• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii Update 3.3U: CAUTION UPDATING!

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
I wanted to make a new thread for this so everyone notices. This is mostly targeted to all of the fans out there of the Ocarina codes, and more. There was a new Wii Firmware Update released in the past day or 2 which updates your system to version 3.3U. People are still examining the new firmware, but as of now it seems to make it impossible to install the homebrew channel, or any other unsigned code.

If you already have the Homebrew Channel, you SHOULD be ok (no promises), but if you don't have it yet, and you updated your Wii, you're out of luck for now. This update pretty much blocks the installation of new WADs, so you also won't be able to install/manage them through the HBC anymore. This also blocks the use of all custom IOS (even if they are already installed), for those of you that have them and use them.

You will unfortunately be able to access the Wii Shop Channel until you make this update however. People are trying to find a way around this new firmware update.

And a reminder for why you may want the Homebrew Channel:
You can install the Ocarina application to apply various codes to SSBB like:
Various "Brawl+" codes
No tripping
Save replays over 3 minutes
and more crazy codes like have more than one smashball be spawned at a time, or transform items (Snake's grenades can become Smashballs! Broken character, am I right?)

Frames

DI
uh this is cool and all but the new update is 3.4, not 3.3

not a big deal, just some people might be like "argh i have 3.3 now i can't install ocarina yada yada" when really they still can

Makkun

Smash Journeyman
uh this is cool and all but the new update is 3.4, not 3.3

not a big deal, just some people might be like "argh i have 3.3 now i can't install ocarina yada yada" when really they still can
It's not 3.4, and it's not 3.3 either. 3.3 was released on June 16th, it's more like 3.3.1.

Frames

DI
well they call it 3.4 on tehskeen which is where i read about the update

but if you already updated and it doesn't say anything different then ur right

the name isn't important really i just don't want people to read this and get confused/discouraged

AAP

Smash Journeyman
so does this mean i should install Home Brew Channel before i update, or does it mean the update disables Home Brew Channel?

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
I haven't had any issues with the HBC as of yet, after updating. But then, the only things I run on it are mPlayer and a few emulators, so to be safe go digging through the tehskeen or WiiBrew forums before you update, assuming you're a heavy Homebrewer.

Also, Chibo, I think what you meant to say was:

ChiboSempai said:
You will unfortunately be unable to access the Wii Shop Channel until you make this update however

Roihu

Smash Ace
I haven't had any issues with the HBC as of yet, after updating. But then, the only things I run on it are mPlayer and a few emulators, so to be safe go digging through the tehskeen or WiiBrew forums before you update, assuming you're a heavy Homebrewer.

Also, Chibo, I think what you meant to say was:
Srsly?
I don't have an SD card and I wanted to download some cool games once I had my Wii back...

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Can't say I didn't hope for this to happen see this happening. Pirating is illegal!
It's not pirating, though. Emulators and ROMs are only illegal if you don't and never have owned a physical copy of the game/actually paid money for the game.

And everything else (Ocarina, mPlayer, etc.) are just shareware apps. Nothing illegal about that.

M-WUZ-H3R3 said:
So what apps CAN be loaded allong with ocarina after the update?
NeoGAF has a thread open detailing all known changes, but from what I can gather, if you already have the HBC installed, everything will run fine and dandy.

But if you don't and have already updated, for the moment it's impossible to install the HBC at all.

Frames

DI
its not 3.4, its not 3.3, its not 3.3.1 lol
as i said:
it's 3.3U
u do realize the "U" means the region and that every update has the U after it (3.3U 3.2U etc etc)

on pal consoles updates have an "E"
(3.3E 3.2E)

so if you mean 3.3U update that was released like in september

but if you mean the update that was 3 days ago i guess it's just 3.3.1 lol but 3.4 seems easier to me

again, not tryin to start anything, just don't want people to get confused

Someone7

Smash Apprentice
You can't pirate Wii games with the Homebrew Channel. You can pirate VC stuff, which is mostly all garbage anyway. The only thing I pirated VC was SSB64 injected into the Sin & Punishmet VC (you can't get this off the stupid Wii Shop Channel anyway), and the Internet Browser (which was free for a long time). Since I own SSB64 and since the browser should be free anyway, I didn't care.

Most of the VC games worth having can be run on the Wii emulator programs. Then you can do stuff like save-state, making it actually more useful to play them that way.

Someone7

Smash Apprentice
I don't understand your reply.

Anyway, I haven't updated my Wii since the last update that tried to erase Twilight Hack save files. I don't see any benefit at all in updating, so I think I can still use trucha-signed disks (haven't tried it though).

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I installed the update and now my Wii doesn't turn on.

I hate Nintendo.

Roihu

Smash Ace
I don't understand your reply.

Anyway, I haven't updated my Wii since the last update that tried to erase Twilight Hack save files. I don't see any benefit at all in updating, so I think I can still use trucha-signed disks (haven't tried it though).
I'm thinking Mendez is implying that if you press the Home button, you'll see a savestate option.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
What Roihu said. In every game besides (most) N64 ones, at any time you can return to the Wii Menu, right? The neat thing is that (non-N64) VC games have a built in instant-save feature, so the next time you boot up that game, you'll start off at that same place, even if it's a milisecond away from Mario falling into a pit and losing his final life (I love doing that to my little brother).

I apologize for the roundabout way of saying that though. I was feeling snappy.

Frames

DI
also there is a backup loader for homebrew so you CAN pirate wii games, just download them, burn it to a disc then run the loader and it works (well sort of, not all games work right, most do though :))

:monkey:

edit: blargh you beat me too it someone7 lol

Someone7

Smash Apprentice
I'm glad I bought a Wii instead of a Xbox360 now, which has too much security. The hackers defeated the last update in a matter of hours, and it doesn't seem like Nintendo is very interested anyway in stopping this.

Hopefully they fix the bugs that cause slow loading times, which apparently causes the games to crash.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
u do realize the "U" means the region and that every update has the U after it (3.3U 3.2U etc etc)

on pal consoles updates have an "E"
(3.3E 3.2E)

so if you mean 3.3U update that was released like in september

but if you mean the update that was 3 days ago i guess it's just 3.3.1 lol but 3.4 seems easier to me

again, not tryin to start anything, just don't want people to get confused
lol wow, i completely forgot about that. however there have been firmware versions with and without letters on the end in the past for some reason, but yea ur right.

plz dont discuss piracy in here, i dont want this to be closed.

if u already updated and had the hbc, ur fine except that you probably wont be able to install anymore wads from now on (something im a fan of)

Revven

FrankerZ
So. If I want to start hacking, don't update?
Yus, don't update, because otherwise the current Twilight Hack will not work. Either update and wait until a new version comes out bypassing this update or install the HBC now and THEN update (if you don't care about installing channels onto your Wii).

Alopex

Smash Ace
No seriously, I updated my Wii on Tuesday and performed the Twilight Hack that same day, right after I updated it.
It says I'm using 3.3U.

The Twilight Hack worked, I installed the Homebrew Channel, then I got the Homebrew Browse, Ocarina, and GeckoOS. I loaded Brawl codes onto my SD card, loaded them with the GeckoOS, and everything worked.

So I'm confused, because everything is working just fine for me and I updated on Tuesday. Did the update you're talking about come out after Tuesday? Because if so, then that's an update I don't have. Which would all then make sense.

But you're saying this update came out 3 days ago, which would mean Tuesday. And mine is 3.3U updated on Tuesday. And everything works. So what's happening?

Frames

DI
was ur system 3.3 before? this is a seperate update so if you were at 3.2 it may have updated to 3.3 but not the new 3.3 that fixed the signing bug

edit- if you really have the newest version you should be able to get to the wii shop channel, if you can't then you have the original 3.3 not the updated one

Alopex

Smash Ace
Ok, just tested it, Wii Shop Channel says it needs an update. So that means I do not have the newest update. Which explains why everything works.

Still, it says I have 3.3U, so that first post confused me. The new update is still called 3.3U, then?

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
I'm still on 3.2. It's not like the updates ever add anything important.
But eventually you'll have to, if you buy 1st party games as they come out. Ninty (and Sony, and MS) have a habit of packaging in updates with their own software, so that everyone can be up to date, even if they lack a connection to the internet.

comboking

Smash Master
just save the channels to ur SD card take it out delete Ur non-Nintendo banners do the update than copy them back in to ur wii. Nintendo said this would be the last update

doing what i just said might delete save files for they wad or SSB64 and such

Jumpi 95

Smash Cadet
-_- so wait.. I didnt have to turn my Wii24 off for homebrew? That just sucks if i didnt have to turn it off...
Onestly i instaled this with 3.3U(old one) like 5 times so i could send hacked stages over to friends(wich dont PLAY ANYMORE!....) Can someone reply fast? Its 2AM here and im tired.

Top Bottom