• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii Pro Controller Viable?

MidnightAsaph

Smash Lord
Hey there. Let me give a quick background. I used to play Brawl competitively for about a year or two but dropped out due to money issues and now I have the new Smash and want to play again. Due to the absence of adapters, I've picked up a Wii Pro Controller.

Now, I was a decent player, but not terribly good. Still, I'm having a hard time beating a lvl 9, something I could do with my eyes closed. Granted, I'm using this new controller I'm having trouble adapting to, this is a new game and will be different (buffering at all?), and I've not played smash for years, much less this new game here.

Still, really frustrated. My inputs don't come out right and I'm so used to the GCN controller, I'm having a hard time pressing the right buttons.

If anyone has any suggestions, like for button mapping, or any other ideas, that would help.

Demp

Smash Journeyman
I use A for attack, X for special, cstick is Smash. It took me about a week to get fully use to after using the GC controller for so long. I still prefer the GC controller though. My pro controller feels so buggy. Luke if I do a short hop down special it will sometimes do it in the opposite direction unintentionally.

Ramzy

ROCKMAN
The Pro is very viable and using it was extremely easy after weeks on the 3DS version since the buttom layout is pretty much the same.

I have Jump on X and Grab on Y. I can easily pull off aerials with a groove motion of X to A and it'll always be a short-hop.
Also for the issue of tourneys, the best thing to do is after completing a set or such at a station, press your sync button and let it be. It will no longer interrupt anything, BUT you must not press any of the buttons or it will reconnect, luckily it's as easy to fix as pressing the sync button again and then leaving it alone. This is from actual experience, I had to upset a few people to learn this the hard way. But hey, at least we don't have to wrap and unwrap our controller all day. :awesome:

Last edited:

shapular

Smash Ace
The Pro is very viable and using it was extremely easy after weeks on the 3DS version since the buttom layout is pretty much the same.

I have Jump on X and Grab on Y. I can easily pull off aerials with a groove motion of X to A and it'll always be a short-hop.
Also for the issue of tourneys, the best thing to do is after completing a set or such at a station, press your sync button and let it be. It will no longer interrupt anything, BUT you must not press any of the buttons or it will reconnect, luckily it's as easy to fix as pressing the sync button again and then leaving it alone. This is from actual experience, I had to upset a few people to learn this the hard way. But hey, at least we don't have to wrap and unwrap our controller all day. :awesome:
Have you found any good ways to carry it around without accidentally hitting any buttons? The best thing I can think of is just carrying it back to my setup and putting it in my bag.

Ramzy

ROCKMAN
Have you found any good ways to carry it around without accidentally hitting any buttons? The best thing I can think of is just carrying it back to my setup and putting it in my bag.
Either you set it down somewhere or you just gotta carry it around by either handle. If I put it in my bag it would easily be triggers or even in my hoodie pocket. Also a good thing to do is if you were playing at an active station, once done either go back to your own station or at least a less active one and sync it to that for the time being just in case. You wouldn't want to ruin the stream station.

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
You can use whatever controller you want at home. When going to tournaments, however, expect limitations on wireless peripherals.

Top Bottom