• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii/Wii U

S

smash brawl player 99021

Wasn't the Wii $250 when it came out? I'd say ~350 at the most. Nintendo is usually pretty good with pricing though...

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
I hope it targets a hardcore audience over "Wii sports" More MH Tri and SMG2/Zelda esque games...

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
With the 3DS costing $250 at launch, I'm expecting Wii2 to cost around $400.
I dunno, cause they said that it's going to be more powerful than the 360 and PS3 so it would be wise to price it between the current prices.

$350 max in my opinion.

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
I wonder what Iwata means when he says, "We would like to propose a new approach to home video game consoles." Could this be referring to some new controller innovation? Or maybe something about the actual console itself?

Ah, I love speculating.

Grandeza

Smash Master
I don't feel compelled at all to get this. May change but who knows. I'm broke anyways. I probably won't be able to afford it even if I wanted to. Looking forward to more info.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
That just confirms that there is a console. There was never any doubt that there was a new console. Did anyone actually think there WOULDN'T be a successor to the highest selling console ever?

don't get me wrong, it's fun to speculate on rumors but it's good to not get your hopes up with most of these "leaked details"

Sariku

Smash Master
Took long enough, Nintendo. ^_^ I'm sure everyone here has seen the many leaks and fake images of the thing.

I don't like the controller. It's going to be expensive. >_>

M@v

Subarashii!
The screens would be really good for a pokemon game.

I'll get this console if I feel nintendo really is going back to the gaming audience.

Right now my money's focused on getting a new high-end PC.

D

Deleted member

Hopefully it accepts GameCube controllers. It'll be tough learning a new way to Smash after a decade.

finalark

SNORLAX
I'm just hoping that Project Cafe ends up being closer to the GameCube rather than the Wii.

I'll give it a year or two before I buy one, wait for enough worthwhile games to come out on it, as usual.

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
Tbh, a touch screen controller sounds counter productive. I don't want to look down at my controller to make sure I don't touch something I don't want to.

My money is on a more GCN like controller. Ideally anyway.

finalark

SNORLAX
I'm really disliking the idea of a touch screen in the controller. Having two screens that aren't anywhere near each other to worry about sounds like a recipe for disaster. You could argue that the Dreamcast had a screen in the controller (via VMUs) but with the Dreamcast controller it was never used for anything vital and you rarely had to look at it.

I'm hoping that we get a controller similar to the GC controller or classic controller. I'm guessing that the console will be compatible with Wiimotes to make it backwards compatible with the Wii. I just hope that Nintendo switches back to traditional controls with this one.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I'm pretty sure Nintendo is aware of that. It might be one of those things where occasionally in games, you have to look at your touch screen to input some commands or solve puzzles. Though if you ask me, I could care less about that.

finalark

SNORLAX
Controller screens would be awesome for local multiplayer games.
I could see it kind of being like how Nintendo tried to get everyone to hook their GBAs up to their GCs for certain multiplayer games.

Actually, while we're on the topic of multiplayer it would be nice to see Nintendo fully embrace online play rather than dance around the subject like they did with the Wii.

Hot_ArmS

Smash Hero
not getting it till one of these is announced

- zelda, a real one for it, not a port of skyward sword
- METAL GEAR
- SMASHHHHHHHHHHH, I hope it being HD (my guess is that it is) doesn't bring input lag for a future smash game =(

my guess is that those won't come out anytime soon after launch, which would hopefuly make the price lower by the time Id want to get one

*and I HOPE THEY HAVE A GOOD ONLINE EXPERIENCE THIS TIME

UberMario

Smash Master
Some photographs which are suggested to be showing the new system:

This is supposedly a leaked sheet showing the controllers and system, but of course, take it with a grain of salt. The controllers definitely seem more gamecube-like than I expected, and that 2nd photo makes it hard to dismiss.

According to the description on the sheet, one of the capabilities it has with those controllers is the use of the screens to stream the games from the system, like a set of miniature tvs. I wonder how that will work with the older Wii and Gamecube games . . . . I know that it shows Mario Kart Wii in those pictures, but still.

finalark

SNORLAX
I'm having a hard time believing the claim that it has some sort of compatibility with 360 data, or whatever the hell "Easy portability from PC, Xbox 360" is supposed to mean.

Plus those controllers look like what someone could come up with if you asked them what a combination between a 360 controller and a PSP would look like.

UberMario

Smash Master
I'm having a hard time believing the claim that it has some sort of compatibility with 360 data, or whatever the hell "Easy portability from PC, Xbox 360" is supposed to mean.
I'm pretty sure that they mean that the requirements to get a program running in the system are less restricted, so porting an engine used for PS3/X360 games would be much easier. The Xbox 360 was probably mentioned over the PS3 since it's easiest system to develop for, excluding the PC, of course.

It's not like it will read Xbox 360 discs, it's basically claiming that it will be viable for cross-platforming game companies without them needing to reduce the quality ala the Wii ports.

that.....looks tiny lol Id have a hard time believing it can be more powerful than the ps3
The specs for the PS3 and Xbox 360 aren't that great, besides, they're running on the same technology for 6 years, it'd be insulting if Nintendo couldn't top that.

D

Deleted member

Those controllers being used to play Virtual Console games sounds like a good idea. The only thing I have a problem with is price, the thing just looks expensive.

Sariku

Smash Master
I find it very easy to discredit that design after the second image because it's a simple photoshop. The Nintendo logo is blurry, too. Or maybe the console isn't a photoshop, but it has no interesting features on it and could easily have been made by anyone with enough time and talent.

And I refuse to believe that that will be our console because, let's face it, it looks hideous. And if that slit is where the discs are put, I refuse to acknowledge this thing exists. It's design is overall atrocious.

I'll buy it no matter what. But that just gives me more of a reason for me to complain about it aesthetically. Those controllers are ugly too.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/04/26/us-nintendo-idUSTRE73O0RY20110426

TOKYO (Reuters) - Nintendo said on Tuesday that alliances with other companies may be necessary, a day after the game maker reported its second straight fall in annual profit and said it would launch a successor to its aging Wii console.

"I now regret that we didn't tie up with someone outside the company to market the Wii. If we had done that, the fate of the Wii might have been different," Chief Executive Satoru Iwata said at a conference for investors and analysts.

"Now I am aware that we should not rely too much on ourselves. You will see what I mean by this when we market the 3DS and the Wii in the future."
*inb4howIrantthat3rdpartiesstillwon'tmakegamesbecauseNintendofanswon'tbuythirdpartygames*

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
Launch titles for the new system should be those that have been suspiciously absent from the Wii line-up. Here are a few I’d like to see as launch titles which would convince me to buy the system:

F-Zero: Imagine how incredible this game would look in HD! Many people want a sequel to F-Zero GX developed by the same team but I’d rather EAD develop it and return to the aggressive driving theme of F-Zero X.

Star Fox: No doubt Nintendo’s new console will place a greater emphasis on on-line play. I can think of no other better on-line experience than space battles in an Arwing with Fox and friends.

Wave Race: The N64 iteration blew people away with its incredible water physics. Wii 2 could do likewise and add hi-def graphics for total immersion.

Last but not least, a new Super Smash Bros. game with downloadable content and on-line leader boards with occasional Nintendo sponsored on-line tournaments would ensure that the Wii 2/ Project Café/ Stream is a day one purchase for any serious gamer.

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
I think they need to focus their brand games (Zelda, Mario, Starfox, Smash etc.) around actual decent game play rather that around the gimmick like they did with he Wii.

I think if the controller has a screen in it by default it will hurt Nintendo more than anything.

1) Because the thing will be huge
2) It will make it rather expensive I imagine

I think normal gamecube style controller would be fine, then have an optional controller with screen that you can buy separate or in like a bundle deal.

I do think the idea of streaming games from your console to the controller is a kick *** idea.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
I can't see any reason to waste my money on a new games console when its predecessor has yet to do anything worthwhile. If I were going to buy another console, it'd be the 3DS. Atleast that has decent N64 game remakes.

I am not amused by this turn of events one bit.

Johnny_C13

Smash Cadet
I want something new from Nintendo. I don't want a new StarFox, or F-Zero, or Mario or Zelda or Kirby... I want something new (Well, aside from Smash Bros :).

But seriously, I'm really considering skipping the big N's next gen console, unless they offer what I want.

finalark

SNORLAX
I can't see any reason to waste my money on a new games console when its predecessor has yet to do anything worthwhile. If I were going to buy another console, it'd be the 3DS. Atleast that has decent N64 game remakes.

I am not amused by this turn of events one bit.
If you weren't impressed with this generation then why shouldn't you be looking forward to the next one?

As far as I'm concerned, I'm pretty excited to see what Nintendo has planned. Sure, the Wii may have been pretty lackluster but hopefully they will have learned from their past mistakes and will bring us a much better console.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
The casual market is way oversaturated. I imagine Nintendo is trying to stick ahead of the curve like normal. I think this means there is going to be a definite grasping for 3rd party support and targeting the hardcore gamer market again. They will most likely keep making Wii games for a long time as most of the casuals probably aren't going to want to buy another Nintendo thing to play Wii Sports on so that way Nintendo can appeal to all demographics.

Top Bottom