• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii/Wii U

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Paranoid_Android said:
It will still matter - I don't want to have to point to my cieling to go up an inch. It should have total sensitivity, calibration, etc. so that it's comfortable for every player. Controller sensitivity should be adjusted individually for multiplayer.
Yeah, If I remember rightly, that was one of the problems with Red Steel, it was just too sensitive.

Omnigamer

All the things
BRoomer
As far as the online stuff is concerned, I wouldn't put everything out of the picture so quickly. There may still be friend codes, but that interview was very vague on details. I'm thinking there will be some improved functionality that they haven't quite gone into yet. And the internal memory makes it virtually impossible to run out of space for friends, as well.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
anyone else curious about the classic controller in those pix? Its wired to the Wiimote. That's strange, sionce you need two hands on the clasic controller. Is that just so that the classic controller is connected the the Wii through the Wiimote? If so, that seems like a waste. They could have just made the classic controller separate, or at least attack the wiimote directly so that you don't have this piece of electronics just dangling fromt the controller.

BILLY AGE 8

Smash Cadet
ChRed2AKrisp said:
anyone else curious about the classic controller in those pix? Its wired to the Wiimote. That's strange, sionce you need two hands on the clasic controller. Is that just so that the classic controller is connected the the Wii through the Wiimote? If so, that seems like a waste. They could have just made the classic controller separate, or at least attack the wiimote directly so that you don't have this piece of electronics just dangling fromt the controller.
i completely agree, it would be better to have them seperate.

heres one reason i think why, any of you can tell me if i am wrong or if you have a different opinion,

but if you wanted to buy more of the classic style conrollers you would also have to buy more wiimotes just so you could use them, and that adds up. I am not sure i would like to have to buy all that crap, they should be seperate.

and yes the Controller attachment MAY be cheeper than a regular one, but i would still rather have them seperate, it kind of takes away from the whole being wireless feeling, because now you have it hooked to the wiimote.

Aruun

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm pretty sure, though you can't tell in the pictures, that the classic controller has rivet things that let the wiimote attach to it. I could be wrong, of course, but I thought I remember IGN saying something like that.

Antioch

Smash Journeyman
does anyone know if, like the ds, the wii is universal?

so that if i were to import a japanese gamecube game, would i still need a freeloader or no?

Heart Break Kid

Smash Lord
umm we'll be able to download old games, well lets say i wanted to download an originl copy of fire emblem would it be in english or japanese or are only some games available for download, i have the rom but its in all japanese. sorry if this was mentioned i didnt feel like reading through 164 pages of posts.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Antioch, currently the PS3 is supposed to be region-free, so it's possible. But I don't think Nintendo's said anything about it yet.

IAmAUser

Smash Cadet
What I think would be really cool would be if the DS had the power to wirelessly connect to the Wii, and maybe be used as a controller, or be able to interact with certain games. Sorta like the GBA link for the GCN, only easier.

Omnigamer

All the things
BRoomer
I believe they already said something to that effect a loooong time ago, perhaps as far back as the last E3.

The Great Marth

Smash Lord
I have a question......by looking at the TVs that are out....to expensive......

so could i get a computer monitor and hook it up to my revo? if so....how?

im sick of carrying a tv and a vcr and all these cords and stuff....

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
They said either last years E3 or the E3 before that it would be able to be hooked up to a monitor.

Mewtwo is #1

Smash Lord
with the XBox 360 only working on HD TVs, will the Wii be the same way, or will it be able to work on the older television sets? If it only works on HD TVs, man, I'm screwed...

Omnigamer

All the things
BRoomer
360 doesn't only work on HDTVs, graphics are just enhanced if it is.

As for the Wii, last I checked Nintendo has put no support for HDTVs into the machine, so it's a non-issue.

Mewtwo is #1

Smash Lord
Yes, it probably will, which means, of course, that we probably won't see Nintendo working directly with HD TV until their next console. Oh well, individual game developers can enable HD for their specific games (ie: Star Fox Adventures).

Also, will this system have 2 screen ratios? One for widescreen, and one for full screen?

Aruun

BRoomer
BRoomer
What on earth are you talking about? Starfox Adventures can't be run in HD. Do you mean progressive scan?

Also, the gcn could run games in both widescreen and fullscreen, developers just had to program it into their games.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
It's up to developers if they want the game to have a proper Widescreen mode or not. Nintendo said at E3 that their games will support widescreen, so we've got all Nintendo games covered.

Mewtwo is #1

Smash Lord
Yeah, I meant progressive scan mode--since you need an HD TV to activate progressive scan mode, I assumed it meant that the game would be displayed in high definition. What exactly is progressive scan mode, and what does it do?

That's good news, Cashed, although I do not have a widescreen TV yet, I'm sure one will be purchased in teh future.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Mewtwo is #1 said:
Yeah, I meant progressive scan mode--since you need an HD TV to activate progressive scan mode, I assumed it meant that the game would be displayed in high definition.
480p doesn't require a HDTV, just an EDTV. HD isn't until 720p.

germ

Smash Cadet
Cashed said:
just an EDTV. .
do any of you remember that movie? it sucked. im starting a fund to raise money for me to buy a wii... anyone care to donate?... yeah i didnt think so

EDIT: does anyone know how much a wii will cost?

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Reggie said this Q4 this year, so sometime from October 1st to the end of December.

Expect a late November release, just like the GCube and 64. It'll definitely hit in time for the holiday season.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
With Sony announcing at E3 that they'll be releasing the PS3 November 17th in the US, I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo waits till the end of June or so and announces they'll be launching in the first or second week of November.

Mewtwo is #1

Smash Lord
OK, I highly supsected that the release date would be around that time...I'll definitely be pre-ordering this year...

edit: I know this is a bit off-topic, but when exactly was EDTV brought into the picture? Also would a 19" Sony Trinitron TV (made in 2000) have EDTV capabilities?

bball2012

BRoomer
BRoomer
IGN has a supposed launch list that includes the following titles:

• The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
  • Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
  • Wii Sports
  • Red Steel
  • Tony Hawk's Donwhill Jam
  • Madden '07
  • Dragon Quest Swords: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors
  • Super Monkey Ball: Bannana Blitz
  • Metal Slug Anthology
  • Trauma Center: Second Opinion
  • Elebits
  • Marvel: Ultimate Alliance
  • Blitz: The League
  • Rayman Raving Rabbids
  • SpongeBob SquarePants: Creature form the Krusty Krab
  • Disney/Pixar's Cars

It strikes me as a very strong launch. Metroid Prime 3 and Zelda are absolute must-buys, and Wii Sports will be cool for the right price. Super Monkey Ball and Rayman I may get down the road (the director of this Rayman, Michael Ancel, did the badass Rayman 2 and the Zelda-esque Beyond Good and Evil), and Red Steel and Madden I may buy if they turn out right. It's a vast improvement over GameCube, which had exactly 0 must-have titles on launch day.

Hopefully Mario Galaxy and Wario Ware: Smooth Moves can follow shortly to keep the good times rolling.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
What is Elebits? I've never even heard of that.

But yeah, Metroid and Zelda are definite musts. Marvel: Ultimate Alliance looks interesting as well, but I'm still reserving judgement on that one. Monkey Ball is always a great party game, and with the Wiimote it should be even better. Metal Slug is a great series, but not for 50$. Is Blitz: The League an NFL Blitz game, without the NFL since EA has a stranglehold on that? And I've never played a Dragon Quest game, so I might have to see what this one is all about. And I'm not totally sold on Red Steel yet.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
"Elebits has Katamari potential. It's got quirky, anyone's game appeal. The premise is simple, use the Wiimote to target an object in the environment (the demo featured a fully stocked kitchen) and latch on to it with a laser beam. Then, use a push, pull, or toss motion to move the object and uncover the tiny elebits. The goal is to zap as many elebits as you can in the time allotted.The fun is that you can literally tear the environment to pieces."

Flok

BRoomer
BRoomer
Sick launch games list indeed.

Some of the obvious ones to get are of course The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess and Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, but dont' forget about games like Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz or Metal Slug Anthology as well! Or are you more of a sports fan, like Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam or Madden NFL 2007? And if you're brave enough, try to buy Elebits from Konami first or Red Steel from Ubisoft, two all new games. Another game that might be doubtful for some of us is Trauma Center: Second Opinion, but Trauma Center for the DS was a blast to play, I can assure you that.

As for myself, I have a hard time choosing between MP3, TP and MSA. I want to buy 2 games at launch, and atleast 1 of those 3 will definately be a launch game for me, but at the back of my mind I also would like to have Trauma Center, Elebits and Super Monkey Ball.

Well, once the release of the Wii is near, with it's fantastic Virtual Console and controller, I will probaply know what games to buy first.

^ copied from my closed Light House topic.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Wii games were running on upgraded GameCubes!!!

source: www.4colorrebellion.net

GameCube is Ninja at E3
by Mitch - 05.19.06

We all remember those whispers that were abound right after the Wii’s rather weak graphical showing this E3: the Wii was possibly running from the Gamecube’s hardware; probably, because early Wii devkits were doing the same thing.

In a great act of chivalry, Nintendo of America splayed the rumors by - you guessed it: confirming them entirely. NoA came and outwardly agreed with GameDaily’s speculation that the Wii units were simply unit displays, while the actual machinery was powered by a modified GameCube development kit.

Nintendo also commented as an aside that, as of right now, they’re working diligently to finalize the hardware in ol’ Blue Eye. Does this mean that graphics’ll improve before the console falls into our grubby, dorito-stained mitts? Only time will tell:
orignial article:

Nintendo Confirms GameCube Housing for Wii at E3

By now you may have heard about the speculation surrounding Nintendo's Wii showing at E3. Some sneaky photojournalists managed to snap pictures showing GameCubes, not Wii consoles. We've got the scoop, straight from Nintendo, on just what exactly was shown at E3.

In the days following this year's E3, photos began to surface from the Nintendo media briefing and the Wii booth, suggesting that what gamers were actually playing were not Wii consoles, but in fact black GameCubes. "How could this be? Was Nintendo playing a trick on us?" people asked. Obviously, Nintendo isn't "tricking" anyone. GameDaily BIZ got the official word today from Nintendo of America on exactly what was being used to demonstrate the Wii games.

Nintendo confirmed that they did indeed use GameCube housing, but that the "guts" or internal architecture was certainly from the Wii. "The Wii hardware we exhibited at E3 2006 was made specifically for the E3 show and is not the final mass-production version. Some of this hardware was cased in Nintendo GameCube housing," the company explained.

So if the hardware that was used was not representative of the final mass-production version, does that mean that the Wii graphics we all witnessed could be improved by the time the console launches? "For some of the games that you've seen, the focus for them was not graphics at all, and so by design they were made to have a very broad appeal to them -- something that even your non-gamers can understand," Nintendo of America PR Manager Matt Atwood told us. "It isn't the final hardware, so at this point anything could happen, but this is very typical of what happens at E3; this is something I've seen with every other publisher and Nintendo in the past."

He continued, "So will the system specs change? The answer is they're still finalizing it. But as far as what you saw at E3 we think that was very indicative of the experience Wii will offer... It was Wii hardware."
by James Brightman
http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=12739&rp=49

more images:

SmashBros.Guy

Smash Cadet
Some nice shots

I found some nice shots of the Wii, controller, and attachments, check them out.

The Wii

Wii Controller + Classic

Wii Controller + nunchuck attachment

Controller Zapper

Differant colors

Sensor Bar

I was actually looking at hardware numbers but this will do for now.

typh

BRoomer
BRoomer
Nintendo confirmed that they did indeed use GameCube housing, but that the "guts" or internal architecture was certainly from the Wii.
Missed that part? It was still a Wii.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
The Wii hardware we exhibited at E3 2006 was made specifically for the E3 show and is not the final mass-production version
Missed that part? The machinery was powered by a modified GameCube development kit. It's wasn't even the final version; they're still finalizing it, who knows what will improve.

typh

BRoomer
BRoomer
I got the impression that you said that there was rumors that it was running off nothing more than Gamecube hardware, and then you said that Nintendo confirmed the rumor. Sorry if I misunderstood you.

SmashBros.Guy

Smash Cadet
The reason why it was a modified Gamecube is because "Hollywood" and "Brodway" are still in production. Go to Nintendo.com to find out more. Go on the Wii website and look under hardware.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
found another thing to quote:

dsrevolution.com said:
...regarding Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz, a Nintendo representative stated in the Official Nintendo Magazine:

"While the screenshots perfectly illustrate what the game is all about, they're only in development screens that have come from Gamecube (not Wii) development kits."
i dont really care that much if the graphics remain the same and all, i mean, the Wii did blow away E3. but now hearing it blow away E3 with gamecube development kits, it makes me wonder....

Top Bottom