• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wikileaks ****s the USA over big time?

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
to put it short:

USA treats other countries like **** and now the whole world knows it
What do you mean 'now'?
LOL

If Americans had any sense they'd move up to Canada. I would feel so embarrassed if I were to be American.

It's interesting that some people think that releasing this information is essentially a terrorist act. I think its important for everyone to know the truth.

Colonel Cuddles

Smash Journeyman
LOL

If Americans had any sense they'd move up to Canada. I would feel so embarrassed if I were to be American.
Successful troll is successful. The USA does bad things to make it successful, they even admit it. But every other country does too. The USA just gets a bad rep for it because they're the current superpower. Hell, I'm sure even Canada keeps an eye on their allies too, it's just a smart move to keep your country safe, after all, your people are your first priority. Every country works in secret, and to rid of all confidentiality, the world would break into chaos and the whole world would need reform. No one's truly innocent.

Makaveli X

Smash Cadet
It just goes to show you the nefarious nature of world politics. The U.S was one of many countries that had information leaked about them. It's almost as if its a political game. As a country, if you do what's right and other countries don't, you get burned. If you do whats wrong by engaging in devious, manipulative, and malicious politics, you're going against what's right. It's tough. Which one would all of you choose? If not, do you think it's possible to find some middle ground?

Also, how much do you think this will effect relations with other countries?

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
Oddly this has reassured me about US and UK relations. There was a leak addressing how some of the British high class (not the MP's) were chattering about how the relationship is growing apart, but according the leak the US considers this nonsense, as do our MP's.

Generally so far the rest hasn't really affected me. Middle Eastern countries want to bomb each other? Next we'll find out the Pope is Catholic.

Rychu

Thane of Smashville
3DS FC
1908-0105-4965
Middle Eastern countries want to bomb each other? Next we'll find out the Pope is Catholic.

If I didnt love my sig too much, this would be my new one.
+5 awesome points to you.

GofG

Smash Champion
A warrant for Julian Assange's arrest has reached the UK, where he is suspected to be living. The US is calling for Wikileaks to be labeled a terrorist organization and for Assange to be tried for espionage. His bank accounts have been frozen. Paypal, Amazon have terminated contracts with him. The War of Information is being fought right now, and We the People are losing.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
Actually he was arrested 2 hours ago.

Anyway I find it suspicious that he hasn't gone to Sweden to clear his name already. He's had months yet he decided to hide it out here for some unknown reason.

Sounds pretty suspicious for a man suspected of **** charges if you ask me, if he's innocent and has nothing to worry about, why was he hiding?

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Because he didn't want to be arrested for "terrorist acts," most likely.

I love Wikileaks, and hopefully with the mirror system that they're doing now, it won't get shut down.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
Actually they withdrew the warrant once and re-opened it a week later. A whole 3 months before this Wikileaks scandal.

He has been avoiding the police because I guess being accused of **** is a pretty normal thing, and we should all fight for his right to ignore the justice system entirely because lol why not.

D

Deleted member

it's not so much that he is avoiding the **** accusations as that he put his priorities in wikileaks and being in jail doesn't help with that.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
He stated he already distributed the documents to many people that can continue to leak them freely if anything happens to him. Plus I'm pretty sure a lot of people would rather have other priorities than possible jail, but that still doesn't excuse him from completely ignoring these allegations and suspiciously hiding himself away in a different country.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Actually he was arrested 2 hours ago.

Anyway I find it suspicious that he hasn't gone to Sweden to clear his name already. He's had months yet he decided to hide it out here for some unknown reason.

Sounds pretty suspicious for a man suspected of **** charges if you ask me, if he's innocent and has nothing to worry about, why was he hiding?
Perhaps there is more it to than this, which is unknown to the public eye? I think Werekill's last point that they need something to pressure him with is accurate.
Leading WikiLeaks might not be crime per se but it's still a problem to the elites of politics and economy and they'd probably give anything to paint Assagne in a bad light. If he gets arrested for **** WikiLeaks will inevitably lose a lot of credibility and the aforementioned elites will have a trump-card against any revelation from that site.

Typically, I dislike conspiracy theories like this but I can easily imagine the whole "****" issue being made under the pretext to have a concrete case on him. It's well possible that they tried to prevent a major leak before it's too late. If I were in his position I would've certainly not gone back to Sweden to "clear" my name.

:059:

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
This case is very much in the public eye, if he's telling the truth he has nothing to worry about as the facts will prove that. And he cannot be extradited to the US for a completely different case, which makes it seem even more suspicious that he's avoiding these **** allegations.

If it turns out he did **** them then yeah Wikileaks will lose a lot of credibility, but that's what happens if you **** people. If I was him I would definitely be going to Sweden to clear my name.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
America treating other countries like trash: yeah, tell me something I don't already know. America (or rather, today's government and Congress) were practically born with the idea of power up their a**, and they get upset when someone reveals this in detail? Like, was this whole thing the "elephant in the room"? Because, frankly, I could've said this myself.

D

Deleted member

America treating other countries like trash: yeah, tell me something I don't already know. America (or rather, today's government and Congress) were practically born with the idea of power up their a**, and they get upset when someone reveals this in detail? Like, was this whole thing the "elephant in the room"? Because, frankly, I could've said this myself.
substitute america with china and you have the Nobel prize shenanigans

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Pretty ballsy of them.

Interestingly, Mastercard and Visa were protected by the US government in Russia for a bill.

The level of intrigue is amazing, but I found it interesting that one of the **** charges started with consensual sex.

Veril

Frame Savant
Julien Assange is hot. I'd harbor that fugative ;p

Avoiding Sweden is a very smart move on his part... not because of the bogus "****" allegations ("rage"), but because Sweden has a strong extradition treaty with the US.

Reaver197

Smash Lord
This only reveals the importance of needing free press, and what a shameful disgrace most of the American press has become.

Nihonjin

Striving 4 Perfection
BRoomer
In Sweden, the treshold for **** is pretty low. Having sex without a condom while she actually wanted a condom would be considered ****.
So basically, any girl you've slept with without a condom can claim she's got *****. As a matter of fact, any girl you've ever slept with period. Because how exactly are you supposed to prove any of that?

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
This whole incident is embarrassing in the way that it is handled.

Politicians whom, last year, were crying for China to unblock the internet and praising freedom of information are clamoring for WikiLeaks to be shut down.

The government is throwing out FUD everywhere, first claiming that the information puts lives at risk and decrying Wikileaks (then later admitting that it does not reveal any information that might put a foreign operative at risk), and then with politicians claiming that WikiLeaks has broken laws while being unable to pinpoint exactly which laws have been broken.

Then there's articles like this:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/12/06/AR2010120603074.html
This man should not have the right to call himself a journalist.

It's a pile of alarmist crap coupled with pseudo-computer-talk that is so outlandish it is practically sci-fi. He suggests that the government should hack wikileaks to put a virus on it that destroys the computers of viewers!

As John Gruber noted...why don't we try some old fashioned curses and spells while we're at it?

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
Julien Assange is hot. I'd harbor that fugative ;p

Avoiding Sweden is a very smart move on his part... not because of the bogus "****" allegations ("rage"), but because Sweden has a strong extradition treaty with the US.
You're muddling up "suspected" and "bogus". Also the UK has a much easier extradition treaty with the US so the people thinking that as soon as he reaches Sweden he'll be shipped off to the US seem to be entirely forgetting the fact that he's technically as his weakest right now.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Sort of beat you to it, Pluvia. By 9 hours. The guy who was coordinating's Facebook group, 2 Twitter accounts, and website were taken down.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Oh sheesh. A group of hackers called Anonymous? This reminds me of Oprah and 9000 penises.

Kid got what he deserved though. Poor thing, so young getting caught up in all this..

Top Bottom