• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Will Smash Run pale in comparison to City Trial?

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
So I'm getting a bit concerned about how fun Smash Run will actually be... barring the fact that you can't play the game online with friends.

I saw a gameplay video of it just now and from what I saw, it was impossible to interact with the other players on the map. Even if you go to the same spot in the map, you'll never actually see the other players. This is important because in Kirby Air Ride, there was sort of a choice to how you approached building the best stats. You could be nice and simply explore the map, opening boxes and collecting your power-ups in a non-aggressive way... or you could be a jerk and just sabotage everything your opponents had by attacking.

Back in Kirby Air Ride, I really enjoyed that sense of agency and player interaction City Trial offered. Knowing that you can't interact with your opponents in the same way in Smash Run makes me feel that the mode will basically amount to mindlessly roaming around and beating up the AI.

Maybe there will be something more to it? I don't know. But it seems like an underwhelming mode from what I've seen so far.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:

Raijinken

Smash Master
It's hard to trump City Trial, but I don't think the lack of online is the issue (though, to be fair, the only person I'd play Smash Run with who isn't in my area is my brother, who is at a different university). Smash Run looks to offer a similar but unique experience - building stats and getting treasure in preparation for that final battle.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
You can't interact with opponents in Smash Run?

To be honest, that's REALLY disappointing. As much as Sakurai pushed out Smash Run, I really don't think it'll be as great as City Trial. I mean, City Trial is really the only reason people play Kirby Air Ride... the actual racing in the game is mediocre and poorly made, lol. It's not that big of a deal if Smash Run isn't that great, but it really removes a lot of the single player aspect of the game. I mean, we don't have Target Test, Event Mode, or Adventure Mode, with our replacement being Smash Run, so I'd be disappointed if it doesn't turn out to be that great.

Also, I'm still mad at Sakurai and his team for not including City Trial's music as a track to use in Smash Run. Like, how can you NOT include it!?

Last edited:

CrazyChaos

Smash Cadet
I have been having concerns of my own as well, mostly about the lack of changeable settings, as far as I am aware anyway.

And as much as I dislike the inability to interact with other players, when I think about it it seems like a fair decision. In City Trial, players would usually slap each other once or twice before moving on. In Smash Run though...I feel like players would end up fighting each other for a bit too long which may slow down stat progression for players. This may not be as much of a problem as I think it might be and even if it is I do not think it is enough of a problem to need the precaution taken against it, but it is still a possible reason for the decision...
Though if we had some sort of changeable settings for Smash Run then player interactivity could simply be toggle-able option.

GoddessOfLamps

Smash Ace
Well... City trail also didn't have any online, so we can't really hold that against Smash Run (at least when comparing it to CT). The real issues with Smash Run is lack of customization and the fact that you can't interact with other players. Also apparently the smash run bosses rumor was not true so that is a real bummer! (I know there is a Wanted! event, but it isn't the same thing). But I still think the game mode looks interesting enough. I can see it being very fun to play... But not to the extent City Trail was.

Ursaguy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5472-7859-2409
We could not hate on a game that hasn't even been released yet, or does that make too much sense?

No argument for or against holds any weight until you play it.

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
We could not hate on a game that hasn't even been released yet, or does that make too much sense?

No argument for or against holds any weight until you play it.
I'm not hating at all. I'm just concerned.

Ragingtsunami726

Smash Cadet
I'm really going to miss the interaction if this is true. Air Ride is one of my favorite multiplayer experiences of all time.

LunarDistortion

Lord of the Nigelchu's
NNID
Lunar_Distortion
3DS FC
4639-9294-0127
Switch FC
SW-4041-3028-0448
I've been looking at the tips on the demo, and I haven't seen many enemies we don't know about yet.

I know it's just a demo and it won't have all the enemies listed, but what i'm really concerned about is the enemy choices in the final build of Smash Run. There are so many great ideas for enemies, Waterwraith, Petey Pirahna, Kraid, The Viruses from Dr. Mario, even K. Rool or Ridley being there would be better for the fans than letting just being trophies. But will they take this great opportunity, or will they waste it all on Mario and Kid Icarus enemies spamming the place.

Last edited:

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
part of the fun of city trial was sabotage or being afraid of sabotage

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
No

NO

I played Smash run today and I was Jigglypuff and I was running as fast as Sonic with a barrier infront of me ramming enemies as I ran.

I was legitimately playing Sonic Unleashed as Jigglypuff.

This game is 10/10 Im not joking my dream has come true.

Last edited:

Rakurai

Smash Ace
If you're playing with other players, they can pick up items that cause disruptive effects to the other players, like spawning smart bomb explosions in their vicinity.

In any case, I still see myself playing the mode a lot, considering that it records high scores. It seems possible to max out every stat on a character if you play efficiently and get lucky.

Tails1000

Smash Cadet
I just learned about the "No interaction with other players" thing just now...
In all honestly smash run for me has been sounding worse and worse since it was announced.
First we find out it's 3ds only, which I'm ok with... but it leaves me wondering if the wii u version will get its own cool exclusive mode.
Second, the no online thing really killed my interest in this mode. If the 3ds can't really handle it, I don't see why this couldn't be a wii u mode instead (Especially considering early on Sakurai said the 3ds would be Tailored to a more single player experience).
And now I find that we can't chase down and beat up other players, it really is just one big enemy rush :/

While I'll still play it local when I get the chance (Which is very rarely these days), and though I still love the enemies to fight (A billion times better then the subspace enemies), my interest in smash run is pretty much gone :/

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
huh i dont think so, they are completelly different.
City Trial in 2d with kirby powers seems like it would've been even more fun though :p its ok.

Moldy Clay

Smash Journeyman
NNID
frothyjazz54
3DS FC
3050-8737-8491
I mean, to be real, the point is the end, not the part leading up to it.

It sucks that you can't hit each other to steal power-ups, but it is a bit different from how Kirby worked. It would almost defeat the purpose, because you'd wind up fighting in the middle, and you could be fighting later.

It also adds a level of uncertainty. So you're packing yourself and not paying attention to anyone else, and then you get to the end totally unprepared for how crazy it is about to be. Everyone stocked up on speed and running full blast into spike traps.

VivaReverie

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GreenTL
IMHO I'm thinking people are a little overreacting over Smash Run, well, here now for two reasons.

One (The one being brought up just now), the lack of intractability between players. Yes, I can say I was disappointed first hearing about it, but, as mentioned earlier-
In City Trial, players would usually slap each other once or twice before moving on. In Smash Run though...I feel like players would end up fighting each other for a bit too long which may slow down stat progression for players.
^This is a very very good point, and I can see why interaction between players would make the game less fun. Not to mention, your 3DS would have to process four people playing on this one big stage, while normally it only has to pay attention to you. I'd easily imagine latency issues.

Two, the one everybody and a half hates, the lack of internet play. Yes, it sucks, but honestly, with the lack of player interaction until the last minute of the game, what's the point? I'm imagining Smash Run now, and a lot of the things that happen in the game is a sort of "Wow, oh this is all happening to us all right now" type of game, like events, and deaths, etc. That's something that can be expressed locally, you know, talking and the such, while online you might as well be playing against CPUs. That's the only benefit for playing online, the last minute of the game against real people instead of CPUs. Everything else, in essence, only makes sense to only be playable locally.

And one final thing I want to bring up too:
Second, the no online thing really killed my interest in this mode. If the 3ds can't really handle it, I don't see why this couldn't be a wii u mode instead
Honestly, how?
There is no way Smash Run would work on the Wii U, the most important part about Smash Run is screen independence, and unless everybody had a gamepad/bottom screen (Which the Wii U doesn't even support) and the top screen were split-screen (Which would be pointless because you only need to look at your quadrant), there is no way Smash Run would fit on a TV. That's not even taking into account powers and items and stuff.

Considering Smash 4 3DS is the "Smaller" version of the game, I wouldn't be surprised if Smash 4 Wii U had far more gamemodes tailored for the Wii U's hardware, say a 4v1 boss mode against the guy on the gamepad, for example, so I wouldn't be worried. Lack of Smash Run on the Wii U won't be a concern.

Khao

Smash Lord
You know, I love City Trial and it was by far my favorite mode in Air Ride...

But to be honest...

Fighting Monster while controlling a fighter is hilariously superior to awkwardly breaking boxes by repeatedly driving into them with a race car.

That alone makes it a far better mode than City Trial was in my opinion. City Trial was mostly fun because you were preparing for what was coming later, in Smash Run, it looks like the preparation is ****ing awesome and fun on its own.

Sure, no being able to see the other players or interact with them on the map is dissapointing... But what the heck, it looks a lot more fun to play even without that anyway.

Also, don't see how Smash Run having no online puts it behind City Trial considering that wasn't a thing back then either.

Last edited:

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
wait not only is there not online, you can no longer interact?! wtf... man that sucks =/ Even City trial was a little boring for a competitive guy like me, the level of interaction wasn't that high or significant. When I saw how big the smash run map was, it got me a little worried. And now I see you can't interact at all? =/ qq

Rakurai

Smash Ace
I honestly don't think the 3DS could've managed all of the things that would be happening all over the map simultaneously with four players present if it couldn't handle the Ice Climbers.

Much less online.

Last edited:

VivaReverie

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GreenTL
wait not only is there not online, you can no longer interact?! wtf... man that sucks =/ Even City trial was a little boring for a competitive guy like me, the level of interaction wasn't that high or significant. When I saw how big the smash run map was, it got me a little worried. And now I see you can't interact at all? =/ qq
That's cuz that's not really how Smash Run is designed, it looks to me (Watching gameplay of it) that it's more of a mini-subspace emissary type thing, with free roaming and unique elements.

Goten21

Smash Journeyman
I honestly don't think the 3DS could've managed all of the things that would be happening all over the map simultaneously with four players present if it couldn't handle the Ice Climbers.

Much less online.
KI:U could handle it.
The actual reason is that you can spam OP items at each other, which would result into trolling...

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
From what I've seen it really doesn't look that fun, it's like a single big room from Subspace Emissary but with something to actually collect. Not being able to play it online with anyone is what really kills it for me though, it's like they have put up restrictions so that people wouldn't make the experience uncomfortable for each other, but when it only has local multiplayer what does that even matter? Putting up restrictions for something that's only local actually takes some of the fun away that you can have with friends.

To be honest I don't think I'll ever go through it again once I have all the custom moves, because it seems like that's all it's good for.

Last edited:

LinkNIvy

Smash Apprentice
Well... City trail also didn't have any online, so we can't really hold that against Smash Run (at least when comparing it to CT). The real issues with Smash Run is lack of customization and the fact that you can't interact with other players. Also apparently the smash run bosses rumor was not true so that is a real bummer! (I know there is a Wanted! event, but it isn't the same thing). But I still think the game mode looks interesting enough. I can see it being very fun to play... But not to the extent City Trail was.
City Trial was also released on the GC.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I can't judge anything before playing it, but I'm hoping to enjoy Smash Run.

The lack of online is kinda sad, though less because of playing with friends than just random matchmaking. I think it'd be fun to do Smash Run/City Trial online with people you don't know.

Top Bottom