• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii U LAN Adapter

Poxnixles

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vitiel
3DS FC
3823-8576-9592
How recommended is getting something like this? What would be a good one to grab?

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
Any 13~ dollar one on amazon. Read reviews to see if people say it works with wii, the popular oft-bought ones do.

Yes, they are super important.

Keytrun

Smash Cadet
NNID
Keytrun
3DS FC
1908-0553-7302
They make a major difference online. No lag when playing with someone within / close to your state.

Poxnixles

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vitiel
3DS FC
3823-8576-9592
Any 13~ dollar one on amazon. Read reviews to see if people say it works with wii, the popular oft-bought ones do.

Yes, they are super important.
So just look for whatever USB LAN adapters? Not ones explicitly listed for Wii use?

Shack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShackShack
3DS FC
1392-5021-7831

option.iv

Smash Cadet
The Wii LAN adapter does make a difference. You can never depend on wireless, especially a random stranger's wireless. Go ahead and do a ping test on your computer to compare wireless vs wired, you'll notice the wired connection is so much more solid than wireless connections.

But keep in mind, doesn't fix a crappy connection, which goes for both you and the opponent.

Last edited:

Zink Imp

Smash Ace
The official ones seem hella expensive, though.
You don't need a special Nintendo one. Any USB to Ethernet jack will do.
As for if its recommended, wired connection is ALWAYS better to wireless. That being said, I have played Wii U Smash both without the lan adapter and with it and have had very stable connections. Of course, that's because my WiFi connection is excellent. If you share WiFi (like you live in an building that shares the WiFi with everyone, then you should get the adapter)

Just in case it needs to be mentioned: the lan adapter doesn't mean lag free gameplay. That will still depend on the server and your opponent(s). Atleast your end of the connection will be stable.

Last edited:

Shack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShackShack
3DS FC
1392-5021-7831

Kwam$tack$

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KwamStackS
on a scale of 1 to 10, how big of a difference did it make going from wifi to an adapter

dguy6789

Smash Lord
on a scale of 1 to 10, how big of a difference did it make going from wifi to an adapter
It varies because the other person's connection can still be poor and the game will be laggy. But if you have a wired adapter and you play vs someone in your region with a wired adapter it is massively improved compared to wifi.

option.iv

Smash Cadet
It's honestly hard to gauge. There are too many factors to consider, both yours and the other person. But not using wireless gets rid of any interference factors (usually anything with the 2.4GHz freq.) This includes wireless phones, wireless TV, etc. I had a friend who's internet connection would drop everytime his wireless phone received a call.

Like I said, perform a ping test (in cmd prompt type "ping [insert router IP here] -t) and compare between a wireless connection and a wired one. You'll most likely notice a difference in the ping times.

And once more, it's not going to magically make **** internet not **** anymore. The actual bandwidth does not change. But by switching to wired, you can not worry about wireless interference on your end. Though the same can't be said for the other end.

Last edited:

Zarxrax

Smash Apprentice
How about someone do some actual ping tests instead of just guessing that it helps a lot?

Kyle B

Smash Cadet
It definitely helps league of legends ping with wireless is like 100-240 (usually about halfway when stable), wired is about 70-89.
Of course that was my last modem thing.....this one just hates wireless and refuses to make a good signal, and i'm sitting next to it.....

Dantarion

Smash Champion
Ping test between wireless router and my comp through 3 walls is still under 5ms, while the ping time between my router and pretty much anything varies between 20-100+ across the country. Unless you have poor wireless conditions in your home I don't think it makes that much of a difference

Grackin

Smash Rookie
Ping test between wireless router and my comp through 3 walls is still under 5ms, while the ping time between my router and pretty much anything varies between 20-100+ across the country. Unless you have poor wireless conditions in your home I don't think it makes that much of a difference
There are other factors that can cause a wireless connection to be less than stellar - namely interference from the likely 20+ devices within the range of your router/wii u. Just because you have a 5ms ping doesn't mean that there isn't any packet loss or high jitter.

Last edited:

Teh Sandwich

Smash Apprentice
Before I got mine, every match was almost unplayable. Now it's the opposite. Pretty much every match, even in for glory, is almost flawless.

Cuffs_300

Smash Rookie
NNID
cuffs5
3DS FC
2337-5487-3128
I have the apple USB 3 to Ethernet and it does not work with it :/

Top Bottom