• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Will Brawl die when Smash 4 gets big?

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamlon1

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3583-0365-0217
How will brawl thrive when Smash 4 gets big? With most if not all Brawl players getting into smash 4 and being successful will brawl just go away. It seems as if Smash 4 is progressing more and more and brawl is fading away with less and less players even playing brawl. As prog once said one of the hardest things to be is a melee player and a Brawl Player and I think it could be the same with smash 4 since smash 4 is its own thing and smash 4 is more on speed and spacing while brawl is being defensive and playing the waiting game it'll be hard for the players to play both Brawl and Smash 4 and since most of them found more of a home in smash 4 I believe they will abandon brawl.

Last edited:

Dragoomba

Smash Lord
No reason it shouldn't. Smash 4 is pretty much Brawl 2.0. Much faster and way better, there's nothing really redeeming about Brawl in this case.

Newt Floss

Smash Journeyman
Oh man. I'm surprised nobody told you. Are you sitting down? Brawl died a while ago. I'm sorry for your loss.

Timmay08

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Timmay08
I reckon it won't die but its popularity will depreciate to a point where it is close to dying. Definitions of "die" definitely differ from person to person and to me, dying means that it will never be played by me from now on. I may revisit it once in a while though.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
People still play Smash 64.

People will still play Brawl.

XxBHunterxX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bryan
3DS FC
2766-9402-2187
How will brawl thrive when Smash 4 gets big? With most if not all Brawl players getting into smash 4 and being successful will brawl just go away. It seems as if Smash 4 is progressing more and more and brawl is fading away with less and less players even playing brawl. As prog once said one of the hardest things to be is a melee player and a Brawl Player and I think it could be the same with smash 4 since smash 4 is its own thing and smash 4 is more on speed and spacing while brawl is being defensive and playing the waiting game it'll be hard for the players to play both Brawl and Smash 4 and since most of them found more of a home in smash 4 I believe they will abandon brawl.
brawl never really had a strong following to begin with so I think its safe to say smash 4 will take over. Project m is a different story though

Utena

Smash Apprentice
NNID
yurigod
smash 4 looks worse every day.
i hope thats just the ugliness of the 3ds blemishing a good wii u game tho

adamlon1

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3583-0365-0217
brawl never really had a strong following to begin with so I think its safe to say smash 4 will take over. Project m is a different story though
I hope smash 4 does take over it seems more fast and fluid than brawl while brawl is just playing the waiting game and seeing what your opponent will do rather than stop your opponent from doing it

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Brawl as a national competitive game in North America (that will be my focus on this post BTW) died largely after APEX 2014. I've heard of more Smash 64 tournament streams than Brawl ones since APEX 2014. I also can't think of 1 Brawl tournament that got over 5k simultaneous viewers since APEX 2014. In the meantime, Melee and Project M at Xanadu beat that number every week, and dozens of other tournaments have done the same.

Brawls death as a national level game happened because:
1. The lack of Brawl streaming (from major streamers, consistently weekly streams, monthly streams, and viewership).
2. The scene kept losing older players and not replacing them with newer players.
3. No Brawl nationals being planned after APEX 2014, with no organized movement or schedule to push this.
4. The money shift from Brawl to Project M and especially Melee and now Smash 4.
5. Lack of a demand and hype for Brawl (it is why sponsors and major events avoid it; it's perceived as "boring" and "old")
6. No plans to keep Brawl's scene together once Brawl's newness wore out (with the releases of Project M 3.0 & Smash 4).

I don't care what game we're talking about, that would kill any game's competitive scene at a national level.

Smash games promote each other, and the more we have that are national level, the better attendance, viewership, and interest tends to be across the board. A lot of the success of Project M and Melee nowadays came from Brawl's success and the scene's size, specifically Brawl's growth from 2010-2013. Fortunately for the rest of the Smash scene, that impact won't be too big, due to Melee just becoming HUGE, Project M being a consistent national level draw, and Smash 4 inevitably being a hit.

Still, Brawl's national level disappearance still hurts the community. With that success and size gone and in the past, Smash 4 won't have that opportunity and crowd to build off of, even with the new/recent Melee and Project M audiences.

As a consolation, APEX is always a reliable showing for Brawl, just like it is for 64. If some people who still love Brawl are smart, they can use APEX 2015 as a relaunching point for that game and create a schedule for local weeklies, monthlies, bimonthlies, and even national events in hopes of reigniting the Brawl scene.

We all know that would be what's best for the Smash scene as a whole. Without Brawl as a national game, nationally all smash games and most local scenes lose a potential market and audience. Let's hope that is curbed, hopefully soon.

Last edited:

InfiniteTripping

Smash Journeyman
The big problem with Brawl right now is that Wiis are increasingly not able to read the dual layered discs. Mine cannot read Brawl and many others are starting to crap out. Wii U exists of course but with the most popular controller for it unavailable on that system, I do not see much future for the game. Project M will get shut down any day now too.

adamlon1

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3583-0365-0217
The big problem with Brawl right now is that Wiis are increasingly not able to read the dual layered discs. Mine cannot read Brawl and many others are starting to crap out. Wii U exists of course but with the most popular controller for it unavailable on that system, I do not see much future for the game. Project M will get shut down any day now too.
Actually it is possible to run PM on a dolphin emulator so PM will not die yet although for brawl well they might as well just start digging a grave with that problem and the possibility of smash 4 replacing it Brawl is in some deep ****

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
The game will be as dead as Smash 64 is.

Wait no, that's wrong, at least we're going to have small Smash 64 tournies show up at our major events. Nobody is going to host Brawl side tournies.

Brawl is quite quickly going to become the least played of the 4 Smash games. Leave it and forget it.

Lord Horatio

Smash Apprentice
Melee has more staying power due to its preferable mechanics and Project M pretty much kills Brawl because it fixes all of Brawl's flaws. I think even Smash 64 fares better since that was the first one and most people (myself included) became Smash fans playing that one.

Last edited:

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral
Actually it is possible to run PM on a dolphin emulator so PM will not die yet although for brawl well they might as well just start digging a grave with that problem and the possibility of smash 4 replacing it Brawl is in some deep ****
This is not to mention that modded Wiis can run PM off Brawl ISOs too. PM isn't going anywhere.

BSP

Smash Legend
Smash 4 is a straight upgrade to Brawl. Not much, if anything, was lost, and what is there to go back to?

OP MK
IC infinites
Planking
Tripping
Random input delay (really hope this was fixed in Smash 4)

Brawl had a good run, but there's no reason for it to continue.

Utena

Smash Apprentice
NNID
yurigod
most chaingrabs were fine tbh especially falcos and d3s.... pika on fox and marth on ness/lucas was dumb but whatever.

Gerpington

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1719-4002-0052
But Smash 64 was a good game
Sm4sh plays like a vastly superior brawl. I honestly think this logic is correct.

smash 64 has a unique feel.

Melee has a unique feel.

Brawl had one, but sm4sh for truly feels like an improved version of it. I honestly think sm4sh will capture the hearts of the majority of the brawl players....so yes, I do believe sm4sh will take over where brawl left off.

Chilex

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Chilex
The literally only thing Brawl has over Smash 4 is the closer blast zones.

You have to admit though, blast zones are a decent point. If the Wii U version fixes this issue as well as incorporates more feedback from the smash community (like landing lag), then Brawl pretty much has no chance.

C_Mill24

Smash Journeyman
NNID
C-Mill24
3DS FC
3609-1632-1621
The literally only thing Brawl has over Smash 4 is the closer blast zones.

You have to admit though, blast zones are a decent point. If the Wii U version fixes this issue as well as incorporates more feedback from the smash community (like landing lag), then Brawl pretty much has no chance.
I personally liked the stage selection in Brawl than in Smash 4 (3DS specifically). I think that is another positive aspect of Brawl.

Chilex

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Chilex
I personally liked the stage selection in Brawl than in Smash 4 (3DS specifically). I think that is another positive aspect of Brawl.
The Wii U version looks like it'll have triple the fair stages that the 3DS version has.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Not really a constructive topic to have in this section.
It's not going to promote any solid discussion whatsoever, if I was in a more stricter mood right now I'd be handing out like 5 infractions for all the "jokes". BLEH.

It is unfortunate, but it is for the most part the truth. Brawl may have some revival, but at this stage most people feel as if Smash 4 envelops Brawl in playability, but who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom