• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Will Smash 4 Be Competitive?

DarkDream

Smash Apprentice
After watching the recent nintendo direct, I wanted to hear everyones opinion on the potential competitive nature of the new smash based on what was seen.

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
Brawl was competitive

Accf124

Smash Journeyman
Lets be honest, all smashes are gonna be competitive in some way, shape or form.

Lozjam

Smash Champion
From what we have seen from the direct, this game is planned to be competitive. The gameplay speed is very, very fast, there is an online mode designed for competitive play, Glory Mode (No Items, Final Destination). Characters not having transformations, and changed very much to have an overall new state of balance(Hopefully. It looks like it's taking pages out of Project M's book(This may or may not be intentional), overall, I am excited to play this during Summer. I think Sakurai is trying to cater to us, and I am loving it. What are your guys' thoughts?

Lugubrious

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lugubrious
Gameplay wise, it definitely looks like it has a competitive edge. However, as pointed out by fighting game enthusiast Maximillian Dood, gameplay is only part of what makes a fighting game competitive. A huge portion of a game's competitiveness relies on the sum total of its online: how good the connection is, how ranking is handled, skill-based matchmaking, lobby systems, spectating, and more. I'm sure he'll have a video out soon on the subject.

Lozjam

Smash Champion
Gameplay wise, it definitely looks like it has a competitive edge. However, as pointed out by fighting game enthusiast Maximillian Dood, gameplay is only part of what makes a fighting game competitive. A huge portion of a game's competitiveness relies on the sum total of its online: how good the connection is, how ranking is handled, skill-based matchmaking, lobby systems, spectating, and more. I'm sure he'll have a video out soon on the subject.
Sakurai has already stated that it will have skill based matchmaking, glory mode, and the connection will be good. Also I am more talking about Tournaments, but this new online could pave the way for online tournaments.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
I don't know about "very, very fast". It looks Brawl speed still. It certainly is not Melee speed.

Warp Star Lover

Smash Cadet
Definitely not Melee speed, but it's faster than Brawl, and that's good enough for me.

Not to mention the gravity/physics are closer to Melee than Brawl. :)

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Definitely not Melee speed, but it's faster than Brawl, and that's good enough for me.

Not to mention the gravity/physics are closer to Melee than Brawl. :)
How do you figure? I don't claim to have any numbers or anything, but just watching general footage, characters still seem super floaty. All the physics still seem Brawl-inspired.

Brawl was competitive
Sure... just not in the same way Melee was. Chess is competitive, but it is also supremely painful to watch. #FreeMelee

Last edited by a moderator:

Warp Star Lover

Smash Cadet
How do you figure? I don't claim to have any numbers or anything, but just watching general footage, characters still seem super floaty. All the physics still seem Brawl-inspired.
Well, they're certainly not super-heavy here, but Brawl was ULTRA-floaty.

The fat has been trimmed.

ggdeku

Smash Rookie
It seems to me that Sakurai achieved what he said he would last year when he claimed Smash 4 would be a midpoint between Melee and Brawl. I am looking forward to see what the community does with the game and all the new techniques that will be discovered.

D

Deleted member

Little mac looks competitive when he does that combo on link into the Up Special.

Other than that, it seems faster overall, but I think because of the brawl like Air dodges it will push melee players away.

Dott

Smash Ace
The physics are more than melee on the wii u version but in 3ds version i see it's more like Brawl.

Also, i don't see Brawl or Melee speed... it's just Smash 4 speed.

-Key-

Smash Cadet
It seems like comboing is much closer to Melee, but overall movement and speed is still not far off from Brawl. But it's still very early and the game footage being shown isn't exactly filled with top-level play.

DarkDream

Smash Apprentice
I just hope it has the same depth as Melee. Could care less about wavedashing, it's not as important as something like L cancelling, tho having quick ground tilts off of dash would be nice too. I can't really call it but hits seem stiff. I don't think it'll have the combo flow as Melee or Project M at all.

Last edited:

Chimera

Smash Journeyman
NNID
cmChimera
Yes. I'm not even sure how this an be questioned anymore.The game clearly won't be the same game as melee, but that's not a bad thing. It has no tripping, and therefore has no random event to screw up competitive play. Yes. The answer is yes.

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
the physics are definitely the same between the 3ds and wii u version. it's like brawl+ speed really. characters are still kinda floaty but there's real hitstun and attacks are kinda fast

Zach R.

Subtle
To be fair, Smash, and a lot of fighting games, have survived very well despite online play of any merit, especially Melee (still going strong after 13 years!).

Zach R.

Subtle
the physics are definitely the same between the 3ds and wii u version. it's like brawl+ speed really. characters are still kinda floaty but there's real hitstun and attacks are kinda fast
Sounds a lot like Smash64, maybe a bit faster with less absurd hit stun. I mean, I loved that game so much, even at a competitive level, but that was basically the beta version to Melee in a lot of ways. My primary concern is too much jenkyness, but I haven't seen anything really to be like, "WHAT?? THAT'S SO OP!!!" At least not yet.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
I'd first point out that in terms of animations Melee and Brawl have essentially identical speeds. Melee has a much faster metagame, but it's more about balance decisions than pre-canned game speed. We still don't know everything about smash 4's balance decisions, but we do know this. It's clearly designed with a thoughtfulness all previous smash games lacked. Melee and Brawl, as much as I love both, just kinda happened. That gave us chaingrabs and Meta Knights and characters like Melee Kirby who weren't even vaguely functional alongside the gameplay we all loved. The thoughtfulness of this design seems focused on retaining everything that made the previous two games great, emphasizing the best parts, and carefully building the game to just be a bit smarter with how its balanced so hopefully a lot fewer dumb things are strong this time around. I'm very optimistic this really could be the best smash game yet.

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
One of the things that made Melee so fast and fun is L-cancelling. Full length landing animations make for a slower and less combo centric game. Attacks being fast on the ground with low endlag like Mac's make the game look fast, but Smash is so cool because of the way aerial physics work. From what I've seen, landlag seems to be longer than an L-cancel but I'm seeing them to be significantly shorter than Brawl. Hence my Brawl+ comment. Saying the attacks were faster wasn't a very descriptive way of putting that lol, but I do think combos and interesting competitive play are potentials here from what I'm seeing.

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Frame data will likely be similar, but the main thing ive noticed from all play videos thus far have been the faster speeds in rolling.

As brawl didn't have the wavedash, people were caught up with lack of movement options for quite a long time. Rolling has developed a lot in brawl (primarily thanks to the power of Meta Knight's forward roll), and I think Sakurai has given a nod in the direction of having a fast movement displacement spacing tool in upping roll speeds.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Since it's really combo-centric like melee, just instead of wavedashing there's a LOT faster rolls, this looks like a game I can get behind in terms of competitiveness.

fabulouspants

Smash Apprentice
airdodging out of hitstun seems to be the same as brawl. rewatch the direct footage and pay attention to the gameplay clips. you'll see people airdodge immediately after being hit. i'm completely ok with it since i loved brawl but melee/project m fans might have a problem.

BBG|Scott-Spain

Smash Journeyman
Anything can be competitive. The real question is the balance/depth, which is what Sakurai is attempting to give to us. Whether that works out will remain to be seen.

Jem.

Smash Master
It'll be competitive because every new Smash auto-starts that way. Even Brawl had a healthy community in most regions until 2011 I'd say. Then it really started to dip bad in most regions, and now most regions don't have a Brawl tournament scene.

It seems like they want less down time. Marth acted fairly quickly out of his backwards roll even. Imagine if you can buffer forward rolls to where you can react even faster. Every aerial auto cancels if I'm not mistaken. We still need to see more though, we're not seeing enough to piece it all together.

I have hopes it'll be better than Brawl. In a perfect world, Melee continues to thrive and Smash 4 booms off of launch and sustains it.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I disagree. Online adds to a game's competitiveness but I don't think it is huge portion of it. Look at Melee, it's heralded as the most competitive Smash and it has no online. 64 managed to be competitive with no online. Brawl wasn't made more casual because it had bad online, infact even with it's slower gameplay it still became competitive.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
It seems like they want less down time. Marth acted fairly quickly out of his backwards roll even. Imagine if you can buffer forward rolls to where you can react even faster. Every aerial auto cancels if I'm not mistaken. We still need to see more though, we're not seeing enough to piece it all together.
There's always been a bit of misnomer about auto cancels and whatnot. All aerials in Brawl/Melee auto cancel. Every aerial also has a landing lag set, which is how much lag you experience if you land before the auto cancel frame is reached. Sakurai chose which aerials would have "melee" (with L cancelling) like lag in Brawl, but those same aerials are still capable of auto cancelling (so generally 2 or 4 frames of lag on landing).

Top Bottom