• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Will Brawl outsell Halo 3 ?

TheMuffinMan0311

Smash Apprentice
Sales have a lot to do with the quality of the game, if the game sucks no one buys it but if it is like brawl then people like us will wait for it anxiously to own a copy
And? Neither Halo 3 or Brawl suck, so I don't see your point.

A_Sah_ Shi

Smash Rookie
I don't know. I mean, it wouldn't surprise me, but I it's definitely not guaranteed. But I don't think it really matters. I mean, I care about whether or not it gets better ratings than Halo 3 (which I think it will), but sales I never really pay much attention to.

courte

Smash Lord
one question:

we ARE talking about worldwide right?? Because I don't know how well Halo 3 sold in Japan, [I hear they don't like the 360] but I'm pretty sure that whole country is cool with Nintendo. :D

mario brawler

Smash Journeyman
Playing Brawl until I have a seizure,nah im kiddin
so does halo 3 :( but halo 3 has more "everlasting" replay value because of the forge and theatre opion... which totally exeeds what brawl will bring
okay halo 2 came out in 2004 people today still play it wow it been like 4 years pretty impresive however SSBMELEE came out in 2001that's 7 years!and brawl being much better then melee it's gonna have much more replay value

Papapaint

Just your average kind of Luigi.
okay halo 2 came out in 2004 people today still play it wow it been like 4 years pretty impresive however SSBMELEE came out in 2001that's 7 years!and brawl being much better then melee it's gonna have much more replay value
People still play Halo 1. People still play Counterstrike. People still play Super Mario Bros. People still play Grand Theft Auto. People still play FFVII.

Melee is not some grand record-setting unbelievable replay game...

mario brawler

Smash Journeyman
Playing Brawl until I have a seizure,nah im kiddin
People still play Halo 1. People still play Counterstrike. People still play Super Mario Bros. People still play Grand Theft Auto. People still play FFVII.

Melee is not some grand record-setting unbelievable replay game...
Im talking about smash bros and halo,not counter strike(never heard of it -.-),FF,or GTA and frankly none of those games are comparable to melee or halo 2

Desruprot

Smash Lord
Melee continued to be popualar for 7 years, which is a long time concidering a lot of other games came out that could have conflicted with it, but Melee just kept selling... Brawl has higher poltential overall then Halo 3 currently has (mainly since teh 360 is so expensive)

Ilneva

Smash Rookie
I think Halo3 was too recent for Brawl to outsell it. Had Halo 3 come out 2 years ago, then I would say there was a good chance, but with the way the market is right now, I really don't see it. I hope I am wrong though. Another thing to consider is the inability of some to actually find a Wii to buy which will lower sales in the beginning. Right now, there is still not enough supply for the demand when it comes to the Wii.

Genesai

Smash Apprentice
What the hell is this thread turning into?

This is nothing more than a Brawl Vs. Halo 3 thread...

MattVid

Smash Rookie
1) Why the hell are people comparing a "crappy FPS" game with a brawl/fighting game? They are in two different categories on two different systems.

2) People need to learn math, apparently. Some of the first posts from EDreams was saying that "1/3 of XBox owners bought Halo 3, so 2/3 of Wii owners need to buy SSBB to overcome that". Umm, what are you smoking, hook me up! Why would SSBB have to sell to MORE consoles than the XBox 360 if they have sold more consoles to being with? That is the most rediculous thing I have ever heard. There is a reason there are XBox/PS3's laying on shelves, and you can't find a Wii anywhere. If 2/3 of Wii owners buy Brawl, it will have sold over 2x the amount that Halo 3 has.

3) I think the "replay" values of both games is irrelevant to sales. I expect SSBB to sell consistently for a long time, rather than all of the copies at once (however, there will definitely be a surge of buying, so get those pre-orders in). Look at how Melee sold, it will be much like that. You can and do see Melee selling at stores even 7 years later!

My personal opinion on Halo ... I laugh at "Halo 3 being a good FPS game". It isn't even a real FPS. FPS games on consoles are for the people that can't afford a real gaming machine, a computer. When compared to classics like Half-Life or Quake, and newer games like Crysis; Halo 3 is utter trash. And you use flippin' joysticks on a console controller to play, ahahaha, it is pathetic really. Metroid on the Wii is far better just because of the "light gun" or "arcade shooter" feel. I guess I was never one to buy a console system for shotty controls (like the XBox and PS have had since the beginning). You cannot, ever beat an FPS on a computer with an XBox or PS3 controller.

I bought a Wii for something revolutionary. I didn't want to get some crappy XBox or PS3 that has worse graphics than any high end PC, as well as the worst control scheme in the history of the world. And people buy these systems for FPS!? Wake up, buy a computer!

spacemanspiff

Smash Journeyman
I agree, but not right away. With each month, Brawl will get closer and closer, Halo fans probably all bought Halo 3 (don't flame me, but that's what it seems like) right away, while Brawl fans will proliferate.
i agree. especially for those who slacked on buying a wii (like myself) untill now because wii's are sold out EVERYWHERE...or at least they are in canada. i unno what its like in the states but i think it'll take a while for the sales to surpass halo just because wii's are so hard to find

Desruprot

Smash Lord
Five Million Wiis were just sold in Japan, the superior system remains the Wii, besides the magaize Fematsu thingy revealed their monthly selling and the Wii is still far superior...

Folt

Smash Ace
I hope that it does outsell Halo 3 (because then I get to say "In your face" to everyone who
claims that it is the best game ever), and it has the chance, but it won't happen right away I think. I'll get it anyway so I'll be of help, like every other member on this board.

Nilok

Smash Journeyman
so does halo 3 :( but halo 3 has more "everlasting" replay value because of the forge and theatre opion... which totally exeeds what brawl will bring
Actually no, it dosn't. My friend has Halo 3 and we use to play it a lot when it came out, however Halo 3 kidna sucks and stoped playing it outright. The reason it had such good sales was becouse it was the last chapter of Halo and was a Halo game.

I have high hopes that Brawl will rightfully surpass Halo 3, it has a large base already in Japan, and if Nintendo markets it though advertisement in America soon, it will also have a larger group of people buying it here.

If the second condition is met, I feel that Brawl will surpass Halo 3, if not it will at least come close and give more advertisement to Brawl.

courte

Smash Lord
it's all a matter of preference... FPS appeals to those people who are used to the adrenaline rush a challenge and so forth, and there are certain variables which extend the replay value... however impo i feel that there is simply not as much diversity in gameplay... combo a bullet with what?? one four other moves?? i will say yes i am anti-fps and the whole first person perspective concept, and i was only interested in halo, which i bought 1 and 2 and reserved three, for the story, which was eh at best... the character of master chief was really the only selling point with his personal awesome but smash has the random factor and possibility of never having the same match twice where as in FPS it's usually hunter and hunted

Ilneva

Smash Rookie
it's all a matter of preference... FPS appeals to those people who are used to the adrenaline rush a challenge and so forth, and there are certain variables which extend the replay value... however impo i feel that there is simply not as much diversity in gameplay... combo a bullet with what?? one four other moves?? i will say yes i am anti-fps and the whole first person perspective concept, and i was only interested in halo, which i bought 1 and 2 and reserved three, for the story, which was eh at best... the character of master chief was really the only selling point with his personal awesome but smash has the random factor and possibility of never having the same match twice where as in FPS it's usually hunter and hunted
Ding, Ding....exactly, it is a matter of preference. The original question in this thread , however, was will Brawl outsell Halo 3, and simply based on what I have read, I stick to my conviction that it won't at this point in time, but may in the long run.

pcamtz

Smash Apprentice
Hell yeah!

Is Halo 2 still selling? I don't think so, so as soon as Halo Wars is out, I think Halo 3 will reduce it's sales.

Brawl on the other hand will sell ans sell and sell, just like Melee did, or more.

And besides, Brawl appeals to a much wider audience, firstly because Wii sells more than the 360, and second, Halo appeals to a certain group of FPS lovers, who although large, it's limited. Brawl appeals to every single Nintendo fan, and to the mayority (if not all) of Wii owners, cause let's get real, there are far more casual Smash player than we think.

(For the record, I know Halo Wars differs from Halo 3, but in my eyes they're the same, so take that into consideration :laugh:)

Absolute~Zero

Smash Rookie
Brawl will not sell half of what Halo 3 did. End topic.
and how do you know this for a fact. Smash bros is the most fan based game on the planet. Smash bros, the meuseum of nintendo and seeming now a lot more games. Sonic and other people that arent from nintendo. its imposible to tell if this game is going to be better than halo and vise versa because the game isnt even released yet.

moneysworthless

Smash Rookie
There ARE a lot of casual Brawl players, and I'm one of them Practically
everyone who has a Wii (that I know) is getting the game for one reason or another. People are already bagging Halo 3 as crap, Call of Duty 4 is apparently seen as the better game. National sales might not go for Brawl, but if you go worldwide, I'd be shocked if Halo was even close.

S0crat3s

Smash Apprentice
Brawl will not sell NEARLY as many copies as Halo 3.

Not even close.

Halo sold millions more in 2 months than SSBM sold in its lifetime.

And halo is STILL SELLING
And you remember that Melee is a GCN game? And Halo 3 is:

-Rated M

-Just another FPS out of millions already available on the 360

-Only appeals to the American audience

And if it is anything like its predecessor, it'll sell a ton in the first few weeks, but not much afterwards (whereas Melee still sells today)...

S0crat3s

Smash Apprentice
HELL NO i play melee all the time matter of fact i plan to play it today, but because a game got boring it doesnt refund the sales once you've bought it that statistic already counts. Halo 3 story sucked but people preordered around the world before they knew that and bought it the moment it came out.

Because the storyline sucked it didnt stop people from buying it, because people love online play more than anything else it didnt stop people from buying it, thats why its the top selling video game of all time.
No, the original Super Mario Bros. has sold the most copies...

Yes.

Halo 3 bombed in all PAL regions and Japan, and after selling an amazing 3.3 million, it's losing to Wii Play and Pokémon Diamond and Pearl on a month-by-month basis.

Brawl will sell millions in Europe, more than a million in Japan, and many, many millions in North America. It will definitely outsell it. Maybe not by too much, but it will.

S0crat3s

Smash Apprentice
Yes brawl will be a better game no contest with that brawl will **** halo 3 but the irony is it wont sell as much copies.
Do you forget that Halo only sells in America? Everywhere else (except France, they have a moderate size FPS fanbase as well), Wii has been dominating the competition...I think Halo 3 will dominate Brawl initial sales in the US, but Brawl will still be selling long after Halo 3 has fizzled out...

okiyama

Smash Ace
Reasons it could:
Brawl will be bought by almost everyone that owns a Wii much like Halo 3 with 360, but more Wiis have been sold than 360's/

Melee sold only 2 million less than halo 2 and 2.1 million less than halo 3. It's realistic that Brawl could get 2 million more fans assuming that it keeps the current trend Smash64 4.89 million sold, melee 6 million sold then brawl would be about 7 million sold. Source

Wifi, this will most liekly boost sales.

Reasons it couldn't
Not enough hype, they don't have commercials in America.

Halo 3 got much more hype by unveiling it in a big way(the tatoo) and having all those T Shirts sold with the release date on the back of them.

If it follows the current trend of Smash game's sales it will only have about 7 million sales, 1 million less than halo 3.

Overall I think it could go either way.

Not enough hype, they don't have commercials in America.

Uh? They're definitely going to have commercials.

Halo 3 got much more hype by unveiling it in a big way(the tatoo) and having all those T Shirts sold with the release date on the back of them.

Halo 3's hype didn't last, and the update system did an amazing job of keeping people hyped.

If it follows the current trend of Smash game's sales it will only have about 7 million sales, 1 million less than halo 3.

Halo 3's not sold 6 million.

Gedennnnn

Smash Journeyman
Of course not! Everyone here would have to buy about 20 copies each just to hold a candle to it, but I think over time it eventually will out sell it.

S0crat3s

Smash Apprentice
It might outsell Halo in the LONG RUN because the Wii's been so popular.

There's more Wii systems out in the market and world than there are 360s. So naturaly, since the game contains a heavy selection of characters for children (Pikachu, Mario and etc) it will obviously sell more eventually. But it won't be THE FANS that will make it outsell more. It'll be random folk that just want to get their kid a birthday present or something.

Whilst Halo though, had more FANS buy the game than randomers.

Out of 100 people I know that have a 360, 90 OF THEM are Halo fans from either 1 or two - and even the BETA. Whilst the other 10 just simply didn't like shooting games. Halo sold like an outragous amount in one day, Brawl WILL NOT BEAT THAT. But in the long run, since there are more Wii systems, it will probably outsell it eventually...

See what I'm saying?
Do I detect ignorance? Apparently...

"Nintendo only appeals to little kids." You mean that only little kids play Zelda, Mario, Pokemon, Metroid, etc.? Nintendo is universal..."Zelda and Metroid I can understand, but Pokemon and Mario?!" There are way more adult Pokemon players that play it as a technical, thinking man's game than you would think, and saying that the grandfather of videogames, the plumber that this and the past generation have grown up with is for little kids?! You must understand that Nintendo makes quality games for everybody, and just because they aren't as bloody and gory as Half Life 2 doesn't mean that they're for the diaper and lunchbox generation...

Top Bottom