• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why Super Smash Brothers needs to become a 3D Fighter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smashed11

Smash Cadet
First off, this is not an idea, this is what NEEDS to be done.

10 years ago - 1998
Super Smash Brothers was Released for the N64. As we all know, it was primarily a 2-D game [the exception being character Sprites & several projectiles]
In its Wake, we have seen 2 of its predecessers [Melee & Brawl]. Troughout these 10past years, all Original smashers [i am one] Smash has lost its feel for what it truly was supposed to be, a simplatic fighting game where the objective was to beat all Pikachus until they were no longer moving. Now, Sakuri is IMO losing grip of what it truly means to be a smasher, bringing in 3rd party characters [who truly have no place in the smash Series, and ruining the message of the game] and making the game far too advanced [also besides popular belief: to fast, far too detailed, and too hardcore].
A few of my friends and I [all 64smashers] come to the same conclusion.. the series must GO BACK TO STEP ONE TO STAY ALIVE & FRESH.
Now, the only way to accomplish this without hindering the game would be to make it a simple 3D fighter [with a roster that represents what this proud series once was].
I realy dont care how many of u manage to shrug this off, because it will only be a matter of time until this series is a Madden/MarioParty type series [if it stays on a 2D level]

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
No.
Smash doesn't NEED anything.
Even in real life,you don't HAVE to do anything (cept for 2 things). All choices.
But no back to the point, if what your saying by this is that Smash is trying to get fancy for pointless reasons, well obviously more people like it like this. (Hence, huge sales of the game).
If your wanting to "keep it fresh" with the 3-D thing, think about how annoying the gameplay would be like that.
Not thats I'm one of those super-duper teir queers or anything, but it would probably ruin competitiveness for Smash IMO.
No 3-D. 2-D is fine.
Smash is Smash.
Just go back to playing N64 Smash if you like it.
Super Smash Bros will never become Mario Party of Madden.
It's too good and we love it too much.

metaXzero

Smash Champion
-________-

Smash is fine in 2D. Just like Street Fighter is fine in 2D.

And how is Smash getting more "advanced"? In order of high level play, it goes Melee>64>Brawl.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
I don't really agree with you about anything else you said, but I do think the next Smash Bros. needs something big to differentiate itself from its previous installments.

retro gamer 6

Smash Journeyman
sakurai"s losinbg his grip because he brought in 3rd party characters? are you crazy? thats one thing he did right in smash bros. he's losing his grip on other important aspects of smash bros. (not wavedashing, we don't need it!).

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
Well I'm an original smasher as well and I think that is a horrible idea I also think that 3rd parties were a great idea and I wish there were more.

Meccs

@Meccs_
this would be a terrible idea. Smash is fine in 2-D, 3-D would ruin it. If something ain't broke then there's no need to fix it.

RixMaadi

Smash Cadet
Street Fighters and King of Fighters are 2 series that have been around for a long time and stuck with the 2D idea. They got some 3D graphics, but the 2D gameplay is still there. Though, if it did went to 3D, I could see the gameplay being more like Power Stones, which wasn't a bad game, but I don't think it was a very competitive game, and I don't believe Smash Bros. is fully casual.

Actually, I'm curious now, is there a 3D fighter that's considered to be competitive?

rhan

Smash Hero
Smashed11, you tired but...this idea...just is bad. I mean hey I give you props for trying but the game is already VERY different from other fighters. Making it into a 3-D game would only ruin the series even more. Plus how would all the mechanics work in a 3-D realm?

smashbro29 said:
Well I'm an original smasher as well and I think that is a horrible idea I also think that 3rd parties were a great idea and I wish there were more.
3rd parties is a horrible idea. Smash was originally intended to be Nintendo characters going at it. Now with all these people wanting new characters from other consoles it takes away from the original plan.

Stroupes

Smash Lord
Well, I opened up this topic, and, from the title, I could already tell it was a bad idea.
tl;dr anyway.
Smash can NEVER become a 3-d fighter, because that's a ridiculous idea.

Sygmus

Smash Cadet
You said it yourself, Smash is meant to be a simplistic fighting game. Fighting in 3-D is only going to complicate things, in my opinion. Even if Smash gets several more games in the series, I don't think it'll ever feel old or rehashed like Mario Party. Smash is a very popular game series and Sakurai's team takes a long time to make sure it will be a success. There may be new aspects to the game in the future, but it'll never be more than a simple party/fighting game that's fun for hardcore and friendly players alike.

Adding 3rd party characters was a good idea and I hope we get a couple more in the next game, even if I don't normally play Sonic or Snake. The only criteria to get into a Smash game should be that the character should have been in a Nintendo game, and it has to be a character that originated as a video game character (NO ANIME CHARACTERS!) And I'd prefer if it was a character who actually did some fighting, I hate it when people suggest Tom Nook or Phoenix Wright as possible characters.

BEES

Smash Lord
Smash does not need to be 3D.

Capcom does need to make another PowerStone. And another Tech Romancer.

Street Fighters and King of Fighters are 2 series that have been around for a long time and stuck with the 2D idea. They got some 3D graphics, but the 2D gameplay is still there. Though, if it did went to 3D, I could see the gameplay being more like Power Stones, which wasn't a bad game, but I don't think it was a very competitive game, and I don't believe Smash Bros. is fully casual.

Actually, I'm curious now, is there a 3D fighter that's considered to be competitive?
PowerStone wasn't competitive, but it wasn't really around for long. Probably had undiscovered depth. *digs out dreamcast and looks for wavedashing*

Twilght Link

Smash Journeyman
I've been playing smash since n64 and no i don't want it to necome.....3d.....th-that w-would just take away w-what made smash smash. And i don't want the game to become....even more casual. All you need to do if you want to please the casuals is add more wacky items and stages. Smash is meant to be simple, yes that is correct, but look at melee. Sakurai accidentally created the greatest fighting game there has ever been. In brawl he shot the competitive aspects of melee in the foot so everyone can smile. If sakurai wants everyone to smile so much, i'd introduce him to the Joker.

retro gamer 6

Smash Journeyman
You just made my brain melt:( when i read that but i think smash should stay the way it is for the sake of any 2D characters
i'm not agreeing to the idea os smash being a 3-D game. i'm just saying game and watch would be funny to have in a 3-D smash bros. game (which i hope it never happens.)

RixMaadi

Smash Cadet
....I want to slap you.

Virtua Fighter is huge overseas, SC4 is pretty big from what I hear, DOA is pretty big.
Would those really be considered 3D? Eh, I guess so, since they use rolling in and out and SC using vertical and horizontal slashes. I always thought of them being more 2D gameplay with 3D graphics, but I forget about how they use the 3D environment.

So nvm my question.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Would those really be considered 3D? Eh, I guess so, since they use rolling in and out and SC using vertical and horizontal slashes. I always thought of them being more 2D with 3D gameplay, but I forget about how they use the 3D environment.

So nvm my question.
I think some people play those dumb 3-D Naruto games competitively. I stumbled upon a tournement of it once.

Steelia

Smash Champion
Hmm.

Smash Bros. should stick with 2-D fighting.

HOWEVER.

I could see where there could be an OPTIONAL mode where you could play 3-D fighting matches as characters... Perhaps in either a future adventure mode, an alternate fighting mode altogether, I don't know... But to say that Smash would be better if it took a step back?
Ehh... I don't know about you, but I think Smash Bros. Brawl got a LOT more rep and higher scores from major game reviewers compared to Melee and the original Smash Bros. 64.

So far, Smash has been doing just fine on the track it has been running.

BEES

Smash Lord
Would those really be considered 3D? Eh, I guess so, since they use rolling in and out and SC using vertical and horizontal slashes. I always thought of them being more 2D gameplay with 3D graphics, but I forget about how they use the 3D environment.

So nvm my question.
Virtual On is a good example of a 3D fighter. I know there are a lot of fighters that are 'weak 3d', where you can move around in 3 dimensions, but you always face your opponent, and the attacks line up in a plane, roughly.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
I keep hearing about that ****, never seen it, lol

There's some depth, not enough though, lololololol.
If anyone thinks characters in this game are broken, they should go play those games.
I swear.
NOTHINGS EVEN BANNED.
Its like playing every level, with items, with final smashes, being able to use your final smash whenever you want, MAJOR spamming (almost everyone has spamable projectiles), being able to escape or break combos instantly without using any skill (press ONE button)...
I could go on.
Don't complain about Smash. lol

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
If anyone thinks charecters in this game are broken, they should go paly those games.
I swear.
NOTHINGS EVEN BANNED.
Its like playing every level, with items, with final smashes, being able to use your final smash whenever you want, MAJOR spamming (almost everyone has spamable projectiles), being able to escape or break combos instantly without using any skill (press ONE button)...
I could go on.
Which Naruto are we talking 'bout here?

Twilght Link

Smash Journeyman
If anyone thinks charecters in this game are broken, they should go paly those games.
I swear.
NOTHINGS EVEN BANNED.
I could go on.
Oh jeez

Well i think brawl is fine the way it is. Making 3d would make it into something it shouldn't be.....normal.

Smash is special:
It's a 2d "fighter" with 3d graphics
Has no health bars
Has Nintendo characters
Has items
The goal is to smash ur opponent off the stage

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Clash of Ninja.
(pretty much any on in the series)
Actually the specials are easy to avoid, lol. I haven't played the fourth one since I'm not an import ***, but the 2 gamecube one (the last one here not on the wii) doesn't have very many viable characters.

Don't ask how I know this, I hate the Naruto series.

YourTooSlow

Smash Apprentice
im sorry OP; you make a bold statement in your topic sentence, but rant on about things that dont support your 3D claim. this thread simply does not make any sense except for the fact that people keep crying about a nintendo game.

Moy

Where's the coffee cake?
Slippi.gg
MOY#56
I hate the Naruto series.
So do I.

On the point, Smash should stay like it is. Smash is unique for a being a "2.5D" game, that is, 2D fighters with 3D graphics.

If Smash were to change to be like Tekken or Virtua Fighter, Smash would lose what a lot of people love about it, a unique, fun fighting game.

I really hate those type of games stated above. Actually, I don't really even like fighting games in general. But Smash is different from any fighter that I've played, and it's awesome.

Sorry if people don't agree with me.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Have you seen Sonic? Sonic went downhill when they attempted a 3D Sonic.

No, a 3D Smash would be failure. Need more 2D Smash.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
First off, this is not an idea, this is what NEEDS to be done.
Opinion.

Plus, nothing ever needs to be done. Hell, you don't even need to eat or drink.
You'll die, but you don't need to. You're allowed to die.

10 years ago - 1998
Super Smash Brothers was Released for the N64. As we all know, it was primarily a 2-D game [the exception being character Sprites & several projectiles]
In its Wake, we have seen 2 of its predecessers [Melee & Brawl]. Troughout these 10past years, all Original smashers [i am one] Smash has lost its feel for what it truly was supposed to be, a simplatic fighting game where the objective was to beat all Pikachus until they were no longer moving. Now, Sakuri is IMO losing grip of what it truly means to be a smasher, bringing in 3rd party characters [who truly have no place in the smash Series, and ruining the message of the game] and making the game far too advanced [also besides popular belief: to fast, far too detailed, and too hardcore].
A few of my friends and I [all 64smashers] come to the same conclusion.. the series must GO BACK TO STEP ONE TO STAY ALIVE & FRESH.
Now, the only way to accomplish this without hindering the game would be to make it a simple 3D fighter [with a roster that represents what this proud series once was].
I realy dont care how many of u manage to shrug this off, because it will only be a matter of time until this series is a Madden/MarioParty type series [if it stays on a 2D level]
Hahaha! That's a good one, Brawl too hardcore...
It was dumbed down from Melee, to be more of a party game. Sakurai himself has basically said this.

Also, too hardcore? Do you honestly want Smash to become casual? You've got to be the first person I've ever met that WANTS the franchises to become more casual. How can you say that? You're just as bad as Sakurai, you want to kill the competitive community. That's why I got so ticked off at him.

AND, how can you honestly want one of the last popular franchises that's still all 2D to go 3D? 2D games are AMAZING, they've died down because everyone has to advance and move on. You say you want it to go back to step one, but you're changing a HUGE part of the game, and going to anything but classic. You're like Sega, saying they're bringing Sonic back to his roots with Werehog and swords.

Sheesh, you're (new) Sega AND (new) Sakurai in one. How the hell did you pull that off?

AND, how are Madden and Mario Party even remotely similar?

Finally, changing Smash to 3D would, as others have said, just make it like every other fighting game, conforming. Conforming is overrated and it's for noobs. And I WILL NOT BUY Smash if it goes 3D. I only like one 3D fighting game, and that's Soul Calibur. I enjoy Smash the way it is, so different from other fighting games, and it can't be that way if it's 3D.

You're beyond facepalms.

infernovia

Smash Ace
The thing that confuses me the most about this thread is that it says Brawl is getting too complicated and too competitive.

But he is talking about a game where one person has completely dominated everything.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Now, Sakuri is IMO losing grip of what it truly means to be a smasher, bringing in 3rd party characters
I'm not a big fan of 3rd parties either, but they are guest. Sonic, of all people, barely got in. It's not as big as people blow it out to be.

I would like to see a major shift in the game, but without losing too much. In other words, keep it 2D.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom