• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why is Yoshi low tier?

Gindler

Smash Champion
Ha, another "footstooling is the lolz yoshi dies so easy" person. True it CAN happen, and you can also gimp a MK...

But yeah I hate the shield game, my shield game consists of shielding a big attack and rolling away before my egg takes any more of a beating. (or in nado's case, shield then punish =D)

Jiggy

Smash Apprentice
It is a bit harder to tell when Yoshi's shield is getting weak, also. Whereas other toon's shields get smaller, his gets darker.

Either that or it's a squishy (weak) shield....

Sharky

Smash Master
*looks into thread*

*looks at the 10 billion other threads on the same subject before this one*

Hmmmm, I feel as if I've seen this before...>___>

He's low tier because, despite his capabilities, he doesn't have the tourney results to back himself up. In short, we need more placing Yoshis.

[/thread]

Minwu

Smash Journeyman
Yoshi's recovery is easily gimpable, just not from footstools. The SA frames are only in the beginning of the jump. One MK Dair, or a hit from PKT, or just an edgehog, and you're done. The boost you get in the air from eggs isn't anywhere near enough to compensate for the lag afterwards, so you have to be right under the ledge for it to be of any use. He no longer has a directional airdodge to help him out, while everyone else in Brawl has an improved recovery. You simply cannot compare his recovery to that of MK's, ROB's, Pit's, Sonic's or even Snake's.

D

Deleted member

Yoshi's recovery is easily gimpable, just not from footstools. The SA frames are only in the beginning of the jump. One MK Dair, or a hit from PKT, or just an edgehog, and you're done. The boost you get in the air from eggs isn't anywhere near enough to compensate for the lag afterwards, so you have to be right under the ledge for it to be of any use. He no longer has a directional airdodge to help him out, while everyone else in Brawl has an improved recovery. You simply cannot compare his recovery to that of MK's, ROB's, Pit's, Sonic's or even Snake's.
Lol obviously doesnt know what hes talking about. His whole jump pretty much has invincibility frames from the air dodge(not the whole jump), and he can attack. I dont really get edgeguarded much except for MKs up b which is too good.

Lord Exor

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LordExor
3DS FC
0430-8460-0827
Why is Yoshi low tier? Well, perhaps it is due to the incontrovertible fact that the irksome dino is an atrocious excuse for a character. Just because you are capable of implementing a few gimmicky stratagems does nothing to ensure Yoshi's viability.

Yoshi just plain sucks.

capeman

Smash Rookie
haha
dude i dont think you ever played a good yoshi
hes a combo mofo

yoshi is good cuz

bair RAR
dragonic reverse
all of his tilts are good range
really fast jab
sheild dosent get small
pivot grab

yoshi is bad cuz of recovery

he shouldnt be lowtier.
he should be middle tier.
IMO

RyanPF

Smash Journeyman
Why is Yoshi low tier? Well, perhaps it is due to the incontrovertible fact that the irksome dino is an atrocious excuse for a character. Just because you are capable of implementing a few gimmicky stratagems does nothing to ensure Yoshi's viability.

Yoshi just plain sucks.
You gave no reasons why he is not a good character. The whole idea of the discussion is to discuss why Yoshi is in the low tier and whether or not he should, so it's obviously not an "incontrovertible fact."

There's a meaningful discussion going on here. Try not to ruin it.

Lord Exor

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LordExor
3DS FC
0430-8460-0827
Are you honestly asking me to reiterate conspicuous points that have already been made an innumerable amount of times? Yoshi has egregious matchups, a poor recovery, and... you know what? He just sucks. I know you want to defend your main, but let's be realistic here.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Are you honestly asking me to reiterate conspicuous points that have already been made an innumerable amount of times? Yoshi has egregious matchups, a poor recovery, and... you know what? He just sucks. I know you want to defend your main, but let's be realistic here.
He's not THAT bad, dude.

Mmac

Smash Lord
Discussing Yoshi's Matchups is probably going to be pointless discussing to you because you are probably going to dismiss it as biased crap. However his recovery is anything but poor. He has so much freedom with his Double Jump, he can even get by MetaKnight's Edgeguarding Game without getting hit with reletively ease.

You say WE are the biased ones, but really, all I'm hearing from you is "Wah wah wah Yoshi Sucks! Wah Wah"

Lord Exor

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LordExor
3DS FC
0430-8460-0827
All that and Yoshi still can't get many tourney wins. The shame of it all.

bigman40

Smash Master
Lol. How about this? If you want to say Yoshi sucks, at least come with your spell check working, and give actual points to why he sucks. If you don't, stay in your own **** boards, and worry about your own character.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: LOL @ the Meta Knight main getting under everyone's skin!

Come on, guys. I know I don't troll here hard or often enough, but I know you should be able to spot one, at least.

You have to admit, he's kinda funny. Using all those big words, LOL. Dassa good Meta, good boy~ ^___________^

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
because he has very few quality players placing in tourneys with him. maybe part of it is because he isn't that great a character. but it's the same problem with everyone else in low tier because most of them are just as good as a lot of the mid tier, there's just not much to show for it. theorycraft and matchup discussions only go so far.

Lord Exor

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LordExor
3DS FC
0430-8460-0827
I never said Yoshi is a joke. I said he sucks. Captain Falcon is a joke.

RyanPF

Smash Journeyman
I never said Yoshi is a joke. I said he sucks. Captain Falcon is a joke.
Sorry, my "" was a paraphrase/example. I didn't intend it to be a direct quote.
My point is, we're not discussing whether or not the Smash community considers Yoshi to be a bad character; we're discussing WHY. So if you don't have any reasons, no reason to post. (besides trolling)

:034:

Smash Hero
Because of his bad recovery.

I'm serious, this is by far the most viable reason a character can be considered bad. Look at Olimar. He has insanely good match-ups against a lot of the top tier and high tier characters, but where is he really? In Mid. Answer? His crappy recovery. It knocked him down from Top/High to a measly Mid.

You can fight against it as much as you want - but Yoshi's recovery is bad. Just compare it to the rest of the top tier... Meta Knight has multiple jumps and 2 glides, ROB. is ROB., D3 has multiple jumps and a killer, SA frames UpB, G&W has a virtually ungimpable recovery, Falco's is.... mediocre, when compared to the rest, but at least has more than two jumps.

I'm not saying that a good recovery makes a character mid tier instantly: some characters have better recoveries but are arguably worse characters, and therefore lower on the tier list.

Yoshi definitely has a lot going for him, though... Although, he gets outshined by better characters. He's good in plenty of fields, but not great in ALL fields, and that's what makes a top or high tier character.

Eight 52

Smash Journeyman

I'm serious, this is by far the most viable reason a character can be considered bad. Look at Olimar. He has insanely good match-ups against a lot of the top tier and high tier characters, but where is he really? In Mid. Answer? His crappy recovery. It knocked him down from Top/High to a measly Mid.

You can fight against it as much as you want - but Yoshi's recovery is bad. Just compare it to the rest of the top tier... Meta Knight has multiple jumps and 2 glides, ROB. is ROB., D3 has multiple jumps and a killer, SA frames UpB, G&W has a virtually ungimpable recovery, Falco's is.... mediocre, when compared to the rest, but at least has more than two jumps.

I'm not saying that a good recovery makes a character mid tier instantly: some characters have better recoveries but are arguably worse characters, and therefore lower on the tier list.

Yoshi definitely has a lot going for him, though... Although, he gets outshined by better characters. He's good in plenty of fields, but not great in ALL fields, and that's what makes a top or high tier character.
Good Yoshi's use Egg Throw more to recover than the jump.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Lol. How about this? If you want to say Yoshi sucks, at least come with your spell check working, and give actual points to why he sucks. If you don't, stay in your own **** boards, and worry about your own character.
Yoshi sucks. It's a sad fact of life.

Won't stop us from using him, though.

RyanPF

Smash Journeyman
Real good stuff. (Except for Kitamerby's... XD)

I can see what you're saying Dutchman, and I agree that Yoshi's is not as good as many others. Would you consider it a weak point or just not a strong point? I would consider it average. I've never been too far off to recover horizontally. The only times I've had trouble is when I've gotten below the stage and for some crazy reason didn't have the second jump available.

What's this about "Egg Throw more than jump"? Egg throw is almost useless in recovery.

Mmac

Smash Lord

The only thing that completely flaws this argument is that Yoshi's Recovery is far from terrible. His Recovery is Complexed. Complexed =/= Bad. He does have the properties of Multiple Jumps (Eggs), he can recover from any realistic position, and most importantly, It's practically ungimpable! All you need to do is learn how his recovery works, learn how to read your opponent's edgeguarding attempts, and learn correct spacing for your DJAD, and he should recover back to the stage almost everytime unharmed.

Plus if your reason is that he has alot going for him, but doesn't master anything, how does that warrant the fact he's in the position of one of the worst characters in the game?

Zephramrill

Smash Lord
The only thing that completely flaws this argument is that Yoshi's Recovery is far from terrible. His Recovery is Complexed. Complexed =/= Bad. He does have the properties of Multiple Jumps (Eggs), he can recover from any realistic position, and most importantly, It's practically ungimpable! All you need to do is learn how his recovery works, learn how to read your opponent's edgeguarding attempts, and learn correct spacing for your DJAD, and he should recover back to the stage almost everytime unharmed.

Plus if your reason is that he has alot going for him, but doesn't master anything, how does that warrant the fact he's in the position of one of the worst characters in the game?
He cant recover from the realistic position of getting footstooled or pseudo spiked.

That being said its a rarity.

I feel your guys pain about everyone making a huge deal out of something that isnt that bad. I play PT and all I ever hear is LOL IVYS DEAD ONCE SHES OFFSTAGE...

Airborne

Smash Lord
He cant recover from the realistic position of getting footstooled or pseudo spiked.

That being said its a rarity.

I feel your guys pain about everyone making a huge deal out of something that isnt that bad. I play PT and all I ever hear is LOL IVYS DEAD ONCE SHES OFFSTAGE...
that's only if we're caught offguard because:
1) we didn't use an aerial in the middle of our second jump
2) we used our second jump too early

o and PT is awesome; just make sure that they realize they're playing as MetaDike or Arnold Schwarrzenager.....

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Like I said, Yoshi is balanced. There aren't any great things about him, but there are no bad things about him, either. The main problem is his tourney results. If more people played as him, he would be mid-tier by now. He won't move above that, unfortunately.

Atash

Smash Apprentice
Hi!

Before I go into my post, a quick introduction - Hi, I'm Atash. I main/second Olimar/G&W and play just for fun matches using Luigi and Yoshi (my two mains from SSBM). Needless to say, I'm a very green person. I'm particularly green with envy of Lord Exor's wonderful mastery of longwinded vocabulary (just teasing :-P ).

Alright, now that that's out of the way, a more important side-message: I'm not here to argue. At best, I wish to see a debate regarding the finer points of Yoshi's status as a low tier character.

To Lord Exor: Nice avatar; but please explain what you mean when you say 'he sucks.' Examples beyond the simplistic gimpage that is footstooling would be very appreciated. Also, on a tangent, I'd respectfully prefer it if you used 'he licks' or 'he chokes' or something to do with a comical situation involving Yoshi's voracious appetite for foes (just throwing it out there).

To Kitamerby: Same for you - you've been designated the 'he chokes' guy. Not that my designations matter much, again.

Back to Lord Exor:
It's good to see at least someone listens to reason.
I'm sorry to say this, and please don't turn elitist in your response (if you respond), but I've yet to hear full fledged 'reason.' I've heard (well, read, but let's only get technical with our characters here) some impressive vocabulary, but no intelligent remarks. If one wants to make one's audience understand 'reason,' one must provide 'reason' that connects with the audience. Please 'connect,' otherwise the more enthusiastic frequenters of the Yoshi boards will probably only consider your statements as mindless banter.

To anyone who agrees with Lord Exor and is an enthusiastic frequenter of the Yoshi boards:
I apologize for grouping you in a basket with everyone else. However, please provide information.

To Lib93 (I realize you posted a long time ago, but I just wanted to pull up an example):
There must be loads of theories surrounding the Yoshi-MK match-up for there to be, on the MK match-up thread, in the MK section of the boards, a seemingly (keyword) up-to-date ratio of 4.5:5.5 MK's favor. Purely integer values on the specific range of 1-10 don't seem to be widespread from what I've seen (and I'm too lazy to read the other tens of character discussion boards to find out - a one-third sample size should be sufficient for this kind of activity).

<anecdote>

My response to the thread's original topic:
I haven't read up on any of the details, however, from what I understand, Yoshi is indeed a heavy character. From what little experience and anecdotal evidence I know, his main issue with the blast zones is the loss of a second jump. I'm not saying that he will consistently lose this second jump, I'm just saying he has an issue with it. Now, I'm going to use a theoretical example that I hope other people will replicate with different variations to explain my idea:

Here's Battlefield (bear with my horrible ASCII art, and the periods represent empty air by the way [stupid auto-removal of spaces]):

. . . . . . . . ______
. ______ . . . . . . . .______

As everyone in this discussion knows, Yoshi has a horrible time with MK here. His few advantages are ruined - the chain release is nulled by the platforms, the platforms perpetuate MK's airgame, etc.

Now, note that my Battlefield is not to scale, it's squished in the vertical direction. To give a sense of distance, here's Yoshi's height over battlefield after having made only a double jump from the ledge, with the generally abhorred granularity attributed to time-constrained ASCII art:

. . . . . . . . ______ . . . . . . . . . . Y

Another thing that we should all know - although Meta Knight's speed is pretty nice on the ground, in the air he's pretty slow relative to Yoshi.

. . . . . . . . ______ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Y

I've now placed yoshi pretty far out from battlefield. Using the physics defying mechanics of aerial maneuverability that I wish all humans in real life had, he can easily make it back to the edge by just holding to the left. I'd give the slope to be something like this (continue to note that I've scaled down the cartesian y-axis):

. . . . . . . . .______ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . <-----Y
. ______ . . . . . . . .______ . . . .<-----Y
______________________ <Y
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Y(hanging)

A fresh up-b pops him up over the edge very easily from his standpoint (in the air he's tossed up at least his own height by a fresh up-b). Now, continuing with the knowledge that this is only theorycraft and that any further deviations from hard repeatable-at-all-skill-levels observations are controversial, a forewarning: I. Am. A. Novice. I'm just trying to get some better examples so that, as a novice, I can understand the weakpoints of my more favorite characters. I don't simply want to know, as in being told over and over again, I want it to be shown to me. Then again, since when has the wants of a knowledge been answered by a more skilled and obviously better informed crowd?*

Anyway, anywhere within about one Yoshi's length of that trajectory a Meta-Knight can land an aerial hit on a non-dodging Yoshi. However, Yoshi can egg throw and pop right over a Meta-Knight coming from directly below anywhere along that trajectory. From diagonally down and to the left, an approach from Meta-Knight will give Yoshi trouble because it's directly in line with his trajectory. Egg throwing over him won't exactly solve the problem. Also, from his somewhat leftwards position, MK can reverse shuttle-loop our poor dinosaur without too much fear of missing because of Yoshi's high aerial movement. Yoshi could air-dodge and possibly get chased in the air by MK's sword's length for prematurely assuming such an attack, or could double jump. With regards to this scenario, please note that it's a very limited scenario. Also note that this is taking place about a third of the length of battlefield away from the edge - not a place a Meta-Knight normally gimps people as far as I've seen.

But I'm getting ahead of myself. If anyone wishes to utilize Yoshi's horrible recovery as an example of just how bad he is, could you please explain it in some sort of an intelligent manner? I've only used what I have said above as an EXAMPLE. It is in no way a proper scenario for recovery because it assumes one thing that, as far as I've heard, a good MK will never do unless there's a guaranteed kill from a wall of pain - chase horizontally away from the edge.

Actually, that being said, I'd like to see if my generalization of Yoshi's recovery is correct:

. . . . . . . . ______ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Y

Yoshi has no problems from this distance with recovering - it's a matter of dodging the incoming blows (which vary in difficulty and/or impossibility), and saving the double jump just in case the yoshi gets hit away. If the foe has slow fall-speed, a double jump and edge-canceled Brriing-Op! can generally work. If the foe has fast fall-speed and/or air-speed, proper timing of super-armor + {neutral aerial or air dodge} in transit have a chance at getting one through any attempts at wall of pains.

. . . . . . . . ______

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Y

From here, Yoshi must double jump + egg throw hop to make it over the edge, or just double jump to grab the edge. If someone is standing watch at the edge (and someone should else they aren't a very good gimper), the Yoshi could egg-throw once and waste an egg and lag time in the hopes of clearing the edge with some lucky blast-radius hit to double jump onto the edge, or he could just double jump and air dodge. If anyone grabs the ledge, they will be mentally lagged to keep their invincibility frames on the ledge if firm in their ways. If they grab the edge and release to attack the big-nosed dinosaur, Yoshi could neutral aerial (hopefully outprioritizing the other aerial) and then egg-throw to make it back to the edge, or air-dodge and egg-throw.

If, on the other hand, Yoshi is pinned down by someone who refuses to grab the ledge, or is hovering in the air over the edge, he probably has problems. That's the case when he can be gimped - but then again, pretty much anyone else (Falco being the high/top tier example I'd like to point to) could be gimped at that position.

Now then, going back to the loss of a second jump... Yoshi can always make it back to the stage with his second jump from the lateral blast zones at the height of the edge for pretty much every stage. Without his second jump, he might have troubles. The gray zone lies in the chances that he'll get walled down into oblivion or not.

Do I have the above section properly understood or am I missing a few finer points?

Also, I motion (in I'm assuming one of the most informal ways possible) that a second thread be created simply to understand why people disregard Yoshi's recovery action as a pointless endeavor. In conjunction with that, yes, Yoshi is underplayed, but that doesn't necessarily tell anyone why it's somehow 'common knowledge' that he's more gimpable than Yoshi players perceive him to actually be.

* To alleviate any translucency with regards to that section, I'm directly referring to Lord Exor's patronizing attitude.

And back to Lib93:
... wellllllllll... I have a friend who's an MK and he's... OOPS! ANECDOTAL EVIDENCE! Must be cited as such:
<anecdote>I have a friend who's an MK and he's random and he's... yeah. He's annoying.</anecdote>

Postscript: Lord Exor, does your username originate from Super Mario RPG? If so, I laud your name choice - giant swords with teleporters in their mouths are awesome.

Postpostscript: I'm all for an underplayed character being mid-tier in practice by small contingency of the generally unskilled Yoshi crowd who are of low-tier in practice. It makes for interesting tourney-by-tourney results.

Postpostpostscript: I am a novice. I haven't played tournies, only thought a lot about this.

Postpostpostpostscript: Yeah, I spent a lot of time on this post. Sue me.

Postpostpostpostpostscript: Please don't be elitist just because I'm a novice, I'm only asking for information through a rational interface.

Postpostpostpostpostpostpostscript: Oops, one too many 'posts' in that post[...]script line.

Postpostpostpostpostpostpostscript: READ THE ACTUAL BODY OF THE POST NOT THIS PART!!!

Postpostpostpostpostpostpostpostscript: XML 'anecdote' tags for the win :-P

</anecdote>

(yes I have nested anecdote tags, oh well >_< )

As a serious post-script: It'd be nice if one of the upper level players spoke up and shed some awe-inspiring light on the topic...

EDIT: I edited one of the ASCII images so it looked proper.

Lord Exor

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LordExor
3DS FC
0430-8460-0827
I have roused the application of intellect through my meager samplings of intermediate vocabulary. Excellent.

Well done Atash. Regrettably, Yoshi remains mediocre at best. Perhaps some day he will ascend to mid tier, but I don't foresee that occurring any time soon.

Top Bottom