• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wifi Courtesy: a WIP how-to

NNID
Budget_Player
So does anyone else meet a lot of *******s on wifi? In my case, it's not even really that they're *******s, it's more that they just keep on doing the same **** thing over and over again, that irks me constantly. So let's make some courtesy rules, eh?

1. Don't sandbag. It doesn't help anyone, and is basically just another lousy excuse. If your opponent is boring to you because he's too bad, either help him get better, or just stop playing with him. Sandbagging and losing makes you look like a johning idiot; disregard that you weren't trying, the result screen says you lost. If someone is being super-predictable, then don't encourage that behavior-punish it. It's irritating as hell to hear this from someone, and only slightly less irritating for him to turn around and then stomp you after you tell him "stop sandbagging".

2. Don't pick your best stage in a matchup game one. Or your second-best. Or your third-best Doesn't matter what that stage is. I am so tired of going into a game and seeing my opponent go FD game one as Falco or Diddy. It's terrible sportsmanship, especially when your opponent would more likely than not strike and ban that stage against you.
2a. Don't pick your best stage in a matchup after winning. Seems like common sense; if you win the least you should do is go for a more or less neutral stage for the matchup
2b. Don't pick your best stage every game. Really, I get so many games where the stage selection is something like this: FD (I win), FD (I win), FD (I lose), FD AGAIN. It's just stupid.
2c. Don't ragequit if your opponent goes to a counterpick stage. Yes, all right, feel free to ragequit if I choose something like Onett or Pirate Ship. But RC? GTFO.

3. No johns... except lag johns.
3a. Lag johns are only valid if the connection is really bad.
3b. In fact, just don't try to wifi transatlantic/transpacific. It's just a bad idea.
3c. REALLY no character johns. Maining a low tier makes you bad, not cool/alternative. If you go ganon against MK, don't john that you only lost because you used ganon-stop using a garbage character. Oh and low tiers generally get better, not worse, in wifi lag (see also: zelda, who becomes a ****ing high tier with enough lag).

4. Please make sure your rules are in order. So many times you get matches without a timer, or matches where smashballs show up...

Anyone got any more?

Rayquaza07

Smash Ace
this will not be enforced to answer this above post and / thread becuase this looks like a wifi sux rant @_@

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
So does anyone else meet a lot of *******s on wifi? In my case, it's not even really that they're *******s, it's more that they just keep on doing the same **** thing over and over again, that irks me constantly. So let's make some courtesy rules, eh?

1. Don't sandbag. It doesn't help anyone, and is basically just another lousy excuse. If your opponent is boring to you because he's too bad, either help him get better, or just stop playing with him. Sandbagging and losing makes you look like a johning idiot; disregard that you weren't trying, the result screen says you lost. If someone is being super-predictable, then don't encourage that behavior-punish it. It's irritating as hell to hear this from someone, and only slightly less irritating for him to turn around and then stomp you after you tell him "stop sandbagging".
Heh. Wifi.
I wouldn't call it sandbagging if you're not playing as if it meant anything, say like friendly matches, rather than a tourney match. If you put forth the same effort in both, good for you. If not, it's not that you should, just don't sandbag in general.

2. Don't pick your best stage in a matchup game one. Or your second-best. Or your third-best Doesn't matter what that stage is. I am so tired of going into a game and seeing my opponent go FD game one as Falco or Diddy. It's terrible sportsmanship, especially when your opponent would more likely than not strike and ban that stage against you.
What if you both main someone who is complete **** on FD? You both agree to the terms, and you get Diddy vs Falco on FD? Then that's fairly legit.
Not talking something like Ganondorf vs Falco on FD, since that MU is complete garbage, not matter where you lose, no johns, you're screwed just about anywhere.
2a. Don't pick your best stage in a matchup after winning. Seems like common sense; if you win the least you should do is go for a more or less neutral stage for the matchup
2b. Don't pick your best stage every game. Really, I get so many games where the stage selection is something like this: FD (I win), FD (I win), FD (I lose), FD AGAIN. It's just stupid.
2c. Don't ragequit if your opponent goes to a counterpick stage. Yes, all right, feel free to ragequit if I choose something like Onett or Pirate Ship. But RC? GTFO.
Looking at the overall 2nd rule: Do you mean we should be picking our worst stages? :l
I just stick to the random selection; CP's and Legals on yes.

3. No johns... except lag johns.
True.
3a. Lag johns are only valid if the connection is really bad.
Yes. This is my connection, lol
3b. In fact, just don't try to wifi transatlantic/transpacific. It's just a bad idea.
3c. REALLY no character johns. Maining a low tier makes you bad, not cool/alternative. If you go ganon against MK, don't john that you only lost because you used ganon-stop using a garbage character. Oh and low tiers generally get better, not worse, in wifi lag (see also: zelda, who becomes a ****ing high tier with enough lag).
Not all low tiers gain an advantage in lag :l
Say you're Ganondorf and you're having a really close game with an Olimar. Sonic's speed can counter wifi, Ganondorf's strength can counter wifi, Zelda's long lasting attacks can counter wifi.
Honest to say, Only on wifi mate, Only on wifi.

4. Please make sure your rules are in order. So many times you get matches without a timer, or matches where smashballs show up...
If they don't get the rules, i don't want to play.
Not trying to be mean, but knowing the correct rules when you engage in a match is key to actually learning the game better.
My response is in Orange. But nice thread, although i'd feel it better in the Brawl Online Discussion.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Good guidelines, and ones I follow myself, but at the end of the day it probably won't do much; either people will be decent or they won't, really just depends on what they're like irl and how much of a competitive douche bag they are ^_^

NNID
Budget_Player
Looking at the overall 2nd rule: Do you mean we should be picking our worst stages? :l
You should pick average stages, or maybe even your worse stages. If you're MK, you shouldn't be picking Delfino or Halberd, you should be picking Lylat, or Battlefield, or Smashville, or FD if you just lost and are feeling courteous. If you're falco, you shouldn't be picking FD or SV, you should be going BF, Lylat, etc.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Unless it's a ranked match, I just put it on random to tell you the truth. I play wifi to practice, not to win, which means I need practice EVERYWHERE, not just my good stages. But then there are people who are prideful and petty :/

Top Bottom