• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Will SSB4 cause to much wear on your 3DS?

Do you think typical Smash Bros wear and tear could messup your 3DS?

• Yes.

Votes: 37 52.1%
  • No.

Votes: 34 47.9%

• Total voters

Nstinct

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3626-0477-8909
If you put to much heavy wear and tear on a controller, $35 for a fresh new one. But to much wear on a 3DS is another $200. I don't own a 3DS, but I'd like to get one for smash bros (A cheap used 3ds off ebay perhaps, but that's not the point.) Do you 3DS owners think Smash Bros 4 will put to much wear on a 3DS? I still have an old DS Lite that has a slightly messed up D-pad and L and R buttons that function when they want to so I'm unsure if the 3DS is better built, let alone if it could handle the heavy play Smash Bros could inflict.

Golden Gallade

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3823-9001-5955
I've had my 3ds for over two years now and played at least 1800 hours of play time on it. and its still in great shape. so I doubt in will hurt it that much.

Last edited:

AquaTech

We hit the potjack
I've had my 3ds for over two years now and played at least 1800 hours of play time on it. and its still in great shape. so I doubt in will hurt it that much.
The only difference is this: depending on what games you were playing, the way you played your 3DS might not have been aggressive. For instance, a lot of my 3DS gameplay has been Pokemon, standard Mario, Mario Kart, etc. Smash Bros is usually a more intense playing experience, where multi-directional use of the joystick is constantly being used, as well as much more aggressive, constant trigger use. We'll see how it holds up

WheelerFGC

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ocarinasonwheels
3DS FC
2020-0089-8969
Switch FC
8390-7649-9691
Well, the start/select/home button covers are wearing off, and my circle pad no longer has the cover.
Can't get much worse, right?

Golden Gallade

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3823-9001-5955
The only difference is this: depending on what games you were playing, the way you played your 3DS might not have been aggressive. For instance, a lot of my 3DS gameplay has been Pokemon, standard Mario, Mario Kart, etc. Smash Bros is usually a more intense playing experience, where multi-directional use of the joystick is constantly being used, as well as much more aggressive, constant trigger use. We'll see how it holds up
Yea I guess. A lot of the games I play are not that intensive, so smash might do more damage. Still think it will be fine, though.

Trisongs

Smash Apprentice
After playing the bestbuy demo I believe that the 3ds can take ssb4. The circle pad is not really pushed that far when it comes to intense game play so I think it can hold itself.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
That is my main concern with the 3DS version. I can easily swap an old controller for a brand new one. I can't do that to the 3DS controller, though.

Morbi

Scavenger
I believe that it may be a problem; I am contemplating getting a 3DS specifically for Smash, just in case. I do not really want my 2DS to endure any unnecessary damage.

Reila

I believe that it may be a problem; I am contemplating getting a 3DS specifically for Smash, just in case. I do not really want my 2DS to endure any unnecessary damage.
Are you planning to buy the game, a second 3DS and the Wii U version as well? Or will you play exclusively the 3DS version?

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I'm technically getting the 3DS to play Smash Bros first, and any other game second.

I'll probably play SSB4-3DS to unlock everything, and online multiplayer only. I plan to be more casual on the 3DS. In fact, I've even considered maining specific characters just for the 3DS version.

Hopefully that way I don't wear my 3DS down too much. n_nU

Ryuutakeshi

Smash Lord
It will take a while but it will happen. The 3DS XL is a sturdy piece of hardware but that circle pad will not be having fun.

tupelocase

Smash Cadet
I've given a tremendous amount of wear and tear to my 3ds, but the only thing I've ever had trouble with are the triggers. With all the grabbing and dodging those could wear down easily but you can replace those so I think it'll be fine :3

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I guess it partly depends on if the Circle Pad is still good for use. Of course, I'd hope that the Directional Pad would be an option for moving your character.

Greninja202

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1907-9671-3843
I doubt that super smash bros 3ds will wear out your system. I'm pretty sure the 3ds can handle smash 4 without wearing out. It just depends on the person who is playing it of how well they handle their 3ds.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
I think the 2DS will be able to handle it.

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
Probably.I may just not play my best til the wiiu version comes out(except for a few matches like against friends)as I will mostly play cpu like 90% of my time.The level 10 addition is great for me.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I've had my 3DS since shortly after launch and I've yet to run into a problem with wear or tear. And I doubt they made the newer 3DS versions any cheaper in quality.

Things break eventually, sure, but Nintendo's never been anything but first rate in hardware dependability. Should be fine.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
It's withstood a few years of KIU. Mashing the circlepad for dashing/dodging, mashing L for shooting, and face buttons for powers. A lifetime of SSB? I think it'll hold.

D

Deleted member

Nah, not really. I'm pretty sure it won't cause wear on my 3DS. It should be alright.

Last edited by a moderator:

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Honestly my original model has survived without any issues for a while. I know Smash is a very intense game, but I think the combination of MK, Kid Icarus, and Monster Hunter ought to give me some idea of how much my system can withheld.

pickle962

Smash Lord
If it can handle intense sessions of Kid Icarus Uprising, Smash 4 should be the least of its concerns ;)

Newt Floss

Smash Journeyman
I've never broken a first party controller. So I have no clue what you're talking about.

Reila

I've never broken a first party controller. So I have no clue what you're talking about.
Because you never breaking a controller means everybody never broke one as well, right?

ChibiIceClimberz

Smash Ace
NNID
ch33bdragonite
3DS FC
5370-0405-0580
If a regular controller can wear out from intense play, then I'm sure the 3DS itself can wear out as well. Everyone is different on how they handle their devices, though.

As for me, the shoulder buttons on my original 3DS feel less stable after long sessions of Mario Kart 7 and Kid Icarus: Uprising, but I think it'll be fine. I'm only a little worried about the Circle Pad since it feels so delicate, lol.

Last edited:

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
As a regular Street Fighter IV and Kid Icarus: Uprising player, my 3DS, which I've had since Christmas 2011 but conked out only last week, did so only out of a case of personal negligence.

I think your 3DS will be fine. There's a reason the phrase "Made of Nintendium" exists.

bkslider

Smash Journeyman
I plan on getting a 3DS XL for Smash, and if it's anywhere as sturdy as my 3DS I have had from launch, then I'll be all set.

yahooda

Smash Ace
NNID
yahooda
3DS FC
0302-0469-6394
I have a feeling that some people will destroy their 3DS with Smash, but I personally don't think I will. I've spent 1000+ hours playing Smash with the same Gamecube controller and nothing on it has broken. I think that I'm much more gentle on them than other people though, because whenever I play a game with someone the sounds coming from their controllers are always much louder than mine.

jigglover

Smash Lord
I'm extremely aggressive with all games I play, but I've only broken one controller; a Wiimote. And that was through old age -- there's a little plastic thing stuck at the top between the batteries came off. I've had my GCN controller for literal decades, and besides chewing the plastic off the control sticks due to being young, they work perfectly. I got a pro-controller in 2005 too, which fit my Dad well because of his bigger hands and is now my controller of choice because of my bigger hands, and that has survived perfectly.

3DS' are bloody sturdy things, though. I can't EVER see one breaking, and the only way a DS has every broken (not even mine did, but from asking other people how their systems broke and from searching it up on the internet), they always break by someone grabbing the top of it and having a pulling fight over the system. As long as that doesn't happen, your 3DS will be safe.

I even did the thing where you put a little coin under the circle pad for breeding purposes in X&Y; I was worried beforehand, but literally nothing has become lackluster about the system's response or anything. I play a lot of games quite aggressively, as I get REALLY into it, and the system is holding up fantastically. I don't think a regular game of smash could do any damage to it at all.

If you decide to play smash irl, however, you may run into some issues...

Last edited:

captainghost07

Smash Apprentice
NNID
captainghost07
Switch FC
SW-3052-5727-4615
i hope not but i don't think so you don't play with it competitively

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
I'm gentle with my controllers right up until I throw them and step on them.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
I think if my 3DS can survive Kid Icarus Uprising, with how much I played it and other games. It'll survive smash

geo1088

Smash Rookie
I don't know about you guys, but I think mine will be fine. Even though Smash is a much more intense game, I usually play pretty calmly, not smashing the buttons too much, or anything like that. Now my brother on the other hand...:p

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
I think my system will be perfectly fine. I'm pretty cautious to begin with, so naturally I'm used to playing without breaking a controller/system.

Top Bottom