• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Will Little Mac be banned from tournaments?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
I personally don't care, I'm happy for all the fans, and its just nice to see a new Smash character anyway.

But still, since he has a one-hit KO move, do you think he'll be banned from tournaments? Is that considered unfair?

"His biggest feature is his Power Meter. When this gets charged up, his standard special move changes! It turns into a one-hit-K.O. uppercut."

Last edited:

oxyborb

Smash Ace
NNID
oxyborb
3DS FC
4124-5009-7204
The one hit KO sounds like a terrible idea. Hopefully that charge meter goes very slowly and that it has a tight range.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I have an exellent idea, let's change the subject.gif

Just let us enjoy him. Besides, did a OHKO stop Ganondorf? Didn't think so.

Katy Parry

NNID
justysuxx
The one hit KO sounds like a terrible idea. Hopefully that charge meter goes very slowly and that it has a tight range.
It's a neat mechanic, and it seems it would be more fun for casual players; so I personally am I all for it.

But to have a one hit KO AND final smash? Just seems OP imo.

Do you think you'll be able to have an option to play without his power meter?

Cloudy

Smash Apprentice
Too soon to think about this.... but I dont think he will be banned. And that one hit KO must come with something "bad" to balance him. We'll see.

BlitznBurst

Smash Ace
"Hey guys, do you think [CHARACTER] will be banned in tournaments????"

Every ****ing time.

Last edited:

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
Lmao!
No man.

He won't be banned. If he misses or it gets blocked I assume he completely blows his chance at using it for awhile. It has reactable start up, and the big flashing "KO" sign over Macs head atleast tells the other player when he's got it ready.

Don't get me wrong, it still looks stupid as hell to get hit by, but he ain't gonna be landing it for free at high levels.

In casual play, I can see that being a pain in the ass though. Lol.

Last edited:

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
Way too early to make assumptions about this. We should just trust Sakurai (and Namco) on this.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Lmao!
No man.

He won't be banned. If he misses or it gets blocked I assume he completely blows his chance at using it for awhile. It has reactable start up, and the big flashing "KO" sign over Macs head atleast tells the other player when he's got it ready.

Don't get me wrong, it still looks stupid as hell to get hit by, but he ain't gonna be landing it for free at high levels.

In casual play, I can see that being a pain in the *** though. Lol.
I kinda see it as a Powerful Falcon Punch + Raptor boost... with a LONG charge time. It's going to be hard to land, like you said, but so SWEET to land in competitive....

Katy Parry

NNID
justysuxx
"Hey guys, do you think [CHARACTER] will be banned in tournaments????"

Every ****ing time.
Everytime? Really? Since when does every character have a one HIT KO they could possible save on an opponent who was just lost a stock. I'm seeing the potential that it can kill at 0%, so yes, I'm wondering if people think he'll be banned from tournaments.

I don't see how this is an "everytime" type of thing.

Twewy

Smash Lord
I think that his crappy air-game and the fact it (apparently?) goes away if hit balances it.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Dear god. First of all, no. Secondly, it probably works like Punch-Out!! in that it decreases if you get hit, much less die, so it's probably not like you can save it forever. Thirdly, you can see his power meter, so any opponent who's not dumb will watch for opportunities for him to use it. Fourthly, it says and shows in the video that his air game and recovery are terrible. It's not like he's going to be an unbalanced mess. Have some faith.

oxyborb

Smash Ace
NNID
oxyborb
3DS FC
4124-5009-7204
Do you think you'll be able to have an option to play without his power meter?
When Project M for Wii U comes out... lol. I never play with Smash Balls on. I find them to be so annoying, making my hard-won kills into cheap shots. I hope that his KO uppercut isn't as OP as it seems to be.

Davidreamcatcha

Smash Ace
Do we even know how he charges? Let's see some gameplay before speculating on stuff like this. Sakurai would probably call DK's neutral special a one-hit-KO too.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
If you guys pay attention to the trailer you'll actually realize that it's a pretty balanced mechanic in 1 v 1 situations since he literally has to charge it right in front of you face. Go to 1:45 and take note of how it takes 3 full seconds to get the punch off. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmtrmAvL5aw#t=118

Probably gonna be a ***** to deal with in free for alls though. lol

Last edited:

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
Ganon's Neutral-B was very close to a OHKO move (I know its not really one, but over 40%... you're basically KOed) And it was like the worst move in the game. Even Puff's rest in Melee was basically a OHKO move, and could be hit with just a solid read, or bad DI on the up-throw on certain characters. Mac wont be banned (see Metaknight). TBH, with a bad recovery and from what I can assume, a bad aerial game, He'd probably High-Mid tier at best. Well now, I cant really assume his tier placement already, that'd be dumb. But going off of previous tier list. Hed probably be around where DK is, whether that is high or low I cant really say.

Last edited:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Everytime? Really? Since when does every character have a one HIT KO they could possible save on an opponent who was just lost a stock. I'm seeing the potential that it can kill at 0%, so yes, I'm wondering if people think he'll be banned from tournaments.

I don't see how this is an "everytime" type of thing.
He meant that every now and then whenever a character is revealed/confirmed, someone makes a topic asking if said character will be OP/banned or something without having complete knowledge of how their moveset works. It's annoying as hell.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I personally don't care, I'm happy for all the fans, and its just nice to see a new Smash character anyway.

But still, since he has a one-hit KO move, do you think he'll be banned from tournaments? Is that considered unfair?

"His biggest feature is his Power Meter. When this gets charged up, his standard special move changes! It turns into a one-hit-K.O. uppercut."
Relax bro! You would think such mechanic would take time to fully build up.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Fast faller, bad air game, horrible vertical recovery, low jumps, possible light weight.

While he my be dominant on the floor, he seems to lose options fast in the air. Might be easy to edge guard.

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
He seems to have quite a good jump from what we can see. If he is a heavy fast faller along with his horrible recovery and bad air game, then... Well, I probably wouldn't see him banned. He probably won't be regardless if he is way too good since Meta Knight wasn't banned for long in Brawl. I just hope that his OHKO is easy to punish if he misses.

Komenja

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Komenja
We'll really just have to wait and see after the game comes out and people have figured out all the aspects of how Mac functions.

I'm going to say no, though.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Do we even know how he charges? Let's see some gameplay before speculating on stuff like this. Sakurai would probably call DK's neutral special a one-hit-KO too.
Well, actually, it seems to me like he's charging it by holding B. That's just me, though.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Yeah.... I don't think so since Olimar has to be over 50% to die from a full charged punch with no DI. Anybody can live from a Donkey Kong charged Super Punch until like maybe 70%
I think he's pointing out the fact that Sakurai stated it's a one-punch-KO, when it clearly isn't, and comparing that to Little Mac's Star Punch.

But, like I said earlier, this one may actually be a true OHKO. But, like I said even earlier, that doesn't necessarily means LM will be at top tier.

Last edited:

Katy Parry

NNID
justysuxx
I think he's pointing out the fact that Sakurai stated it's a one-punch-KO, when it clearly isn't, and comparing that to Little Mac's Star Punch.

But, like I said earlier, this one may actually be a true OHKO. But, like I said even earlier, that doesn't necessarily means LM will be at top tier.
Well it says it can be a one hit KO for DK. Can be.

I doubt they'd focus on having a super move type mechanic that builds as he's damaged if it didn't one hit KO. I think its related to Aura somewhat.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
lol at this whole thread.

Knockout punch will come out on frame 1 and KO anybody it hits, or break their shield. It also has 0 cooldown.

nat pagle

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0834-1759-2409
This is absolutely ridiculous, he is not going to be banned over this move. It's a glorified Falcon Punch and it takes way too much prep to pull off. Even if it does hit, it doesn't break down the game, people can work around it quite easily.

If we were to ban any character for having an OP insta kill move, it would have been Jigglypuff in Melee. 1 frame rest that could kill sub-20% is pretty darn strong.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
I'm personally hoping it's as advertised.

Neutral B = [Relatively quick move, true OHKO, builds meter the more damage you do, lose meter as you take damage].
IFF True
then
Neutral B = [Good move in concept, makes Mac very combo oriented with a guaranteed finisher against all opponents that could be combo'd or thrown into. Together with his anti-camping kit that lets him plow through projectiles, Mac will definitely be the gold standard for rushdown.]
ELSE
//Insufficient data
exit discussion

Can y'all tell I'm doing my CS homework right now?

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
It may be legit as advertised. But there may be ways around it.

Looks like the move hits with an extreme amount of damage, but could negate the knockback effect if you're at relatively low damage. Say, pre-50%. Its slow charge + startup leave him vulnerable and it may be blocked, dodged, or countered. Makes me think his Neutral Special punch will be similar to Makoto Nanaya's drive in BlazBlue Continuum Shift, where her punches come out a different speeds with different damage and effects depending on when you release your hold. Except Little Mac's is much slower and longer.

If Little Mac gets a one-hit K.O. with his full charge, there are plenty of ways around it. It's exploitable and its effects can be measured unlike Meta Knight where he was constantly a fast, outprioritized mess. If there are any abuses of the K.O. punch tactic, the T.O. can enforce penalties on the players or just forbid the Neutral Special altogether. Removing a very viable character from the game is a terrible idea.

Last edited:

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
It doesn't matter how powerful Mac's Punch is, he still has to hit with it. I'm seeing two possibilities.

a) It's slow and useless in 1 v 1
b) It's as advertised (what I outlined in my previous post) and the fact that you lose meter on taking damage is a sufficient balancing factor. If you can avoid damage for enough time to land a combo and a final hit, at a percentage where any of Mac's other finishers wouldn't have killed anyway, it's balanced and you deserved the kill.

I'm going to cross my fingers for (b).

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
If I were to guess, the charge-up for the 1-hit KO punch might get adjusted so that it rises slowly. That would at least make the attack more difficult to abuse, especially if the charge-up meter ends up taking a plummet from an attack that Little Mac takes.

What does have me concerned is the amount of invincibility frames that his attacks seem to have. That could make even Marth feel uncomfortable if Little Mac doesn't even flinch from taking a sword stab.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom