• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii/Wii U

Creature_85

Smash Lord
It's amazing how stupid alot of you are being. Has history taught you nothing? With EVERY SINGLE ONE of Nintendo's consoles they have released something out of the ordinary, expecially in the controller departments, that have made ******** skeptics laugh and critisize. And yet, Nintendo continues to deliver. Even from the NES, people thought the controller design was dumb, and yet 80% of systems since have copied the design. N64's controller was unorthodox, and yet it was amazing.

Think before you talk, and try before you make a fool out of yourself. New is not bad, it's people like yourselves who won't let change happen that's the real shame.

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
First impression: DUDE, it's a friggin REMOTE.

Second impression: I'm impressed, but I gotta wonder if I'll get used to it, or how games like Super Smash Bros Revolution will be played. On a lighter note it looks rather sleek. I'm worried stupid gamers will ignore it and go back to playing generic shooter 563.

Third impression, AKA fanboy/idiot ideas: METROID PRIME/HALO CROSSOVER FOR TEH WIN

CHANNEL SURFING GAME, CHANNEL SURFING GAME!

PhillCollins

Smash Journeyman
It'll work good for shooters and adventure games. Adventure games aren't that popular though. So basically one good metroid game.

I dunno, I worked in an arcade that had a simlar type of control for a sword fighting game. It was pretty crappy as wild slashing worked best. I'm gonna give this a D- for action games, D- for fighting games, a C for RPGs, B+ for strategy (look at my micro kyle!), A+ for adventure, A+ for FPS, A+ for duck hunt, and the pleathora of other strange nintendo games that they usually have will be built around the remote and will most likely be fine.

Basically since I was looking foreward to SSB3, and I'll get a game with the same title but completely different game play, I haven't played much of any action games on the cube. I'll actually look foreward to having more other types of Nintendo games, too bad nintendo doesn't seem too keen on adventure, strategy, and FPS.

Omnigamer

All the things
BRoomer
I'm sure that once the initial shock of the design wears off, people will warm up to it and actually start to read about it...

Besides, the outward design only lasts for the first impression. The functionality lasts for the lifetime of the system.

EvilEvincar

Smash Journeyman
First, I might as well see what I predicted:
1) The controller won't be seen. It's features may be ambigously discussed, but it won't be shown. I hope this isn't true, but I see the odds against that hope

2) The final form of the Revolution console will be shown, as well as it's final name

3) Nintendo will give out more details on their download service, now including at least Genesis games into the mix, if not one or two more Sega systems

4) The online service will be revealed in full, although focused on the DS's online capabilities

5) The phrase "kicking *** and taking names" won't be used at all
Number 1: negative (thank you), number 2: nope, number 3: suprisingly, no, 4: only a mention on when it will be fully revealed, 5: yes, thank you back-up.

As for the controller, this was actually something that I thought of. The part of it being a stick, no. But it came to me when the rumor of the split controller was being thrown about. That and the Pikmin comment.
There are only two things I worry about the controller as it is. First, whether it will function like the Wavebird (as in can I play through walls). The second is just how well the tilt function works, since it is more narrow and I only imagine the black end going toward the tv. The only thing I can see it being used that way is for GTA (you can probably guess how). I also hope that the joystick attachment is standard.
But yes, this is definatly a great device. FPS, RTS would improve greatly. If there is one game I would like to see used with this, it would be a new Jedi Knight game. Here's hoping that Lucasarts is thinking the same thing.
As for SSB, I see it being used to punch each others's guts, just virtually.

Sho-Ryu-Ken

Smash Rookie
I wonder if Gamecube controllers could be used for Revolution titles such as the new smash that's coming out.

Not that I don't have faith in the controller.... just I don't know how great it would be for a fighting game. There's only 4 buttons of access (z1 and z2 for your left hand, a and b for your right), even though that's 4 different buttons for 3 fingers, I don't think it can allow for the crazy button comboes a gamecube controller can supply.

Other than the fighting game compatability, the controller looks amazing, a whole new genre(s) of games can be made.

cowwa-f'n-bunga

Smash Apprentice
i do think it'll be amazing for fps, but i think that they won't be getting many third party games, or ports from the other systems- with such a radical new input device, though, i gues that was to be expected.

now that i think about it I am definately getting a... 'next nintendo console.'

Nexis

Smash Apprentice
Man. Come to think of it.. it seems like you're gana be using more muscles then just ur thumbs. Noooo.. im too lazy. But man..

Kokichi

Skia Oura
BRoomer
People keep saying "Oh this'll be great for RTS games!" Yeah, since when did RTS games on consoles become popular? You might be able to select your units easier and point where to move them, but let's face it; a keyboard is far superior for RTS than this. You have HOTKEYS on a keyboard. Press H and you're sent to your HQ. No need to scroll all the way across the map to find them. Press CNTRL+1 and the group you designated as Group One will be selected. I fail to see how this will "revolutionize RTS games." Maybe make them a bit more popular on consoles, but they'll still be best on a PC, hands down.

Also, Nexis is right; you'll be using more muscles to control this thing. Moving your arm and wrist takes much more energy than just moving your fingers. Thus the amount of time you can play in one sitting will decrease. I'd say from a pure concept-on-paper point of view SSB3 all-nighters seem out of the question...

F₧T2

Banned via Administration
at first i was thinking, there goes their 3rd party support, but i just came across this

"Nintendo has long been a trailblazer, and this controller design reinforces that reputation," said Brian Farrell, president and CEO of THQ. "We enthusiastically support Nintendo's next console because we believe their approach of continual innovation is very much in line with our own strategy of creating unique and innovative games for the next generation of hardware."

"What we're seeing from this controller is the same thing we saw with Nintendo DS," said Chuck Huebner, Head of Worldwide Studios, Activision.. "It's a system that's designed with an eye on enticing new players to the video game industry, and that's something we firmly support."

"Game control is essential - it's the area where perhaps the most game-play improvement can be made," said John Schappert, Sr. Vice President and General Manager of Electronic Arts Canada. "While our portfolio represents a full array of titles across all genres, I think our sports titles might be the first to immediately take advantage of what this novel 'freehand' type of control has to offer."

"We were among the first publishers to see the control design in action," said Serge Hascoet, Chief Creative Officer of Ubisoft. "We're excited about the new controller and are looking forward to taking advantage of its innovative aspects."
-ign

it appears that they have at least gotten developers interested.

Blazey

Magical Love Gentleman
BRoomer
Does anything say anything about those little lights down the bottom with 1 2 3 4 written next to them? If I had to take a guess, maybe it's like different controller functions that can let the controller be used in different ways. I probably could have worded that better, but whatever.

Sho-Ryu-Ken

Smash Rookie
1 2 3 4 show which player you are while playing...

Player 1 would have the 1 light on, and so on.

Craftstar

Prank Monkey
BRoomer
That German site showing the controller in action is exactly what I thought it would be like. The system looks like it will be positivly fun to use. Not to say PS3 and (to a lesser degree imo) Xbox 360 won't have their place (I still want a PS3), just the Nintendo will be probably worth getting too (depending on software support).

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Hah! Just realised, that say, with racing games, notice how you'll sometimes lean over despite it having no effect? Looks like it will now!

Bedi Vegeta

Smash Master
I must say that at first glance I was thinking like everybody else, "WTF a remote!"...but after reading the gamespot article, it doesn't look so bad...you seem to be able to use it similarly to the gamecube controller with the analogue stick attachment (I'll bet they'll be selling that separately, the *******s...wait, no, it's included)...although minus a few buttons....

...AND I noticed that nobody had mentioned so far that the remote thing can be turned on its side and functions properly as a NES controller...brilliant...

And the pointer thing has endless possiblities...

And at last a controller you can use with one hand! No more pausing the game to have snack breaks...

It's quite interesting to see how they tackled the backwards compatiblility issue...between the gamecube controller and that, I'd say they have covered everything...

Aruun

BRoomer
BRoomer
Mic? You just noticed that now? That was one of the first things I noticed when I saw the console in that picture.

There are only two blatant problems I can think of with this controller. First, if they release more attachments for it besides the analog stick one, it would just be kind of lame that you'd have to buy another part of your controller just to play a game. Second, backwards compatability. Again, it seems lame that you'd have to buy (or save) a GCN controller just to play SNES and N64 games... that you download on the Revolution. What if someone gets the Revolution and they didn't have a GCN already? They get to buy TWO controllers (plus more attachments)? Seems a bit... ehh.

However, I think the controller will open up amazing experiences in the world of gaming. It seems developers really like it too, so hey, hopefully they'll have good third-party support.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
JediMasterYoda98 said:
If they release more attachments for it besides the analog stick one, it would just be kind of lame that you'd have to buy another part of your controller just to play a game. QUOTE]

Donkey Konga/Jungle Beat all needded the Drums, and they came free with the game.

Bedi Vegeta

Smash Master
JediMasterYoda98 said:
There are only two blatant problems I can think of with this controller. First, if they release more attachments for it besides the analog stick one, it would just be kind of lame that you'd have to buy another part of your controller just to play a game. Second, backwards compatability. Again, it seems lame that you'd have to buy (or save) a GCN controller just to play SNES and N64 games... that you download on the Revolution. What if someone gets the Revolution and they didn't have a GCN already? They get to buy TWO controllers (plus more attachments)? Seems a bit... ehh.
I would rather buy two controllers than five different consoles...

I wonder if Nintendo will release a new version of the gamecube controller to go with the revolution (ie. wireless rumble, use new technology to improve the old stuff, slick new look...)...if they don't, they'd have to keep selling the old controllers for sure...

Aruun

BRoomer
BRoomer
Haha, well, you both actually have good points. o_o However, I agree with FDV on making a new GCN controller. It would be much nicer to have a sleeker, re-designed GCN controller that matches the Revolution. They could even release them in the four (five?) different colors that the Revolution controllers are using.

Bedi Vegeta

Smash Master
Just found this on Gamespot...I guess we won't have to use the gamecube controller as much as we thought...
"Iwata addressed concerns people might have about playing retro games on the Revolution's new controller through its virtual console backwards compatibility, saying that classic-styled expansion controllers would be available so people could enjoy the games as they originally remembered them."

ArichTheViking

Smash Apprentice
Nintendo mentioned that the remote control can be fitted inside a larger, more conventional controller shell as well.

I'm hoping this is a key line. As in, a peripheral that plugs in the back of the remote control, but fits tightly around the bottom and sides of the controller, so that it can be turned horizontal and used like a regular controller. Imagine a gamecube controller with a remote control shaped hole on the surface...

Everyone realizes what it would look like to play with this though, right? You're not going to hold it in the air and swing it around with big movements, especially for long play sessions... You're going to rest the base of it right in your lap, and then move the controller no more than you'd move a laser pointer to go across the screen... Then to use the motion sensor in the controller itself, you'll mostly be twisting it... Let's just say it could transfer well to a certain hidden level in GTA:SA.

Megaman X

Smash Journeyman
The more I think about this thing, and the more the initial shock wears off, the better it sounds. Imagine online sword battles. Awesome. FPSs will never be the same again. Mario Party will be effing crazy. Imagine online chat rooms with an art board. A 3D ART BOARD!! At first, I didn't think there were so many applications. Now that I think about it, the applications for this thing are almost endless.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Gnight said:
I can't tell where in the hell I can download from that page.
You can't download it from that site (as far as I know) but you can watch it srtaight from the site. Se the little media window with play, ff, ect? Click play

Megaman X

Smash Journeyman
Totally. The only problem I foresee is the power button being on the controller... What if one of your friends is a sore loser and offs the rev before the round is over?

Gnight

Smash Journeyman
mic_128 said:
You can't download it from that site (as far as I know) but you can watch it srtaight from the site. Se the little media window with play, ff, ect? Click play
god dammit, I couldn't see the media player untill I loaded the page on IE. ****ing FireFox.

Aruun

BRoomer
BRoomer
Megaman X said:
Totally. The only problem I foresee is the power button being on the controller... What if one of your friends is a sore loser and offs the rev before the round is over?
They could make it so in order to turn the system off you have to hold the button down for an extended period of time (not a split second ala DS), giving you enough time to kick your friend's *** before it turns off. Or they could make it so only first-player can turn the system on/off. Or make it so if there's more than one controller being used nobody can power off the system with a controller. I don't know, there's plenty of things they could do.

Blazey

Magical Love Gentleman
BRoomer
LoL you guys are joking right? The power button is for the controller, not the console. Didn't you notice the battery hatch below the b button?

Bedi Vegeta

Smash Master
forblaze71 said:
LoL you guys are joking right? The power button is for the controller, not the console. Didn't you notice the battery hatch below the b button?
I wouldn't be so sure about that...and I would stop making assumptions and do some research before you say stuff like that...all of the main gaming sites say that it turns off the console, plus the video that I saw seems to show somebody turning it off with their controller...but that is a thought...I didn't see a power button for the controller itself...I certainly hope there is one...the most it could do at the moment is turn off when you turn the console off...but that doesn't really help if you want to leave the game paused...

Blazey

Magical Love Gentleman
BRoomer
Fair enough, I was put in my place, I'll take it. Maybe for the whole turning the console off from the remote thing, if you press it while playing or whatever, it'll come up with a window saying something like "are you sure you want to turn off the [insert official name of revolution here]?" That might work for or at least help the sore loser scenario.

TelpeFion

Smash Lord
Hm... relatively few buttons. I'm sort of hoping they'll go and add like 2 more buttons. Otherwise they'll have to be really genious to make some complicated games work with it.

Top Bottom