• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why play any characters below 12 or 13 tiers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

6Mizu

Smash Champion
Somewhere in the SubspaceEmissary(NC, Morrisville)
First of all, I have nothing against the people whom I'll be talking about below.

After I became open minded and saw the "real" competitive Brawl, I started to think about certain things. One of them I could not find an answer for.

Why play characters below tiers 12 or 13?
Pride?
Well, if it's pride than who can you have any of this with the bad characters you play? I mean I doubt anyone can have any pride if they lose most of the matches they play.

Honor?
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=272781
*Orion already explained how I feeling on this.

You play those characters because there apart of the cast for a reason?
Please keep thinking this way and keep attending tournaments, because I want who ever thinks this to learn the hard way. The people that think this need to open there eyes. This game was made so that only some characters could win. And if you play to win than about two-thirds of the cast isn't viable.

You feel like excited that you beat high tier with a low tier a couple times/you need a challenge?
Okay, this is just plain dumb. If this excites you than you should not play Brawl competitively. So what if you were able to accomplish this a couple times? It doesn't mean it'll happen again. How often do you see Low tiers doing "well" to every tournament they attend? Exactly, that's how often you'll accomplish this in competitive play. Also, if you feel you need a challenge, your playing the wrong characters because you'll never win. If you need a challenge and still want a possibility of winning...play a character like Marth. Marth is plenty challenging, and he can win.

I play this game for fun.
Well, then please don't bore the rest of us "smart" competitive players by coming to tournaments and playing the un-viable characters you play. This way no one has to waste their time.

You played "this" characters series/game for a long time?
So what? That doesn't mean you have to play this character in brawl. No one, except yourself, is making you play this character. Just because you "love" this character doesn't mean you MUST play him/her. Nor do you have to represent this character. So stop playing him/her.

I have a secondary which is a high tier.

This was me, about 3(ish) months ago. I was dumb back then and didn't see what I see know. If your this way than believe me if you play to win and you will not quit vBrawl than, eventually your main will change to your "secondary which is a high tier".

So some one please answer my question, because I see no good reasons why you play the characters you do.
If you play to win than you know what you need to do.

etecoon

Smash Hero
I personally will not put a significant amount of time into anyone outside of the top 10 or so. I really don't see why people want to get gayed over so badly, this game is badly designed lol

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
I don't really think this required a thread outside of Orion's, because you're basically attempting to do what he did.

People who aren't already maining high tier characters do so for reasons that ignore conventional logic, BASED on the concept of playing to win.

There's no point in telling them that they're bad and should feel bad. Also, do remember, these people feed the pot.

If they want to play low tier, let them. It's masochistic behavior at best, and these people won't be persuaded. Most of them understand the logical flaws, but will choose to do things their own way regardless.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
Considering that some people actually do quite well with "unviable" characters, I don't think that low tier mains "bore" anyone.

Some people don't use the higher-tiered characters because they don't like how they play. I don't like how Meta Knight, Falco, Marth, Ice Climbers, and others play, so I don't use them.

TBH I think you summed it up quite well at the end of your post:
While I like to win, don't really want to use many of the higher tiers, for various reasons. I play to win with the characters I like, and I'm fine with that.

Of course, I don't really go to tournaments either. :p

EDIT: I play Ganondorf, Ness, Samus, Jigglypuff, Bowser, and Captain Falcon all fairly frequently.

6Mizu

Smash Champion
Somewhere in the SubspaceEmissary(NC, Morrisville)
I don't really think this required a thread outside of Orion's, because you're basically attempting to do what he did.

People who aren't already maining high tier characters do so for reasons that ignore conventional logic, BASED on the concept of playing to win.

There's no point in telling them that they're bad and should feel bad. Also, do remember, these people feed the pot.

If they want to play low tier, let them. It's masochistic behavior at best, and these people won't be persuaded. Most of them understand the logical flaws, but will choose to do things their own way regardless.
I guess it's kinda like *Orion's threads, just more in depth.

BTW, I'm looking for answer from someone who plays a low tier character.

daballa100

Smash Cadet
The part about the pride for the low tier character is true in my opinion. You can't have pride or confidence if you keep losing. People say, "think positively," but I've figured out from years of playing basketball, that this does not work. No matter how positive you are about your character, if it's a low tier you will always have the memory of losing a match in your mind. When you do this kind of thinking, you know that you're lying to yourself. This is similar to how if you're starting out in basketball, you're a pro brick layer. You think positively, thinking you're a good shooter, but in your head you know you suck.

I think it's perfectly fine to main a low tier, you just have to know that you might be in dept by next year if you hit tournaments as much as Tiger hits the club (not the golf kind). If you wanna win at tournaments and win more money, then you have to main a high(er) tier character. It never means you have to put your fave low tier away, you can play him/her/it in friendlies at tournaments.

People don't play high tiers mostly because they don't enjoy playing extremely gay. Since brawl is such a gay game, you have to play that way to win. MK out gays the rest of the cast, which is why he's top dog. Respect the fact that people don't like playing this way to win. You shouldn't worry about these kinds of people, because after all, if you're playing a high tier character to win, you shouldn't need to care about other people winning.

All in all, this is a video game. Play as much and/or gay as you want. Win (or atleast try) as much as you want. Spend as much money on it as you want. Be as addicted as much as you want (hopefully not too much).

I hope I am in no way offending anybody.

PieDisliker

Smash Lord
NNID
PieDisliker
Tbh, this thread seems really useless to me. Telling people to only main high tiers won't change the circumstances they're in. It'll happen for them on their own, or won't happen at all. I should know, I used to main Ness and moved onto Wario on my own. I knew I had more potential with him so I started using him more. And this is even just wifi alone.

I'd like reasons as to why particularly mid-tiers are unviable, when they really seem to be with a secondary.
Like DK, Fox, etc. These characters aren't useless in competitive play. Yeah, you can't solely use them and win a national or probably even a regional... but they can still be used.

There's a difference between unviable and barely viable.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Same reason why someone plays any character below #1. Chances are, you're going to have around a 40:60 or worse against MK anyways *shrug* Or at least, that's the way I look at it.

People just have their preferences in the characters they wish to play and generally be successful with. They may like the way the character plays, or may be a fan of one or more games the character stars in.

My character isn't as great as I want, but I'm at a point where the character I generally have to keep finding new things about is MK. My only other choice is to go MK dittos, which I'm not really fond of doing, so..

I'd rather just play disadvantaged with a character I'm great at instead of disadvantaged with a character I'm not so great at or an MK ditto I probably don't have as much experience with.

Goldenadept

Smash Lord
because if we dont then no one will, everyone will be MK except that one dude who's still snake or falco and everyone will ask him "dude why play a low tier character? just play MK"
and at that point brawl will be dead
right now its just rotting from the inside

besides wolf is much more ****** than a bat with a mask

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Because Yoshi is my best character, and he feels natural to me.

Pride: You can get MASSIVE respect for placing well with a low tier character. I've gotten it for performing like **** with Yoshi.

Honor: Some people do it because they don't want to "sell their souls" and pick a top tier. I do it because Yoshi is far and away my most natural feeling character.

Part of the cast for some reason: Uh, what? This kind of ties in with honor or pride or something.

Feeling excited by beating a high tier: **** straight I do. It's an amazing feeling getting hype for going toe to toe with MK using a crap character. However, this is not the only reason I play Yoshi, it's just a neat little bonus. Cool Story Bro Time: I attracted a huge crowd of people at Polybrawl and there was massive hype to see a Yoshi lose. I lost, GGs to Jtails, and it was very fun.

Playing the game for fun: I love Brawl, so yes, I do play it for fun.

Always used Yoshi: No, this is my first competitive smash game ever. I switched mains periodically as well until I found my most comfortable character.

I have a high tier secondary: No, solo Yoshi. He's far and away my best, and using a secondary would only give me worse results.

Basically, I use a low tier because he's the most natural to me. My playstyle meshes well with my character, and any other character I've tried to play is MUCH worse than my Yoshi. It's at the point where there's no point in picking up a top tier, I wouldn't do any better anyways. That, and I believe Yoshi does indeed have viable MUs against common tournament characters, so he is viable in this metagame. He's mediocre to me, not low tier crap.

-RedX-

Smash Lord
Because I can't find success with high tier characters and I don't want to put a lot of time in another character.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
To advance the metagame?
____
:sonic:
That really only works at all if theircharacter is within the top 12-13.

Playing Link in tourneys will not advance the meta-game at all.

There's a reason it's called the META-game. (Read: Highest level and/or Meta-Knight, it's the same thing really.)

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
Everybody can't be number one. Not everyone wants to be the best, some people genuinely just have fun playing the game and their character suits them or they get the most enjoyment out of using that character. If they win: **** awesome. If they lose it's not all that big of a deal, they're aware that their character is not good and just honestly don't care. Besides it's a lot easier to say that when you aren't aware or knowledgable of the characters metagame but when you are there are aspects of how the character is played that is ultimately more satisfying than losing with MK anyway.

If the person is using a low tier than 98/100 times they aren't playing to win. 1/100 they are using some exploitable gimmick the character has, and the remaining 1 is because they are gangsta and feel like it.

@raziek, to advance that specific character's Meta-game. There's no denying that Link is bad but he'll get even worse if nobody makes the effort. It's a matter of people wanting to keep their mains out of Ganon's spot.

Riddle

Smash Lord
Why cut it off at a third of the cast? I could just a s well argue that I'd u don't plat mk u aren't playing to win. Your post also implies that all chars have reached their full potential. Maybe someday ganon will be the best. Who knows?

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
First of all, I have nothing against the people whom I'll be talking about below.

After I became open minded and saw the "real" competitive Brawl, I started to think about certain things. One of them I could not find an answer for.
I've accepted the fact that I have to tier ***** to some degree in card games, because the tiers in that game are way more significant than fighting games.

Why play characters below tiers 12 or 13?
Pride?
Well, if it's pride than who can you have any of this with the bad characters you play? I mean I doubt anyone can have any pride if they lose most of the matches they play.
I take pride in enjoying what I'm doing as a first priority over winning. If I tier whored and won but didn't enjoy it I wouldn't have a reason to play this game.

Honor?
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=272781
*Orion already explained how I feeling on this.
You should explain this, because he did a terrible job at it and tried trolling everyone who didn't straight up agree with him.

You play those characters because there apart of the cast for a reason?
Please keep thinking this way and keep attending tournaments, because I want who ever thinks this to learn the hard way. The people that think this need to open there eyes. This game was made so that only some characters could win. And if you play to win than about two-thirds of the cast isn't viable.
Who's viable or unviable is like asking someone if their glass is half empty or half full. Viability is arbitrary when the situation matters.

Besides if people went by this logic, Diddy would still be mid tier because no one would touch him.

You feel like excited that you beat high tier with a low tier a couple times/you need a challenge?
Okay, this is just plain dumb. If this excites you than you should not play Brawl competitively. So what if you were able to accomplish this a couple times? It doesn't mean it'll happen again. How often do you see Low tiers doing "well" to every tournament they attend? Exactly, that's how often you'll accomplish this in competitive play. Also, if you feel you need a challenge, your playing the wrong characters because you'll never win. If you need a challenge and still want a possibility of winning...play a character like Marth. Marth is plenty challenging, and he can win.
I'm sorry but the Gimpyfish rebuttal is a load of crap. You tell people they can't win, chances are they don't care and will keep trying. They have their reasons for playing who they do, you have yours. They picked their character and accepted all of the pros and cons that came with it. They knew what they were getting into and went with it.

Why should you care if they willingly took the risks?

Well, then please don't bore the rest of us "smart" competitive players by coming to tournaments and playing the un-viable characters you play. This way no one has to waste their time.
I play and enter tournaments for fun, doesn't mean I;m holding back since if you enter a tournament your trying to win with however you want to win.

If you call it a waste of time and lose to it, it will be hilarious for irony, just saying.

You played "this" characters series/game for a long time?
So what? That doesn't mean you have to play this character in brawl. No one, except yourself, is making you play this character. Just because you "love" this character doesn't mean you MUST play him/her. Nor do you have to represent this character. So stop playing him/her.

They choose to for whatever reason, so? They don't have to pick a top/high tier to try and win. It increases there chances, but they can choose not to anyways.

I have a secondary which is a high tier.
This was me, about 3(ish) months ago. I was dumb back then and didn't see what I see know. If your this way than believe me if you play to win and you will not quit vBrawl than, eventually your main will change to your "secondary which is a high tier".
I think a secondary is only needed for those, OMFG DDD vs DK or simularly bad MU's that are a train wreck, but hey if they go for the secondary route oh well, if not well they keep playing the way they do.

So some one please answer my question, because I see no good reasons why you play the characters you do.
Because we choose to for whatever reason we choose to. Why do you care, if it causes us to lose, more money for you, if not then they won with someone they like playing.

Character choice is a personal choice.

Stop caring about who people play.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
@raziek, to advance that specific character's Meta-game. There's no denying that Link is bad but he'll get even worse if nobody makes the effort. It's a matter of people wanting to keep their mains out of Ganon's spot.
That's..... actually a very valid point. Nobody wants to be the bottom of the barrel.

Also, 400th post GET.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
man this thread is ridiculous.

People will play characters that they like. That's the thing about Brawl, you get the chance to play as your favorite character. You could use a good character all you want and win matches with him, but if you're not having fun with that character then why play?

Even if you lose all your matches, if you're having fun using that character then you're doing what you should be doing with a video game. Enjoying the game.

Smash Master
You missed a couple which I (as an Ike main) feel describe my position best:

1.) I don't think Ike is as bad as the tier list says. He's got lagless aerials, he can ususally recover, tons of range, and he can "gimp" with his f-smash. His jab combo is also fairly damaging, and you can usually rack up an extra 22 with Aether once a match. He also kills lower than anyone else, and he's always got multiple non-stale options for killing. IMO what's holding him back primarily is his horrible MK matchup.

2.) I've played everyone, and attempted to learn several characters (including Metaknight) and Ike just feels the most natural to me. I like using A to aerial, so fastfalling neutrals is easy. I can CC jabs well, my spacing is good, and I know how to DI properly. I also like the high-risk, high-reward stuff, since I lack patience. I don't know how to camp well, I don't stay grounded enough, and I'm horrible on platforms.

link2702

Smash Champion
because some folks honestly can't stand any of the top tiers playstyles/the way they feel, or maybe they just flat out don't have any fun using em, EVEN if they're winning with em, smash is stil a video game at its core, most folks still want to have SOME fun in it. if you're not having any fun whatsoever, why play it? not everyone makes a video game their whole life/source of income.

dj asakura

Smash Ace
I really don't understand why there seem to be so many people who care if someone plays a low tier. Who cares? If that's what they want to do, then by all means let them do it?

Why does anyone care?

chaosGanondorf

Smash Cadet
I really don't understand why there seem to be so many people who care if someone plays a low tier. Who cares? If that's what they want to do, then by all means let them do it?

Why does anyone care?
This.

Brawl is gayness. If people want to pick Ike(me) and lose fine. That is more money for the winners. Really why would you want everyone playing with top tier? You are there to win so stop thinking about other people's choices, and play to WIN.

Its not like many of the top players are being taken out by pocket MK's or IC's.

Col. Stauffenberg

Smash Lord
This was probably my favorite part.

Get off your high horse lol. I still can't fathom what kind of a person would be bothered enough by this to feel the need to speak out.

napZzz

Smash Hero
Dont people usually play who they have fun with? Not everyone plays to win, even if they're competitive. They just wanna play their character in a competitive setting and have fun with it. Like I said, being competitive does NOT mean someone is playing to win. The setting of competitive matches lets you put your skills to the test, play to the fullest, and the matches are generally much more exciting. Winning with your crappier character can just be a bonus as well. Leave them alone, no need to make a thread like that questioning why they play someone they enjoy when they're no different than someone who just tier whores to play to win

Pardon this mizu, but you're somewhat ********. If you wanna make a good thread maybe you should think it through first.

I mean, before brawl came out I already planned on playing snake, being a huge mgs fanboy. then I liked his weird playstyle, and it turned out he was top tier. I didn't flock to him like some scrub looking to win, but things just came to me that way. Its almost insulting to top tier mains to say something this stupid, implying we play these characters just to win.

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
Because:

I'm ahead of the metagame with my character. You have no idea how to deal with it, plus I have superior mindgames, so i'm going to give you the ****. The tier list doesn't reflect this.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Sorry, I'm closing this thread. Like mentioned, we don't need two separate, active threads on virtually the same topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom