• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii/Wii U

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
I seriously doubt a $99. Based on software alone, then yeah, it might be possible to release it that cheap. But Nintendo's also looking to make a profit. I'd say $150-200 wouldn't be unlikely.

RaptorHawk

Smash Ace
McFox9 said:
I seriously doubt a $99. Based on software alone, then yeah, it might be possible to release it that cheap. But Nintendo's also looking to make a profit. I'd say $150-200 wouldn't be unlikely.
Well the developers agreed that it Should launch at $149 or lower. Chances are they took into account Nintendo making profits. But Nintendo launching the Revolution at $99 would actually be a VERY smart idea assuming theyre not taking too big of a hit. Yea theyd be losing profit, but it would be worth it. If the competition does not lower the prices on their systems then Nintendo gets a HUGE advantage. If the competition does lower their prices then they will be taking huge losses in profits.

KiraYamato

Smash Journeyman
I just find it hard to believe that nintendo would release a next generation console with that kind of controller and wifi enabled out of the box for $99, less than the price of their portable DS system. Isnt the gameboy micro $99. Someone can correct me if im wrong. But revolution cost as much as the gameboy micro? That just doesnt seem right to me.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
They can chargea bit more for handhelds, because, what else is there? The more expensive PSP? Or the N-Gage? Whereas The console war there's Microsoft and Sony to worry about. The cheaper, the better in this case, as then rather than choosing between 360, Rev or PS3, you could be choosing between Rev and 360 or Rev and PS3.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
I'm not saying that I have any kind of basis for this, I'm just saying that $99 seems unlikely in the extreme. $149, I could believe.

Giygas

BRoomer
BRoomer
Wow, this is a huge difference from the rumored $249 and $299 pricepoints I've been hearing. My predicition? $199 (the same as the NES, SNES, N64, and GCN when they all came out), or $149 if Nintendo really wants to be agressive and make some waves. That said, I would gladly pay extra money for, say,the system to come with a charging cradle for the controllers or one of the classic shells, for example. Oddly enough, a $99 or $149 price point would go along with Nintendo's ludicrous claims that gamers should/could pick the Rev up as a "companion" console to the PS3 or Xbox360.

In terms of power (how developers are saying that it might only be 2-3 times more powerful than GameCube), I'm not too worried about that. Look at games like Resident Evil 4, Twilight Princess, the Metroid Prime series. These are games that, even running in standard definition on on a 480i display, look amazing. Take that and double or triple that and you've got a very pretty picture. So it might not rival Halo 3 in glorious high definition, but when you've got that unique controller, plus the virtual console, will you be missing much. And wi-fi smash? Sign me up.

I played Xbox 360 on a shiny, crisp LCD display and to be honest I wasn't that impressed. "This is it?" was what I said. Sure, it looked better than normal Xbox, and the system has only just come out, but it just seemed like a souped-up Xbox. And that's what developers were saying of Revolution, right?

So don't sweat the power issue.

vidjogamer

Smash Master
Nintendo said there were more secrets on the controller...

They dont have to limit all attchment peripheral to input devices.. what about output?

I was thinking, what if they made an attachment with a screen, then you can play all of your virtual console games on the go?

Then again they could just send them to you DS...

Im sure they could make something interesting though, lets think and see if we can figure it out.

Giygas

BRoomer
BRoomer
That might be an idea. Didn't Nintendo let you play certain games on your GBA that you transferred over from the GameCube... or was that the e-reader cards?

Doggalina

Smash Lord
Chicagoland (NW Indiana)/Purdue West Lafayette
Giygas said:
That might be an idea. Didn't Nintendo let you play certain games on your GBA that you transferred over from the GameCube... or was that the e-reader cards?
If you mean like Animal Island from Animal Crossing, then yes.

Also, on a demo disk, there was a WarioWare Demo and Dr. Mario Demo downloadable to the GBA.

Deo_Smash

Smash Apprentice
between $150-200 would seem like the best price range, and still be at a lower price than the competion. Plus Nintendo will most like be selling periphials around $10-20. Games would likely be $60 or less. But at any price, it will most likely be able to be affordable for all and any.

beckhamisaqueer

Smash Cadet
Anything 150$ or lower for this machine and I'm buying it for sure. I think a lot of others would agree with me. I think Nintendo is doing the right thing here, seeing as I'm not impressed by the 360 screenshots.

And heres the website of that quote for the 99$ pricetag.

link

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Guys, this is just speculation. Wait until nintendo actually give you a price before getting excited or shows pictures of actual games. So far, the 360 was the only one to deliver what it showed. PS3 has yet to show a single true screen shot same with Rev. I am not buying it to enjoy games I already own or games that sound good on paper.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
A $200 price tag would be nice.

Workable Revolution development kits just went out to third parties last week. What the?

byt

Smash Cadet
Having learned that the Revolution will be approximately 2.5x more powerful than the Gamecube is a little dissapointing, however, the positive side of this is that developers won't need to focus on HD art assets and instead focus on creating better games (not to mention longer).

For what Nintendo plans to do, this is more than suitable.

Mic_128 said:
While true, I already have a DVD player, CD player, picture viewer...the debate is more on the fact that you have to pay MORE for things you already HAVE. I don't need another DVD player, CD player, ect, I just want a box that plays good games.
That's only partially true. I don't know if it works this way for all of it, but the Revolution is still focused on only games, not like the PS2 or X-box. I think that Sony is just trying to recreate your living room, with a little extra video game added, but that's it. If you get Nintendo Power and you read the article on it, you would know that the DVD, CD player whatever is a portable attachment that is not part of the system, and plus I think it comes free with the system, so I don't think you have to pay more either, but I won't know that for sure until the issue of NP that has that comes. I know what you mean though. I love the Gamecube because there is nothing added to it, it's an only for games devise, not something with a DVD-drive inside of it, which takes up space, makes it bigger, and removes the actual gaming-technology; all that's inside it is stuff for playing games.

BYT, that is only partially true, because the Gamecube, contrary to popular opinion, had the most gaming-power out of all the home-systems of its time. So it doesn't need to be upgraded a whole bunch, because it was the strongest force of gaming of its day. The PS3 is a lot stronger than the PS2 but only because it was the worst of the three systems. The PS3, from what I've heard, anyways, is upgrading its former by around 30 times. The Gamecube was much stronger in the first place, so they couldn't do that to it even if they wanted to. We do not know enough about technology to upgrade the Gamecube by 30 times; it can't be done. The Gamecube was strong in the first place.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
^ Sadly you have been misinformed. The Xbox was the most "powerful" system of this generation.

And mic was saying what you just said.

Giygas

BRoomer
BRoomer
Thought this was interesting. Found it on n-sider's message boards.

"Never in the history of the console gaming has the most powerful hardware sold the most units. The SNES and the Megadrive were too close to call but for the generation before that the Master System was outsold by the NES despite it's superior technology, the Gameboy has destroyed all competitors despite being massively over matched in the power department, the Sony Playstation sold more than the much more capable N64 and the PS2 has beaten two more powerful machines to claim the prize in the current generation. So far the DS is even beating the PSP in terms of units sold. Surely one can only conclude that, while there may be a significant number of people who base their purchasing decisions on technical capabilities and this may even be a growing number as the general public become more technologically savvy, the vast majority buy a machine because they like the games that it has to offer."

[Full Post]

DreamCaster

BRoomer
BRoomer
Giygas said:
"Never in the history of the console gaming has the most powerful hardware sold the most units. The SNES and the Megadrive were too close to call but for the generation before that the Master System was outsold by the NES despite it's superior technology, the Gameboy has destroyed all competitors despite being massively over matched in the power department, the Sony Playstation sold more than the much more capable N64 and the PS2 has beaten two more powerful machines to claim the prize in the current generation. So far the DS is even beating the PSP in terms of units sold. Surely one can only conclude that, while there may be a significant number of people who base their purchasing decisions on technical capabilities and this may even be a growing number as the general public become more technologically savvy, the vast majority buy a machine because they like the games that it has to offer."

[Full Post]
I (as I'm sure many others) were skeptical about the DS at first (trust me, I'm going somewhere with this), it seemed that Nintendo was introducing even more "abstract" technology to distance itself from third parties, but now that the DS has been out for about a year now we can see how unique it's technology really adds to the gaming experience. The PSP merely takes what is on consoles and brings it to the handheld world, a great concept if you wanna play your console games on the road (as well as your media files - a concept that I personally love about the PSP as an "all in one" device) but nothing new is really implied; Nintendo on the other hand has been in the handheld business for over 15 years, Nintendo knows how to make games for the gamer on the go, simple and sweet. Even without the "touch" capabilities the aspect of the dual screen alone turned out to be such a great addition to gaming. With the success of the DS I'm now much more optimistic about the Revolution. Nintendo proved with the DS it's never too late to change the way you play games. It seems between the Xbox 360 and PS3 it's a battle over who can make a game that's great to look at, the Revolution's aim is to see if they can make games that are great to play. The graphical capabilities of the current generation of games more or less proved that graphics don't make the game, the gameplay is what's key (Katamari Damacy, Disgaea, Animal Crossing, LoZ: WW, Dragon Quest VIII), highly rendered visuals are merely a polish over a game's true form, but he11, we all knew that already looking at the sucess of "anthology" games with dated graphics, music, but strong gameplay that can be released in today gaming market yet still hold their own. The Revolution is bringing something new and different to the world of gaming, I'm not saying PS3 or Xbox 360 won't have great games that rely on classic gaming formulas, but the Revolution's new games are going to go beyond the limits of what previous gaming had to offer.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
It has been a long time waiting but finally Nintendo has provided some of the gaming industry with an in-game demonstration of their new Revolutionary controller! At an exclusive event in New York yesterday, NOA head of sales and marketing, Reggie Fils-Aime, showed off numerous software examples to the press, showing just how accurate and precise the controller is, with Super Mario Sunshine and Metroid Prime 2 being used as part of the show.

Numerous demos were available at the event, with most (if not all) being exactly those shown in the behind-closed-doors event at the Tokyo Games Show in September. The first of these was a shooting type one, in which controller was pointed at the screen, creating a crosshair which allowed for precision aiming at the destruction of emerging blocks. Soon after, a Revolution version of the Game Boy Advance launch title, Kuru Kuru Kururin, was shown, and proved just how easily Revolution could handle pin-point pixel-perfect accuracy. Reggie Fils-Aime challenged today’s gamers by stating the following:

‘What I’d want to challenge both current gamers as well as new gamers with is, ‘What do you want in your experience?’ Do you really want to see beads of sweat on the player? Or do you want to play games in a whole new way?”

A very bold statement no doubt, and further reinforces Nintendo’s stance in the gaming industry.

Next came a big surprise. Delfino Island, the setting for Super Mario Sunshine, appeared on screen. After showing off some panning of the island, an aircraft emerged. This craft was controlled by tilting the controller much like you would with any pretend flying plane (anyone remember running round the house as a child with a Lego fighter jet? I do!). It was also confirmed that this was the technology shown to games developers behind closed doors at this year’s Tokyo Games Show. Now we know why all the developers have been praising Nintendo’s current innovative piece.

Now came a fishing game that worked much like the example showed off in the Revolution Controller Trailer at this year’s TGS. Yet the best was to come, a modified version of Metroid Prime 2: Echos! The game was booted up with the nunchuck device attached to the base of the controller and away she went. Samus was controlled via movements of the nunchuck which included one hand strafing. The main part of the controller was used to aim and fire her weapon. According to those who were lucky enough to attend the event, the system works. In fact it works very well!

You may be wondering when Nintendo will release screenshots or videos to the fans, but Reggie all but says it won't happen. Most of the games demoed featured primitive graphics that "would look more at home on the Super Nintendo" according to the name-taker, and as such we must again look towards E3 2006 for the real software.

With this latest showcase and hype surrounding what is inevitably a brilliantly working and at the same time innovative controller, it seems that EA too has become excited by the news. Reggie Fils-Aime stated at the recent 33rd Annual UBS Global Media Conference in New York that EA had told him how impressed they were with Nintendo. He quoted EA to have said:

“ It's a brilliant controller, and as usual we can credit Nintendo with being innovative and neat and fresh and fun. They continue to pioneer in our industry…they make some of the best games in the industry…and we look forward to partnering with them.”

The biggest third party company in the gaming industry can’t go wrong and it’s only more good news for Nintendo that they are starting to show some real support. Perhaps Nintendo’s innovation will pay off this round and third parties may not be so hard to sign up.
~Aussienintendo.com

vidjogamer

Smash Master
Miyamoto said there was another secret about the controller.
Miyamoto also satated that he wants to see games leave the confines of the television, to see a game take up an entire room.

Combine those two statements. Maybe Nintendo is taking a shot a virtual reality.
The controller has expansion ports. This could potentially be for a virtual reality helmet, or something of the sort. The controller senses motion in all 3 dimensions. The controllers capabilities make virtual reality a possibilty.

Nintendo is ambitious, i could see them doing it. Obviously not all games would have to use it, but it would be there.

What do you all think?

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
Mic_128 said:
The biggest third party company in the gaming industry can’t go wrong
I wish that was sarcasm.

vidjogamer said:
What do you all think?
No.

Nintendo's tried it before. It didn't work so well.

Moreover, it would take a completely different console to handle that sort of thing. Binocular vision in games would be incredibly hard to implement.

kaid

Smash Master
"Leaving the confines of the television" does not nessisarally mean Virtual Boy 2. Imagine a Soul Caliber-style fighting game, but instead of button combos, you actually did the moves yourself.

Now imagine Vs. mode. 2 people, standing about 6 feet apart, each holding a remote toward the opponent. advance, retreat, attack, guard...
Now imagine a 3-or-4 player match. Sure, you'd need a lot of room, but I recall one thrid party developer commenting about the controller, "With proper use of the expantion slot, you could do VS. shooter games without the use of a screen." In other words, Laser Tag, without the lasers. That would require even more space.

vidjogamer

Smash Master
kaid said:
"Leaving the confines of the television" does not nessisarally mean Virtual Boy 2. Imagine a Soul Caliber-style fighting game, but instead of button combos, you actually did the moves yourself.
That is true. But, doing the moves instead of button combos still requires a tv.

byt

Smash Cadet
Chill said:
If all those demos were shown at TGS why are they acting like its news?
Because this wasn't behind closed doors like it was at TGS. Also keep in mind that TGS is in Japan so its likely very few non-Japanese people got a chance to experience it. Being done here in the US is significant in that those few Americans that may have been skeptical otherwise have gotten a chance to experience what Nintendo has been pushing. Obviously it was a big hit.

byt

Smash Cadet
kaid said:

Now imagine Vs. mode. 2 people, standing about 6 feet apart, each holding a remote toward the opponent. advance, retreat, attack, guard...
Now imagine a 3-or-4 player match. Sure, you'd need a lot of room, but I recall one thrid party developer commenting about the controller, "With proper use of the expantion slot, you could do VS. shooter games without the use of a screen." In other words, Laser Tag, without the lasers. That would require even more space.
This reminds me of the Nintendo ON video that was released on the internet around this year's E3. That had a lot of people going. Too bad it was a fake...but it was clever.

KiraYamato

Smash Journeyman
byt said:
This reminds me of the Nintendo ON video that was released on the internet around this year's E3. That had a lot of people going. Too bad it was a fake...but it was clever.
I totally forgot about that video. I have to admit that it was very well done and planned out very well to have released on the internet right before E3.

blaksheap82

Smash Ace
Mic_128 said:
With this latest showcase and hype surrounding what is inevitably a brilliantly working and at the same time innovative controller, it seems that EA too has become excited by the news. Reggie Fils-Aime stated at the recent 33rd Annual UBS Global Media Conference in New York that EA had told him how impressed they were with Nintendo. He quoted EA to have said:

“ It's a brilliant controller, and as usual we can credit Nintendo with being innovative and neat and fresh and fun. They continue to pioneer in our industry…they make some of the best games in the industry…and we look forward to partnering with them.”

The biggest third party company in the gaming industry can’t go wrong and it’s only more good news for Nintendo that they are starting to show some real support. Perhaps Nintendo’s innovation will pay off this round and third parties may not be so hard to sign up.
~Aussienintendo.com
EA is looking forward to innovation? They praise Nin for innovation and, then use a yearly formula
for each of their sports games? Talk about being two-faced. But, if EA does embrace innovation, I'll have a heart attack- I mean, good for them, and more third-party support is better than none any day; just as long as Nin gets more this time around.

And kaid, how could you play a 3-D fighter like Soul Calibur the way you described, because to still see the TV you'd constantly be twisting your head around; you can't watch two things at once, the TV and your opponent.

Top Bottom