• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Will Heavy Gravity Mode Become the Standard

westcoastchamp

Smash Rookie
Brawl is not meant to be Melee. It is a different game, and I understand that. But as a vet of Melee, I can't help but feel Brawl is too slow. And then I discovered heavy gravity mode. Short hops are shorter, and the characters move more similarly to Melee. I think this may be the mode that competitive players will eventually come to use.

If you haven't tried it yet I suggest you do. So far I like heavy gravity better than playing regular mode.

Note: Marths double fair does not work in heavy gravity mode.

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
No.

Brawl's competition will always suck no matter how you bend it.
There is no future for Brawl's competitive scene.

pirkid

Smash Lord
Definitely not, High Gravity screws over most recoveries and changes overall balance.

I don't know, I find Brawl not much different then Melee.

PukeTShirt

Smash Journeyman
i tried high gravity mode, and i honestly didnt like it. Instead of it making it feel like the melee engine, it just seems to ruin the brawl engine. Yes, the short hops are shorter and what not, but with the new move properties it kinda screws everything up more than it helps. And honestly, yeah brawl is slower, but it doesnt feel unbearably slow, so I dont see the standard moving from default to high grav

NeoHippie41

Smash Apprentice
NNID
HaikuWarrior
I've adjusted to Brawl's default physics already and like how it feels, I don't see me playing Heavy Gravity at all.

Yeah so have I. It only took me like 3 matches too. People are overreacting so much to the news physics. Brawl doesn't feel slow to me at all.

And people who say there won't be a competitive Brawl scene are just indulging in their own self pity.

jupiter

Smash Apprentice
"I think this may be the mode that competitive players will eventually come to use"

? ? ? ? ?

hahaha, give it more time, dude. No way in hell would people be that desperate to gain a "melee" feel from brawl in a tourney. It's a funny thing to imagine, though. "Must. Have. Melee! *enables heavy gravity* Must. Have. Melee" <--Desperate???

WarxePB

Smash Ace
If high gravity is the only way to make Brawl viable for competitive play, then I'm sure that most people will agree to put it on (even if it restricts certain characters' recoveries). However, I am absolutely positive that the metagame will EXPLODE in the next few months, and we'll find the depth we need without having to alter the fundamental gameplay.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
I love how everybody keeps on trying to turn Brawl into Melee.

Different games. Melee was too fast, and for newer players it was hard to understand the commotion. In case you hadn't noticed, the entire sales pitch of the Wii is that games are for everybody now. They're getting new people into gaming, and you can expect many Nintendo games to accommodate that.

And Brawl? It's a good game. Just different physics. If you don't like it, then don't play it.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
You'd rather play a Melee rip off that gimps most light characters and technically limits your playing more than just a normal Brawl, rather than actually play Melee?

Kind of sad.

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
No, it won't. Go play Melee for what it is and play Brawl for what it is. If you want deep competition, definitely go play Melee.

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
I love how everybody keeps on trying to turn Brawl into Melee.

Different games. Melee was too fast, and for newer players it was hard to understand the commotion. In case you hadn't noticed, the entire sales pitch of the Wii is that games are for everybody now. They're getting new people into gaming, and you can expect many Nintendo games to accommodate that.

And Brawl? It's a good game. Just different physics. If you don't like it, then don't play it.
Some games? If Nintendo can diminish Smash, it can diminsh everything!

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Heavy gravity would be unfair for certain fighters.

Also, I can't understand why people are bashing Brawl just because it lacks some of Melee's mechanics. Seriously, you should all appreciate the work that Sakurai did with the game.

Ichida

Smash Ace
This entire thread is hilarious, though I admit there's a healthy balance between the sides.

LouisLeGros

Smash Journeyman
Just play melee instead if you really are getting to the point of playing Brawl with high gravity.

Melee is better for competitive play, this has been discussed at great length. It is more then just the "floaty" feel that makes this true. Changing the gravity won't fix this, Sakurai designed the game to even out the playing field and make it be an approachable game for anyone.

inb4 butt hurt melee fan who can't adapt and misses wavedash

alchfilosofer

Smash Ace
You'd rather play a Melee rip off that gimps most light characters and technically limits your playing more than just a normal Brawl than actually play Melee?

Kind of sad.
then you rater to play a rip-off of SSB64 than the original 64?

Kind of sad (yes your post is so stupid to compare to that.)

and people BRAWL IS NOT MELEE2.0, IT WASN'T MADE TO BE MELEE2.0, THE CREATORS DO NOT WANTED AN MELEE2.0 AND WILL NEVER BE MELEE2.0. You know why halo 3 sucked so much, because is was like halo2.5. If you can't adapt, and if you don't like it, the don't play it and stop complainig like idiots

Senshuu

Smash Journeyman
I had almost no problem adjusting to Brawl's "slow" and "floaty" physics. I wonder why people keep bringing it up? One Brawl, adjusted, done. One has to be very fixated on the other games in order to make such a big deal out of it.

I think the last time this was brought up, the general consensus was "no".

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
then you rater to play a rip-off of SSB64 than the original 64?

Kind of sad (yes your post is so stupid to compare to that.)

and people BRAWL IS NOT MELEE2.0, IT WASN'T MADE TO BE MELEE2.0, THE CREATORS DO NOT WANTED AN MELEE2.0 AND WILL NEVER BE MELEE2.0. You know why halo 3 sucked so much, because is was like halo2.5. If you can't adapt, and if you don't like it, the don't play it and stop complainig like idiots
I'd rather get you a reading comprehension class, as I was clearing talking about high gravity mode and not Brawl in general.

Top Bottom