• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Will Project M help me with Melee?

BIG+BOSS

Smash Rookie
Kinda a long story ahead:
So, I want to get good at melee. I have always loved smash as a kid and have literally played every single one of the games (pretty much all casually), and now I want to get in to real competetive stuff while ya boy is young. However, I cannot find a store anywhere in the DFW area that has any sort of OFFICIAL and REAL gamecube controllers/wii u gamecube controller adapter, or even a physical copy of Melee. (My current computer cannot run melee and I do not intend to get a new computer soon), and the closest thing I have is a physical copy of Brawl, an SD card, and the weird Gamecube-like controller that hooks up to the Wii controller. Would this be a good way to practice Melee or is it not the same?
(Also can you play Melee on the Wii U's Wii Menu? If so, that would really help me out. And make my life easier.)

tl;dr is Project M good for practicing Melee until I can get it, also can you play Melee on a wii u?

Last edited:

rupan

Smash Cadet
I'd say it's the closest thing to playing Melee since it was built for the purpose of being able to play like melee but with new character and what not. So I don't see anything wrong with it. Although I do not have a Wii U, there is a video tutorial floating around, it should help you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qr8MCC277HI

As for the Gamecube-esk controller you own, I recommend that you save some money and buy an original controller instead, as third party companies are known to be faulty and it's just the standard for Melee/Project M players.

R3D3MON

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KeeHwang2010
Kinda a long story ahead:
So, I want to get good at melee. I have always loved smash as a kid and have literally played every single one of the games (pretty much all casually), and now I want to get in to real competetive stuff while ya boy is young. However, I cannot find a store anywhere in the DFW area that has any sort of OFFICIAL and REAL gamecube controllers/wii u gamecube controller adapter, or even a physical copy of Melee. (My current computer cannot run melee and I do not intend to get a new computer soon), and the closest thing I have is a physical copy of Brawl, an SD card, and the weird Gamecube-like controller that hooks up to the Wii controller. Would this be a good way to practice Melee or is it not the same?
(Also can you play Melee on the Wii U's Wii Menu? If so, that would really help me out. And make my life easier.)

tl;dr is Project M good for practicing Melee until I can get it, also can you play Melee on a wii u?
I would say yes and no, definitely depends on which character you are playing in Project M. Project M definitely makes you more accustomed to dealing with floatier characters, so there is that benefit that can transfer over to Melee, especially in terms of mindset and mentality.

If you have 2 GB SD card, you can run Project M from brawl with the hackless version of project M (mirror link here: http://projectmirror.no-ip.org/).

I'm not sure if you can load Melee with Wii U, but maybe with the homebrew method.

Last edited:

Nohbl

Smash Journeyman
the closest thing I have is a physical copy of Brawl, an SD card, and the weird Gamecube-like controller that hooks up to the Wii controller. Would this be a good way to practice Melee or is it not the same?

I remember trying to play Project M on an unhacked Wii U. You can't use a Gamecube controller, I think. If that's true, then you can't play Melee on it either. Pro Controller that you have should be an okay enough substitute. The issue is that the controller layout difference likely won't help you build muscle memory.

is Project M good for practicing Melee until I can get it
Yeah, for the most part. You will have to cripple yourself when transitioning to Melee---no DACUS, no RAR, no B-Reverse, and so on. You also will have to get used to stiffer movement if you play without the Universal Controller Fix in SSBM. A laggy setup won't do you any favors---you can do a lot of things "perfectly" and still mess up inputs; this will harm confidence in the self.

It's a bad idea but as a last resort it's good enough.

TOVL

Smash Cadet
Project M is Melee's sequel. It's almost like playing Brawl to get better at sm4sh - it's very different, but to the untrained eye (and player), they're very similar. PM would be great to learn the basics (wavedashing, l canceling, dash dancing, etc.) and so long as you stay away from the PM and Brawl mechanics. What also helps is that most melee to PM high tiers are very similar in both games, so go right ahead, even if the two games will feel different as you transition from one to the other.

Last edited:

R3D3MON

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KeeHwang2010
I remember trying to play Project M on an unhacked Wii U. You can't use a Gamecube controller, I think. If that's true, then you can't play Melee on it either. Pro Controller that you have should be an okay enough substitute. The issue is that the controller layout difference likely won't help you build muscle memory.

Yeah, for the most part. You will have to cripple yourself when transitioning to Melee---no DACUS, no RAR, no B-Reverse, and so on. You also will have to get used to stiffer movement if you play without the Universal Controller Fix in SSBM. A laggy setup won't do you any favors---you can do a lot of things "perfectly" and still mess up inputs; this will harm confidence in the self.

It's a bad idea but as a last resort it's good enough.
Actually you can use the game cube controller with unhacked Wii U now, thanks to this hack by willm0x42:

https://smashboards.com/threads/wii...h-gamecube-adapter-beta.453431/#post-22026506

You can use the hackless version of project m with this on the wii u, all you need to do is get the latest Gecko OS and replace the boot.elf file in the hackless project m download with the boot.elf file placed in the Gecko OS download in to the root of your SD card.

EDIT: Also make sure to enable the SD File Patcher option under the Gecko OS config page (after you start up Project M through Gecko OS).

Last edited:

Jamisinon

Smash Apprentice
I'll put it simply, PM will help you with Melee a lot more than Brawl or Sm4sh will. Even though there are some nuances that differ with characters the PM versions do mirror their Melee counterparts to a large extent. So I mained Mewtwo in PM and bc of that my Sm4sh Mewtwo was good for free and my Melee mewtwo was decent (and i never played mewtwo in melee). I've been playing Marth for a couple years in Melee now and my PM Marth was upgraded bc of it even though it didn't feel identical. So I don't think PM is gonna hurt at all.
I agree with those who posted above that you will want a legit GC controller at some point. But PM will help with timing a lot. Even if you aren't doing the most advanced tech. If it's wavedashing, L-cancelling, power shielding, dash dashing, short hops, it'll help some technical mechanical.
I see you currently main Puff. I will say Puff changed a lot from Melee to Brawl so PM Puff if you choose to practice with her will definitely be good practice.
Just my two cents, and I understand if it's not possible for you bc one of my best friends that lives near me doesn't have a PC than can run Dolphin, but if you can get a friend interested in the game, or already know someone who plays as a practice partner, that can also help. Especially if you are around the same skill level. If your friends don't like Melee getting people to watch the Doc always stirs up some interesting in playing and at this point everyone should watch it anyways. Hope this helps.

R3D3MON

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KeeHwang2010
Another thing to note with Project M is Melee will feel a bit weird/restrictive because there are more technique options in PM, such as RAR and DACUS. If your character uses these options pretty significantly, the game will probably feel quite a bit awkward until you practice and get used to Melee things. Also, edge-guarding tactics and mindset will differ a good bit different in PM than in Melee (obviously character and matchup-dependent), but I would say that generally you want to be more aggressive off-stage in Melee compared to PM.

Top Bottom