• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii/Wii U

Destiny Smasher

BRoomer
BRoomer
Dude, I'm sorry, a keyboard is NOT a controller.
It's not as tangible.
I can't grasp it in my hands. I can't use my THUMBS.
I'm used to controlling directions with my left thumb, not my right index and ring finger.
Granted, you can get used to it, but it's NOT the same.
I played Mario Bros. 1 on my computer and then on an NES today, (bearing in mind I haven't TOUCHED an NES in about 5 years) and I played SO much better on the NES.
Also, emulators don't run games with full fluidity and at perfect speed, either, at least when it comes to, like, GBA.
It took me a while to find a ROM of Super Mario Bros. that would run at the right speed.

However, SNES emulation is basically the highest quality emulation there is, I'd say.

That aside, is anyone else concerned with the 3rd party support, or was someone just being stupid and not thinking straight?

Zink

Smash Champion
I think 3rd party support will be limited at first, because companies will be worried about pirating. I think that support will depend partly on the strength of Nintendo's security.

Destiny Smasher

BRoomer
BRoomer
See, that's the Rev.'s strength AND weakness: exclusivity.

They'll have games, series, and GENRES that NO ONE else can have, but will they get enough 3rd party support?

If it's anything like the DS...I mean, look at that system's first year...kind of bleck, and then it exploded with greatness, both innovative and traditional.

EGM recently interviwed David Jaffe, the mind behind God of War.

---

EGM: What do you think about the Revolution?

DJ: I think it's cool! I'm very excited to get my hands on it. The con to it is, is it going to end up being a big novelty so that after about 20 minutes or two or three days you're kinda bored of it, and it's neat, but it really doesn't lead to any kind of compelling gameplay? Now, it is Nintendo and it is Miyamoto. I think that guy and that company are 100 times smarter than I am, so you'd be an idiot to assume that they haven't thought of that and dealt with that. But that would be my only kind of negative to it. So I'm really excited. I won't buy one on day one any more than I got an Xbox 360 on day one, because I ain't gonna get up at 3:00 in the morning and wait in line at Best Buy. But I'll get one as soon as I can because I'm looking forward to it.

--

Positive words and enthusiasm from one of the most respected developers of 2005.

ChumpMoney

Smash Lord
well thats what i mean. no, you cant grasp a keyboard, but everytime you sit downa t one you knwo where all the keys are in relation to your hand, but when you go revisit your old snes controller, i bet you look down twice before that physical memory comes back.

roms make old skool gaming so much better than buying the game and using a revolution controller, because one, they're free, two, keyboards are good for old skool gaming control, and another aspect many people forget, you can resize the applet to fit any space on your monitor

Destiny Smasher

BRoomer
BRoomer
Actually, I DON'T need to look down at my controllers. Ever. NES controller? Didn't need to look down for an instant, despite having not touched one in years.

Gimme a Sega genesis controller, which I haven't used in, say, 5 years, and I'd guarantee you I'd pick up on it. Now, XBox controllers are different, because they feel funky, and I've hardly used 'em.

Besides, keys aren't buttons. Keys all feel the same. And it's not about memorization, either, it's about the FEEL, the tangibility. You just can't use your thumbs and grasp the keyboard in your HANDS. My index fingers aren't used to reacting in video games, they're used to WRITING.

And the way I play games like Super Mario bros., I hold the run button ALL the time. Easy to do with your thumbs, not so comfortable for me with my index fingers.

And I didn't say that ROMs were worse then revolution (not that you KNOW yet, since you haven't even played), I said I'd MUCH rather play an NES with an NES controller in my hand and have it run perfectly the way it was intended rather than playing a ROM with a KEYBOARD on my computer. I just don't like keyboards in general when it comes to action games. I can USE them, just not as well, and it's mainly because I need to use my thumbs for the main stuff, and my index fingers for secondary stuff, on a 3D controller, not a 2D keyboard.

The Revolution, if pulled off right, will be so intuitive that people won't really have to look at it. I'd be interested if they give us more 'Revolution-like' options for controlling the older games.

Heh. I'll ebven be able to play Yoshi's Safari now.

Zink

Smash Champion
DUDE. You hit the nail right on the head. This si why I hate roms. Plus the fact that they're. y'know, illegal and all.

Destiny Smasher

BRoomer
BRoomer
Oh, I don't mind the illegality, personally.

Would Nintendo be making money if I bought Mario bros. used off of someone? No. Some rando, dude would be making money off of it. Nintendo already MADE their profit.

Besides, there's a LOT of old skool games I wouldn't pay for anyway, but if they're free, I'd play them.

'Course, then you start getting into GBA, and then N64 and PSX ROMs, and then I actually start feeling a little guilty.

Then I realize I could never buy Valkyrie Profile without forking over WAY to much money to some dude on E-bay, and then I don't feel bad anymore.

Zink

Smash Champion
Wow, listen to that. "I don't mind the illegality, personally." I vote you Most Likely to Be Caught Downloading The Internet.
I can't believe it doesn't bother you. Money is not everything. You might be saving money, but whoever got you the rom is getting paid to put ads on their site and might be using the money to buy crack.
Nintendo would be happy to know one of their customers engaged in a little private enterprise. Hopefully they won't buy crack too.

ChumpMoney

Smash Lord
yea ok i can see ya d. smasher. i guess i just prefer a keyboard for ol skoo control, but yea, just an opinion.

roms arent illegal. if they were illegal the police would actually DO something about it. and im not talking about "oh did you hear about so and so? they got fined $10,000 for illegal downloads and stuff". no. theres maybe a handful of stupid idiots who probably did something ********, and then got linked to illegal downloads of roms and music and junk, but there are ten thousand people who dont get caught for every one person that does. i'll definately take my chances if it means i dont have to pay for, pokemon blue on a GB emu, or Shock Troopers on an NG emu

ChumpMoney

Smash Lord
i know. but whos gonna know if i own the game or not. and whos gonna know if i have roms or not.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Does that mean if I kill someone and don't get caught, it wasn't Illegal?

ChumpMoney

Smash Lord
SUPER EDIT: I'm changing my whole post.

I'm not trying to say that it's ok to do illegal tihngs, but there are differnt levels of tolerance to illegal things. Murder, is definately not on the same level as pirating files online.

It's like public urination. It's illegal, but people do it all the time, and if you have never done it, then that's very hard to believe, but congrats to you.

ROMs are the same way. It's not a problem if you would rather just download Zelda II online and play it for free, rather than paying $5 (estimate for example reasons) and playing it through you revolution.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
People urinate in public? Ew.

Roms are illegal, regardless of the way you justify it to yourself.

Drab Emordnilap

Palindrome Bard
BRoomer
Define public.

I will admit to urinating on a tree while camping, out of view of anyone else, as far as I could tell. Is that public?

I also admit not being able to find the handle to flush the tree.

(I also admit to possibly having been under the influences of debilitating substances at the time.)

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
i think he means if you're far from a bathroom, you run into some thick bushes or something.

they'd have to be pretty thick though.

and what's the penalty for public urination? a fine?

what about public defacation? okay ignore that.

this is a very revolutionary discussion.

Zink

Smash Champion
CMonkey you sound like a little kid playing Monopoly. "You can rob the bank as long as you don't get caught!"
Krisp that freaked me out and I may never freak back in again.
The police are overworked in most areas anyway, and I think there's a different group for the Internet anyway...
Good old Sony. The closest thing they have to creativity is the fact that they have the same first letter as Sega. And they both have 4 letters. OK that's not creative actually.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
If Sony didn't have third parties it would probably be in the same position as Nintendo is without third parties. Least amount of consoles sold with decreasing software sales.

If you guys feel like being fanboys do it in console debates.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Chill said:
If Sony didn't have third parties it would probably be in the same position as Nintendo is without third parties. Least amount of consoles sold with decreasing software sales.

Chill ftw.

ChumpMoney

Smash Lord
wow i love this thread sooo much more than the crappy *** revolution smash thread. gj zink.

i would only use the downloadable games thing only if there was an option for an unlimited downloads (within drive space) subscriptions fee that was like, iunno maybe like 10$ max. does anyone else have any particular thing they would prefer?

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
Chill said:

why don't you take a look at the most recent sales figures for the DS? Its majorly outselling the PSP. like 13 million to 7 or 8 million. can't remember the PSP sales exactly but I think thats approximately it. and don't give me the DS got a head start advantage crap. based on how long they've been out and how much they've sold, DS still sells on average more per month than the PSP.

Sony's got great stuff too, but i can't even think of a first party sony game. Everything good is third party.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
DS>PSP, sure. But GC<PS2. Why is DS so good? It had 3rd party games.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
ChRed, I wasn't going to give you that "head start crap" the PSP, has very little support in the way of games right now. More games are finally starting to come out but I wouldn't expect it to overtake the DS.

Your lack of knowledge on Sony's first party titles proves nothing.

Mic, what... is... that!?

DreamCaster

BRoomer
BRoomer
what, you guys don't remember Panasonic's QCube?! It could play DVDs (prolly the reason Nintendo halted it's production, it was easier to rip GC games on DVD format). Anyhoo...

Originally Posted by ChRed2AKrisp
Originally Posted by Chill

why don't you take a look at the most recent sales figures for the DS? Its majorly outselling the PSP. like 13 million to 7 or 8 million. can't remember the PSP sales exactly but I think thats approximately it. and don't give me the DS got a head start advantage crap. based on how long they've been out and how much they've sold, DS still sells on average more per month than the PSP.

Sony's got great stuff too, but i can't even think of a first party sony game. Everything good is third party.
Whichever console has (the most) third party support is the console that will have the best sales, simple as that, any gamer knows this. It doesn't matter how good Nintendo's first party games are, a single developer/publisher (Nintendo) can only make so many good games at a time. It's true that Nintendo has a small gaming library where quality outweighs quantity and the PS2 has a massive gaming library with hundreds of crappy games, but because of it's army of third parties constantly publishing and developing games it also has hundreds of great games too giving the PS2 library both quantity and quality (even though PS2 has many, many crappy games, it still has tons more awesome games than the GC, sorry GC fans, it's true). When the final augments over "innovation this" and "originality that" have been made, it will be the third parties that call the shots in the end. It always has been.

For example if Capcom decided to go 1st party (with it's own console and everything) and similar to Nintendo, the Capcom console had trouble having third parties develop games for it you would have similar results. Of course Capcom fans would buy the Capcom console to play it's exclusive games, such as Resident Evil, Megaman, Viewtiful Joe, Street Fighter, Devil May Cry, etc., etc., but to the more casual gamer a console with a wider selection of (third party) game styles and variety (i.e. the PS2) would be more attractive (for example, unless it had a third party developer for a music/rhythm genre game, a Capcom console would have no music/rhythm games! A definite turn off in my book ;)).

As for the DS's success over the PSP (what is this, the console debates topic now?) in my personal opinion right now the types of games the two carry differ greatly too greatly (the same argument can be said with GC vs Xbox, but I'm going somewhere with this!). IMO the PSP right now seems more like a portable Xbox than Playstation2 with the types of games it's offering right now (mostly racing, shooting, and sports with very little action/platform and RPG, games that make PS2 so attractive).

The handheld gaming market has yet to ensnare the appeal to older gamers (unlike the current demographic of console gamers whose average age 27), so the games still retain their "innocent" style where violence, sex, and vulagrity are not the main attraction to handheld games, rather addictive and simplistic gameplay still rules supreme (why do you think Puzzle games and nostalgic ports are such big handheld sellers? Simple and addictive). Nintendo has never been about blood, gore, sex, or heck, even realsim (old school Mario anyone?). I'm getting off on a tangent here, but when I heard "Reggie's" speech on "kicking *** and taking names" I wept. That is not what Nintendo is about. Nintendo is about having pure, simple, clean fun, nothing profane and vulgar ("kicking ***" [shudder]... unless by "***" he meant koopa shells and stomping goombas). Snice when did Nintendo ever need to change it's philopsopy to ensnare older gamers? Don't sell out Nintendo... you already took away Metroid, a great platformer and turned into a FPS Halo copy to try to make it attractive to "older" gamers (That's right, I went and said it. It need to be said. Flame me all you want, the TRUTH had to be told!). Will we ever see a classic 2D Metroid game? Who knows....

As for the PSP's other media features, unlike the PS2’s appeal of playing DVDs (making the PS2 a entertainment media hub), the PSP’s UMD media means spending more money on UMD discs (whereas the PS2 you actually saved money by not having to buy a DVD player to play DVDs). Who knows what may happen if Sony uses it’s console tactics on the PSP (i.e. if a hoard of PSP only exclusive titles such as exclusive Final Fantasy, Megaman, Soul Calibur, Nippon Ichi strategy games, Ratchet and Clank, Jak and Daxter type games (with gameplay that actually meets or even surpasses the quality of their console counterparts) then perhaps it may become a real threat to the DS, however right now Sony seems to be treating the PSP as a gadget for those with way to much money, unlike the DS, a rewarding gaming experience from all angles.

Giygas

BRoomer
BRoomer
Nintendo... you already took away Metroid, a great platformer and turned into a FPS Halo copy to try to make it attractive to "older" gamers (That's right, I went and said it. It need to be said. Flame me all you want, the TRUTH had to be told!). Will we ever see a classic 2D Metroid game? Who knows....
"TRUTH" and "opinion" are two totally different things, and by being able to undistinguish between the two gives you zero credibility for anything else you've posted. If you don't like the style or gameplay, that's fine, but the Metroid Prime series is anything but a Halo clone. The Prime games were all about exploration, with shooting put in as an afterthought. The meat and bones of the gameplay was the adventure... shooting just spiced things up. The sheer artistic beauty, immersive-as-hell gameplay, beautiful score, and enrapturing exploration set this game far above the rest.

There's a reason it is ranked the number one game of this generation and the third best of all time.

If you are bitter about the lack of "classic-style" metroid games, go whine about it, but don't write off some of the greatest games ever made because you're upset.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
If you want a classic Metroid game, go grab Fusion and Zero mission.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Well, game rankings is opinion too. I had never played a Metroid game before Prime and even with that limited exposure I can tell you it is anything but a Halo clone. I nearly despise FPS and Metroid Prime really drew me in. The point of the game is not to shoot things but too explore the world and learn its history, while solving puzzles along the way. The only reason I stopped playing is when I reached the scan quest. That was the worst idea and the only bad part of the game for me. It just felt forced and didn't flow like the rest of the game.

EDIT: Yes, I know.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Scan quest?

New Rev rumor that the stand also is a charger/powerpack.

Also, anyone remember Nintendo Pennant Chase Baseball? The one that was for GC but was suddenly "delayed indefinitely" mid last year? People are thinking it's being moveed onto the Rev. Which wouldn't be a bad thing.

Top Bottom