• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why we shouldn't care (a blog or something)

Nicole

Smash Champion
Hello Peaches -

Awhile ago, Atomsk told me "you would do better if you just try not to care if you win or lose."

Well, I thought that was ******** advice. How can I play well if I don't care? I will just approach way too much, play too aggressively, do dumb stuff, and SD. So I kept caring.

However, now I see that what he said is true, to an extent. When I am playing someone who I feel I CANNOT lose to (for whatever reason, sometimes it is to place well, other times it is because I would be embarrassed to lose to them, other times it is because they will lord their win over me and act superior and get far too much satisfaction), I am much more likely to play worse. I care more about losing, so I put too much pressure on myself, over-think everything, play far too cautiously, and lose.

Idk if this is a problem for anyone else out there, I just know that we need to place better. We need to show people what Peach can do or she will go down on the tier list and people will continue to call her trash when I (and you) know that she isn't. For a character that requires risk, mixups, focus, and patience, the worst thing you can do for her is to play without a clear head.

Stop caring. Start winning. 2011 is Peach's year.

:peach:

SupaSairentoZ7℠

Smash Hero
I play casually without worrying about losing or winning. I always play to improve and personally don't care if I have to lose constantly to improve. Not like you can winning constantly. I gotten used to thinking during games and not before and after them and learned to adjust my plays based on certain situations. I want to type more on this but I hate typing with cell phones.

culexus・wau

Purchased premium only to change name ><
well.

I think what you're trying to say is that we should treat everyone we play equally.

I myself had this problem because I'd choke vs randoms but do extremely well vs top players.

sorta because I had nothing to lose vs top players but I'd be rebuked for losing to a random lol.

clowsui

Smash Legend
different strokes for different folks - i think of this concept more as "win by having fun, don't have fun by winning"

saying that you want to win limits you to playing in ways that you think are "ways to win"; thus, you don't play as naturally/creatively and you're much more likely to panic when something that you're doing doesn't work.

but if you're concerned more about having fun and "winning" that way, then you're going to be able to react faster, play smarter, observe more things because you're not fixated on any one goal/strategy

Razmakazi

Smash Champion
I haven't cared for a long long while. I just focused on improving even though my placings aren't the ****. My region is fkn haard, it's so stupid. The top 7 in the PR can all legitly get top 5 or maybe even win a national (if M2K didn't go haha). That's my opinion anyway. Basically I can't really expect to place top 5 or 7 or whatever coz there's some world class **** goin' on here so that's why I just try to learn from everyone and improve. It's why I'm so hype oos tourneys and why I have my Pound hype. There's so much to learn in SoCal that I haaaaave to do well or I have to beast the **** outta people. All I can hope to do is learn because the competition is pretty ******** here but that's a pretty cool thing though. Reaaally gay but cool.

edit: ah, another thing...it's also cool to just not care and to just play to learn because eventually learning new **** and getting more and more creative is gonna pay off big time or at least I believe that to be so. I'm just sayin' that once ya get to go oos then it's just you vs a ton of people who aren't wise to anything you do. I feel like the creativity and the knowledge and weird things you've tried to do to get the edge on people in your own region will pay off massively at a national.

culexus・wau

Purchased premium only to change name ><
I agree with raz.

honestly playing to improve is more legit then playing to just win.

because if you focus on improvement instead of winning.. you'll get to the point where you've improved the to the point where you will win.

thats just what I think tho.

NNID
Tofer_Magicant
I know what you're saying.
I recently found this new mindset, and it does work.
It makes me feel better, since I am not putting extra pressure on myself to try and make a name.
Also, I am going to try and stick to Peach this time around.
And not 8 different characters.

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
Nicole is extremely right. I do badly when I worry too much about what people will say if I lose to my opponent.

Peach is a character very rooted in her player's mental state, as well, just because she has so little ability to recover leads. Usmash isn't reliable enough to be able to turn the match around on a good read.

Well, you do not want to completely let go of what is happening. If you do not care about certain things in the match, you will end up on autopilot and likely lose.

So with that, probably keeping your head focus only on the match is probably the larger part of what atomsk was getting at.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Not going to lie though, I start to play better when I get mad. Like...a lot of people lose their composure and autopilot when they're on that "UMAD" status, but my reaction time just spikes. xD

Metatitan

Smash Master
If you stop thinking when you're mad then Nicole's approach is probably right for you.

It doesn't matter if you get mad at all or frustrated. It's IF getting mad or frustrated stops you from thinking about what's going on or if it makes you autopilot. When you autopilot you lose (although because of peach's spacing autopiloting doesn't hurt her as bad as others, though it's still very bad) because you are no longer punishing specifics they're doing and instead throwing out attacks hoping they'll hit.

A lot of peaches autopilot because of her hitboxes lol.

C.S. Dinah

Smash Champion
I've been doing way better when I stopped caring what would happen should I lose,so now I can focus on what my opponent does and punish. It's pretty great!

Top Bottom