• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Wii U is hackable - Will there be mods again?

Do you want a new Project M-kinda thing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
I love modding, so it'd be awesome if we can mod 4.

...Really, does every thread turn into Melee vs Brawl?

TheNerdyOne_

Smash Ace
I love modding, so it'd be awesome if we can mod 4.

...Really, does every thread turn into Melee vs Brawl?
Seriously. Mods were great for Brawl, and continue to be great. If a character you love isn't in the game officially, chances are someone will mod them in at some point.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I don't particularly care for another Project-M (If I want to play P:M, I'll play the one that already exists. :troll: )

I do, however, completely support another Brawl Minus type thing.
I discovered Ganondorf's minus warlock punch today and I giggled like a schoolgirl.

Superior Spider-Mew

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MiniRagnarok
I can see mods happening to Sm4sh though me personally, I'm going to wait a good few years so that the hacking is easy, better, and the mods arent just a bunch of recolors. I'm sure everyone who has seen the old days of Brawl hacks, long before bone structuring and vertex's we just had stuff like a Samus texture where it had Iron Man colors and face but still had the body of Samus quite lulzy

Silent Hell

Smash Cadet
To the people saying that just because Namco Bandai is working on balancing the game it's going to be balanced I have this to say:
You do realize, believe it or not, that Smash has actually more depth than a regular fighting game? Rather than the point being to reduce the other player's health to zero, you need to knock them off the stage? This means they have way more factors to dote over such as recoveries and edge game. They may have experience with Tekken and Soul Calibur, but they are treading new water here.

Again, if they do end up with a well balanced product, it will be enough to satiate my needs.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
To the people saying that just because Namco Bandai is working on balancing the game it's going to be balanced I have this to say:
You do realize, believe it or not, that Smash has actually more depth than a regular fighting game? Rather than the point being to reduce the other player's health to zero, you need to knock them off the stage? This means they have way more factors to dote over such as recoveries and edge game. They may have experience with Tekken and Soul Calibur, but they are treading new water here.

Again, if they do end up with a well balanced product, it will be enough to satiate my needs.
Who else could Sakurai hire that would do a good job?
(Don't say the PM team, already got a response.)

JabbatheHutt

The Kingpin of the Outer Rim
I really REALLY hop they dont make a project M wii u. Project M is terrible and destroys Brawl. Yes it takes out tripping but it makes it Melee 2.0. GET OVER MELEE... jesus. and it kills Wario.

I just dont see how this site can support it. Its like an illegal bootleg. Sakurai puts too much work into these games for people to disgard his stuff....

Last edited:

BEES

Smash Lord
I think it's great that fans of a game were able to make a sequel to that game with better graphics, using the barebones engine from another game that was totally different and not targeted to them. I'd like for these people to be able to continue making sequels to the game they love, since it's obvious Nintendo never will.

I don't see how that affects how other people play the game. I'm sure the competitive community will give Smash WiiU a chance. When If it fails to be a fun competitive game, they'll set about making mods.

Bear in mind that I'm not married to Melee or anything. I consider Project M a superior game. I think if they're willing to think out of the box a bit more, and add new types of attacks or tactics instead of just duplicating one game's environment closely as possible, then it'd be even better than it is. I think that will be the next stage for Project M, and I'm hopeful that when they get around to tackling the WiiU iteration, they use that philosophy.

Superior Spider-Mew

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MiniRagnarok
I really REALLY hop they dont make a project M wii u. Project M is terrible and destroys Brawl. Yes it takes out tripping but it makes it Melee 2.0. GET OVER MELEE... jesus. and it kills Wario.

I just dont see how this site can support it. Its like an illegal bootleg. Sakurai puts too much work into these games for people to disgard his stuff....
Jabba has spoken!

EnthusedPanda

Smash Journeyman

... but it isn't there to replace Brawl and therefore can't destroy it.

pizzapie7

Smash Ace

How can you get so upset about a mod for a game you don't have to download. Does other people having fun with their purchase make you angry? Not everyone shares your taste, to a lot of people on this site Brawl was a huge let down, and Project M provides them with a more fulfilling experience. It doesn't destroy Brawl, it fine tunes it and adjusts it to make it even better for it's (Project M's) intended audience. It's not disregarding Sakurai's work, it's building on top of it.

Like damn son, get a grip. You've got a serious case of wanting others to not have fun.

EnthusedPanda

Smash Journeyman
How can you get so upset about a mod for a game you don't have to download. Does other people having fun with their purchase make you angry? Not everyone shares your taste, to a lot of people on this site Brawl was a huge let down, and Project M provides them with a more fulfilling experience. It doesn't destroy Brawl, it fine tunes it and adjusts it to make it even better for it's (Project M's) intended audience. It's not disregarding Sakurai's work, it's building on top of it.

Like damn son, get a grip. You've got a serious case of wanting others to not have fun.
It supplements a noted lacking inherent in Brawl, but can certainly coexist with it. If Brawl being 'destroyed' is referring to the fact it's essentially nonexistent competitively nowadays .. there may be a pretty good reason for that fact, and it's very telling.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Since the P:M team will probably keep working on you know, THE EXISTING P:M, I don't think that another project M will be coming around even if the wii U is hackable till like 2018-2020.

It also won't get the kind of support since Smash 4 has already been shown to be a faster and different game from brawl all together thanks to the change in a couple of things. Depending on how the game develops will determine whether or not people will have that passion to develop another project M type thing.

Putting that aside, if the Wii U is hackable, that would be good for texture and music hacks. those are very fun.

However, this is a new system. I don't know much about hacks, but I do know that Nintendo might be able to detect things like this. They could patch their system much more effectively than they did in the past and there won't be an obvious hole in smash 4 to exploit to be able to load a game like project M or hacks in general. (I would hope not!)

Not only would this void your warranty, but if I know nintendo, this might end up getting people perma-banned from playing online. That would stop people pretty much immediately to be honest...

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
Ew, no! Please, Nintendo, take all necessary measures to ensure Smash4 stays Smash4 forever! Make piracy blocks harder to bypass, brick the consoles of hackers, do anything to avoid repeating history!

PD: I LOVE Project M, I just don't think Smash4 needs to be fixed.
How can you be so sure of an unfinished, unreleased game?

This empty statement works both ways.

JabbatheHutt

The Kingpin of the Outer Rim
It doesn't destroy Brawl, it fine tunes it and adjusts it to make it even better for it's (Project M's) intended audience. It's not disregarding Sakurai's work, it's building on top of it.
Then how do you explain taking out the gimmick stages and putting bland ones in their place?

I do like the work they did to the costumes tho.

Id like a project M that doesnt modify the characters themselves or the stages. Just the alt costumes and the tripping omisison.

Last edited:

pizzapie7

Smash Ace
Because it's the fourth installment of the Smash series?
That sure meant a lot for the third installment.

Then how do you explain taking out the gimmick stages and putting bland ones in their place?

Id like a project M that doesnt modify the characters themselves or the stages. Just the alt costumes and the tripping omisison.
You can replace any of the adjusted stages with the pre-existing ones. Some people don't like gimmick stages. Clearly Project M isn't for you, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't exist, nor does it mean that it's destroying Brawl somehow.

Last edited:

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
(first post, hai everyone =^.^=)
Personally, I would love it if Project M, or Project U, could be done with Smash 4. From experiences at best buy I predict the mechanics for the game will be just fine, but judging that there are 35 characters so far I fear that we are nearing the limits as Brawl had 35 characters. What mods, or Project U could do is add characters that didn't make the cut, and make then BALANCED. I mean, c'mon, you can't seriously believe that BrawlEX packs are balanced. Also, SSB4 Wii U stages look a lot less dynamic then the 3DS ones, so we could get better, even "competitive," stages.

Last edited:

HugoBoss

Smash Journeyman

...to make it it's own game, which is what Project M is, not "Better Brawl". It is such a shame how some Brawl players are so sensitive about PM because of insecurities. It MAY have started of as making Brawl more like Melee, but now it's a completely new beast. And honestly if you truly don't like it, don't get it. It is only a MOD by Smash Bros fans like you and I. It CAN'T replace Brawl because it was not meant too. It is not PM's fault that many people were disappointed in Brawl, so don't use PM as a scapegoat for Brawl's "death" or lack of interest .Your probably not even in the intended audience, which should not mean that's it's cool to bash the people that like the game to "get over themselves". I ain't even a Melee purist, and it's somewhat similarities are not even the reason I love PM so much.

Switters

Smash Rookie
If they do make a hack similar to project M. Its not really going to matter to much for me, because I doubt they will make a PAL version.

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
Please do not ruin this new game with ****ty mods including ones like PM(I never said it was bad). I actually am excited for this game.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Please do not ruin this new game with ****ty mods including ones like PM(I never said it was bad). I actually am excited for this game.
Your wording draws very different inferences and should be redone if you don't want people to think you're bashing PM.

Also, you don't have to mod your system if you don't want to anyway. and there will be PLENTY of people who feel the same way as you, or just don't know about the existence of mods in general.

There would be like 1 Project M U player for every 100 smash U players if it were to happen.

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703
The beautiful thing about mods is that you don't have to download them. That's why I don't really understand people saying "I hope this never happens!" If you never want it, then don't download the mods and your Smash 4 won't ever be changed! :D But those of us that love mods because of the potential to add costumes/characters/stages and sharpen the gameplay can have that fun, too.

Have to disagree with that "still fun for casuals" part, to some extent. Not that it's terrible for that purpose, but it's not as good as vanilla Brawl. The stage list in Project M is a repetitive snoozefest for casual play (even going as far as making some really fun Brawl stages, like WarioWare, super boring), and for some strange reason, they don't let you pick up items while dashing, which feels really counter-intuitive for casuals (and keeping the feature would not have effected competitive play - it's literally only removed to make that aspect of the game more like Melee, for the sake of it, rather than being of benefit to anyone).
I think the reason they changed items was because of characters like Diddy being out of control otherwise. They're pretty good about only making well-intentioned changes. In fact, 'because Melee' is usually something the PM team jokes about, when they're justifying not making the game a carbon-copy of Melee.

I do agree with you about the stages, but that's kind of a tradeoff. My casual friends all prefer PM to Brawl because of Roy and Mewtwo, but they don't like the fact that Luigi's Mansion and some of the other crazy levels were replaced.

I think the PM team is trying to get all the old stages back in 4.0, though.

Senario

Smash Ace
So much hate...there is no problem with modding in the PC gaming community. It literally does not hurt the game itself because you usually still need a copy of the game to play the mod. You need to do this with project M too.

Basically -> If smash 4 is decently balanced and can support competitive play then there will be no need for mods. If smash 4 is essentially like brawl then well...you can't honestly blame people for wanting to change or mod something they enjoy so that they can be included in playing the game. You probably won't even run into these people or ever play with them.

MudkipUniverse

Smash Ace
NNID
VolcanicAsh
Ew, no! Please, Nintendo, take all necessary measures to ensure Smash4 stays Smash4 forever! Make piracy blocks harder to bypass, brick the consoles of hackers, do anything to avoid repeating history!

PD: I LOVE Project M, I just don't think Smash4 needs to be fixed.
This is the kind of outburst we got for when MrBean hacked Mario Kart 8. MrBean does NOT promote cheating of any kind.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
So much hate...there is no problem with modding in the PC gaming community. It literally does not hurt the game itself because you usually still need a copy of the game to play the mod. You need to do this with project M too.

Basically -> If smash 4 is decently balanced and can support competitive play then there will be no need for mods. If smash 4 is essentially like brawl then well...you can't honestly blame people for wanting to change or mod something they enjoy so that they can be included in playing the game. You probably won't even run into these people or ever play with them.
Brawl wasn't hacked because it was unbalanced. If that were the case, we'd have a million balance mods for Melee.

MudkipUniverse

Smash Ace
NNID
VolcanicAsh
Have to disagree with that "still fun for casuals" part, to some extent. Not that it's terrible for that purpose, but it's not as good as vanilla Brawl. The stage list in Project M is a repetitive snoozefest for casual play (even going as far as making some really fun Brawl stages, like WarioWare, super boring), and for some strange reason, they don't let you pick up items while dashing, which feels really counter-intuitive for casuals (and keeping the feature would not have effected competitive play - it's literally only removed to make that aspect of the game more like Melee, for the sake of it, rather than being of benefit to anyone).

And while Turbo Mode is awesome, it comes across as more of a "fun for advanced players who want something crazier" kind of thing, rather than being fun for casuals, since you need to be very good at the game to really see the effect of Turbo Mode.

And in it's current state, PM removes some rather fun single-player modes like SSE, that also have co-op play.
But the most popular mode in the game, for both casual and competitive players, is the Versus mode. And I think that actually, casual play does not effect how the stages play. The OLD WarioWare was a Snoozefest, IMO.

Wander

Smash Journeyman
I certainly wouldn't mind mods for SSB4. Making custom textures and PSAs was how I got into Brawl modding in the first place, and I'd love to be able to do it again for the new game. Hopefully the game's physics will be competitively viable enough to not need a complete overhaul, but I'd be happy with minor tweaks that fix things like landing lag and hitstun (if those do remain an issue in the final product).

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
As blunt of me it is to say it, thinking about a Project M for this game makes me sick to my stomach. I understand it may have been necessary for Brawl, as that game was painfully slow, but this game seems a lot faster, and rather than meleeiifying it (or just manipulating the engine), it'd be more respectful to just leave it as it is and master the game in that form. Plus, if this game gets modded, that means we will probably not see Smash Bros for Wii U at tournaments.

Last edited:

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
But the most popular mode in the game, for both casual and competitive players, is the Versus mode. And I think that actually, casual play does not effect how the stages play. The OLD WarioWare was a Snoozefest, IMO.
The old WarioWare was great and creative, and tons of fun...

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675
I would rather not see a new PM-type mod for Smash 4. Mods for costumes and possibly characters? Yeah I think I could enjoy that.
I'm just not with changing the base game to make it something "better" than the original. If Smash 4 turns out to be like Brawl (which I don't think will happen) then I'm pretty sure a PM-mod will be released a couple years later. I would just hope it doesn't rise to outshine the game it's made from.

QuickRat

Smash Journeyman

But characters in Brawl are pretty unbalanced. Matchups in Project M can be better or worse, but they are rarely absolute. In Brawl, they are. Ness is unable to win against Marth because he has infinite chaingrab over him. A Marth player just has to press Z and he wins. That's Brawl. What Project M did is correct this. And random tripping. And lack of advanced techniques. Etc. The only problem I see is there are some gameplay elements put in there just because they where in Melee. Such as recloning Falco. But in general, and I'm far of being a Melee fanboy, Project M is a correction of Brawl.

So, if Sakurai worked so hard to offer a game with unbalanced roster, lack of combos, slow gameplay and a pretty boring 1P mode, he should change his mind. Oh, what have I just said? He actually did! Smash 4 is going to have balanced roster, combos, mid-fast gameplay and there won't be a story mode. So, two options: Sakurai is currently mad... or Project M corrected Brawl.

We can discuss about some elements Project M has, such as recloning Falco or puting some stages that are always banned. But I think we cannot say it "destroyed what Sakurai did". In fact, you can see Brawl competitive scene is almost dead because Project M exists. That gives you a clue of how this game improved Brawl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom