• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Will Brawl outsell Halo 3 ?

sonicspeed 96

Smash Journeyman
I totally think Brawl will outsell Halo 3.
I know Halo's a good game but look at Melee it's still a best seller!
And if Brawl is anything what Melee was except it to outsell Halo 3.

EDreams

Smash Journeyman
The misconception that people somehow forgot about Halo a few years after it's release is ridiculous. They didn't. It's far more remembered than Melee is.

I think Half-Life's better, and I got an expensive computer just to play Bioshock, but these are facts. The original Halo still has a larger community of competitive players than Smash, whether you like that fact or not.

Where's your proof?
"According to Microsoft, first-day sales of Halo 3 reached $170 million in the U.S., setting the record for highest gross of an entertainment product within 24 hours of its release."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halo_3#Sales

Yes, before you point it out, it says 'in the U.S.' But the Wii and 360 have nearly the same global sales numbers, and if Brawl can't match that number quickly here, it won't match it anywhere else.

And people aren't going to stop buying Halo.

The only people who claim Halo 3 to be as good as it is, are people who have been following the series since the first one; someone new to playing Halo thinks it's just any ordinary FPS.
The single player, probably, but I don't think that's what everyone is focused on.

Machspeed

Smash Lord
The single player, probably, but I don't think that's what everyone is focused on.
Your missing nothing on Halo 3 multiplayer that's not in other FPS' today. Have you tried Call of Duty 4 Online or Team Fortress 2?

I find Halo 3 multiplayer a bit TOO similar to Halo 2.

gigasteve

Smash Ace
Melee was the top seller for GCN, so my hopes are high.
I pre-ordered Brawl:)

Danbearking0

Smash Apprentice
smash bros melee = no cliffhanger
halo 2 = ZOMG FINISHING THIS FIGHT IS GONNA BE UB3R 1337... PWN W/ SPARTAN LAZORZ.. ZOGM 4 PLAYER CO OPAAS=ADAKFSL;DJKLFS
ECT...

think of halo as a keg of beer... you drink it and you are buzzed for long time... then a day later... no more buzz...

think of ssbb as a product on the home shop network... sure you wait anticipating the fine merchandise for several weeks for it to come. then when it comes you think its awesome for several months then the craze fades

metaphores brought to you by pot.... that **** makes everything better

Agent 47

Smash Apprentice
i'm hopin that brawl will satisfy my taste for several months as melee did. i have no doubts that it will outsell halo 3 in the long run.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
The only reasons threads like these show up is because of insecurity. I've never seen a "Will smash outsell Halo?" Thread on the Xbox or Bungie forums. Even if people don't like Halo there [Xbox forums] they can turn to other Xbox games. If Brawl were to flop Wii owners would have very little to turn back/ look forward too.

Personally if I find out Brawl flops before I get a Wii I'm just going to buy a Gamecube and a 360. I can't handle only getting like 5 games worth playing a year.

Luthien

Smash Ace
You're asking this on a SMASH forum? And I'm assuming you're expecting an unbiased answer?

Good luck to you.

Anyway, I haven't read this entire thread, but I've noticed at least a few people have used logic and intelligence for they're answers. At any rate, Jay~B, go ask this on a Halo site and see what answers you get. And thank you, EDreams, for pointing out that Halo and Smash are not competing.

Firebert

Smash Ace
The only reasons threads like these show up is because of insecurity. I've never seen a "Will smash outsell Halo?" Thread on the Xbox or Bungie forums. Even if people don't like Halo there [Xbox forums] they can turn to other Xbox games. If Brawl were to flop Wii owners would have very little to turn back/ look forward too.

Personally if I find out Brawl flops before I get a Wii I'm just going to buy a Gamecube and a 360. I can't handle only getting like 5 games worth playing a year.
I recommend a Wii over GCN. There will be no more new GCN games and the wii is backwards compatible. Also, the wii has other features besides games.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
Melee has sold ~6 million copies worldwide.

Halo 3 has already sold over 6 million copies worldwide.

I don' t know how much better you guys think Brawl will sell than melee, and I agree that sales of Brawl will not decrase as rapidly as sales of Halo 3 after launch, but purely because Brawl will not sell close to that good at launch...

Brawl will not sell half of what Halo 3 did. End topic.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
The reason I'd buy a GCN is because mine is broken and I can probably buy another one for less than $80 dollars just so I can play my old GC games, rather than paying $250 for a system with very few good games.

If I buy a GCN that's only one less 360 game I can afford, but if I buy I Wii I probably won't be able to even afford a 360 [I can't be greedy, my mom would kick my ***].

Chasesin

Smash Apprentice
yep,
there are alot more age groups that will buy it
halo 3 just had teens and up
brawl will have 5 year olds (saddly) and people of all ages

Magnacor

Smash Ace

You don't see any "Brawl vs Halo" topics because they would get anhilated by the the ravenous Halo fanyboys who are completely oblivious to any game without an M rating or made for Xbox. Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess, Super Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, and that upcoming Star Wars game should satisfy you if Brawl did flop (which it won't). In my opinion (my completly biased, Nintendo fanboy opinion lol) there are much more fun games to fall back on, on the Wii as opposed to the 360.

The Kirby Kong

Smash Journeyman
No way Brawl will outsell Halo 3.

Why? Because Halo 3 had a single release date.
Now we know that Brawl has different release dates for Japan, America, Europe and Australia.

So it's certainly not going to beat Halo 3 in sales for day one.

Now then.. how do they compare when disregarding the first day?

I have no idea, but I can say with all certainty that neither even come close to the insane World of Warcraft sales. ;p

jay~B

Smash Journeyman
I will continue to say that i never started to compare their different genre's, and i am not comparing the types of games, im comparing their sales( 4 brawl expected sales)

Magnacor

Smash Ace
I will continue to say that i never started to compare their different genre's, and i am not comparing the types of games, im comparing their sales( 4 brawl expected sales)
They know but, then someone always makes comment like "Don't worry Brawl will be way better then Halo" or someone'll say "You can't compare two games from different genres and the topic goes off-topic from that point on. My advice: Don't ever mention Halo again. It's a taboo in any non-Halo disscussion forum.

evilflame101

Smash Journeyman
Brawl will not sell half of what Halo 3 did. End topic.
Your ignorant to post such a close minded comment...

I think it will eventually because it is smash bros, melee was out for 6 years and i know a ton of people who play it daily. The one thing they must do is advertise, because alot of people who played smash 64 and loved it, never knew melee came out, and had no idea a new one was coming out. If you advertise it enough, it will sell more then halo 3, because smash has always been great, but now its even better.

BTW its quality not quantity, so it might not sell more copies but it will probably get better ratings, look at how much Mario galaxy owns. I do not dought nintendo.

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord
Your ignorant to post such a close minded comment...

I think it will eventually because it is smash bros, melee was out for 6 years and i know a ton of people who play it daily. The one thing they must do is advertise, because alot of people who played smash 64 and loved it, never knew melee came out, and had no idea a new one was coming out. If you advertise it enough, it will sell more then halo 3, because smash has always been great, but now its even better.

BTW its quality not quantity, so it might not sell more copies but it will probably get better ratings, look at how much Mario galaxy owns. I do not dought nintendo.
EVERYONE knew of Melee. It was the bets selling game on GCN, yet it only sold 6 million copies in all the years it was there. Halo 1 sold nearly tha same amount as Melee, and Halo 2 sold more than Melee. Not to mention, part of Melee selling so well was because it was the only half-decent game on the Cube.

Brawl won't even come close to Halo 3's figures. I love Smash and actually don't like Halo that much, so it's not a biased statement, but Halo is more popular than Smash, and will sell much more.

komickid

Smash Apprentice
Well not right off the bat but over time brawl will win because ssbb is timeless while in 3 years halo will just be another successful fps.

Cereal Rabbit

Smash Lord
Yeah, like most would say. People would play Halo 3 until the 4th one possibly comes out. Brawl will be a life time game.

Brawl will eventually out sell Halo 3.

Pengie

Smash Lord
Overtime it will but not in the first week. Halo 3 had massive hype and was being advertised like crazy, Brawl on the other hand probably won't be advertised as much.

jay~B

Smash Journeyman
Overtime it will but not in the first week. Halo 3 had massive hype and was being advertised like crazy, Brawl on the other hand probably won't be advertised as much.
I get ur point, but we don't know how much their gonna advertise it yet

I hope that they make a regular ''wii would like to play'' comercial and other comercials, like for example,
''The next best game ever'' or ''get ready for the next Super smash bros.'' Something like that

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
Oh gosh...

There wont be a Halo 4, or at least not in the same form. Halo was a trilogy.

Why will Brawl be a lifelong game? I dont think it's even going to last as long as Halo 3 concidering Halo has a much larger fan base, not to mention a much better online system.

The only reason Brawl would ever outsell Halo 3 is if a better FPS game came out for the 360 and divided purchases in the FPS genre. Brawl has no competition. So I dont see what there is to brag about the SMALL possibilty of Brawl outselling Halo. Given a choice between the two games, most would chose Halo.

But what the heck. Go Brawl!

Magnacor

Smash Ace
Why will Brawl be a lifelong game? I dont think it's even going to last as long as Halo 3 concidering Halo has a much larger fan base, not to mention a much better online system.

Sakurai:
You can create your own stages this time?! No way. REALLY?! With a feature like that, won’t I be able to play this game forever?!
Melee lasted me 5 years and seeing as how Brawl will have more characters, a buttload of items, an infinite number of stages, online mode, unlockable music, trophies, stickers, and an extensive single player mode.

Halo has less levels, less weapons, no unlockables (to my knowledge), a single player mode and an online system that is slightly better then Brawl's.

Halo has some good points, but not nearly enough to make it come close to lasting as long as Smash will.
Sakurai:
That's the shocking truth.

jay~B

Smash Journeyman
Oh gosh...

There wont be a Halo 4, or at least not in the same form. Halo was a trilogy.

The only reason Brawl would ever outsell Halo 3 is if a better FPS game came out for the 360 and divided purchases in the FPS genre. Brawl has no competition. So I dont see what there is to brag about the SMALL possibilty of Brawl outselling Halo. Given a choice between the two games, most would chose Halo.

But what the heck. Go Brawl!
Wat r u talking about, do u even know how much melee lasted, until today it is still gc's best seller.
There is people out there that don't know about brawl and who love playing melee, when brawl comes out thousands of SSB lovers will be like wtf? how come i didn't know! U have to consider that there is still people out there who follow brawl but don't know about dojo, or who just don't know brawl exists yet but if they did they would have no life until Feb. 10 like us!

EDreams

Smash Journeyman
I love how people are using the "GC's best seller!" argument without paying attention to two very basic fasts:

- The Gamecube was in dead last compared to it's competition
- 50% of Xbox owners bought Halo 1 at the same time they bought an Xbox, and the game was easily the Xbox's best seller over the system's entire lifetime

It doesn't matter if it was the best the GC had to offer. Your opinions on how long-lasting Brawl is also don't translate into sales, which is what this thread is about. Nintendo needs to seriously pick up the pace when it comes to their advertising if they want Brawl to get somewhere. And I don't mean in competition with Halo 3, of course.

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord
Melee lasted me 5 years and seeing as how Brawl will have more characters, a buttload of items, an infinite number of stages, online mode, unlockable music, trophies, stickers, and an extensive single player mode.

Halo has less levels, less weapons, no unlockables (to my knowledge), a single player mode and an online system that is slightly better then Brawl's.

Halo has some good points, but not nearly enough to make it come close to lasting as long as Smash will.
Melee was big for 5 years. Halo 2 was much bigger for 4 years, and that was only because a sequal came out to replace it.

It's not a contest of who has the most levels and stuff. Halo's online makes it more popular to gamers. Now speaking of online, I have to address what caught my eye the most in your post:

"AN ONLINE SYSTEM THAT IS SLIFGHTLY BETTER THAN THE WII's" Are you serious?1 Halo/MS's online DESTROYS Wii's. It can't even compare. To say that Halo's online is only 10x better than Wii's is an insult to it. If you owned both systems like me, you could compare them better.

Just some of the things Brawl's online is lacking as opposed to Halo's:

No ranking system
No leaderboards
No user names
No voice
Barely any customization for online matches
Can't add people you play with randomly
Can't comunicate at ALL with people who aren't on your friend's list.
No lobbies
No custom searching for matches
No public/private match options
Bad process of how to join matches with poeple

etc etc etc

Wat r u talking about, do u even know how much melee lasted, until today it is still gc's best seller.
That doesn't mean much because in 6 years it sold 6 million ccopies. Halo sold 5 milluion copies and then it's sequal Halo 2, came out 2 years later and sold 8 million copies. Halo games have a much larger fanbase (I'm not part of it though) and sells at a bbteter rate than Smash games.

jay~B

Smash Journeyman
Melee was big for 5 years. Halo 2 was much bigger for 4 years, and that was only because a sequal came out to replace it.

It's not a contest of who has the most levels and stuff. Halo's online makes it more popular to gamers. Now speaking of online, I have to address what caught my eye the most in your post:

"AN ONLINE SYSTEM THAT IS SLIFGHTLY BETTER THAN THE WII's" Are you serious?1 Halo/MS's online DESTROYS Wii's. It can't even compare. To say that Halo's online is only 10x better than Wii's is an insult to it. If you owned both systems like me, you could compare them better.

No ranking system
No leaderboards
No user names
No voice
No lobbies

etc etc etc

That doesn't mean much because in 6 years it sold 6 million ccopies. Halo sold 5 milluion copies and then it's sequal Halo 2, came out 2 years later and sold 8 million copies. Halo games have a much larger fanbase (I'm not part of it though) and sells at a bbteter rate than Smash games.
idk, sounds to me like we have ourselfs a halo fan, and for u EDreams the ''melee was gc's best seller'' arguement is not used losely, in fact the other day i saw people actually asking if they have it in stock at gamestop. Besides now that brawl has wi-fi alot more people will buy the game, if u find that Halo 3 is better then mayb u should go play it instead of being here, a real fan would say something like ''I really want it too but i don't think so''

TamJammerz

Smash Apprentice
We're talking about two different console games with two entirely different genres... A decision like this can't be concluded this early :p

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
well loook at the target audience for each halo has fps fans and halo fans smash bros has nintendo fans old school gamers kids and any apreiciator of awesomeness. completley off topic but does anyone understand my sig? if so do you think i should change it? sorry but its been bugging me ever since i joined

Demoncannon

Smash Ace
also remember that people (even halo fans) said that Halo 3 was a bit of a let down, it was only due to the multi player online system that got halo 3 all those copies sold so fast. Without it, it would have not sold much and Smash bros has a wider group of fans and will they know they wont be let down.

StellaNova

Smash Journeyman
I like both equally and play both equally in terms of time, but come on people. It is a dream maybe... a distant, imaginative wish that Brawl will outsell Halo 3. Time will tell, though if it were a money bet, I would be placing all I have that Halo 3 sells more.

Magnacor

Smash Ace

No ranking system
No leaderboards
No user names
No voice
No lobbies

etc etc etc
Alright, I'll admit it. From the looks of it, Halo's online will pwn Brawl's online (we can't say for sure, since we haven't seen it in action, but it's a safe bet). However that was not my point. My point was that there are less things that will make Halo last as long as Brawl. After a few years Brawl could very well have a larger fanbase due to many people realizing that there are many games in the same genre that are just as good as Halo, if not, better. However, there will never be any game in the genre that is as good as Smash because there is no game like Super Smash Bros.

Demoncannon

Smash Ace
the halo series is ended now no more will come after halo 3, plus they're releasing a halo film for the fans, Smash bros will out sell Halo 3. It been long awaited by many and it will fly off shelves... a fact, in the U.K. halo 3 had a rough time in the top 10 games list, from release it was 3rd then fell down, it had its rises but kept falling.

Kevin

Smash Journeyman
I highly doubt that Brawl will sell better than Halo 3, but as the poster above stated, it may catch on later as there aren't many games of this genre, while there are a ton of FPS/Third-person shooters.

The halo online system is much better, as well as everything on live. I'd like to think it's mainly because a gold subscription costs money, whereas Nintendo's online is free.

Personally though, I'd play Smash Bros Melee over any Halo games if I had the choice. Halo's still fun though.

ricydafrog

Smash Journeyman
yes brawl will outsell halo3 ther's no question about it
and for all u noobs who r saying we shouldn't be competing think about it. these 2 games are the representatives for the systems. if brawl outsells halo3 then it will be a huge slap in the face to everyone who has every dissed the wii system

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord
idk, sounds to me like we have ourselfs a halo fan, and for u EDreams the ''melee was gc's best seller'' arguement is not used losely, in fact the other day i saw people actually asking if they have it in stock at gamestop. Besides now that brawl has wi-fi alot more people will buy the game, if u find that Halo 3 is better then mayb u should go play it instead of being here, a real fan would say something like ''I really want it too but i don't think so''
I assure you I am not at all a Halo fan. I played 5 minutes of 1, about an hour with my friend of co-op for 2, and haven't touched 3. II didn't care much for them. I liked PDZ better than them. I admit, that I am a 360 Fan. Don't get me wrong, i grew up with Nintendo and love Zelda, and Smash, but system to system, I choose 360 over Wii.

"if u dnt like brawl teh bestest out of n e game ever then leev teh forumz!!!"

If you like a game over Brawl, that is no reason to leave the forums and go play it. I choose Nintendo above any of the three companies, but I always hated how Nintendo fanboys are the worst of the three. They go on about how terrible everyhting about every other system is and can't see anyhting good about them, or anything wrong with Nintendo. While playing Gears of War with friends and strangers that I can actually SPEAK to, I'd mention Brawl, and a lot of people would say how they like the Smash series. You don't have to align yourself with only one game and hate everything else.

yes brawl will outsell halo3 ther's no question about it
and for all u noobs who r saying we shouldn't be competing think about it. these 2 games are the representatives for the systems. if brawl outsells halo3 then it will be a huge slap in the face to everyone who has every dissed the wii system
Wow..... Pease explain, why you think that Brawl will even sell HALF of what Halo 3 sells.

Top Bottom