• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why NONE of the Characters Excluded from Melee Should have been Cut

kr3wman

Smash Master
Jesus, shut up with these threads.

Mewtwo didn't come back because Nintendo wants to hype the later Pokemon generations.

Dr. Mario didn't comeback because he's just useless.

Pichu didn't comeback because they wanted to make Plusle and Minun or some **** like that.

Roy didn't comeback because his game sucked balls.

And Young Link didn't comeback because they want to hype new Zelda games.

Now, If I see one more thread about any of those and why they should have been in Brawl, I'm going ballistic, mark my words.

(And don't think that I didn't want any of them to return or I'm just a hater. I may feel the pain for some of them, but I can get ****ing over unlike some people here.)

Jibbles

Smash Apprentice
I don’t understand why this guy didn’t make it to Brawl. He’s pretty much one of the main villains of Pokemon!
Since when was Mewtwo ever a villain? The first movie?

awlccl123

Smash Apprentice
Hold on, this thread is called "Why NONE of the Characters Excluded from Melee Should have been Cut"? O_o.

But on topic, Pichu and Dr. Mario had to go, Mewtwo and Roy were old news in their series the came from by the time of brawl, and the model for Young Link hasn't been used since Majora's Mask, making it more logical to put his newer model.

SirKibble

Smash Champion
Hold on, this thread is called "Why NONE of the Characters Excluded from Melee Should have been Cut"? O_o.
Yeah, the wording on that wasn't great, but it's more "Characters excluded [from Brawl, who are] from Melee," I guess.

SuperMetroid44

Smash Lord
Dr. Mario:He is Mario! He dosen't need to return.

Pichu:He's weak, Not popular, and Knows few moves.

Mewtwo:Theres enough Kanto pokemon.

Roy:He was in a non popular fire emblem game.

Young link:Two Words. "Toon Link"

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I agree on the point that Sakurai is an idiot.
This.

I don't want Pichu, Dr. Mario or Young Link to return (unless they would remove Toon Link and replace him with Young Link). Roy I wouldn't mind seeing return, but there's not much reason for him to do so. Mewtwo I want to return. I don't care what people say about the number of first gen Pokemon, as a Pokemaniac I say that the first and second generation Pokemon were the best. Third had a few good ones and fourth was full of crap. I like Lucario in the context of Brawl (meaning he's a fun character to play with). Outside of Brawl, he's an overrated Pokemon that's something like a dog/cat ninja.

SirKibble

Smash Champion
Pichu:He's weak, Not popular, and Knows few moves.
Actually, he's stronger than Pikachu (in Smash, not in the Pokemon games), and being a clone, he also knows the same number of moves as Pikachu...

I'm not arguing that he should be in, just that those weren't especially good points against him.

Oracle

Smash Master
One of the reasons that most of the clones were cut was that sakurai used the tier list as a popularity list, which does not work.

mantlecore77

Smash Journeyman
Mewtwo I want to return. I don't care what people say about the number of first gen Pokemon, as a Pokemaniac I say that the first and second generation Pokemon were the best. Third had a few good ones and fourth was full of crap. I like Lucario in the context of Brawl (meaning he's a fun character to play with). Outside of Brawl, he's an overrated Pokemon that's something like a dog/cat ninja.
I completely agree. Ever since I was younger and I played Pokemon a TON, I always thought that the Pokemon became duller and duller and duller until now its just... Nintendo is transforming useless bugs, pets, and household objects into Pokemon.
All of the 1st generation was probably the best and most creative... but nonetheless, Lucario does represent the newer generation pretty well. But REPLACING Mewtwo probably wasn't the best thing to do... of course, it would probably be a little much to have Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Charizard, Ivysaur, Squirtle, AND Mewtwo represent the first generation then only have Lucario be from the new spot.

I like Mewtwo, too, and wish he would've returned but I'm only saying that I've accepted the reasoning in dropping him (sorta) and putting Lucario in.

Imperial Dark

Smash Cadet
Let me just say, you are awesome.
Was that to me? Thanks if it was...

Reason why characters were removed from Brawl...
Mewtwo=Time-constraints
Doctor Mario=Time constraints
Pichu=This rat was apparently unplanned at all for the game but Plusle and Minun were seemingly planned to take this characters place, but were removed because of our friend, time constraints.
Roy=Time constraints

Although, we really should get to know what went on in those delays of Brawls? File clearance? The destruction of Mewtwo(other than a trophy and some picture or something)? The Doc ODed and had to be silently dragged off the disk? Ike had to get his voice changed? Roy died? We may never know, but what we do know is that Young Link was killed and eaten by Toon Link.
Hmm... So, it looks like you're implying that everyone (except Young Link) was originaly set to be in? Maybe we will get them in Smash 4 then, if what you say is true.

I mean, Snake could have been in Melee, but there were "time constraints"...

you cant call saukari an idiot cause without him, we really wouldnt have smash brawl
I know, I was just joking about the Falcon Punch thing.

Saukari, please accept my apology. *apologizes*

There we go, that's resolved.

No really, Saukari is a genious.

Also, judging by the comments made here it looks like Mewtwo is wanted to make a return by popular vote, followed by Roy, Dr. Mario, Pichu, and then *gulp* Young Link.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
I completely agree. Ever since I was younger and I played Pokemon a TON, I always thought that the Pokemon became duller and duller and duller until now its just... Nintendo is transforming useless bugs, pets, and household objects into Pokemon.
All of the 1st generation was probably the best and most creative...
Like Seel! And Ekans. And Rattata. And Psyduck. Don't forget Grimer, which evolves into the extremely exciting Muk. Also, Voltorb, which evolves into the very creative Electrode.

Pokemon is a little repetitive at times, but the 1st generation was definitely not the peak of creativity.

mantlecore77

Smash Journeyman
Pokemon is a little repetitive at times, but the 1st generation was definitely not the peak of creativity.
Do you think that the "creativity" factor was all over the place, then? Or do you have a different opinion on when the peak of creativity was?

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
Do you think that the "creativity" factor was all over the place, then? Or do you have a different opinion on when the peak of creativity was?
I think most Pokemon are pretty creative and it's evident they put work into creating each one. It's just that most of the time, when people say a Pokemon is "uncreative", it's usually just a different reason. It's either "oh, I don't know what it's based on, so it's bad" or "oh, I do know what it's based on, so it's not creative." And still there's "oh, it's an evolution or a pre-evolution, it's bad" or even just "it's not 1st gen, so it's not good". There are some pretty bad reasons out there (none of these are aimed at you by the way), but I think the creativity is everywhere, yeah.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Alright the real reason that they cut mewtwo is because they only have 4 charaters at max representing each seris.

Think about it. Why is yoshi and wario not included in the mushroom kingdom

As for roy he's old
1: Pokemon has six reps.
2: Marth is older.
3: I'll give you that.
4: No. They can't.

@ Imperial Dark: Yes, you. This thread is genius. If it doesn't get spammed and flamed, it has potential.

ANYWAY. They could have done better with what they did to characters.

Dr. Mario, well...there's no place for him in smash anymore.
Mewtwo, he was original. He was also a cool character. He should have stayed in the game.
Roy, could have been given a different moveset.
Pichu could have been replaced by Plusle and Minun.
I think the young link replacement worked well. Young link and Toon link are *very* similar, but Toon Link is more up to date.

salaboB

Smash Champion
Doc Mario isn't as much of a clone in many ways as the others -- his forward air being a kill move rather than a spike noticably changed his gameplay, plus his movement and projectile also felt slightly different. It wasn't just a preference thing, I was significantly more effective with him than with Mario. So I'd say while their moves were the same motions, because of the different impacts they really could have left both in.

Ilex

Smash Ace
I would have liked the Doc to return with a non-cloned moveset. The rest of the cutties are either outdated (Young Link, Mewtwo) or implemented solely for promotion purposes (Roy, Pichu), so I could care less if they came back or not.

Omega Deman

Smash Apprentice
All I can say is put the Master Chief in!

Joking, please don't flame me because I am likely never gonna visit this thread again. Anyway, I personally like Doc over regular Mario. Even though he was a clone his moveset had properties significantly different from Mario. His Fair sent you up, more strength in general, increasing sex kick strength, tossed street drugs! I would have really liked him to return. The SSE could have easily included him in the story since those bombs ripped the fabric of space, time, and dimensions. Oh well, guess I will just have to make my own game... and will not except complaints about it.

PCHU

Smash Lord
I grew up with Pichu.
And this is what I get?

I mean come on.
The fact that he (or she, I don't care, Pichu rocked hard) hurt himself was what GAVE him rep.
So many people would use him.
I mean, he would be a LOT BETTER this time around, and I think that just like Sonic, people would use him out of fanboyism.
But there's a problem, so many people hated Pichu.
I don't see why.
He was the best joke character ever made.
But he takes out Pichu and stuffs in ROB and ZSS?
NO!
That isn't right.
A robot, and a TOY ROBOT at that, gets to fight but a Pokemon, capable of electric shock and running faster than it's fat brother, doesn't?
That's wrong.

SirKibble

Smash Champion
The best thing about Pichu was doing a Tiny Melee with only Poison Mushrooms.

Holy crap. He's like a mosquito. Making him run like that was a serious riot.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
I can't stand what you guys are saying about the Link situation.

All the games, or almost all the games, in the Legend of Zelda series can stand alone. The Link is different everytime, it's like a soul or spirit that can be found in different people, in different worlds, universes, dimensions, realms, even in different abstractions from reality (Link's Awakening).
Every Link that appears in any Legend of Zelda game is equally Link. It might not be the same chronological person, one is born on the cartoony island, one was born in Kokiri village, one is a fiction of a dream, i haven't even played all of the numerous games. But they all equally share the soul and spirit of Link, they are all Link.

The art style has no bearing whatsoever at all on whether a Link is a "different" Link, "modern" Link, "real" Link, or "fake" Link. The one in Oracle of Seasons for Game Boy is link, the one in Ocarina of time is Link, the one in Wind Waker is Link. The one that wasn't even an actual person, but a character in a dream, in "Link's Awakening", that's Link too.

So Link, by himself, in some form whatsoever, is adequate representation for any and all Link. If Super Smash Bros was remade with no changes tomorrow, it would already be adjusted to represent all the new Links, because they all have the same spirit as the one in Ocarina of Time, and an Ocarina of Time Link is in the original Super Smash Bros.

For some reason, Melee and Brawl felt like making more than one Link. The practice itself is frivolous and unnecessary, but they feel they need even more representation than the characters of the game can provide. Personally, I think Skull Kid would've been fine for that, or the girl that Link rescues in OoT (Princess Ruto?).

It doesn't matter what extra Link they provide, they don't have to. They can put whatever different form of him they want, and to name and tell them apart, describe any trait. Dream Link, Toon Link, Young Link, Link-wearing-hover-boots would all be equally legit characters.

Also, Young Link of Melee was NOT inferior because he starred in fewer games than Toon Link. He was part of the life of the star of OoT, and Majora's Mask, a great overlooked game, is all Young Link. Toon Link on the other hand, has fully starred on a console and a handheld, and if you wanted me to make a study on whether handhelds impact Smash less, i guarantee you they do. (Golden Sun would have been able to at least tie reps with R.O.B.)

Legit reasons for Toon Link over Young Link: Toon Link brings in different stages, the varied art style ads aesthetic variety to the game, the milk taunt is so awesome it should occur in only one game.

I already discussed the illegit reasons.

TWILTHERO

Smash Lord
A robot, and a TOY ROBOT at that, gets to fight but a Pokemon, capable of electric shock and running faster than it's fat brother, doesn't?
That's wrong.
A toy robot that was part of Nintendo's history.

Like it or not, Pichu was a clone and the only reason he was in was due to representation of the second generation. I'm darn glad he's out of the Brawl roster.

Yes, i'm a Pichu hater.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
Dr Mario: He had to be cut. When he entered the smash scene, many people thought him as a pointless character.

Pichu: See Dr Mario

Roy: His game was outdated and unlike the other FE lords that made it in Brawl. he only appeared in 1 game.

Mewtwo
: I wanted Mewtwo to return too, but he's not as popular anymore and Lucario was more popular than him at that point.

Young Link
: Toon Link is already in, and we don't need 3 Links

Yes. Everything he said.

Dr. Mario and Pichu aren't needed, Roy's role has passed, Young Link = Toon Link anyway in spirit. AND their all clones

Mewtwo, however is only a Mew clone, and Mew was not playable. So it should have been included, WITH Lucario.

majora_787

Smash Hero
If we added Young Link, we would have 3 links. All different links, but one with fire arrows. His moveset would most likely be the same, unless they made YL with a MM base. If they can still do that in SSB4, I hope they do. I want to see mask link as much as the next guy.

Pichu has no excuse to return. However, a good replacement would be plusle and minun.

R.O.B. is way more important to NINTENDO than Pichu is to POKEMON ALONE.

ZSS is technically samus. So tell me now why Samus should not be in SSB.

Dr. Mario has no real potential moveset right now. He is MARIO, and would have MARIO'S MOVESET. Different effects do not make him not a clone, nor do they make him not Mario. However, if they gave him a BRAND NEW GAME, then he MIGHT have enough to give him a good enough moveset to make him a luigified clone at LEAST. MAYBE.

A good idea would be to replace Roy with Eliwood. If Lyn can still be here, Eliwood can replace Roy. It's not like they would have to have totally different moves, but at least Roy has a potential replacement.

Mewtwo doesn't have a good replacement. He shouldn't have been removed at all.

PCHU

Smash Lord
I don't care if ROB saved the world, he has to go.
And ZSS scares me.
Both in appearance AND moveset.

And why be angry about Pichu?
That's like taking out any other clone.
They're apart of the series, so why should Pichu be any different?
They put in YLink, and he got replaced with TLink, which in essence IS YLink, but he got some stuff changed.
So why not change Pichu like they did Ganon and Falco and call it a day?
Luigify him.
I don't see why he SHOULDN'T have returned, he serves as the perfect sucky character, and Ganon has no right to take his place.

And they did Lucario wrong.
They practically made him with new moves but Mewtwo physics.
Last I checked Lucario was pretty fast, and Mewtwo was strong.
And Kirby didn't KO you by flying toward you at 2 MPH.
I understand Sakurai LOVES HIS SERIES, but couldn't he have NOT gotten high for once while making a character?

SuperMetroid44

Smash Lord
I grew up with Pichu.
And this is what I get?

I mean come on.
The fact that he (or she, I don't care, Pichu rocked hard) hurt himself was what GAVE him rep.
So many people would use him.
I mean, he would be a LOT BETTER this time around, and I think that just like Sonic, people would use him out of fanboyism.
But there's a problem, so many people hated Pichu.
I don't see why.
He was the best joke character ever made.
But he takes out Pichu and stuffs in ROB and ZSS?
NO!
That isn't right.
That's wrong.

Zero suit samus is samus, Just without her power suit.

TWILTHERO

Smash Lord
I don't care if ROB saved the world, he has to go. He's staying. deal with it
And ZSS scares me.
Both in appearance AND moveset. Lol. wut?

They're apart of the series, so why should Pichu be any different? Not important to Pokemon Series
They put in YLink, and he got replaced with TLink, which in essence IS YLink, but he got some stuff changed.
Luigify him. Not important to series
I don't see why he SHOULDN'T have returned, he serves as the perfect sucky character, and Ganon has no right to take his place. Um, yes he does in a way :p

I understand Sakurai LOVES HIS SERIES, but couldn't he have NOT gotten high for once while making a character?
Stop complaining dude. not trying to offend but still/

Shy Guy 86

Smash Ace
Dr.Mario: Should have been an alternate costume, not sure how Fludd and Fireballs will work, but he is the same mario, I'd rather have 2 Snakes/Links who there are more than one.

Mewtwo: He is more cooler than Lucario, Should have been in the game, but with a changed Side-B/Down B and a faster Neutral B, buffed moves too.

Pichu: Just add Plusle and Minun

Roy: He could have been able to have his own seperate moveset, but Ike is a good replacement.

Young Link: I would have liked him to be in the game more than TL, let TL be one of his alt colours, Young Link's yells are waaay cooler than Toon Link.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I don't care if ROB saved the world, he has to go.
And ZSS scares me.
Both in appearance AND moveset.

They're apart of the series, so why should Pichu be any different?
Luigify him.
I don't see why he SHOULDN'T have returned, he serves as the perfect sucky character, and Ganon has no right to take his place.

I'm not angry at Pichu. As a matter of fact, I made special movesets for Pichu and Roy to make them not total clones anymore.

But I stand by the following:

Replace Roy with Eliwood if it has to be done.
Replace Pichu with Plusle and Minun.
Replace Young Link with Mask Link.
KEEP MEWTWO.
Give Dr. Mario a new game and then see if you can give him a new moveset.

.:~*Momo*~:.

Smash Ace
You lost me at Dr. Mario... a character of his own with his own unique moveset? NO! A different costume for Mario with just the fireball changing to pills? Sure...

Omega_Star

Smash Lord
I think that Mewtwo is the only one of those characters who could reasonably have remained uncut, since Mewtwo was the most unique of them, and doesn't really have a replacement character (based on moveset) in Brawl. However, they would have had to have made Mewtwo better. Though of course, one could reasonably argue that Lucario serves the function of an upgraded Mewtwo and is just a different character, such as with Young Link to Toon Link, though Mewtwo's moveset was still distinct enough from Lucario's to merit Mewtwo being a different character.

Dr. Mario should have been made an alternate costume for Mario, as Wario had his overalls alternate costume. I don't think he merits his own character, though, even though I preferred using him over Mario in Melee.

Young Link has been replaced by Toon Link, which is basically a differently-styled Young Link with a and a better, more unique moveset. I really don't think that there's a reason to uncut Young Link when you have Toon Link. And it's Lon-Lon Milk.

Pichu was almost entirely extraneous; he was just about an objectively-worse, but cuter, version of Pikachu. Making a Pichu alternate costume for Pikachu wouldn't really work, either, since Pichu is smaller than Pikachu and making an alternate costume that is a different size than the original character would change how the character plays.

Roy was basically a promotional character, as I believe Ike is now, and Ike basically serves the function of a Roy differentiated from Marth. Roy was very similar to Marth, and I don't really think that they would have included Roy with a radically different moveset, since that would fundamentally change how the character is played (on top of the changes the different engine create), and they didn't do that with Ganondorf.

I didn't find any of your arguments to be very substantial :ohwell:

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Dr Mario: He had to be cut. When he entered the smash scene, many people thought him as a pointless character.

Mewtwo
: I wanted Mewtwo to return too, but he's not as popular anymore and Lucario was more popular than him at that point.

so what! Mewtwo doesn't need to be popular because he is the ultimate GOD of Legendaries, but yea just like the bumpers made their come back, so can Mewtwo.

Jahrule

Smash Rookie
Honestly, Dr. Mario, Young Link, and DEFINITELY Pichu are good to be gone.

Mewtwo really should've stayed. I don't exactly think that Lucario is a "clone" per se. Lucario's less floaty, attacks are a little quicker and conect better, and has a better shadow ball. Mewtwo had a really unique moveset that could've been tweaked for the better in Brawl.

...I don't know about Roy though. I'm not much of a FE fan, but I know that it's pretty popular in Japan, and now the US, but maybe they could tweak him so he wouldn't be a clone of marth.

Imperial Dark

Smash Cadet
In Defense of All the Cut Characters:
New Move Sets & More!​

Some say that alternate costumes won’t work. Some disagree. Some say my arguments weren't substantial. I agree (a little bit). So, to make things more interesting, how about they ALL get new move sets. Yeah, ALL of em', even Pichu and the Young One. Don't be imtimidated by my long post. Here we go...

In defense of Dr. Mario: Before I give Dr. Mario a new move set, I would like to point something out. Dr. Mario, like Pit, Mr. G&W, Ice Climbers, and R.O.B., is a character that goes in the “classic character” category. Because of this, I think he is a very important addition to the Smash series (now if we only had Pac-Man). Like Pit, he has only had two games so far… Dr. Mario for NES and for 64 (they were different games). However, he is making a come back- He has a new game coming out for Wii Ware. May I point out that Pit never made an actual comeback, and he got in. So why can’t Doctor Mario get in? To all those who say, “He’s the same as Mario!” I’m about to change that. Maybe he can have a new symbol, too? A mega vitamin, maybe? (*Note: It will be a “basic” move set. I’m not doing grabs , smashes, or aerial…)

A button: The same.

B: The same as Melee.

Side B: He throws a germ at his opponent. Imagine throwing a virus at someone and then giving them medicine! (which won’t heal them…) Similar to King DeDeDe’s.

Down B: While thinking of moves for Waluigi, I decided to give him a move where he kneels down and plants a piranha plant, which bites those who get too near. Dr. Mario can shove a germ into the ground. Whenever one gets to close to the area, the germ will pop out and attack! (Also, each germ has different attacks… red= fire, yellow= electricity, blue= purple darkness that Ganon has).

Up B: This was hard, but in the end I decided on a tether recovery with his stethoscope. Sweet, huh?

Final Smash: When you press the B button, a large bottle rises on screen (where it appears depends on which way the Doc is facing). Everyone trapped inside the bottle will get attack by hundreds of viruses, greatly increasing their damage.

In defense of Roy: I’ve never actually played a Fire Emblem game so… This not be too original. I’ll give it a shot though.

A: The same.

B: The same. Again.

Side B: He takes his combusting sword and throws it, similar to Link’s boomerang. However, this flaming sword is more like a giant spinning fire ball. You get the picture.

Down B: Either the same thing (to continue the FE pattern) or… He crouches down and spins his sword around. It is very low to the ground, and each time down-b is pressed, he does a single 180.

Up B: I really don’t think this needs to change, so… It won’t.

Final Smash: This move is subject to change but… He chucks his sword diagonally, creating a large “flame thrower” affect.

In defense of Mewtwo: Mewtwo doesn’t need to be defended. It seems like almost everyone wants him back anyway. He doesn’t need a new move set either. As for the final smash, this one’s in the air.

In defense of Young Link: Yes, I actually thought of one! I think you might like it too. It’s a mix of traditional and new… As for Toon Link, I don’t know.

A: Basic sword fling. Pretty much the same.

B: Instead of the bow, I’ve changed this into a sling shot. Maybe it should shoot Deku nuts to stun opponents.

Side B: This is the traditional bow. Instead of just starting on fire though, these blow up on contact.

Down B: Why does the Link threesome even carry shields in Smash? They never use them. Well, the Young one will. You know who I got this from.

Up B: I couldn’t scrap the spinning sword so… He does the spinning sword thing but, while in the motion he takes his shield in one hand and holds it below his feet, while spinning his sword in the other hand. This will block any attacks from the bottom.

Final Smash: I think he should start jamming on his orciana (sorry, probably spelled wrong). When played, strange things happen to his opponents… shrinking, the tendency to fall asleep randomly, and more will happen.

In defense of… Pichu: Man, this is tough. However I think I’ve done it… See for yourself… I think this is pretty amazing… Pichu may become my main now…

A: Same thing.

B: Instead of shooting a bouncing line of electricity, Pichu will shoot a ball of electricity, similar to when Pickachu Bs off a ledge. The electricity will move straight forward, giving it a Mario/Luigi fireball feel.

Side B: I’m tempted to make this a bite move… YEAH! That’s hilarious! So, this move works like Diddy’s… Pichu growls as it clamps on to an enemy biting and electrocuting him/her. Fear the ferocious Pichu! It has rabbis… (Just kidding, don’t eat me).

Down B: This one is cool too. Pichu shoots up a blue beam and whoever gets hit by this beam suddenly gets a huge surge of gravity, making the victim get spiked to the surface. Also, this can be used as a meteor Smash. I like that.

Up B: It’s pretty much the same thing except… Pichu leaves behind a trail of electricity that stays in place until the move is over. Pichu gets 4 “snaps”, giving more experienced players a chance to put someone in a square of electricity.

Final Smash: I think we should do the obvious. Pichu summons its friends, who proceed to summon a huge thunderstorm. You’ve got the idea.

What do you think? Would you accept the characters with these moves? Have any better ideas?

(P.S. I know lan-lan is suppose to be lon-lon... At least now I do. Thanks.)

Top Bottom