than a grin they'll see for it. However, a lot of people just aren't in that boat or looking for why they lost and how to improve. They lose to stuff and just immediately blame the game, blame their opponent which actually makes no sense if you stop to think about it for even a moment, and somehow are constantly trying to assert that they're somehow better at the game than the person they just lost to even though, well, they just lost.

These people can't really be helped; they at best will eventually help themselves. Like I said, I don't have a problem with these people in the context of them being casuals who just enjoy playing with friends, watching streams, whatever. I even think in that context their attitudes are helpful in building a hero vs villain narrative. However, these people are fundamentally NOT competitive players, and if we treat them like competitive players, it really causes more harm than good as for every one of them there are probably two budding defensive players who are being put off by their toxic attitudes (there are not fewer turtles than rushdown players at any level of skill including low ones) and these are exactly the type of people who, upon continuing to lose to a lot of people (like you said, I'm not good so if I'm crushing them surely so many others will too), decide the real reason they lost is some high-minded reason like "Brawl sucks and takes no skill" which is an attitude I don't want to see take seed with this new game at all and certainly am going to do my part to encourage others not to take that kind of attitude seriously.

So what do you suggest we do with these people? You seem to advocate playing down to them and intentionally worsening your own play which to me is the worst of all. Beating them with strong defense and watching them get angry may rob them of the game and their dignity, but following it by playing down to them is robbing them of even their chance at redemption which is too cruel for me since I feel that, for whatever my best is (like you said, in a lot of contexts it probably wouldn't be viewed as very good), everyone I play deserves a shot at it and a chance to enjoy a win that means something. I will take utterly ridiculous attitudes with levity and will certainly encourage budding defensive players who haven't yet developed that thick skin to take joy in what they do instead of take these ridiculous criticisms to heart especially since the long term narrative of any defensive player will inevitably be the villain. I don't see a better way to handle this. If I'm not going to get joy from them being ridiculous and we know from the start that taking their ridiculous positions as having any merit whatsoever is not on the table, I'd have to get upset at them being ridiculous and get angry at them for their awful attitudes, and that would probably make things get way uglier way faster. I know realistically that there will always be people like this so... best to just enjoy the salt? Seems best to me especially since not taking that attitude seriously is probably the fastest way to help people who have what we might call severely misdirected passion turn it around; encouraging a bad attitude would seem to be the recipe for a worse one down the road.

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
Why do you think Ryu is the most recommended beginner character? His playstyle consists of throwing hados, forcing the enemy to approach and then simply choosing the coRrect option to reset them back to the other side (with a shoryu or down strong). It's simple, you only have to consider a few options in comparison to an attacker because you're only ever reacting. This is why balance has to favor offensive play at least slightly more than defensive play; ideally defensive choices are temporary options that let you get out of pressure, not sit at the edge and make it impossible for someone to approach without ridiculous risk while you only ever react.
I'm no Street Fighter expert by any means, but I've known plenty who have played the series over the years, and from what I've seen this is quite a misunderstanding of Ryu as a character. Ryu is considered a "beginner" character not because he's the easiest to win with but because his style reflects the very fundamentals of Street Fighter, and when you aim to master Ryu what you're basically saying is, "I'm just a better Street Fighter player than you are."

Also, it's a mistake to claim that because Ryu's basic gameplan is fireball, fireball, punish, that he's only being "reactive." Ryu's offense begins with his Hadouken, and he doesn't necessarily need to throw it in "response" to anything. When he does throw one, it can be a defensive measure, or it can be the start of his offensive pressure. Just because it's not a fist doesn't mean it's not an active decision.

Last edited:

PCHU

Smash Lord
@PCHU (Delzoun) I'm not D3 main but I think you are underestimating d3's mobility and range and priority. Multiple jumps is HUGE against projectile users who in this game can't shoot diagonally. And with D3's relatively low landing lag you can comfortablly throw our aerials if you suspect an approach and still be able to cover your landing with your tilts. D3's damage out put is HUGE espeacially in comparison to samus, dhd, villager, etc. and he kills much lower and much safer.

none of the campy characters in this game have a lot of mobility so locking them up and punishing them as they try to escape your pressure is very meaningful too. I'm speaking from my limited experience but I can't see D3 being out right shut down by any of the projectile characters.
As a Dedede main, you kinda overestimate his landing lag and mobility.
Locking people down is key, but chasing isn't exactly his strong suit, not to mention those aerials you mentioned have more startup in comparison to Samus, DHD, and especially Villager; it doesn't matter if I can do all the damage in the world, I need to catch these characters first.
I've been playing a lot more carefully as of late and experimenting, and while Dedede is pretty good in comparison to the "lower end" of the cast, it gets a lot tougher when he's dealing with anything that can follow him in the air.
Ftilt is a brilliant spacing tool, but I find that a lot of characters are able to powershield -> roll behind -> punish with a smash before I even finish spinning the hammer.
I won't deny that he has some tools which can be used in great ways, and I'm possibly just awful at the game, but against people I need to approach, it can get very tough to get in because he's big and easily interrupted.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
This is the exact opposite of the Street Fighter scene. Show someone a good zoning Dhalsim or Sagat in SFIV and people give nothing but props and respect. It's hard to play perfect zoning. Though I will admit zoning is alot easier in this game compared to Street Fighter.

CAUP

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, I think the hate of campers comes from the inherent formula of Smash. In smash, if you're camping, you are PHYSICALLY RUNNING AWAY FROM YOU OPPONENT. In other fighting games, the fighters are always at least close to each other. Camping in smash makes it seem like the opponent is a coward and running away even when that is not necessarily true.

Furthermore! Tiers have something to do with the hatred. In Brawl Metaknight, a camper, was hated because he was so much better than everyone else and he was so easy to play. When people resort to a camper to win a match when they're not really more skilled at the game,they get hate.

I'm a Peach main and when I destroy someone the first match and they switch to Jiggs and beat me/ the match is close it makes me angry.

The hatred lies in that campers are often hard counter picks.

dguy6789

Smash Lord
It is pretty much just the newbies that complain about zoners/campers/projectile spammers and nobody else in the Smash scene.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
I'm no Street Fighter expert by any means, but I've known plenty who have played the series over the years, and from what I've seen this is quite a misunderstanding of Ryu as a character. Ryu is considered a "beginner" character not because he's the easiest to win with but because his style reflects the very fundamentals of Street Fighter, and when you aim to master Ryu what you're basically saying is, "I'm just a better Street Fighter player than you are."

Also, it's a mistake to claim that because Ryu's basic gameplan is fireball, fireball, punish, that he's only being "reactive." Ryu's offense begins with his Hadouken, and he doesn't necessarily need to throw it in "response" to anything. When he does throw one, it can be a defensive measure, or it can be the start of his offensive pressure. Just because it's not a fist doesn't mean it's not an active decision.
Don't get me wrong, I am not ragging on Ryu or anything. What I was trying to say is that Ryu is effective because his gameplan is really solid. I would also argue that throwing the fireballs out is in response to the enemy's inaction at the opposite side of the arena. It's basically just his standard neutral. I would posit that this is a defensive maneuver more than an offensive one, since the intention isn't really to do damage with hados it's just to force the opponent into a position where they have to approach you in an unsafe manner. We could argue all day about the semantics of offense and defense though, so I'd rather not get into it if you don't mind. Though I think we can both agree that throwing projectiles at a safe distance forces your opponent to approach (unless they have an equally strong one).

@ <π
Well I'm not saying that It's impossible to approach a strong ranged game, in Smash or in SF. You said it yourself: "every character can exploit it at certain ranges." The issue is that it's a whole lot easier to maintain that safe range in Smash than it is in say Street Fighter. If someone is in your face in SF then you are forced to respond to it with blocks and counter attacks or throws. The offensive player can hold on to control for a lot longer once he gets it. In Smash, especially in 4 and especially on the Omega variants, simple rolls are often enough in conjunction with other tools to easily escape rushdown since a lot of the characters with good ranged game are also fully capable of escaping pressure, and follow ups are really difficult for some characters, especially again on the Omega type stages. You would be correct in that ranged attacks are pretty punishable when used at improper times, but the amount of time one is vulnerable at is not very much and requires a lot of precision considering that all the defensive guy is doing is sitting at the ledge and throwing stuff before you are right in their face in which case they can just shield and dodge all day.

Furthermore, this thread is more about the perception of defensive playstyles. I've yet to see a compelling argument as to how defensive play is as exciting or interesting to spectate in the Smash series. Comparisons to other fighting games don't really work in regards to this because they're simply faster in general. Rounds in pretty much every other fighting game only take about 90 seconds at the most. Defensive play in Smash often leads to 6 minutes or more per round, even in Melee. That's pretty excessive no matter what way you slice it imo.

Last edited:

Roko Jono

Smash Apprentice
It's simple, when people lose to someone with "less skill" than them, they pop off and get mad.

When you see a lot of people complain, especially with a new game with new players, think of this: There may be 1 million players, but only a select minority actually play to grow. Complaining doesn't help grow.

Last edited:

S2

Smash Lord
If they are filled with anger, cry out in discontent, and express with gusto how you have no skill and how your character is cheap with your lame camping, you've defeated them in earnest which is glorious. At that point, you've proven both in play and in mind that you are superior to them as you have robbed them of both the game and their dignity. Once you understand what it is, it's truly the most wonderful of moments, and I wish earnestly that every aspiring defensive player should experience this joy at least once.
I've got to say that the way you phrased this made me laugh. Regardless of the game, I still always get the image of people playing SF2 and crying about how "cheap" those Ryu fireballs are whenever people complain about this stuff.

But yeah, it's not just Smash (although the projectile complainers are big here) that suffers from an anti-projectile bias. It just comes down to newbies and scrubs complaining because they lost to something. The reality is that rushdown characters always end up being pretty good in most fighters. Melee really favored them. Heck, even Brawl, was dominated by a rushdown character in an engine that favored more campy playstyles.

Both playstyles are legit and a fighting game should try to have a mix of playstyles, not every character needs to be rushdown and players don't have to apologize for not playing them as such.

Cornstalk

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cornstalk
Here's what I've noticed as a casual 1 on 1 player:

Out of the box, camping is seriously frustrating to deal with. Rolls feel impossible to punish. Getting in on someone spamming a projectile with enough skill to knock you away and reset the whole thing are rage inducing. It's easy to get mad and see it as hopeless.

The players that repeatedly complain about this will probably never place high enough to win money in even a small tournament. This is because they're unwilling to take the time to calmly learn how to deal with it, weather it be practice or trying a new character.

I started this same way. At one point a friend was doing nothing but rolling from one side of the stage to another playing ROB and hitting me with projectiles every time I was far away. Since then I found characters that can better cope with punishing rolls and getting around projectiles. I'm not going to place high in a tournament any time soon, but at least I feel better equipped to maturely deal with play styles that initially overpower me.

Custom moves will help! For the health of the game I seriously hope custom moves will be allowed, even if you have to declare and explain each special you are using to your opponent.

Ganondorf is a great example of this. He gets a Down-B variant where he jumps into the air (when started grounded) and comes down at a diagonal angle. Many projectile characters cannot get out of their lag fast enough to avoid this when spaced right. Ganon sails right over the projectile and gives them evil purple foot to the face.

That one change to Ganon's moveset allowed me to go from getting completely wrecked by my friend's Samus to a surprisingly even fight because of having a way to punish the projectile spam that was previously unavailable.

As far as how long the matches go...
I always considered the non-fixed KO point of Smash to be the stand out difference between it an pretty much every other fighting game. SSB4 may not have the speed or hype combos that Melee does, but a 2 stock 6-8 minute match really highlights this unique feature of the series. Two fighters both over 100% vying for that final hit can be a pretty intense moment even to spectators. It also makes low % gimps all the more impressive and demoralizing.

The more I practice with Smash 4, the more I find myself enjoying the choices they made (for the most part) in how they balanced the game. For a game that plays like Melee, we have Melee and Project M. If Smash 4 handled just like melee, I think I would have really felt ripped off in the long run because it was just another franchise rehash instead of a game that tried to have its own identity within expected confines of a series.

Zanestat

Smash Rookie
I know people have essentially said this before, but it turns the game to a snooze fest if you are also playing a Zoner or a character is naturally slow. The only time up I ever have only is if I am dealing the the Stereotypical Zoner/"Spammer".
Plus as a person who plays Squigly in SkullGirls I have a lot of pent up hate towards zoning, if any of you know where I am coming from.

LightLV

Smash Ace
I just joined, and would like to help chime in on this.

Coming from many 2D competitive fighters (where I commonly main or sub a zoner), I'd say it's 3 compound reasons why competitive smash has this issue where nobody has any respect for zoning.
1) Zoning in Smash Brothers is mostly a defensive art
2) Defensive options have become incredibly biased in Brawl and Smash 4
3) Traditional benefits of offense (combos, edgeguard, pressure) are commonly nerfed in later smash iterations.

You gain very little by closing distance between zoners in smash, because their options for gaining distance are vastly greater than your options for approaching, meaning they usually control the pace of the match.

---------------
People talking about Street Fighter fireballs
See, in Street Fighter (or any 2D fighter really) spacing is an big thing, because your back to a corner is a disadvantage, and your options for gaining space are balanced out by your enemy's methods for approaching you. Your general options are:

a) Jump over them, which is risky because you cannot defend in the air.
b) Push them out offensively, which still has you at a disadvantage because your enemy controls more space than you.

However, for a ZONER, the optimal choice is:

c) Maintain favorable spacing with your zoning tools, thus controlling the space your opponent has to approach you.

You can't just dodge roll, jump, and repeatedly air dodge out of a corner in Street Fighter, Blazblue or Guilty Gear -- you're going to probably get poked out and catch a corner combo and now you're dead. If Ryu is spamming fireballs, and one gets correctly read and I jump over it and punish you for it, well, now im in your face. you can no longer throw fireballs at me. Your zoning options have just been shut down.

And this is where the comparison to zoning in Smash immediately ends.

------------

Essentially, zoning is always going to be frustrating in Brawl/Sm4sh because unlike in other competitive games, i really don't gain an equal amount of momentum. I don't remove anything from you, I just hit you, and now (In MOST cases) we've just been reset to neutral, and you're free to zone me some more.

Gaining and maintaining distance in a game where dodgerolls can clear the length of the map faster than dashing with nearly no unsafe frames, and shields that punish nearly everything isn't much of a feat. Nobody respects it because beating it requires more effort than just doing it.

Last edited:
Becaus

You

I agree with your general sentiment. Our bias is melee heritage beyond a shadow of a doubt. I don't entirely agree with your math but in anycase I know a lot of immature 15 year olds. Do you really feel the scene isn't growing?
I'll admit it was a rounded up estimate. Looking at it now, we're just four days away from Melee's 13th anniversary. And when I rejected the second poster's notion that the smash scene is growing I meant that it isn't still in its infancy. Communities are infinitely evolving. Sure, it doesn't have the seniority that the rest of the community has when you take into account Tekken, Street Fighter, the vs. Capcom games, Guilty Gear, Mortal Kombat, etc, but to say that Super Smash Bros. has not yet cemented itself as a major contender in the competitive fighting game scene and is still experiencing "growing pains" is, I think, wrong.
Because it's not as interesting to watch arguably requires less skill, at the very least mechanically and probably in terms of mentally as well.
I really hope you're not serious when you say that spacing-intensive playstyles require less skill than more aggressive ones...
It invalidates even more characters than offensive focuses in games because there are a lot fewer chances for the dominating person to make mistakes, making comebacks less likely.
Every time Marth begins an attack, every time Rosalina sends out Luma (or chooses not to), every time Samus decides how to space a missile, every time Peach inputs either an approach or a retreat during a float, in every one of those circumstances, the player is making a calculated risk, and there is, mechanically, a huge chance for error. The return or degree of penalty for executing the chosen maneuver isn't any less than that given or incurred by rushing down. But given just how vital it is NOT to **** up yor spacing or zoning due to the character, the player puts in the effort to minimise the possibility of these risks becoming realities. The playstyle has an artificial appearance of low risk-high return.

If you compare a player who has just begun to play, say, Jigglypuff, with a player who has a moderate amount of experience with the character, to another play who has "mastered" the intricacies of the character's specific brand of spacing, you'll probably notice a huge gap in the "error" against the same player playing the same character between just the beginner and the intermediate. What I mean to say is that you'll see the beginner having their spacing punished much more often than the intermediate. "Well of course. The beginner, by definition, is deficient in skill when compared to the intermediate player." This is true, but if zoning really were as a fundamentally safe playstyle as you seem to be implying it is, then you wouldn't be able to perceive such a large rift in skill because the strategy has such a high baseline of success. All strategies afford "fewer chances for the dominating person to make mistakes" at the highest levels of play, and I wouldn't say spacing sets the bar particularly lower than any others.

This makes it even more obnoxious to watch. Essentially it is viewed as degenerative considering smashes style. It works in a game like street fighter because everything is more defined abd the arena is smaller; the non defending player doesn't have to play perfectly for as long.
Whether or not a match is entertaining to watch is ultimately of little significance and judging the validity of a strategy on that basis would be judging it purely subjectively. It is viewed as degenerative considering Melee's style. I will concede though that in games with "cage match" sort of stages, zoning isn't as favoured as it is in Smash's "open" stages.

Edit: I just read your other messages regarding Ryu. I would say that zoning/spacing are distinct from reactionary playstyles. Spacing (in my mind) implies that you are willing to approach, but you are only going to approach in a way that minimises risk for you. Weaving in and out with your aerials as Marth/Jigglypuff to land sweetspots and reduce shieldlag/the chance that you'll get shieldgrabbed is an example of how I would define spacing. Reactionary strategies can be effectively used by a lot of the cast if you have moves that allow a frame advantage or are relatively safe on block. But in a situation where a reactionary player is against a spacing player, the reactionary player will only win if their opponent makes a mistake. By definition the lesser will not approach, which actually decreases risk for an experienced zoner. In short I would say reaction is a strategy that is only effective up until a certain experience threshold.
Honestly, I think the hate of campers comes from the inherent formula of Smash. In smash, if you're camping, you are PHYSICALLY RUNNING AWAY FROM YOU OPPONENT. In other fighting games, the fighters are always at least close to each other. Camping in smash makes it seem like the opponent is a coward and running away even when that is not necessarily true.

Furthermore! Tiers have something to do with the hatred. In Brawl Metaknight, a camper, was hated because he was so much better than everyone else and he was so easy to play. When people resort to a camper to win a match when they're not really more skilled at the game,they get hate.

I'm a Peach main and when I destroy someone the first match and they switch to Jiggs and beat me/ the match is close it makes me angry.

The hatred lies in that campers are often hard counter picks.
Metaknight was generally disliked in Brawl because nearly all of his options were mechanically safe. Even taking (relative lack of) skill into account, Metaknight is harder to put at a disadvantage because of the low starting and ending lag on attacks and the sheer amount of overall transcendent priority his moveset has. Two out of his four specials have it (Shuttle Loop and Dimensional Cape), and all of his standard attacks have it too, except for dash attack. This is just plain difficult to deal with.

Last edited:

otter

Smash Ace
An I the only one who loved seeing Young Link vs Puff at evo? Really interesting matches.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
You kinda have to have some kind of douchey attitude like AA says he does to play with scrubby mentality players and keep your sanity.

If you treat them like friends who are addressing you as an equal, then the caustic hurtful comments they are using to cushion their own ego are going to hurt, and it's not fair to be expected to bear the penalty for your opponent's own issues with humility. You have to put on some kind of paradigm in your head where in some way you are not hearing complaints from a peer to protect your emotions from undue harm.

I mean, I don't know if that's why AA does it, but I have a thin skin, so I often have to do something like this and found some of his post resonant for that reason. I don't think it means that I'm a bad person.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
You seem to be grossly missing the point of my posts. I do not consider a character like Marth to be defensive in the context I was speaking in. I was talking primarily about the application of rolls in playstyles that favor a sort of "keepaway" or ledge camping. I don't believe that characters like Marth and Jigglypuff will have much success sitting on the ledge. Spacing attacks while you are approaching and sitting at the ledge shielding and throwing projectiles are two entirely different things. Yes, I do believe that sitting at the ledge waiting to respond takes less skill. Much less, to be blunt. You are reducing the number of options and reducing the margin of error by playing like this.

I also think that you are underestimating the value that a games spectator-ness has. There's a reason hardly anyone watches Brawl matches. It's exactly the same reason that Brawl has a really low playerbase, and it's got nothing to do with Melee or Smash 64.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Essentially, zoning is always going to be frustrating in Brawl/Sm4sh because unlike in other competitive games, i really don't gain an equal amount of momentum. I don't remove anything from you, I just hit you, and now (In MOST cases) we've just been reset to neutral, and you're free to zone me some more.

Gaining and maintaining distance in a game where dodgerolls can clear the length of the map faster than dashing with nearly no unsafe frames, and shields that punish nearly everything isn't much of a feat. Nobody respects it because beating it requires more effort than just doing it.
In Brawl, that would be the general case. In Smash 4, that would be hyperbole.

In Smash 4, it is "I hit you, and now you're in an disadvantageous position against me."

This can mean a multitude of things. The zoner could be in the air and above me, unable to zone me since the horizontal advantage is no longer present (Duck Hunt Dog is a strong example of this). The zoner could be off stage ( which is the strongest comparison with being locked into a corner in SFIV), or the zoner could be grabbed and put into a combo, or I could be right in your face, and you have to react to that, otherwise I'm going to press my advantage. Momentum absolutely exists in Smash 4, especially since projectiles have been nerfed across the board. It just focuses more on limiting their free movement.

LightLV

Smash Ace
Spacing attacks while you are approaching and sitting at the ledge shielding and throwing projectiles are two entirely different things. Yes, I do believe that sitting at the ledge waiting to respond takes less skill. Much less, to be blunt. You are reducing the number of options and reducing the margin of error by playing like this.
The problem with Smash is that in most competitive cases, campy play is just exploiting a lack of counterplay to it. If Smash gave some balancing leeway to offensive players in the form of negative penalty for camping, i think it would really help the quality of the game overall. For instance, the same way stale move reduction will drastically weaken the kill potential of a frequently-used attack (terrible mechanic, but that's another discussion), they could add a defensive version that increases damage taken (or raises knockback, or both) of a player who extensively abuses dodge rolls, air dodges, sidesteps and ledge grabs in succession without doing anything else.

This would allow players to get away with camping, but just discourage it by making it a risky strategy. Which would counterbalance the reason it's popular -- the fact that it's mostly safe. There's no reason not to play campy in smash if your character is able to. This game doesn't really have "zoners", as much as it has "characters with moves that force you to approach them."

Edit: I just thought about just how much of a good change i think this would be. Not only for competitive smash, but matches in general, specifically Free-for-All. Similar to the Melee bonus "Oppertunist", players who stay out of proximity for longer periods of time would be penalized, discouraging them from being that guy who inevitably forces everyone to play teams or 1v1 anyway because he's a campy douche.

In Brawl, that would be the general case. In Smash 4, that would be hyperbole.

In Smash 4, it is "I hit you, and now you're in an disadvantageous position against me."

This can mean a multitude of things. The zoner could be in the air and above me, unable to zone me since the horizontal advantage is no longer present (Duck Hunt Dog is a strong example of this). The zoner could be off stage ( which is the strongest comparison with being locked into a corner in SFIV), or the zoner could be grabbed and put into a combo, or I could be right in your face, and you have to react to that, otherwise I'm going to press my advantage. Momentum absolutely exists in Smash 4, especially since projectiles have been nerfed across the board. It just focuses more on limiting their free movement.
The air is certainly more dangerous in Smash 4 than in other smash titles. In fact in my experience, being airborne is more dangerous than being off the edge since the side blast zones are so laughable. But it's still a farcry from being cornered in SF4, or being off-edge in Melee.

Last edited:

The MC Clusky

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0404-6991-4531
Guys, I have the answer.

Smash attracts many people who do not play competitive fighters. Many newcomers to this board fancy themselves as competitive, but start mixing in words like honor, fair, and cheap.

They are not competitive. They are not playing to win.

Go read Sirlin's Playing to Win. It's all available for free on his website.

The second you start calling something cheap instead of doing something about it, you're not trying to play to win, you're whining.

Stop blaming Melee. Scrubs whine about camping in virtually any competitive game.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
The problem with Smash is that in most competitive cases, campy play is just exploiting a lack of counterplay to it. If Smash gave some balancing leeway to offensive players in the form of negative penalty for camping, i think it would really help the quality of the game overall. For instance, the same way stale move reduction will drastically weaken the kill potential of a frequently-used attack (terrible mechanic, but that's another discussion), they could add a defensive version that increases damage taken (or raises knockback, or both) of a player who extensively abuses dodge rolls, air dodges, sidesteps and ledge grabs in succession without doing anything else.

This would allow players to get away with camping, but just discourage it by making it a risky strategy. Which would counterbalance the reason it's popular -- the fact that it's mostly safe. There's no reason not to play campy in smash if your character is able to. This game doesn't really have "zoners", as much as it has "characters with moves that force you to approach them."

Edit: I just thought about just how much of a good change i think this would be. Not only for competitive smash, but matches in general, specifically Free-for-All. Similar to the Melee bonus "Oppertunist", players who stay out of proximity for longer periods of time would be penalized, discouraging them from being that guy who inevitably forces everyone to play teams or 1v1 anyway because he's a campy douche.

The air is certainly more dangerous in Smash 4 than in other smash titles. In fact in my experience, being airborne is more dangerous than being off the edge since the side blast zones are so laughable. But it's still a farcry from being cornered in SF4, or being off-edge in Melee.
Well it's not so much being in the air as being above your opponent. Very few characters have good options in this situation. It's still not as bad as being above your opponent in Smash 64 though.

Epok

Smash Ace
Guys, I have the answer.

Smash attracts many people who do not play competitive fighters. Many newcomers to this board fancy themselves as competitive, but start mixing in words like honor, fair, and cheap.

They are not competitive. They are not playing to win.

Go read Sirlin's Playing to Win. It's all available for free on his website.

The second you start calling something cheap instead of doing something about it, you're not trying to play to win, you're whining.

Stop blaming Melee. Scrubs whine about camping in virtually any competitive game.
Very much this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elLLAKEJGXA&list=PLZbBoZgd9o1mVN2-CnS4yfbhIEbpJFrWp#t=157

Cottoneyes

Smash Rookie
Despite me playing along the lines of "grappler" archetypes I do understand zoning in many games and why it works.

I can't really see myself complaining about something that people tend to refer to as no skills when it takes just as many reads and set ups to do their job just like it takes me patients to get in to do mine. Having a wall as a zoner is a skill all on it's own cause once it breaks down they have to use what little tools and fundamentals they have to get back into the position they favor which is always easier said than done.

luigijerk

Smash Cadet
If people could actually do more than an aerial or two before the zoner runs away we wouldn't be having this discussion.

I beat almost every zoning scrub I come across because they just lazily rely on the easy spamming. When people are skilled AND campy, then it is admittedly very difficult to win. There just aren't punishing enough combos to justify navigating through all the projectiles AND outplaying them once you get inside (because good players will be able to fight back once you get through the projectile spam).

In street fighter it is much harder for them to escape once you get in, and you can punish with meaningful combos.

hariooo

Smash Apprentice
Fox and Falco are the campiest characters in Melee if you play them that way. They just also happen to be heavily punished once they're opened up.

Nothing's wrong with zoning if there's an actual punish game.

But whatever guys keep making the exact same arguments people made in support of Brawl back in '08.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Fox and Falco are the campiest characters in Melee if you play them that way. They just also happen to be heavily punished once they're opened up.
Other characters can be punished harder than they can and don't have nearly the amount of upsides and ability ti punish as hard as spacies can.

Also this isn't Brawl is hardcore camping an issue right now.

Last edited:

MegaMissingno

Smash Ace
NNID
missingno
Zoning in Smash is very different from zoning in Street Fighter or other games. In Smash, you have a wide open stage that's easy to run around. In Street Fighter, movement is much more restricted, and there's a solid wall on the ends of the stage where you can't back up any further - you have to either find a way to push your opponent away from you, risk jumping over, or successfully score a hard knockdown so you can cross. Zoning is much harder to do, and you're still actively engaging with your opponent the entire time. Furthermore, most traditional fighters have a 99 second timer (times 2-3 rounds) so it ends after a reasonable time span, whereas in Smash you have to put up with 8 whole minutes of it. That gets draining.

Of course it's a legit strategy, do whatever works. But people aren't wrong for finding it frustrating to deal with. Just don't hate the player for doing what works, hate the game for allowing things that suck the fun out to work.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Platform fighters are way more open-ended; you don't have nearly as much flexibility on the Y-axis in Street Fighter. No double-jumps, and limited ability to "weave" in mid-air.

LightLV

Smash Ace
Platform fighters are way more open-ended; you don't have nearly as much flexibility on the Y-axis in Street Fighter. No double-jumps, and limited ability to "weave" in mid-air.
Even in games that allow double/triple jumps, air dashes, push blocks, air blocking and characters with teleports, by comparison Smash zoners are still extremely safe. I guess the real issue is that in Smash Bros, characters with projectiles aren't really built around them in the same way. Like, Megaman is almost entirely projectiles, but he isn't really built around them. His strongest most reliable kill move is, ironically, a high-active frame AoE move. There aren't really any characters that depend on you being a certain distance from them to stand a fair chance...they just sort of are able to keep you from getting in.

In 2D fighters with heavy zoners, it's usually more difficult to excel at using these characters, and people usually note them as "annoying", not just "spammers". (unless you're playing Marvel, which is just a silly game and doesn't count.) Smash zoners probably hold this title because, it's not very hard at all to read an approach on this game, and you aren't punished very hard at all for having your space breached.

Zoning is like, something you have to shut down, but not really a "playstyle" that you're locked into. So when someone picks Dedede and spams his projectiles, but can still murder you with his normals at 60%, it naturally feels a bit fraudulent.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom