• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wiichuck optimized button mapping

philly_yeah

Smash Rookie
Ok, so this is my first thread. Excited as I was to make it, I did read the rules, and checked to see if another topic covered this *in depth, with full mapping scheme, illustrations, reasoning (which will come from the discussion) and all the rest*. To my satisfaction, this is *new* coverage.

Now without further ado, I present to you, especially to the wiichuck fans like me out there :psycho:, *drumroll*, :psycho:

an optimized wiichuck button mapping!

Ok, ok, before you go crazy ... remember that each mapping has a reason! If ever you're asking yourself, "Why?", ask yourself just once more. There will almost always be a reason to the choice.

So, now's you guys' (gals'?) turn to ask the questions.

philly yeah!

OH, and thanks sMexy-Blu for creating a thread that got me to experiment, and props to Napilopez who had already pointed out the wiichuck DAC techniques elsewhere.

Napilopez

Smash Lord
Hehe, well, there've actually been tons of topics discussing this. Its a good scheme I see, but people will change it according to their tastes. For example, my current scheme has smashes on Dpad except for down, whic is jump, because I feel I do not particularly need the down smash input. I also may or may not have shake smash on depending on how I feel. Your switching of A with B and C with B is interesting, however. What incited you towards such a change? I actually do think switching A with B might be a good idea for certain techs and inputs... hmm.

Julz

Smash Apprentice
Whatttt? What About Uptaunt????? :(((
Disconnect, then press A

Please read this next part as I have spent a crap load of time studying the wii mote+chuck

@controller config:

Set attacks to A for DACUS. Set B to specials so you can Wavebounce.

A+B set to grab is bad. Make A+B set to jump. This makes it easier to combo. A+B jumping is cool because you don't have to press both of them at the same time to benefit from the button combo.

Example: Hold Shield (defend from attack), hold up, hold B, now press A quickly (like you would if you wanted to short hop). This will do an Up+B Out of shield (without any shield lag). Which compensates for not having tap jump on and play with characters like Marth.

You may wanna set 1+2 to grab also since sometimes you don't have the time to use your thumb and you may want to resort to using the palm of your hand (or at least the part of it that hovers over those two buttons). It depends, I find myself hitting the 1+2 button instead of just 1 so it's better to be safe in my case. But if you can hit 1 consistently then that's cool too.

I prefer C to be set to jump and Z set to shield because I'd want the bigger button to be shield. But that's just my own personal preference. Your current c and z buttons still allow shield cancelling and rising airdodges (important to snake, samus, link, toon link). So they're okay.

I'm a big fan of having the smash pad on the wiimote+chuck. It lets you do so many techniques. And it's faster to get to than the GC Controller.

The_Jiggernaut

Smash Ace
First of all, why have you switched attack with special and jump with shield? To each his own, I suppose, but I don't see the point. Its just kinda random.

Also, do you find it awkward to use 1 as grab? I thought about using it, but it was so far out of the way... Using A+B has like, no accuracy at all. Its annoying to have to shield then press A to grab too. Or do you just never grab? XD

@Julz, nice suggestion. I agree, A for attack makes DACUS available; its what I use. But I'm pretty sure you can't wave bounce with the pad as specials...

Edit: Ya, the smash pad is a lot better Imo. personally, though I have the sides set to grab. So I have Usmash, Dsmash, and grab. It sounds weird, I know, but I don't really use side smash like that anyways; I usually charge it up slightly (or alot, depends). This way, all the buttons on that hand are close by

Julz

Smash Apprentice
@The Jiggernaut: press any smash button and press the B button at the same time. Make sure the smash button is in the opposite direction you're moving.

Edit:
It works a little differently with the Up+B and Down+B but it still works.

To wavebounce forward: Jump backwards then press Up/Down Smash + B.

To wavebounce backwards: Jump forward then press Up/Down Smash + B but then you'll have to press back on the control stick.

The_Jiggernaut

Smash Ace
Searously? I thought you had to set the c Stick to specials for this. Therefore only the GC controler.

This IS the AT where you move back a bit during a special, right?

Julz

Smash Apprentice
@The Jiggernaut: You need two control sticks in order to "wavebounce" a special. The smash pad is acting as your second control stick. The GameCube controller offers a control stick that is combined with your specials but it comes at the cost of your smash attacks.

Some characters benefit from having both smashes and wavebouncing.

Personally, I play a lot of characters so I want a control scheme that lets me do everything. So I found myself playing the wiimote+chuck.

@Mister E: I sense a troll. Care to tell us why we should use a GC controller?

zacharia zako

Smash Journeyman
the c stick on my ancient artifact like gamcube controller has malfuncioned and doesnt owk while fighting in match. It works when u pause it and move the camera around and in the main screen but not while in an.

anway im gonna have to use another controller scheme now and this wiichuck thing might be it thanks alot

The_Jiggernaut

Smash Ace
@The Jiggernaut: You need two control sticks in order to "wavebounce" a special. The smash pad is acting as your second control stick. The GameCube controller offers a control stick that is combined with your specials but it comes at the cost of your smash attacks.

Some characters benefit from having both smashes and wavebouncing.

Personally, I play a lot of characters so I want a control scheme that lets me do everything. So I found myself playing the wiimote+chuck.

@Mister E: I sense a troll. Care to tell us why we should use a GC controller?
Wow, so it even lets you have both. Awesome! I will try this out then. What characters benefit from wave bouncing out of the chars I use? So out of Jigglypuff, Bowser, Wolf, and Sheik-Zelda who is it useful for?

Just use a GC controller.
O RLY?

Mith_

Smash Champion
Set down on Dpad to jump and take tap jump off.

thats all you need really, your jump button is in the perfect position for attacks.

philly_yeah

Smash Rookie
C-button Tilt Failure argument

Ok, so I'll attempt to demonstrate that this config is ultimate by a series of assertions, which I'll post one at a time.

My first I will call the "C-button Tilt Failure argument".

As I was experimenting, I notice something that some of you probably already have. You can never assign to the C-button an action that is complemented with direction. The reason is simple.

Since the C-button is higher up, you'll end up twisting you wrist slightly every time you try to reach is. That will cause a slight tilt that will affect the direction you're trying to get.

An example would be
Assign Special to C. Take Mario as an example character. When you're trying to get back to the platform, you'll do Up-Special (in this case Up-C). Since there's a tilt in the direction, it will often happen that you'll hit the front-Special instead (which is the cape) because you'll actually be tilting towards the front. This could make you SD.

Because the C-button can't easily handle a simultaneous direction, it does not get assigned either of these:
Jump
Attack
Special

Mith_

Smash Champion
When I Wiichuck I never touch the C button it is in such a stupid position.

I would rather have a larger Z button than a C button.

Wiichuck is so stupid GCN is the way to go. My GC controller started working again so no more wiichuck yay.

Adapt

Smash Lord
The A+B can be a good grab button if you want to do "Z-drop" aerials when you have an item.
Jump, hit A+B and then release B. It works quite well for me anyway.

I am a Wiichuk user and all I really change is I take tap-jump off and set the D-pad to smashes.

If you use tap-jump, then the wiickuk is just as good as a GC controller and more comfortable imo.

RyanPF

Smash Journeyman
I would like to use the WiiChuck again, but I switched to GC and set the C-stick to tilts because I can't ever pull one off when I need it. (I'm addicted to tap jump) Is there a good way to break a tap-jump addiction?

The_Jiggernaut

Smash Ace
When I Wiichuck I never touch the C button it is in such a stupid position.

I would rather have a larger Z button than a C button.

Wiichuck is so stupid GCN is the way to go. My GC controller started working again so no more wiichuck yay.
Have you ever tried putting two fingers on the top of the numchuck section? One for C and one for Z? Also, the Z button IS bigger than the C button. It's much easier to use DACUS on; you don't need to change any config except smashes on the Dpad either. You can also Wavebounce and Dacus in one config with the wiimote, which you can't on the GC controler. Don't call the controller stupid when you just don't know what you're doing.

I would like to use the WiiChuck again, but I switched to GC and set the C-stick to tilts because I can't ever pull one off when I need it. (I'm addicted to tap jump) Is there a good way to break a tap-jump addiction?
My advice would be simply to turn it off and do some CPU matches trying different buttons for jump. You'll be able to re-learn how to jump without getting your butt kicked.

lmntolp

Smash Apprentice
Does anyone else use shake smash? I like using it sometimes because I don't even have to move my fingers, just my wrist, and it's good for dashing-canceled upsmashes (a button + shake up). it also lets me keep grabs, up-smash, and jump on the d-pad.

Julz

Smash Apprentice
The A+B can be a good grab button if you want to do "Z-drop" aerials when you have an item.
Jump, hit A+B and then release B. It works quite well for me anyway.

I am a Wiichuk user and all I really change is I take tap-jump off and set the D-pad to smashes.

If you use tap-jump, then the wiickuk is just as good as a GC controller and more comfortable imo.
I think it's more useful if jump is set to A+B but I guess that's just my opinion.

Example: For my ZSS, I do the Down Tilt to foward air combo by moving the control stick down and by pressing and holding A to then move my control stick to the side and pressing B quickly(to make a short hop).

A+B set to grab is also good with grab boosting but that's as situational as item combo's. So on my control scheme, 1+2 was set to grab and 2 to attack for grab boosting.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
best map to a wiichuck combo is to get a gamecube controller one , i hear it works 10x better

Julz

Smash Apprentice
best map to a wiichuck combo is to get a gamecube controller one , i hear it works 10x better
Not quite, you need to have shake smash on in order for it to have the same amount of capability as the smash-pad set up. I have used it for quite some time and I can definitely say that the GameCube mimic for the wiichuck feels much more comfortable than the GameCube controller.

Julz

Smash Apprentice
Whats the gamecube mimic control scheme? Oh, wait, is it a controller?
It's a control scheme for the wiichuck. It's usually the first step players take if they've been using the gamecube controller beforehand and wish to use something faster.

Here's what one may look like:

Up D-pad: Up smash (or grab if you can't use A+B)
Side D-pad: Specials
Down D-pad: Jump

A: Attack
B: Shield
A+B: Grab

ShakeSmash: On

What wasn't mentioned above would be on Default.

kupo15

Smash Hero
I love the Wiichuck. Trying the GC controller after playing with the wiichuck feels sluggish.

My setup from the default:
-Dpad down is jump
-Upad is Usmash
-No tap jump or shake smash

Ill try switching A+B to jump. Sounds useful as an All jump. The wiichuck may take more work but its fun!

The_Jiggernaut

Smash Ace
It's a control scheme for the wiichuck. It's usually the first step players take if they've been using the gamecube controller beforehand and wish to use something faster.

Here's what one may look like:

Up D-pad: Up smash (or grab if you can't use A+B)
Side D-pad: Specials
Down D-pad: Jump

ShakeSmash: On

What wasn't mentioned above would be on Default.
That just sounds weird! This is supposed to be like the GC controller? Seriously?

Julz

Smash Apprentice
That just sounds weird! This is supposed to be like the GC controller? Seriously?
First off, the Specials button will always be weird.

Jump is meant to mimic the Y button, A is directly under it. B is on the left. Shakesmash is meant to be the C stick since you'll be using the D-pad for other buttons.

The buttons are a little different but your fingers and thumbs do the same job they did with the Gamecube controller. The fingers are only for shielding. Your left thumb is on the control stick. Your right thumb controls jump, attack and special.

They also serve a purpose. The Attack button and Specials button have been placed so that they're really close to jump. Which lets you do Rising Aerials/Specials.

You can have anything you want on the Up D-pad since the GC had four buttons on it's right side whereas the wiichuck has 5.

I didn't like shake smash but I still wanted to do DACUS, so on my version I had:

Tap Jump: off
Shake Smash: off

Up D-pad: Specials
Side D-pad: Jump
Down D-pad: Down Smash

C: Grab
Z: Shield

In this version, Jump is pretending to be the X button.

Top Bottom