• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why is Young Link a Peach Counter?

Mikey Lenetia

Smash Champion
NNID
MikeyLenetia
*shrugs*

At the best for Peach, this can be even. Y. Link has a definite easier time, though, of winning. Part of what can REALLY help Peach is learning how to grab those blasted bombs out of the air. It's something I've been working on, myself, since catching turnips is so much more common in tournaments. Nothing messes up a Y. Link's timing more than throwing him for a loop by neutralizing some of his projectiles. ^_^;

It's not something to rely on, though. Weaving in and out of his projectiles, while fun, is easier said than done. Yes, that's right. Just because you get through them doesn't mean you should attack. When you start seeing patterns and get used to Y. Link's spamming, it gets easier and easier to deal with. I, myself, don't face a lot of really good Y. Links often, but I welcome the challenge. Just makes me feel all the better if I do win, and I'd rather lose to a great Y. Link than a cheap-arse Marth any day.

Jash

Smash Lord
I really don't understand what makes it so hard to believe that Young Link counters Peach. If you ask me, its pretty self explanatory...try and get through his projectiles....better yet..try to get through MY projectiles. Its not easy..i don't use her but i can really tell. Also if you get hit by my bomb on 90% or more....consider yourself dead =). I think Dark.Pch knows what im talking about. But the point here is Young Links Projectiles and Combos are the reason hes a counter to Peach.

technomancer

Smash Champion
I think a major reason Y.Link is thought of as a peach counter isn't juts because its a weak game for peach but its a particularly strong game for Y.Link (2 different ideas). Y Link is always good at putting on the damage, but the hardest part for Y. Link is the killing part. Now im no Y. Link player but these are my personal observations. Killing is hard for Y. Link. But against peach Y. Link just has so many options that a dthrow after peach is above 90% is practically gg.
Ylink really shouldn't grab against Peach, her spotdodge is too good and the ensuing **** is pretty rough (40% or so and KO potential)

Jash

Smash Lord
Ylink really shouldn't grab against Peach, her spotdodge is too good and the ensuing **** is pretty rough (40% or so and KO potential)
What? Thats combos right there....and this ensures a victory if your playing a very defensive Peach which you will because.....your Young Link....understand? Besides.....if Peach has like 125% or more.....you can instantly kill her with an Dthrow->Uair. For example...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRcBVAUgu_M Look at the first kill i did.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
Its simple People. Y.Link ***** Peach. She stays in the air and wont move much when comboed, why you think Marth can combo here 0-death?, and spike here to finish off a combo, why you think shiek can combo her from 0 to like 60% or 70? Fox, falco....oh baby. And Captin Falcon (which is my worst matchup ever. well pretty much any character can combo her with out much trouble.

Look, the fact that Peach does not move much when hit in the air leads to trouble. and with young link........>_____<!!!! Once hit with Bomb or arrow...Kiss that pretty azz good bye. If Peach was not so floaty or stays in the air so long, I belive Peach would not have such a hard time. Cause im gonna be honest here, if it was not for the fact that Peach satys in the air for a while and and is light, I would not have so much trouble with Y.link.

Floaty+stun+ combo= Death.

CanISmash

Smash Lord
Elmont LI, Queens. Philadelphia during semesters.
i disagree. jash that vid you posted..... wth the peach kept rolling.. lmao are we regressing in smash or something? first thing i noticed. when the peach was at 0 percent, you missed all your projectiles and rushed forward, with a neutral air i think. got it shielded... and never payed for it. im not saying im a great peach but i saw alot of silly stuff coming from that match. your younglink is great though but imo....

boomerage = peach's booty
bomb = turnips
arrows = pay for lag

bombs are a real prob for combos though.

yl = peach at the most

Jash

Smash Lord
first thing i noticed. when the peach was at 0 percent, you missed all your projectiles and rushed forward, with a neutral air i think. got it shielded... and never payed for it.
This is a little something called Mind games, i guess you wouldn't know anything about my style of fighting Peach until you actually play me.

Wilhelmsan

Smash Lord
This is actually pretty simple. Projectile spam counters float game, landing a bomb = free uair. Punish Dsmash with Dair. Repeat.

He's just too fast for her and he's got the right moves.

The_NZA

Smash Lord
Regardless of the skill of the peach in the video, you can still tell when something just works and frankly from the video, you can see the immense killing options YL has against peach that he has against no one esle. Also watching from teh videos you can also see its easy as hell for yL to do massive damage on peach without paying for it. Also you can talk about how hypothetically butt counters boomerang and turnips counter bombs but at the end of the day a good yL will just keep hitting you and your not going to be able to think fast enough to counter all that.

SamDvds

Smash Ace
And if YOU do that, I'll switch to Doc 4 that match up >=)
If u do THAT...ill just be Zelda instead :laugh: 2 characters in 1 FTW:)

HOWEVER, on topic, thanks for all who are giving their input on this question. I personally dont have a big problem fighting Y. Link, but maybe its because i haven't fought a really experienced one (ive only fought 3 or 4). Im coming 2 the conclusion that it's not so much peach's floaty frame that causes her 2 lose, but the fact that Y.Link nerfs her main method of attacking, which is flying. It's like shooting down a bird. If you notice on the match up chart, Zelda as a slightly better match up with Y.Link, but her physics are the same as peach. Zelda can deflect the projectiles, and her attack method is..well..akward and diffrent from peach so its not as bad of a match up.

MuBa

Smash Lord
You might want to know that I can still destroy your Zelda regardless of you B-airing and F-airing the living crap outta me....Pill spam and capage for the win!!!!

And shooting down a bird? HELL NO! It's like shooting down the Hindenburg from World War 2!

CanISmash

Smash Lord
Elmont LI, Queens. Philadelphia during semesters.
This is a little something called Mind games, i guess you wouldn't know anything about my style of fighting Peach until you actually play me.
im not comparing me to you or anything of that nature. but that statement is stupid. mind games? what, do you possess telekenesis (sp) . after that attack is shielded all that is needed to be done is press an amazing button called the "A" button. this would perform what they call a shield grab. i know what the hell mind games is. that had nothing to do with mind games. a rolling peach that doesn't shield grab after blocking an attack... unless your God.... is not the effects of a mindgame.

Chip.

you know what to do
Young Link is a Peach counter

I don't see why an argument is necassary because Young Link ***** Peach.

boomerage = peach's booty
Peach's bair is actually > than Young Link's boomerangs. She can weapon-cancel it. That's when you pull out bombs.

bomb = turnips
Bombs>>>turnips. Bombs are quick to pull out, fast moving, and you can send a barrage of like 5 of them in less than a few seconds. Young Link can also pull bombs out in the air which gives him a huge advantage in the air game. Peache's tunips can only be pulled on the ground, they're slow moving, and the amount that you can pull out and throw is overall inferior and limited compared to the amount Young Link can throw. Example: Two bombs for every one turnip. You do the math.

:dizzy:

arrows = pay for lag
Any good Young Link player knows when and where to use they're arrows and to also use them sparingly. In this case Young Link will fire his arrows most likely when he's FAR away. And if the Peach is on the ground then he can also shoot them when he's on the PLATFORMS too due to the arching trajectory of the shot.

And he can use them to edgeguard along with his other projectiles.

yl = peach at the most
I think you should read my post on the other page. You'll understand why that is utterely wrong.

This is actually pretty simple. Projectile spam counters float game, landing a bomb = free uair. Punish Dsmash with Dair. Repeat.

He's just too fast for her and he's got the right moves.
You can also get a free Dair after a bomb hit (aka The Bomb Plant Combo) too. I'm not correcting you, I'm actually AGREEEING with you ^_^ I just thought I should add that along with what you said.

im not comparing me to you or anything of that nature. but that statement is stupid. mind games? what, do you possess telekenesis (sp) . after that attack is shielded all that is needed to be done is press an amazing button called the "A" button. this would perform what they call a shield grab. i know what the hell mind games is. that had nothing to do with mind games. a rolling peach that doesn't shield grab after blocking an attack... unless your God.... is not the effects of a mindgame.
Going off of this post I think I should answer the question about how effective grabbing is against Peach and from my experiences that I've had. I'll say YES it is pretty effective. But you must use it so you know that you won't get punished for the lag because of it. One of the BEST ways is too sheild Peache's D-smash (don't worry it'll hold through long enough) and then sheild grab even if her D-smash has pushed you away in your shield. This is another beauty to behold about Young Link, a LONG hookshot. After you grab her then **** fest begins with d-throw-> utilt-> utilt-> uair-> uair->uair->nair OR Dair you close enough to her. This combo COULD be fatal so beware.

gg

Sorry Jash, I didn't watch the video XD. Just in case I missed something.

Jash

Smash Lord
For some reason, every Peach that i fight learns something that they never knew before while fighting me. But let me save you the trouble and just tell ya this. Young Links Nair has barely any lag time after L cancel. If Peach tries to shield grab, Young Link can easily sidestep it to a D smash (this works because Peaches lag on the grab is kinda slow compared to the sidestep of Young Links). The more you know right? I figure out weakness every time i fight Peach. Also Chip......Bomb to Dair is the best thing in the history of SSBM. I cannot tell you how many times i kill ANYBODY with that, especially Peach.

Chip.

you know what to do
I know dude, it's such a sexy combo ^_^. It's like the most Broken finishing combo Young Link has, ever! I thought that such a Powerful and awesome attack it should have a PROPER name other than just nameing it after the directions to do the technique itself such as calling it "Bomb->Dair combo".....>_> if you know what I mean. That is why I decided to take the liberty and call it the mighty Super Bomb Sword Plant Combo (Bomp Plant for short :p)!. It's derived from [Bomb]-and-[Sword Plant] creating the name "Bomb Plant" ^_^. Simple, huh? (Oh yeah, Sword Plant is the REAL name for his Dair attack)

I don't know, I think that since a lot of top tier charachters have names for their awesome finishing combos (i.e. Ken Combo or Waveshine combo) so why shouldn't Young Link? IMO, I think he should.

Sooo, sorry to get off topic, but yeah, Bomb Plant ***** everyone HARD and I find that it's esp. effective against floaties like Peach and Marth, killing Marth at a 100% and Peach at 90%.

This should be in the Young Link discussions but yup, Bomb Plant ftw!

SamDvds

Smash Ace
You might want to know that I can still destroy your Zelda regardless of you B-airing and F-airing the living crap outta me....Pill spam and capage for the win!!!!

And shooting down a bird? HELL NO! It's like shooting down the Hindenburg from World War 2!
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: what? peach is just like a delicate bird floating in the wind...she's harmless rofl

MuBa

Smash Lord
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: what? peach is just like a delicate bird floating in the wind...she's harmless rofl
More like a deadly pink dragon that shoots turnips out of its mouth...
Yep....so harmless that she's the 5th best character in the game...

But anyways you haven't been online for a couple of days, is everything okay with you? And feeling better from your sickness? o_O;

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
If two good players, Young Link and Peach, are in a duel then the Peach will almost most likely lose. It really just depends on how smart of a Young Link your fighting and your knowledge of fighting the charachter. It also goes in favor of the levels too. Young Link takes advantage of small terrains with 3-point platforms and FD. I do admit that mute city and dream land can make the battle slightly more even, but not for the most part. You may also just not find that some charachters aren't counters at all (for me, Sheik isn't a counter for Young Link, bad matchup at most ;] ).

Ooh yeah, in response to MuBa ^_^ Bomb Plant is a simple bomb to dair combo that is one of Young Link's good finishing combos ^_^. In any case, a simple dair could kill Peach at like 80% or whatever, but Bomb Plant makes it an almost 100% sure-fire hit ^_^.

Peach is just really slow and it's extremely hard for her to fight against a fast charachter who has many, MANY projectiles that can screw her over quite a bit. Good Young Link players never worry when entering this fight. It's really hard for Peach to get within Young Link's spacing gaps and is also difficult to get combos on him as well. Young Link, on the other hand, can do so well with comboing into his projectiles and racking damage up so fast which makes him such a good charachter. These matches become quick since all this spaming is hard to evade, then somewhere in between he can launch a Bomb Plant on you..

..soooooooo yeah >_>
That basically sums it all up. Saying Peach is weak, lmao, you know how many good pros use Peach? She can be pretty brutal, lol! Ever faced me as Peach? I'm no pro, but watever, Peach stills owns, and doubting that is stupid, just challenge a successfuly pro who uses Peach, lol!:)

Jash

Smash Lord
Dude, i read everything Chip said and it all makes sense. Not once did i see him call Peach weak. Shes not weak, she owns mostly every character in this game.........except Young Link (ahh that feels good to say). I have taken out a pro Peach in the tourney by the name of Cort. After a noob like me beating a pro like Cort i finally realized that.....Young Link counters Peach. Now i have opened many eyes to the truth by beating the non believers in 1v1. I really don't mind doing it more times. Who wants to take the "Why is Young Link a Peach Counter" challenge? Hope you don't mind SamDvds.

kirbstir

Smash Lord
Young Link is not a Peach counter. None of the things mentioned tell me otherwise.

A patient Peach will avoid the projectiles and keep YLink under constant pressure.

bomb->bomb->point blank boomerang->uair->uair->nair->d-smash
This is not a true combo, and anybody who gets hit by the full thing needs to learn how to DI

The_NZA

Smash Lord
whatever kirbstir. The facts say that yLink is a peach counter and that reflects most of the opinions of the smash community. You can argue that thats not the case, same as others will argue that shiek is not a marth counter, but when it comes to statistics they show that marths have a harder time dealing with shieks than shieks do with marths, and ylinks have an easier time dealing with peaches (about in a 7-3 ratio) as peaches do with ylinks.

Jash

Smash Lord
A patient Peach will avoid the projectiles and keep YLink under constant pressure.
A patient Peach would get grabbed into a combo into another grab into more combos. Then you will find out being Patient does nothing to help u so you will try to be aggressive and get spammed into death. Now im not saying this all true...im just saying this is all that is most likely to happen.

kirbstir

Smash Lord
whatever kirbstir. The facts say that yLink is a peach counter and that reflects most of the opinions of the smash community. You can argue that thats not the case, same as others will argue that shiek is not a marth counter, but when it comes to statistics they show that marths have a harder time dealing with shieks than shieks do with marths, and ylinks have an easier time dealing with peaches (about in a 7-3 ratio) as peaches do with ylinks.
I'm glad you back up your "statistics" and "ratios" with evidence and studies.

A patient Peach would get grabbed into a combo into another grab into more combos. Then you will find out being Patient does nothing to help u so you will try to be aggressive and get spammed into death. Now im not saying this all true...im just saying this is all that is most likely to happen.
Please spam grab on me, I'm sure I wouldn't be able to punish the grab lag at all.

Chip.

you know what to do
Young Link is not a Peach counter.
Yes he is.

None of the things mentioned tell me otherwise.
Read like the other 4 pages and like the 30 different reasons I listed, and other people's. It's pretty hard not to miss or understand.

With what?! Peach has nothing good enough to get close to Young Link that will actually hit.

"But Pch has t3h 'mazing turn1ps!"

Lol, not when faired against Young Link's bombs and boomerangs they don't.

"Yeh, Pch iz just SO fa5t she can avoid those proFectiles an' run 1nto Young LInk's spam gaps wit0ut a swe@t!" >_>

What on earth does Peach have that can get her into the jaws of YL's projectiles so safely? Rolling? no, it's slow and will get you nowhere and Young Link will be at the other side of the stage when she does get to him. Floating? Think of Young Link as a GUN and Peach as a BIRD. What do Guns do to birds? BAM,...Exactly. And wavedashing..... forget it.

This is not a true combo, and anybody who gets hit by the full thing needs to learn how to DI
I exaggerated a little bit on the combo, but for the most part it can be dished out as a combo. DI won't really work on the projectile part of the sequence. If you get hit by a bomb or a point blank boomerang you get still get easily laid out with a Nair, Uair, Dair, or D-smash all of whom which are effective against Peach regardless of the DI, I've checked esp. on floaties like Peach. When I mentioned "bombs" and "boomerangs" that can go in any order and still basically work. It can go PB Boomerang-> bomb (single or x 2) then uair-> uair-> nair will work.

kirbstir

Smash Lord
Read like the other 4 pages and like the 30 different reasons I listed, and other people's. It's pretty hard not to miss or understand.
Please do not insult my reading comprehension. I have not done so to you.

I will reiterate that nothing mentioned points to YLink being a Peach counter. The absolute most I'll give this is that YLink is an annoying battle and on certain campy stages is even at most.

Chip.

you know what to do
Please do not insult my reading comprehension. I have not done so to you.
Sorry, I'm not. But I'm not sure if you fully understood what I said.

I will reiterate that nothing mentioned points to YLink being a Peach counter. The absolute most I'll give this is that YLink is an annoying battle and on certain campy stages is even at most.
page 1

No, Young Link is a solid counter to Peach. Pretty much good spacing of projectiles **** her bad and also Young Link has good combos against her.

A simple bomb-> point blank boomerang-> nair-> d-smash racks Peach up to 50%.

Also, one HUGE advantage Young Link has is the mighty Bomb Plant combo, in which peach players fear quite a bit. At 90% Young Link can kill her with the Bomb Plant or even sometimes lower. Young Link's recovery against her is fairly moderate as well. Basically, Peach can chase Young Link, but Young Link takes advantage of his speed and projectiles, plus he can edgegaurd her pretty well with his nair. Not to mention he can kill her at low percents.

If two good players, Young Link and Peach, are in a duel then the Peach will almost most likely lose. It really just depends on how smart of a Young Link your fighting and your knowledge of fighting the charachter. It also goes in favor of the levels too. Young Link takes advantage of small terrains with 3-point platforms and FD. I do admit that mute city and dream land can make the battle slightly more even, but not for the most part. You may also just not find that some charachters aren't counters at all (for me, Sheik isn't a counter for Young Link, bad matchup at most ;] ).

Ooh yeah, in response to MuBa ^_^ Bomb Plant is a simple bomb to dair combo that is one of Young Link's good finishing combos ^_^. In any case, a simple dair could kill Peach at like 80% or whatever, but Bomb Plant makes it an almost 100% sure-fire hit ^_^.

Peach is just really slow and it's extremely hard for her to fight against a fast charachter who has many, MANY projectiles that can screw her over quite a bit. Good Young Link players never worry when entering this fight. It's really hard for Peach to get within Young Link's spacing gaps and is also difficult to get combos on him as well. Young Link, on the other hand, can do so well with comboing into his projectiles and racking damage up so fast which makes him such a good charachter. These matches become quick since all this spaming is hard to evade, then somewhere in between he can launch a Bomb Plant on you..

..soooooooo yeah >_>
lol, you make it sound like it's easy to "get around his projectiles" when it's not, esp. since there's like 6 of them coming out at you and then starts to **** around with her with his physical combo attacks like d-smash, nair, and other arials. He also has a good d-throw->utilt->utilt->uair->uair combo on her.

page 2

Well, yes Young Link's nair takes quite a bit of priority over a lot of attacks in the game and it has more range than Peach's nair so yeah.
page 3

All right, I'm not saying that all Peach players find Young Link a Peach counter. It's just that Young Link's abilities naturally counter Peach's abilities. Heck, I don't think Falco is a counter for Young Link at all because I know how to fight him, but yet he still is. Peach really doesn't have anything that scares Young Link (xcept Stichface...*shivers*). Young Link can spam Peach till doomsday. Period.

Peach fails in almost nearly everyway in attempting to fight against Young Link's projectiles. Also, a simple Young Link combo can be fatal to Peach if executed flawlessly (bomb->bomb->point blank boomerang->uair->uair->nair->d-smash) and if it isn't it's still a 30-50% damage combo, at least. And just as a warning, if Peach is at 90% damage or more (sometimes less) she's in the killing zone of Young Link. Wheather it be a dair, uair, a well placed d-smash, or whatever will kill her. And since he's spamming you the whole time what better way to easily finish you off with a setup dair than to use a Bomb Plant?

Young Link can edgegaurd her extremely well too. When she's floating, when far away, Young Link can easily disrupt her recovery with bombs, boomerang, and arrows and these can eventually make her fall down too low to recover, stun her into a well placed nair if she's close or, oh, if the Young Link really feels like toying around he'll just jump out there and do a dair instead :psycho: :laugh: :psycho:! Oh, and don't even think about trying to double jump/upB high so you can go over his head and hope to land safely somewhere on a stage platform. You can expect a barrage of bombs being thrown up at you and some uairs to endlesslly juggle you into the deathly sky as well.

The only thing that I've seen that has gotten Young Link far off the stage is Peach's d-smash (sometimes nair, rarely). Now although Young Link is backwards he can throw his boomerang behind him which negates the "flip" effect and now allowing for a smarter, safer hookshot recovery. Since he also throws his boomerang behind him this boomerang has a good chance of weapon-canceling with a Peach turnip that might be thrown and used as an edgegaurd. So that in return boosts Young Link's recovery by a lot. I'll admit that edgehogging is effective to an extent, but only really at stages with long walls like Dream Land.

Young Link can run away and spam you to death or he can hunt you down, combo you like crazy, and finish you very quickly and will eat you alive. Young Link overall is a solid Peach counter and is one of the best Peach counters if not the best (and Marth maybe) XD.

But it's not like it's an impossible win for Peach, because I too have been owned by Peach a few times only because they have learned how to fight back against a Young Link. I've learned how to fight all Young Link counters and do the very same thing (except Falcon, I need to work on him a little more now XD), but does that mean Young Link actually counters or has a slight adantage against Sheik, Falco, Fox, etc.? Not in the slightest. I haven't even fought an extremely good Fox so that's a small reason why I can pwn him so badly so maybe some of you Peach players have never fought a sufficient Young Link player, perhaps.

So that's great if some of you do good against Young Link but don't go off saying "Peach has a slight advantage" because I find that as crap. Explain "why" Peach, in the slightest, concievable thought, of why she might have this "advantage". Please, do humor me.

page 4

Young Link is a Peach counter

I don't see why an argument is necassary because Young Link ***** Peach.

Peach's bair is actually > than Young Link's boomerangs. She can weapon-cancel it. That's when you pull out bombs.

Bombs>>>turnips. Bombs are quick to pull out, fast moving, and you can send a barrage of like 5 of them in less than a few seconds. Young Link can also pull bombs out in the air which gives him a huge advantage in the air game. Peache's tunips can only be pulled on the ground, they're slow moving, and the amount that you can pull out and throw is overall inferior and limited compared to the amount Young Link can throw. Example: Two bombs for every one turnip. You do the math.

:dizzy:

Any good Young Link player knows when and where to use they're arrows and to also use them sparingly. In this case Young Link will fire his arrows most likely when he's FAR away. And if the Peach is on the ground then he can also shoot them when he's on the PLATFORMS too due to the arching trajectory of the shot.

And he can use them to edgeguard along with his other projectiles.

I think you should read my post on the other page. You'll understand why that is utterely wrong.

You can also get a free Dair after a bomb hit (aka The Bomb Plant Combo) too. I'm not correcting you, I'm actually AGREEEING with you ^_^ I just thought I should add that along with what you said.

Going off of this post I think I should answer the question about how effective grabbing is against Peach and from my experiences that I've had. I'll say YES it is pretty effective. But you must use it so you know that you won't get punished for the lag because of it. One of the BEST ways is too sheild Peache's D-smash (don't worry it'll hold through long enough) and then sheild grab even if her D-smash has pushed you away in your shield. This is another beauty to behold about Young Link, a LONG hookshot. After you grab her then **** fest begins with d-throw-> utilt-> utilt-> uair-> uair->uair->nair OR Dair you close enough to her. This combo COULD be fatal so beware.
your welcome. gg'z.

You've yet to still answer my previous questions in my before post XD.

That basically sums it all up.
Your post is prevaricated. If you say that sums it all up then why do you say:

Saying Peach is weak, lmao, you know how many good pros use Peach? She can be pretty brutal, lol! Ever faced me as Peach? I'm no pro, but watever, Peach stills owns, and doubting that is stupid, just challenge a successfuly pro who uses Peach, lol!:)
I never said Peach is weak. And everyone should be aware of the Peach powerhouses out there including Wife, Sastopher, Vidjo, Krazy Jones, Cort, and even Kirbster. She is easily one of the best charachters in the game. All right, I'll face your Peach, but let's MM for 70$ how about? If you live near Washington, then I'm being serious.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
Just look at it this way, Y.link is like Falco in this matchup. He is very fast and can spam projectiles faster than Peach can, at varying heights (can do any projectile at any height) that stun her. Except for one thing, all of his kills are VERTICAL. A smart Y.link will easily outspam and outpace a good Peach. And once your at a high enough % a well placed D-smash, upair or dair will kill Peach. Add to the fact that bombs do not have large knockback makes an upair or dair following it makes it practically gauranteed when it hits, like a waveshine to upsmash. Y.link in this matchup has all the right moves to counter what Peach does, and can outcamp Peach.

The easiest way to explain it is that while the Peach can win, Y.link has easier setups and KOs than Peach does in the matchup.

Samochan

Smash Master
I fully agree with Kirbstir on this, even though no one listens to me anyway and then call me a liar. >_> But I will say my opinnion again...

Y.link and Link are both even with Peach, though annoying to fight, still do not hold any significant advantages over her.

Y.link spamming can be easily countered by just staying far away that he can't hit peach, but since peach's turnips fly further than y.link's projectiles, she can still hit with them if she wants. If up close, just shielding the stupid projectiles makes y.link open and if he wants to close up, he needs to deal with both turnips, which can be thrown straight from shield, cancel out his bombs and bumerangs and are still reuseable and peach who can **** y.link's shield badly (no, his shield doesn't last a float cancelled fair to dsmash, not forgetting the slaps and turnips, sorry :p). Simple bumerang throw leaves y.link vulnerable if it doesn't hit peach. Sure one can try to anticipate her floathing, but if the guess is wrong, y.link is pwned. She can also easily destroy bumerang and **** y.link is she's on range :/ I do not see any reason how y.link could outcamp peach on medium sized stages, perhaps on smaller stages, but those stages hurt y.link more than they hurt peach anyway, since he dies way easier on YS than on Dreamland. A patient peach will not let any bombs hit her, nor let anyones y.link grab her with that lousy hookshot of his, especially on the killing percentage.

I frequently play against a guy who can use about every character efficently and his y.link is very mean, but I still don't lose to it, unlike how I usually lose to his Falcon, Marth and Falco these days. Also playing against the best Y.link on Finland on the biggest spam stage and one of his fav stages ever and still winning doesn't hurt my opinnion either. Also, I did not see Caveman's Y.link beating KrazyJones' Peach senseless and I do think both are considered very good players of their respective characters. Also, winning a match does not equal a character being a counter. Any higher tier character is way more tougher to fight than either of the links, really. And still each and every one of them only have slight advantages over peach, marth included. And no, I'm not going into how Marth is supposed to counter peach, cause that isn't even true, Marth just has advantage due to his range but is not a counter. Sheik is a counter to link, cause sheik can **** link so badly he'll cry every night of sheik's existence. So unless y.link of lesser skill level somehow can 4 stock every peach in the world via his ultimate technique of homing, non-blockable bombs of destruction that lead into 0% killing combo that cannot be DI'ed or evaded in any way, I do not think y.link can be considered as a counter to peach. Even with a slight advantage or even advantage is debatable and do not mean the character in question counters peach.

I also suggest at not looking Phanna's chart for reference, cause that is also purely based on opinnion and opinnion alone, not facts.

Jash

Smash Lord
Jash- wow.. amazing stuff. i will never willingly go peach against young link again.
I opened his eyes into the truth, Young Link is a Peach counter and he did not know until i played him. All im going to say is fight a good Young Link player and figure out how hard Young Link really is.

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
Chip, have you ever even played a good Peach? Not like good for your area, but like semi-pro or pro Peaches? I really doubt it. And if you did, how did that go over?

Bombs don't **** Peach as much as you think they do. She can toad/powersheild/catch/turnip/spaced fsmash/dodge them, and even if she gets hit she can either make y. link get hit by it as well, or she can just DI away. Even if he forces her into her sheild, she can just neutral out of sheild at an incredibly fast speed if he is near enough, or even fair at appropriate spaces.

Oh, and before you begin to question my tournament record, I'll tell you there's a reason Caveman will only play Sheik against the top two Peaches in the state of Texas.

BigRick

Smash Master
Montreal, Canada AKA Real City brrrrrrrrapp!
I'll side with DoH on this one, Y.Link doesn't counter Peach.

- Link's projectiles are better than Y.Link's in this matchup cause they go further... you wanna camp me? Fine, I'll just outcamp you. Good luck on a small stage.
- It's true that the little brat got vert KOs... but Fox's/Link's are better.
- Sheik is alot better than Y.Link at usin' a hit and run style, especially when there's platforms involved
- C.Falcon/Marth have real combos on Peach...

If Y.Link is a Peach counter... then at least Fox/Sheik/Marth should be considered as counters right b4 that

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
People take one set from almost 2 years ago and make it out to be a counter. I was at GS2, and that was just as Cave invented Y. Link so no one knew how to fight one. Two years have passed and people have learned how to deal. Y. Link is a little *****, but he's far from a counter; even if best, if not in Peach's advantage. Small stages means he can't run away and Peach gets real kill moves, and big stages means more room for edgegaurding and Peach doesn't die.

kirbstir

Smash Lord
I'll give you a rundown, Chip

1) Bombs are slower than turnips, I have no idea where you got that bombs come out faster than turnips initially, or fly faster than turnips. You can pull them out in the air, but don't underestimate proper turnip usage.

2) Boomerangs are not guaranteed hits as you seem to make them out to be. I'd love you to spam boommerangs at me, the lag from throwing them is much greater than that of bomb-throwing. Hell, I enjoy swatting boomerangs away.

3) Peach does not always have to be defensive in this matchup. Being patient is not the same as being defensive. Being patient means not being stupid, a pre-requisite for not running into projectile spam.

4) Your combos are easily DI'd beyond the first hit and don't kill until around 140% on FD unless the Peach player blows at survival DI or just sets herself up for a dair by being dumb.

5) Peach is quite adept at screwing up recoveries, and YLink's, while a bit harder than most, is not that great to avoid getting pressured on the ledge.

6) Peach only gets punished for not knowing the matchup.

7) What Peaches have you even played? I've had YLink and Link matchups with the likes of SS4Ricky, Azen, and Chu Dat. It sounds to me like you're just going on Chu Dat vs Sastopher, which is a couple years old.

MuBa

Smash Lord
Personally I think Peach can hold on her own against Young Link. But as far as I'm concerned with the whole counter thing, there's not many people out there who plays a very competent Young Link, so we can't really find too many evidence showing that he ***** Peach hardcore.

But anyways who wants to play as Peach? Peach sucks!

(>'')> Kirby FTW!!!!!

Top Bottom