• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii/Wii U

supermariopro101

Smash Journeyman
It all depends on personal opinion. I will say that when I use the word we it might be confused as wii which has probably been already stated. Since we is used a lot in conversation, maybe not videogames but there are times, it makes sense to think of a better name.

The Great Marth

Smash Lord
Do i like the name? nope.
Will i get used to the name? not this time.
Will i still call it" rev" or" revo" or" revolution"? INDEED.
Does any one care about what i just said? nope.

but i found a paragraph from http://gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=16413
that made me laugh........i hope u laugh too.
|
|
|
|
|
|
\ /

However, the name is unlikely to go down well across the large swathes of the English-speaking world - including the United Kingdom - where "wee" is a very common children's slang phrase for the act of urination. In Scotland and Ireland, however, the diminutive console will at least be appropriately named, as "wee" is a word meaning "small" in the vernacular of those regions.

Bahamut

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
Bahamut3585
All I can say at this point is they BETTER FREAKING CHANGE IT FOR US ENGLISH-SPEAKERS. They changed the Famicom and Super Famicom to 'Nintendo Entertainment System' and 'Super Nintendo Entertainment System', respectively. If they valued their market share, they'd do the same here.

"I can't affort the PS3 or Xbox 360. What's left?"
"Wii"
"Sorry, I'm not buying a piss system. I'm poor, not ********."

DreamCaster

BRoomer
BRoomer
Of course the name is going to sound akward if you keep saying as just "Wii".

Try this:

"Nintendo Wii"

or how about this:

"Nintendo, we"

Sounds much more profound now, doesn't it?. The name "Nintendo Wii" speaks to all of the Nintendo gamers as a whole, as a community. Anyone who has played the DS wifi knows this. Nintendo has always been a pioneer of "getting together with your buddies to play" ever since the big gray-boxy green screen GB's 4 way cable connection; the N64 was the first syestem to have 4 controller ports, now the DS has free wifi play with anyone you want world wide. Watch the "Nintendo Wii" trailer again. It's about "i" (me) and "i" (you) getting togeter to to become "Wii" (we), us, the Nintendo gamers.

A brilliant name if you ask me.

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
i'm calling this first....
there gonna do a commercial and the word "Wii" will appear, and then an "f" will slowly appear between the "i"s, and its gonna be all like...."WIFI...technology for online play", and everyone will lol and say, "o-HOHO!!1 they're clever! That Nintendo!"

"So that's Wii. But now Nintendo needs you. Because, it's not really about you or me. It's about Wii. And together, Wii will change everything."

The Great Marth

Smash Lord
Brilliant yes....but do the majority of people want to say, "can i buy your wii" or "how much would u sell your black wii?" or "dont touch my wii, its small." or "my wii can play DVDs!"

the name in its self sets ANYBODY up for trouble.....nintendo is more perverted than wii thought........

kaid

Smash Master
None of those sentances make sence unless taken as the intended second meaning. It would be more like:

"Dude, I never thought I'd ask this, but how much does one of those nintendo thingies cost?"

Craftstar

Prank Monkey
BRoomer
A saving grace is that generally Nintendo consoles are refered to as simply "Nintendo" because back in the early Nintendo days, you didn't play Nintendo Entertainment System, you simply played "Nintendo". Now, people still talking about playing "Nintendo" as opposed to playing "Gamecube".

Destiny Smasher

BRoomer
BRoomer
"I'm still in utter disbelief. Nintendo always finds something each generation that is their achilles heel (cartridges on N64, no online play/purple toy box for GCN) and I thought no HD support would do it this generation, but it looks like the name might just take the cake."
Lemme tell you, if the NAME of the product is the main complaint, Nintendo has a lot of good things going for it, because the name doesn't determine at ALL how fun it will be.

I thought this was very true:
"It's a strange name, to be sure, but it does one job very well: it makes people ask what it's about. Nintendo certainly has its work cut out for it making sure that the story told is its own story: one of inclusiveness."

And nobody I knows calls it a Nintendo.
We call it a Gamecube.

And COME ON, Wii is such a silly, fun name that immediately evokes attention!

"What are you doing?"
"Playing with my Wii!"
"WTF, mate?"
Everybody wants to know what's up with the name, and people who don't play games are gonne be all like, "What's this of which you speak?"

Giygas

BRoomer
BRoomer
Destiny Smasher said:
"I'm still in utter disbelief. Nintendo always finds something each generation that is their achilles heel (cartridges on N64, no online play/purple toy box for GCN) and I thought no HD support would do it this generation, but it looks like the name might just take the cake."
Lemme tell you, if the NAME of the product is the main complaint, Nintendo has a lot of good things going for it, because the name doesn't determine at ALL how fun it will be.
Congratulations. "Just because it's a dumb name doesn't mean the system will be".

Thank you for enlightening me. Here I thought that because it was called the Wii that all of its games that I've been following religiously like Metroid Prime 3 and Smash Bros. would now suck too.

kaid

Smash Master
If that was true, then there wouldn't be an age gap, now would there.

But I expect you're just rolling out the standard counters to an age-based flame. So let me just say, you have about 6 months to hold it in.

The Great Marth

Smash Lord
since your 20, u couldnt possibly be going to the kindergarden level with that statment...........hmmm.

so i guess u wanna fight me when we grab our wiis?

kaid

Smash Master
Nonsence.

I am merely stating the fact that the Nintendo Wii will not be available for sale until late november. Any double meaning are your own mind at work. (what a concept!)

The rAt

Smash Ace
In a constant state of self-examination. In MN.
Huh, we giving our ages now? I feel like an old man around here most of the time (though kaid's not much youner at all, apparently)...

Anyhow, seems like there's been a strong reaction to the unveiling of Nintendo's Wii (wow, that sounds terrible...). Frankly, I don't care much. It'll always be the Revolution to me. Though it does strike me that they could have avoided at least some of the inevitable jokes by having it pronounced "why" rather than "we." Then it would play off the current love of redundantly repeated letters that is so prominant in American culture these days, which actually seems to me to be a fairly decent marketing decision. In any case, would a Revolution by any other name still play so fair?

Seriously though, it is a bit comical. This is not going to do much for Nintendo's current image.

Blazey

Magical Love Gentleman
BRoomer
The thing that keeps coming to mind when I see the word "Wii" is an ad for the Rugrats go to France movie in which the youngest baby wets himself on the plane and says "wi wi".

I'm with most people in saying that the name is ridiculous. I'm also with all those who say that it'll eventually become catchy. I guess it would, depending on how Nintendo's advertising department handles it. Seriously, think about it. As with the controller, this could end up being really good or really bad. It all depends on how they handle it. How they pitch it to the consumer. Let's hope they somehow come up with a catchphrase that'll work its way into our vernacular. It's not like it hasn't been done before.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Wii had better make up the ground Wii lost with this announcement at E3 or Wii might be screwed.

I asked some kids at work today (7-14) what console would hey play on, one called Revolution or one called Wii. All but 2 said Revolution, one said Wii because he wanted to be different to his friend, and the other just kept saying Wii and giggling.

Vane

Smash Cadet
WIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

On behalf of team crimson knights: Wii hate the name 'Wii'

I can't wait for the PS3 to change its name to Them.

Kais

Smash Ace
I second that. Definitely not the most attractive name Nintendo could have chosen...-_-;

~Kais

Lightsaberboy

Smash Champion
haha, now all the consoles rhyme with each other.

Maybe they renamed it that cause that's the sound that will come out of our mouths when we act like goofballs with the remote.

"WHEEEE!!"

Lemming 1545

Smash Journeyman
kaid said:
It's not how old you ARE, it's how old you act.
Yes, and you're not acting very old, behaving as though vulgarity is a substitute for or badge of maturity. I'm not saying all the "Wii" jokes are mature, I'm kind of annoyed by them too, but don't act like you're more enlightened than The Great Marth just because you like to say "piss" when referring to urination. Good for you, it proves nothing.

Back on the actual topic, I don't care how much meaningless meaning they put behind the name, there's nothing "brilliant" about it. When I first read Nintendo's official statement, I just about vomited from the sheer corniness of it all. I mean, come on. Go back and read the statement a second time and see if you would think it sounded smart in any other context. As much as Nintendo wants it to, their market is not going to make vast expansion over a new console, and there's a fine line between being proud of your product and excessive grandiose. It's pretty obvious that the case here is most likely somebody just thought "Wii" sounded cool, and then some other guy attached all the cheap explaination. Also, saying it might sound better if we called it the "Nintendo Wii -" the official name is the first in Nintendo history to not have "Nintendo" attached to the title. So we could do that, but since it's not correct anyway, we'd be better off just continuing to call it the Revolution.

Iron

Smash Journeyman
Mic_128 said:
Wii had better make up the ground Wii lost with this announcement at E3 or Wii might be screwed.

I asked some kids at work today (7-14) what console would hey play on, one called Revolution or one called Wii. All but 2 said Revolution, one said Wii because he wanted to be different to his friend, and the other just kept saying Wii and giggling.
Rofljuice.

Anyway, a lot of people are complaining about the name. I have to agree with an earlier statement I read in the official Melee Discussion's topic. The name may be stale now, but it will grow on you. The name has a lot of potential, and your opinion of it will vastly change if Nintendo uses good marketing.

kaid

Smash Master
I was actually talking to Rat when I said "it's how old you act," in responce to his "I feel like an old geezer" post.

I WAS acting somewhat immature.

Craftstar

Prank Monkey
BRoomer
http://www.joystiq.com/2006/04/28/real-people-speak-out-about-wii/ < interesting article on the non-gaming public's response to the name when asked what they think it is the name of, and then told it is the name of the new nintendo system.

Apparently the global response isn't much warmer to the name, even without the phallic connotations (PHALLIC LOL). I've heard in Arabic it sounds similar to a slang term for homosexual which is probably worse... of course I don't think the Arabic market is very strong..

Destiny Smasher

BRoomer
BRoomer
If you're sick of the potty jokes and want to read something that actually has INTELLECT put into it, I highly recommend this:

http://blog.wired.com/games/index.blog?entry_id=1467976

It doesn't try to defend Wii as a name, but it does put it under some rational thought.
And it makes sense to me.
Check it out.

In summary?
Everyone on the internet and all the core gamers are appalled.
But the core gamers and the internet are not where the money is.
It's the casual gamers--that's where the real money is.
And casual gamers are often flooded by the confusion of different consoles, and Nintendo using such a different name will ensure that this doesn't happen, for one thing.
But seriously, read the article.
It's good stuff.

Top Bottom