• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why isnt Lightning Melee so popular?

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Lighting Mode is dum. All it causes you to do is smash attacks and tilts. You can't combo in lightning, can't recover right, can't time anything right. Its pointless and stupid and the only use for it in my opinion is to unlock mewtwo faster.

Paingel

Smash Apprentice
I see many posts saying that playing on Slo-mo and Lightning Melee can "throw off your timing" but I actually found the opposite to be true.

Attempting to learn WDing on normal speed only: Freaking hard and only did it 67% of the time.

Attempting to learn WDing on slow AND normal speed, changing between the two often: A lot faster, easier to learn, and now I can perform Super Wave Dashes on my main about 90-100% of the time, and I don't ever have to worry about "warming up" any more either.

The trick is to not worry about the specific number of miliseconds passed, but the actual timing and movement of the characters according to the stage.

If you want these modes to be useful for you, remember to switch them up a bit. Don't just play 100 straight matches of Slo-Mo and then decieve yourself into thinking that you'll "automatically" do better at Normal speeds. You won't. If you do it this way then you will mess up your timing as was said before.

Instead, play a "set" of 1 Normal + 1 <insert special match here> and repeat that set like 50 times. Then you'll be a lot stronger in smash.

At least that seemed to help me out a lot, but if you really want to see if what I'm saying is right then try it out for yourself.

ikes hero

Smash Rookie
Lighting Mode is dum. All it causes you to do is smash attacks and tilts. You can't combo in lightning, can't recover right, can't time anything right. Its pointless and stupid and the only use for it in my opinion is to unlock mewtwo faster.
So you don't play just-for-fun games with anyone. Lightning mode is awesome if you play it for fun. Yes you can do combos in it. You can do just about anything in it if you've played it enough. Then a normal match is so much slower that you have to take your time to do combos. I personally prefer sudden death or tiny melee. Tiny is so fun, especially if you listen to the voices.

Binx

Smash Master
I played lightning melee for like 6 or 7 matches and went back to normal melee and I was MUCH more accurate than I was that morning.

Luigi Ka-master

Smash Lord
So you don't play just-for-fun games with anyone. Lightning mode is awesome if you play it for fun. Yes you can do combos in it. You can do just about anything in it if you've played it enough. Then a normal match is so much slower that you have to take your time to do combos. I personally prefer sudden death or tiny melee. Tiny is so fun, especially if you listen to the voices.

Lol, pretty sure the only people who say regular Melee is too slow are the ones who don't know anything about any advance techs in the game. Tell me you l-cancel, do it.

Paingel said:
I see many posts saying that playing on Slo-mo and Lightning Melee can "throw off your timing" but I actually found the opposite to be true.

Attempting to learn WDing on normal speed only: Freaking hard and only did it 67% of the time.

Attempting to learn WDing on slow AND normal speed, changing between the two often: A lot faster, easier to learn, and now I can perform Super Wave Dashes on my main about 90-100% of the time, and I don't ever have to worry about "warming up" any more either.

The trick is to not worry about the specific number of miliseconds passed, but the actual timing and movement of the characters according to the stage.

If you want these modes to be useful for you, remember to switch them up a bit. Don't just play 100 straight matches of Slo-Mo and then decieve yourself into thinking that you'll "automatically" do better at Normal speeds. You won't. If you do it this way then you will mess up your timing as was said before.

Instead, play a "set" of 1 Normal + 1 <insert special match here> and repeat that set like 50 times. Then you'll be a lot stronger in smash.

At least that seemed to help me out a lot, but if you really want to see if what I'm saying is right then try it out for yourself.
Or you could just play on Normal Melee the entire time and get like the same results if not better.

KrnMint_00v

Smash Cadet

Okay... You still have to learn the difference between timing in slowmo to normal with WDing and moonwalking. Yeah some techniques may be easier in slow mode, but you don't get a real feel of it, therefore it makes it much harder in normal. I'd explain more, but I feel there's going to be more posts saying, "lightning and slow mode make you better." So it would be a waste.

Paingel

Smash Apprentice
Okay... You still have to learn the difference between timing in slowmo to normal with WDing and moonwalking. Yeah some techniques may be easier in slow mode, but you don't get a real feel of it, therefore it makes it much harder in normal. I'd explain more, but I feel there's going to be more posts saying, "lightning and slow mode make you better." So it would be a waste.
But that's just my point! It's exactly the opposite of what you're saying. If these other modes are messing you up, then you're doing it wrong. I've tried it my way (variety of speeds) and I've tried it your way (normal speed only) and my way works quickly and effectively (EVEN when I go back to doing normal speed only! ZOMG IMPOSSIBLE!) while your way was pathetically and frustratingly slow.

I'm not saying do Slo-Mo 50 times in a row. That will mess up your timing. Most people who condemn Slo-Mo and Lightning have only played them once or twice in a row and blew them off because they did this and their minds remembered the wrong timing. If you do that, you're doing it wrong. Doing ONLY Slo-Mo will teach you the same thing as doing ONLY Normal except that the timing that you're memorizing is wrong and therefore completely useless.

That's not what I'm suggesting at all.

I'm saying do Slo-Mo > Normal > Lightning > Normal > Slo-Mo > .... etc. Mix it up. Do some days with more Slo-Mo, other days with more Lightning, and also do other days with Normal Only.

Doing this will loosen your mind instead of tightening it, and that will lead to a much clearer understanding of the game.

Two different players can play on Battlefield with the exact same character with no items or any kind of luck involved. One will wipe the floor with the other, and the other will weep in the bitterness of their defeat. What's the difference between these two players? Their thought process.

Those who do Normal only will have thought processes like this: "I have to airdodge down X milliseconds after I jump." Which, while this is accurate, it still screws you over. You don't always think at the same constant speed: Some days you're quick and other days you're slow. If you learn your timing for a "fast" day, then any time a "slow" day comes along you'll be screwed. Same thing if you learn for a "slow" day but then hit a "fast" day.

This also forces you to REQUIRE a warm-up every time you play the game when you haven't played in a while. It makes it so that you can't do your timing until you've had a chance to "recalibrate" your thought processes for that particular day.

But if you learn your timing in the way I suggested, you'll think: "At this speed, 1 frame is 1/60th of a second. I need to airdodge down 3 frames after I jump, so that will be 1/20th of a second." Your perception of time for that moment won't matter, because you're thinking of frames instead of seconds. And you don't have to adjust or relearn any of these thoughts, you just need to worry about what the "this speed" variable is and that's all.

If you have a "slow day" or a "fast day" it won't screw you over at all, because your mind has adjusted for changes in the percieved passage of time. And there won't be any need to "recalibrate" every little thought so there won't be any need to warm up.

It's like you're coding a program, but each time you run it you have to change the values around. You can either store all of these values as literals and hand-change them all the time (takes forever), or you can store them as equations that are all related to one variable and a few constants (takes less than a second).

The "Normal Speed Only" method encourages the first style because it's faster to write code that way. The "Variety of Speeds" method forces the second style because the first style will simply never work under those conditions. (A tip: No real coder ever writes code the first way. It's crappy. So why should you program your brain to work in such a crappy way?)

My way leads to faster learning and better results. I'm not kidding at all. Your way will slowly and painfully get you to master your timing, if you have the patience for it. Meanwhile, my way will allow you to master this same timing quickly and painlessly.

But I guess you know everything about this game already and have no need to try my suggested methods, and would rather just blow me off as a rambling fool right?

Right.

I hope you had fun spending thousands and thousands of hours barely learning the techniques that I've mastered in less than a hundred hours. Good day~!

Xanskarr

Smash Lord
I hope you had fun spending thousands and thousands of hours barely learning the techniques that I've mastered in less than a hundred hours. Good day~!
tl;dr

but i did read this. I highly DOUBT that you've mastered the techniques so you say. post a video, if you're so good. i've gotten where i have with just playing for fun. sure, i've had a few tournaments, but my core time has just been smashfests with free for alls, teams, singles, bowser challenge, you name it. thanks for generalizing by the way.

CHAOSDRAGON88

Smash Ace
If theres anyone in support of lightning mode(I am in support) that has had dramatic improvement, please ignore this thread because your going to get flamed, because of some people's ignorance.They don't even have a point it's just disbelief. They still think the world is flat.

Black Tyranno

Smash Journeyman
If theres anyone in support of lightning mode(I am in support) that has had dramatic improvement, please ignore this thread because your going to get flamed, because of some people's ignorance.They don't even have a point it's just disbelief. They still think the world is flat.
If you read the title of the thread, then read the responses you'd understand that he asked people why isn't lighting Melee popular and people told him why they do not like it. So what exactly is the problem? I feel like your post was unnecessary.

SirroMinus1

SiNiStEr MiNiStEr
NNID
Ajarudaru
I was just wondering why Lightning mode isnt so popular? Thats all me and my friends play and when we go back to regular melee, its to slow. Anyone else play lightning exclusive round here? Why hasnt it really taken off? it seems way more intense than regular.

Aaron
is noobs getting stronger at annoying us or what. i hope this a some joke thread made by a old member of smashboards

CHAOSDRAGON88

Smash Ace
If you read the title of the thread, then read the responses you'd understand that he asked people why isn't lighting Melee popular and people told him why they do not like it. So what exactly is the problem? I feel like your post was unnecessary.
I said that anyone who agre
es with the positive effects will get flamed for no apparent reason, Regardless of their rights to state their opinion .My post made perfect sense.

TheKneeOfJustice

Smash Lord
I play in Lightning mode... when I l-cancel and use other advanced techs. Seriously, if you think regular mode is too slow, learn to play fox or falcon, and get the advanced techs down.

Paingel

Smash Apprentice
thanks for generalizing by the way.
Right back atcha buddy!

Prove it? Go and try what I said. That will be proof enough.

If it's not important enough for you to spend a small amount of time on such a simple task, then it's not important enough for me to spend a small amount of time on the same task PLUS a large amount of time screwing around with video editing software that I would have to find, purchase, and learn when I'd rather be doing other things.

I said it. You can believe it or you can not.

"Correct a fool and he will hate you." Proverbs 9:7

To AustinP: Thank you! I really doubt that I'm the only one who would gain an advantage from this.

Best101

Smash Ace
Once you get to a certain level of competitive play in smash, Lightning Mode can greatly hurt your play. It can throw off timings for combos, L-Cancels, and most other advance techniques. If you don't naturally play with advance techniques then your point of view may be completely different from other competitive players.

HomerPepsi

Smash Rookie
I play in Lightning mode... when I l-cancel and use other advanced techs. Seriously, if you think regular mode is too slow, learn to play fox or falcon, and get the advanced techs down.
Ive only played as cap falcon since ssb64 and regular mode is way less intense than lightning.

$ick

Smash Lord
no, no it doesn't unless you're a big gay **** :)

Lightning > Normal.
Lmao, wow. I remember when I was a total newb I wondered if playing in lightning would make one faster with tech skill. I'm so glad my ignorance was only very temporary.

Digits

Smash Rookie
Lmao, wow. I remember when I was a total newb I wondered if playing in lightning would make one faster with tech skill. I'm so glad my ignorance was only very temporary.
I never said it makes anyone faster or better with tech skills. It is a faster paced game and it is much funner IMO. But people that say you can't tech in lightning must be slightly ********. It's harder but it is far from impossible. The only thing that I have had a lot of troubles trying to do on lightning that isn't that hard on normal is shield to shine with falco/fox. L-cancelling gets tricky too, but with practice is achievable. But wavedashing isn't that much different.

But what do you know noobsauce you have a friggen $ sign in you're name. That has queer written all over it. :)

ConnorTheKid

Treat Yo' Self
Premium
in response to the topic question: cuz you touch yourself at night (sorry, couldn't resist!! :chuckle:)

Junpappy

Smash Lord
I totally agree with the tc.

I also use super sudden death to practice di/sdi.

I use giant mode to practice not getting hit.

Tournament melee helps me get tournament experience so I can become pro.

Invisible melee helps me with mindgames.

Then after I practice all that, I go to camera mode and take snapshots of Captain Falcon's man nipples.

Foxman15

Smash Journeyman
I'd like it a a lot better if the C-stick was available. With it not just messes up my normal play style.

Eagle

Smash Lord
I was just wondering why Lightning mode isnt so popular? Thats all me and my friends play and when we go back to regular melee, its to slow. Anyone else play lightning exclusive round here? Why hasnt it really taken off? it seems way more intense than regular.

Aaron
Yes, me and my brothers play Lighting Mode over Normal mode. The feel of normal mode... it just seems sooooo slow. My and my 4 brothers are all used to lightning mode and pretty much have never played in normal mode together among the thousands of matches we've had.

We play 4 lives, no items and whatnot. When it comes to advance techniques, I can tech, wavedash, and stuff. Although, any advanced technique apart from teching I don't do.

Anyways, I play lightning mode over regular.

MVPaintballer

the lil d that could
Its worked wonders for my reflexes and there was no drawback between switching speeds. i have been doing this since i got melee. and i almost never get hit by grabs and such, it gives you god like reflexes, but everything is not for everyone. thanks for the feedback, but i dont dodge to early and slow mo is the only one that would screw u up before a match,best used for accuracy training.

Why don't you prove yourself against some decent players for some real proof?

xRisingForce

Smash Cadet
A simple answer:
Practicing in Lightning Melee makes you better at one and only one thing: Lightning Melee.

Top Bottom