• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Will Brawl outsell Halo 3 ?

EDreams

Smash Journeyman
I don't know where you're getting that "Both PS3 and 360!" thing from, but both the 360 and Wii have each sold about 13 million copies worldwide (I screwed up on my 15 million earlier, but the same analogy I was making still applies) as of September 30. Check Wikipedia, it has a source.

Unless you'll now claim Nintendo sold 5 or more million Wiis in three months while nobody got the 360 at all >_>

Pretty much everyone who has a Wii says the 1 game they are defiantly going to have in their stock of games is brawl
Who is everyone? I seriously doubt all the people who own a Wii even know what Brawl is. You could claim the same thing about 360 owners and Halo, but that clearly didn't happen, even with it's huge hype.

Brawl isn't really being hyped to everyone. The DOJO and a demo aren't hype.

Zanibas

Smash Cadet
But then again, not EVERYONE posts on the internet =P

I didn't even know what Melee was until my friend showed me, and that was around, 2005?

Tobi-

Smash Ace
I don't know where you're getting that "Both PS3 and 360!" thing from, but both the 360 and Wii have each sold about 13 million copies worldwide (I screwed up on my 15 million earlier, but the same analogy I was making still applies) as of September 30. Check Wikipedia, it has a source.

Unless you'll now claim Nintendo sold 5 or more million Wiis in three months while nobody got the 360 at all >_>

Who is everyone? I seriously doubt all the people who own a Wii even know what Brawl is. You could claim the same thing about 360 owners and Halo, but that clearly didn't happen, even with it's huge hype.

Brawl isn't really being hyped to everyone. The DOJO and a demo aren't hype.
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3162770

Even despite nintendo's wii's shortages, it still outsold both whom both had full in stock.

It's an article from september. I don't know if 3 months made wii not outselling it.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
lol @ "it sucks" being you guy's reason for saying it won't sell.

how very objective of you.

halo doesn't 'suck'. if it did, no one would have bought it when it first came out. You know why fanboys exist? because of GREAT GAMES.

i doubt brawl will outsell halo 3

EDreams

Smash Journeyman
Tobi- said:
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3162770

Even despite nintendo's wii's shortages, it still outsold both whom both had full in stock.
9 million for the Wii, 8.9 million for the 360
That's not a large difference. The difference since hasn't changed much.

And Brawl still isn't being hyped to more than just people who would buy it anyway.

Tobi-

Smash Ace
That's not a large difference. The difference since hasn't changed much.

And Brawl still isn't being hyped to more than just people who would buy it anyway.
it may not be a large difference, but it still outsold it.

same with brawl. If halo 3 sold 5 million, and brawl sold 5.1mil, you will say not by much, but the fact is still there, that it outsold halo 3.

of course, just a bunch of speculation. Just gonna have to wait. Basically, if wii was in full stock like the other 2 systems, who knows how much more it could of sold.

EDreams

Smash Journeyman
same with brawl. If halo 3 sold 5 million, and brawl sold 5.1mil, you will say not by much, but the fact is still there, that it outsold halo 3.
I'll say it again: Brawl is NOT BEING HYPED as much as Halo 3. Not even close. I'm of serious doubt that many non-hardcore Wii owners even know of the game's existence.

Brawl won't sell 1/3 of the Wii's total worldwide sales because casual gamers don't even know about it. If it does, I'll be glad, but surprised.

Danbearking0

Smash Apprentice
1. 2 games from different genres can't be compared.... EVER
2. every1 who bought halo 2 and has an xbox 360 bought halo 3 day 1
3. ssbb is more childish.. thus parents have to buy it for their kid where as halo the 16+ year olds buy it themselfs
4. smash bros is ub3r 1337
5. halo is ub3r 1337
6. chew on that you wii lovin' notzie's

*edit*

7. Brawl will EVENTUALLY sell more copies then halo 3 because wii > xbox 360... in sales of coarse :p

jay~B

Smash Journeyman
I did not post this thread to compare the types of games, its just stupid to compare an FPS with a game like brawl, i posted it to see if you think brawl will SELL more

I never said anything about comparing the two

PS: I played halo 3 before and it is a f_cking amazing game but 4 all the people who keep saying that halo 3 is better and brawl will not beat the # of copies it sold, y don't u wait 2 see if they end up putting ur fav. or another xtremely wanted character like bomberman or krystal and then decide

Tobi-

Smash Ace
I'll say it again: Brawl is NOT BEING HYPED as much as Halo 3. Not even close. I'm of serious doubt that many non-hardcore Wii owners even know of the game's existence.

Brawl won't sell 1/3 of the Wii's total worldwide sales because casual games don't even know about it. If it does, I'll be glad, but surprised.
The amount of hype doesn't always determine it's sales. Also, I don't know where you are getting that casual gamers don't know about it. There isn't some statistic or fact that says this. Actually, Chances are that you think this is because you don't see that much hype from casuals. Casuals don't necessary post " I love brawl!!" everywhere. There are alot of people who I thought didn't know brawl exists and proved me wrong.

jay~B

Smash Journeyman
1. 2 games from different genres can't be compared.... EVER
2. every1 who bought halo 2 and has an xbox 360 bought halo 3 day 1
3. ssbb is more childish.. thus parents have to buy it for their kid where as halo the 16+ year olds buy it themselfs
4. smash bros is ub3r 1337
5. halo is ub3r 1337
6. chew on that you wii lovin' notzie's

*edit*

7. Brawl will EVENTUALLY sell more copies then halo 3 because wii > xbox 360... in sales of coarse :p
If u think halo 3 is better y aren't u in a halo 3 fansite u a$$hole ur in a SUPER SMASH BROS. BRAWL website!!!

sonicspeed 96

Smash Journeyman
Brawl will never climb over Halo. Don't be ridiculous.

Your blatantly biased opinions that Brawl is a better game don't mean anything. People will still buy Halo 3, and people will continue buying and playing Halo 3, your opinions on it be ****ed. Brawl doesn't have the same hype or appeal, and it's silly to think the only reason people bought Halo 3 was because of fanboyism.

Most of Brawl's fanbase are Nintendo fanboys, which makes perfect sense. It's a game that celebrates Nintendo history. Halo fanboys, people who enjoy Halo, and people who have heard of Halo far, far outnumber the people that can say the same of Brawl.
Wrong.Brawl will be a best seller. Look at Meele its been about 6 years and its still a best seller people buy it could its a non stop game that never ends. And now with wi-fi it WILL be endless.

Danbearking0

Smash Apprentice
If u think halo 3 is better y aren't u in a halo 3 fansite u a$$hole ur in a SUPER SMASH BROS. BRAWL website!!!
did i say halo 3 is better??????

i said, "1. 2 games from different genres can't be compared.... EVER"
so you are a noob who can't read that accuses people of being a hipocryte.... or im a hipocryte....

swf is a SMASH BROS website ja n00b

EDreams

Smash Journeyman
The amount of hype doesn't always determine it's sales. Also, I don't know where you are getting that casual gamers don't know about it. There isn't some statistic or fact that says this.
Yes, it does. Hype sells. Advertising sells. Even the average review score on Metacritic is a major selling point to casual consumers.

There isn't some statistic or fact that shows casual gamers know about Brawl either. But why would they? Where has it been advertised besides alongside other games in Wal-Mart booklets? Where's the commercials? Where's the Wii console messages, SSB on VC? When was Brawl a household name, and do you see it mentioned often, if at all, in casual conversation from other people?

I don't have a statistic. But I think those count for something.

Because people aren't allowed to like more than one game?

Look at Meele its been about 6 years and its still a best seller people buy it could its a non stop game that never ends. And now with wi-fi it WILL be endless.
The original Halo is still being bought, has had online since the start, and still has a competitive community of people still playing it. So does Halo 2. I'm not sure about Halo 3, but there's no denying it definitely sold.

You act like people have forgotten about Halo.

DiscoShark

Smash Apprentice
Pretty much everyone who has a Wii says the 1 game they are definitely going to have in their stock of games is brawl. Same as how nearly everyone who owned a gamecube had melee.

but who knows, we gotta wait.
What a silly comment. What you're trying to tell me is that of every soccer mom, person looking to lose weight, or completely new gamer who got the Wii solely for Wii Sports has 1. HEARD of the Smash franchise, and 2. Is interested in the SLIGHTEST to pick up a fighting game with Nintendo franchises most of which they've never even HEARD of? Don't be ridiculous. Your definition of "everyone" seems to be extremely limited.

Danbearking0

Smash Apprentice
imo: halo sold so much cause the older players dont wait for their mommies to go to the store and buy it for them.... while brawl ( a MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH more childish game little kiddies wait a month or 6 to get their game)

but it WILL sell more in the end cause every1 that has a wii will get brawl (pretty much every1)... cause wii has more consels sold i think

Lord SeBz

Smash Journeyman
Maybe during the first months, brawl will not outsell halo 3.
BUT, in the long run, i´m willing to bet brawl will outsell H3. Why? because not everyone checks the dojo, and not everyone knows about SSE, Sonic and stuff like that. When Brawl comes out and it´s secrets with it, the hype will start to increase.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
What a silly comment. What you're trying to tell me is that of every soccer mom, person looking to lose weight, or completely new gamer who got the Wii solely for Wii Sports has 1. HEARD of the Smash franchise, and 2. Is interested in the SLIGHTEST to pick up a fighting game with Nintendo franchises most of which they've never even HEARD of? Don't be ridiculous. Your definition of "everyone" seems to be extremely limited.
Do people have to be so condescending on these boards?

Anyway, I don't think so, not in the USA at least, but we'll see.

jay~B

Smash Journeyman
did i say halo 3 is better??????

i said, "1. 2 games from different genres can't be compared.... EVER"

swf is a SMASH BROS website ja n00b
Did u not see what i said when did i start comparing their game genre, i said if u think brawl will SELL more.

U said ''ssbb is more childish.. thus parents have to buy it for their kid where as halo the 16+ year olds buy it themselfs'' any1 can buy halo 3 not just 16 yr. olds, u really think we follow the ESRB ratings?
u also said '' every1 who bought halo 2 and has an xbox 360 bought halo 3 day 1'' this is not true i know tons of people who had halo 2 and couldn't get halo 3 for whatever reason. and wtf is ''chew on that you wii lovin' notzie's'', if u want brawl u need a wii, can't even spell NAZI'S!

This all sounds as if u like halo 3 better

Tobi-

Smash Ace
Yes, it does. Hype sells. Advertising sells. Even the average review score on Metacritic is a major selling point to casual consumers.

There isn't some statistic or fact that shows casual gamers know about Brawl either. But why would they? Where has it been advertised besides alongside other games in Wal-Mart booklets? Where's the commercials? Where's the Wii console messages, SSB on VC? When was Brawl a household name, and do you see it mentioned often, if at all, in casual conversation from other people?

I don't have a statistic. But I think those count for something.
Where has it been advertised
It is 3 months away. I don't know, do you see a game being advertised commercial 3 months ahead of time?

When was Brawl a household name, and do you see it mentioned often
Because it isn't out yet..You say Melee, Everyone will know what you are talking about. Melee is indeed a "household" name.

You are stating your opinion as if brawl is 1 week from being released. We still have December, January, and February. It isn't going to be massly hyped yet despite all the parody flashes, being on the news,(yes, brawl was on yahoo!news), and what not.

But of course, if you say "halo", everyone will know what you are talking about simply because Halo is a major icon for xbox, and only has had 3 games, as compared to if you would of said mario...

Don't be ridcious and underestimate brawl.

every soccer mom, person looking to lose weight, or completely new gamer who got the Wii solely for Wii Sports has 1. HEARD of the Smash franchise, and 2. Is interested in the SLIGHTEST to pick up a fighting game
Those don't necessary represent the casual gamers. Those don't sound like gamers at all. Casual gamer is someone who likes the game, plays it often, but not obsessively and not hardcore. You can reverse that same statement as if it were xbox.

Danbearking0

Smash Apprentice
Did u not see what i said when did i start comparing their game genre, i said if u think brawl will SELL more.

U said ''ssbb is more childish.. thus parents have to buy it for their kid where as halo the 16+ year olds buy it themselfs'' any1 can buy halo 3 not just 16 yr. olds, u really think we follow the ESRB ratings?
u also said '' every1 who bought halo 2 and has an xbox 360 bought halo 3 day 1'' this is not true i know tons of people who had halo 2 and couldn't get halo 3 for whatever reason. and wtf is ''chew on that you wii lovin' notzie's'', if u want brawl u need a wii, can't even spell NAZI'S!

This all sound as if u like halo 3 better
first a 8 year old kid can't buy halo cause it is M for MATURE... and parents are not gonna buy a M game for their 8 year old kid while they will buy brawl for them.... anyway does it matter if you follow esrb... parents DO
second you are just being controdicting... because if you bought halo 2 then you know how great it is and all your freinds "peer pressure" you into buying it... i dont have halo 3 cause i dont have a 360 but my friends make me want to buy it cause they say its awesome
last **** you for that last spell check.... you are a douche bag you.
people like you are the reason for terrorists

ron561

Smash Journeyman
Lol why is everyone debating about sales still?Obviously the people on here who care bout sales, but aren't gaining anything from SSBB selling good are just fanboys who think the higher sales means the better game.

Tobi-

Smash Ace
Lol why is everyone debating about sales still?Obviously the people on here who care bout sales, but aren't gaining anything from SSBB selling good are just fanboys who think the higher sales means the better game.
then why are you here?

besides I could care less if halo 3 sells more. but I do have a opinion and I feel I need to state it, which is nothing wrong with doing that. after all, this is a forum discussion.

Mattnumbers

Smash Master
Edreams is an idiot

Have you even been to Metacritic recently?

currently Super Mario Galaxy is the best scored on the site and halo 3 is number 6 out of all the xbox 360 games!

If people rely on metacritic then they would have all bought bioshock, COD4, etc.
________
Suzuki GT380

ron561

Smash Journeyman
I'm here because this is the topic getting the most posts right now and some of the post are downright funny :laugh:

Machspeed

Smash Lord
For a person picking up Halo 3, without playing the two prequels, it's just any ordinary FPS. Some people think it's not as good as they wanted it to be. Many people just picked it up in pure fact that they know how awesome 1 + 2 were.

If you've played Bioshock, Crysis, Half Life 2, or COD4 you'll understand where I'm coming from.

I doubt SSBB will sell more but it will come **** close.

Danbearking0

Smash Apprentice
game review's only look at The game right here right now nothing else

they dont see the billions of ppl online that play not to mention friends
think of halo as a dating website... by that i mean no one really likes the website, they just like the ppl they have on it... you get what im saying?

Spellman

Smash Ace
Halo 3 has had the best launch, and Smash Bros. 3 won't be able to top it I don't think. However, in the long run, Halo 3 as a first person shooter will have plenty of competition in the future, and most people will want the latest and most technologically advanced one on the market. There will only be one game like Brawl, and once people see it in action and more people want it, it will probably pass Halo 3 in sales. I'm talkin' long run numbers here though, could take up to 4 years. It will be the title to own for the Wii, if you don't completely buy into the statistics that only grandmom's mom's bought the console. I don't buy those stats from E3 by the way, I never seen anybody behind the cash writing down the fact that I am a teen/young male buying a Wii for these magical statistics.

EDreams

Smash Journeyman
Have you even been to Metacritic recently?

currently Super Mario Galaxy is the best scored on the site and halo 3 is number 6 out of all the xbox 360 games!

If people rely on metacritic then they would have all bought bioshock, COD4, etc.
Ha, clever subject title! Attempting to disable your opponent's opinion with childish insults, what a great debate tactic!

I suggest you read this. It's what I'm referring to, and it has statistics to back it up.

I said that it's a factor, not the be-all, end-all. Super Mario Galaxy hasn't really been hyped, and while it's one of the best Mario games so far, I'm not surprised it's off to a horribly bad start. I'd also personally blame Sunshine, but that's just me being biased.

sfox8

Smash Journeyman
I don't think it will immediately. Probably not even in the first year. Halo 3 is the most hyped game ever. I'm pretty sure it'll take a while for Brawl to catch up. I do, however think that Brawl will EVENTUALLY catch up to Halo 3 sales. Brawl is a game that is never going to get old, just like Melee. Even more so with online play and stage building so I think that in a few years, once Brawl has been given some time and Nintendo has been given time to produce enough wiis to meet demand, Brawl will begin to catch up to Halo 3 or even outsell it.

Magnacor

Smash Ace
Wii = Targeted at All Audiences

Xbox360 = Targeted at the Hardcore/Young Audiences

Brawl = Semi-Casual/Competitive Audience

Halo 3 = Hardcore/Young Audiences

Not all of the people who want a Wii want to fight Nintendo Characters.

And of course, not all who has a 360 want Halo 3, but then again, many do.

Different audience, hard to tell who will outsell, until it is done =P
Ugh. I don't like the way people are using the term "hardcore gamers" nowadays. Hardcore means dedicated not "one who plays nothing other than violent shooters." If the only game I played was Winnie the Pooh's Rumbly Tumbly Adventure (Which I don't own by the way.:lol:) I could still be a hardcore gamer. Use the word correctly or I will be forced to use the angry smilies. Also, Smash is not just for the younger audiences. I know a couple of "hardcore gamers" (as you put it) who are getting the game because Snake is in. Lastly, (as demonstrated from the amount of people defending Halo on this board) many "hardcore gamers" play Smash as well as Halo.

How many soccer moms looking to lose weight or grandma trying to practice bowling for the Elderly Bowling Finals do you know that own a Wii? You make it sound like they are the only people that own a Wii. That being said, most soccer moms are, in fact, moms and most moms -call me crazy- have children. Children who may eventually bug their parents (or grandparents) to get the game so they can play it.

Halo 3 has had the best launch, and Smash Bros. 3 won't be able to top it I don't think. However, in the long run, Halo 3 as a first person shooter will have plenty of competition in the future, and most people will want the latest and most technologically advanced one on the market. There will only be one game like Brawl, and once people see it in action and more people want it, it will probably pass Halo 3 in sales. I'm talkin' long run numbers here though, could take up to 4 years. It will be the title to own for the Wii, if you don't completely buy into the statistics that only grandmom's mom's bought the console. I don't buy those stats from E3 by the way, I never seen anybody behind the cash writing down the fact that I am a teen/young male buying a Wii for these magical statistics.
Amen.

Now to close my statements, I don't find Halo all that great. It is a great FPS, but there are a lot of great FPS's these days since "hardcore gamers" seem to rule the market. I feel ike I'm forgeting something... Oh yeah, the question that was asked by the thread creator before it went horribly off-topic. I think that Brawl will not sell as much as Halo opening week, though it will come close, but it will sell more in the long run.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
I am going to tell you...
as soon as the anti-brawl @$$3$ see The "Certain Mature Aspects" Of Brawl..... I am sure they will get a Wii. For everone else....
Lets just say that SWF is not even 5% of the entire Smash community. There are probably over 3 Million people that do no kn0ow SWF Exists. So expect Brawl to sell more than Halo.
I am an intelligenc and I win this Plate of Brownies *takes*

Teh Uber Parachuter

Smash Cadet
Ugh. I don't like the way people are using the term "hardcore gamers" nowadays. Hardcore means dedicated not "one who plays nothing other than violent shooters." If the only game I played was Winnie the Pooh's Rumbly Tumbly Adventure (Which I don't own by the way.:lol:) I could still be a hardcore gamer. Use the word correctly or I will be forced to use the angry smilies. Also, Smash is not just for the younger audiences. I know a couple of "hardcore gamers" (as you put it) who are getting the game because Snake is in. Lastly, (as demonstrated from the amount of people defending Halo on this board) many "hardcore gamers" play Smash as well as Halo.

How many soccer moms looking to lose weight or grandma trying to practice bowling for the Elderly Bowling Finals do you know that own a Wii? You make it sound like they are the only people that own a Wii. That being said, most soccer moms are, in fact, moms and most moms -call me crazy- have children. Children who may eventually bug their parents (or grandparents) to get the game so they can play it.

Amen.

Now to close my statements, I don't find Halo all that great. It is a great FPS, but there are a lot of great FPS's these days since "hardcore gamers" seem to rule the market. I feel ike I'm forgeting something... Oh yeah, the question that was asked by the thread creator before it went horribly off-topic. I think that Brawl will not sell as much as Halo opening week, though it will come close, but it will sell more in the long run.

I think that you are missing several key points:

1. What some people have been pointing out is that owning a Wii =/= wanting Brawl, and owning a 360 =/= wanting Halo. However, it is a logical assumption to make that more people will look for Halo 3, due to it's previous popularity and it's status as the "face" of Xbox (honestly, when most people think about Xbox, Halo quickly comes to mind).

2. The soccer mom reference was an attempt to point out the fact that the Wii has been marketed as a real "party game" system. With the exception of games such as LoZ: TP, Super Paper Mario, and Metroid Prime 3, most games have been aimed toward the party game angle i.e. Wario Ware, Wii Sports, Rayman. Hell, even games like Madden are shells of their 360/PS3 counterparts, because of the whole motion sensor deal. It's a gift and a curse in that it's really fun to play with...but it's really fun to play with. This leads many people to want a Wii simply for the novelty of it, not for the Nintendo name on it.

In all, it is the perception of the Wii by some as just a really fun gimmick console, and others by a well made Nintendo console that will ultimately undercut some of the people who would buy Brawl. This is why Sakurai has been implementing features that will appeal to those who have never picked up Smash before, in efforts to overcome this perception that Microsoft, and Sony have avoided.

To answer the topic's question, I think Brawl outsells Halo, purely due to longevity. Bigger and better FPS's will come and go, while there will only be one Smash. That will be the ONLY thing that swings the sales in Brawl's favor.

Top Bottom