• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why Sonic Sucks- aka learn to player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tenki

Smash Hero
I just discover and suggest stuff.

I'm far from a good player. D:

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
I mean footstool combo. Seriously, landing just one of those is worth it.

Strike Battlefield against the jerk every chance you get. I'm serious.

I don't think anyone should bother trying to get into SBR anymore. It's kinda just a chatroom for the uninformed, with a sprinkling of actually good players. I've been hosting/running/placing well in tournaments for a long time in Colorado, and they haven't even had the decency to reject my app from like... 2 months ago. Hell, I represent the Colorado chapter of NVGA, and they've just kind of blown me off. Meanwhile, a guy that doesn't even play the game is allowed to post and view topics in SBR because he tossed some change their way.

Most uncool.

Just message the good players to get information. That's all you need to do.

Napilopez

Smash Lord
TENKI FOR SBR PREZ LULZ!?!!1eleventyone!!!

Ahem.

Btw has anyone read Tenki's profile sig on AiB? Its hilarious.

"Whoa! A stalker! Bet you wanna find out what you're up against, huh?! I'm Tenki, The Best Meatknight And Snack Main Ever! I Beat People So Fast That Their Eyes Go Spinny Just Trying To Follow Their Character, So They Nickname Me Sonic! Why yes, caps are nice."

Tenki

Smash Hero
Btw has anyone read Tenki's profile sig on AiB? Its hilarious.

"Whoa! A stalker! Bet you wanna find out what you're up against, huh?! I'm Tenki, The Best Meatknight And Snack Main Ever! I Beat People So Fast That Their Eyes Go Spinny Just Trying To Follow Their Character, So They Nickname Me Sonic! Why yes, caps are nice."
on this off-topic note:
I'm considering giving up on the ladder, at least, not going for top 32 (for the money prize lol).

I got to top 34 with a pretty good record while leeching off someone's network (their router was connected to the dorm/university connection) with my roommate's wii. It was amazing. I had like 4 blue connections, and a ton of greens, and 1 red. ;___; but he shut it off, and the wii can't do the login shiz.

So now I can only use my home network, on weekends, and it's considerably slower, so bah D;

Napilopez

Smash Lord
=/ Booo, thats basically my situation, except that I have no wii at all in college, and that my connection at home is actually very good.

Imma try to buy that adaptec gamebridge thingy so I can bring my Wii to my dorm. That way I can at least practice for my upcoming first tourney. That, or I'll find somewhere I can practice some brawl. -_-

Its hard trying to do well on that ladder when the only matches you get are on weekends, after a week with no practice whatsoever =/ Especially when you're trying to become a better player, not just a better Sonic. Ahh well.

I think my AiB record is hilarious. My "skill" level is passable(though it degrades quite a bit from not playing during the weekdays), yet I have a win percentage of only less than 40%, compared to people with much higher win percentages and less or equal skill points XD.

This is because because I'm able to beat people with much higher skill level than mine when I'm actually playing in my Zone, and with a strong connection =P It seems that noobs have slower connection, thus I lose, yet higher ranked folks have a stronger connection, thus, I fare well. I can recall very few sets where I was completely dominated. Most were sooo close, which is what frustrates me.

Connection won't be a prob for my tourney. I just gotta stay in the Zone, yo.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
most ppl in the sbr, arent that great,

remember that video of anthers sonic and samuraipandas DK, his DK was kinda buns
also, look at M2K, arguably the best player in both games, and hes not in the SBR either

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
It's just a little yacht club. Ignore them and most of the stuff that comes out of there.

I mean, c'mon. Bowser is higher than Luigi on their tier list. Wtf?

I already expressed my sentiments on SP. He doesn't seem like a bad guy, but he has too many people dickriding him for stupid stuff. At least he's not like Gimpy, letting it get to his head and stopping with the being cool as soon as people start talking about him. D:

wolvie616

Smash Rookie
thank you

i am a firm believer in tiers.
i am also new here, so you all have more experience biut hear me out.

im not hte best player out there, and never participate in gamers tournaments, but i do not think sonic is trash either.

with sonic,pikachu, link, fox (insert other low tier guy here) i regularly beat my friends who are much better than me, lvl 7 and up cpus, and with sonic i have even beaten many online players.

all you need to do is learn how to control his speed. sure he has nothing long range, but still, his whole gameplay is supposed to be hit and run.

if that isn't your style, he still has beast grabs, you can spam with homing attack, and has great combo setups, and in my opinion the best smash in the game.

so don't count him out. it all depends on the player, not the tier:)

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
Worst necropost ive seen in months. All of this is untrue. Spamming Homing Attack is terrible, beating online players (i take this is with anyone) does not count, beating your friend proves nothing, cause he probably still sucked. LVL 7 Cpu's suck too. Sorry, but this isn't a great first post. You should lurk the forums some more and get an idea how it works.
I'll hope to see you back someday.

*JuriHan*

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-4901-1779

im not hte best player out there, and never participate in gamers tournaments, but i do not think sonic is trash either.

with sonic,pikachu, link, fox (insert other low tier guy here) i regularly beat my friends who are much better than me, lvl 7 and up cpus, and with sonic i have even beaten many online players.

all you need to do is learn how to control his speed. sure he has nothing long range, but still, his whole gameplay is supposed to be hit and run.

if that isn't your style, he still has beast grabs, you can spam with homing attack, and has great combo setups, and in my opinion the best smash in the game.

:chuckle:"You're too slow!":laugh:

but seriously, cpus and people on random wifi don't mean much. They can only take you so far.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
lol?

+what others said.

:093:

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Worst necropost ive seen in months. All of this is untrue. Spamming Homing Attack is terrible, beating online players (i take this is with anyone) does not count, beating your friend proves nothing, cause he probably still sucked. LVL 7 Cpu's suck too. Sorry, but this isn't a great first post. You should lurk the forums some more and get an idea how it works.
I'll hope to see you back someday.
lol?

+what others said.

wow, you guys are douchebags, i feel like i should report you for flaming, and knowing that you dont like him, xiivi will ban you in a hott second.

this is how your responce should have gone...

ok, sure.

thats good.

technically, pikachu and fox are not low tier, and as a matter of fact i personally think pikachu is top tier
also, if you regularly beat people better than you, than they really arent that much better than you are they?
unfortunately, in the higher levels of competition, playing people online is not a good indication of skill, because of the lag, it takes away the ability for players to do certain things that require precise timing, like powershielding attacks.

this sentence was made of pure truth. good job.

yes, no yes again and no again.
yes, his grab game is very good.
no, good players, will learn very quickly, to punish homing attacks very hard if they get predictable.
yes, his combo setups are very good.
no, his smashes all range from average to below average

all in all, it was a good first post but as anybody new to the smash scene, you have some misconceptions.

I hope the dicklyness of the previous posters dont discourage you from the sonic boards, smash world forums, or even super smash brothers as a whole.

i hope you continue to use these boards as a way to improve yourself and increase your enjoyment of the game

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
wow, you guys are douchebags, i feel like i should report you for flaming, and knowing that you dont like him, xiivi will ban you in a hott second.
lolno?

I love Xiivi. I think he's the only good mod we ever had for this character boards.

Unless of course you're referring to Gf2, I can't speak for him, lol.

I usually respond to stuff like this nicely, but ya know, when someone bumps up an old thread with what you call "a good post with mosconceptions" (a post that lacks knowledge of the Smash metagame + poor grammer/punctuation) that taught us nothing new, I don't see much reason to.

I'm not just some douchebag, when I first joined and made stupid posts, I got flamed. It built character (online).

But all in all, yes. Welcome to the boards wolvie. I'm glad you got something out of this and I hope you enjoy your stay here. "Flames" are nothing personal.

Tenki

Smash Hero
lol, wolvie, thanks for the bump <3

I won't bother repeating their points, but I just wanna say that this thread was originally in response to people being too bugged out/distracted about Sonic's placement on the first tier list and getting trolled/trolling the various tier list threads. Like, at every mention of Sonic in the tier list thread, there'd be like 4-5 posts from Sonic mains correcting people/arguing for a higher place on the tier list. It was annoying.

It was to get people back on track and try to become better players since, at the time, there were an even fewer amount of developed players using Sonic, so less significant representation in the eyes of other people.

lol, it wasn't a thread debating on the existence of tiers or anything.

..?

That makes no sense.

I see Sonic more as something like this:

Eva-01 eating Angel Steak.

Sonic players more like this:

Pilot of Eva-03, who, as anyone familiar with the series should know, was taken over by an Angel.

You might think, wtf is this anime shiz?, but this has meaning, though. He who has steak in his ear, let him hear.

Evas (the giant mech monster things) are a symbol of Sonic. Evas are controlled by pilots. Characters are controlled by players.
The first picture shows Eva Unit 01 devouring an Angel. You can see the Steak in the Eva's mouth.

The second picture is a loser of a pilot who just wanted to be as cool as his friend who was saving teh city with his Eva. By some miracle, he was chosen to pilot an Eva. However, his Eva was taken over by an Angel. While he was under the influence, he survived nukes and did major bad***ery until he got killed by his best friend, who mained MK piloted the Eva that ate the Angel.

That is the general Sonic main.

A player who wanted to be cool and main Sonic to prove that he doesn't suck. He started to main Sonic, but he was overwhelmed and taken over by Steak (because, as proven in the first picture, the Angels are just a huge conglomeration of Steak). He was able to perform and survive crazy shiz. However, he came up against the player who conquered the Steak, and was defeated.

The player who conquered the Steak was the one who got over the fact of the character and learned to manipulate beyond the character level, and into the players' level. The player who got taken over by the Steak was obviously way too caught up with his character. Of course, he ravaged people who didn't know how to handle the matchup, but he ran into the good player. And even though it was painful, the good player knew how to handle this guy and mind****d him to his death.

BONUS:

And this is the Sonic main who piloted the Eva that ate the Steak.

He's a fanboy, yes he is.
Thanks to infzy for... uh... Shinjonic.
baaaaaaahahahahaha

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
This is true
Unless of course you're referring to Gf2, I can't speak for him, lol.
No, KID is right, I don't like Xiivi

But yeah, the post didn't really give me anything to think about, except on how to facepalm this time. Even I did some lurking before posting. I could tell this is going nowhere. Sure, I hope he'll back later, but at the same time, I do hope my dicklyness has scared him off to lurk more. If he decides to stay away from Sonic boards/Smash boards because some random stranger on the internet told some stuff he didn't like, well played sir, you need a backbone.

As for this thread, I don't think it's that important nowadays, Sonics metagame has improved since the dawn of this thread. Sonic doesn't really suck anymore :p

P.S. nice pic Tenki, I remember it lol.

darkNES386

Smash Lord
As for this thread, I don't think it's that important nowadays, Sonics metagame has improved since the dawn of this thread. Sonic doesn't really suck anymore :p
From the massive AT Thread:
Brawl'sSAWNIKS Advanced Techniques are mostly situational as the "win button" won't behasn't been discovered yet (if it exists). Therefore, Brawl AT'shis should be used as supplements to your core strategy, not the center of it.
I thought my Sonic was technical enough to make an impact somewhere, and for some reason, I believed it....

I was wrong.

I picked up this chracter when brawl came out, because i intentionaly wanted to be known as one of the best Sonic players, despite how good/bad he would end up being.

But no matter how "technical" i got with this character, I still feel like i lose to people I should not.

.... but i don't think i'm ever gonna go anywhere with him, not anymore. I'm not Malcolm, Espy, or Mr.3000, and quite frankly, I'm amazed these people can take a horrible character so far in tourneys. But I dont think i have the skill to do it.
So yeah, I think it's still relative if Sonic players today are getting frustrated. Kojin is sick of losing to predictable players. We should be reminded that in the end, we're the one's controlling Sonic. If we try (and fail) to punishing an ike jab combo by walking into another, let DeDeDe chain grab us across the entire stage, or roll against Meta Knight and eat a downsmash then that's not Sonic... that's us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom