• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Will Super Smash Bros. for Wii U even see the light of day?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slugma128

Smash Journeyman
Wii U is Nintendo's biggest flop since Virtual Boy. Even Iwata himself stated that they'll wait after this holiday season, and then decide "what to do with it". No company can keep a dead system on the market for years. It has literally ZERO third party support. And the third party games released so far are worse than the 360/Ps3 versions.

If Nintendo ceases production, admit it's a flop, what will happen to Smash? Either it'll be moved to a new system (and also delayed), or it'll move to smartphones and tablets if Nintendo decides to become third party.

Iwata has a huge pressure to show results this fiscal year. He will fail. Nintendo has already posted operating income losses for the first two quarters, and share holders within Nintendo keeps telling Iwata they should release their games for smartphones and tablets.

I can't see how thee Wii U will start selling this holiday. It's a dead system, but just like with the Virtual Boy, it takes quite a bit of time before Nintendo will admit it officially. Since Smash Bros is scheduled for a 2014 release, probably late in 2014, it might never see the light of day on the Wii U.

I would go as far as to say that it's actually more likely that it'll be released on Nintendo's next system or on smartphones and tablets.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Four words.
Super Mario 3D World. I have a feelign that game alone will shift a lot of units.

And remember the Gamecube's sales weren't awesome but it held on and has some of the best games ever.
And this is NOWHERE near the levels of fail the Virtual boy was.

Slugma128

Smash Journeyman
Four words.
Super Mario 3D World. I have a feelign that game alone will shift a lot of units.

And remember the Gamecube's sales weren't awesome but it held on and has some of the best games ever.
And this is NOWHERE near the levels of fail the Virtual boy was.
Why would SM3DW shift units when NSMBU, Pikmin 3, Wind Waker HD and Wonderful 101 didn't? Also, SM3DW is released in the middle of the release of Ps4 and Xbone.

GameCube sales were A LOT better than Wii U sales, even if they weren't awesome. In the last six months, Wii U moved 460k units worldwide. Yes, that's on par with Virtual Boy levels. It has still not reached Dreamcast's total sales of 8 million (GameCube sold slightly more than 20 million).

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Because there is at least 200x more Mario fans than Pikmin fans and unlike NSMB and Wind Waker HD, 3D World isn't stupidly close to a game that everyone already owns.

Also do you have the detailed sales data for all the consoles mentioned? Link us to it so we're all armed with the same info.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Why is the fanbase getting more stupid than even the stupid people from pre-Brawl times?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Why is the fanbase getting more stupid than even the stupid people from pre-Brawl times?

Agree with the sentiment but SWEET MOTHER OF ARCEUS, THAT PICTURE!

Slugma128

Smash Journeyman
Because there is at least 200x more Mario fans than Pikmin fans and unlike NSMB and Wind Waker HD, 3D World isn't stupidly close to a game that everyone already owns.

Also do you have the detailed sales data for all the consoles mentioned? Link us to it so we're all armed with the same info.
Well, we'll see about the results for SM3DW. The Japanese sales data should be out in less than a week from now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_game_consoles

It seems I was a bit off with the Dreamcast - it actually sold a little more than 10 millions.

ChickenWing13

Smash Lord
NNID
Frosty93
Might I ask why it is such a bad console?

Oh wait now I know why. It's bcuz Nintendo no longer aquires actual controllers to there freakin systems. The Wii was horrible. What makes them think bumping the resolution and adding a new controller scheme will make a difference. It's like they're blind to their own mistakes, or maybe they just don't even care anymore. It's pretty sad.

It's funny cuz I told my Mom I wanted the WiiU deluxe for Xmas but now I'm having second thoughts.

PS4 lookin pretty tasty right now.

Slugma128

Smash Journeyman
Might I ask why it is such a bad console?

Oh wait now I know why. It's bcuz Nintendo no longer aquires actual controllers to there freakin systems. The Wii was horrible. What makes them think bumping the resolution and adding a new controller scheme will make a difference. It's like they're blind to their own mistakes, or maybe they just don't even care anymore. It's pretty sad.

It's funny cuz I told my Mom I wanted the WiiU deluxe for Xmas but now I'm having second thoughts.

PS4 lookin pretty tasty right now.
The included GamePad makes the hardware more expensive than it needs to be. A console like Wii U really should retail for $199 or $249 with a game included. The GamePad was/is the big mistake because in 90 % of the Wii U games, it acts like a glorified map screen. And who wants to pay $100 extra for that?

The lack of third party support is a result of bad hardware design. Nintendo really hasn't done good hardware since the SNES. The N64 was cartridge based and had insufficent video memory, the GameCube had mini DVDs which could only fit less than a third of a normal DVD, plus it had no online capabilities out of the box like the Xbox. The Wii was underpowered and Wii U is underpowered too, but still too expensive due to the pack-in GamePad.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Have either of you even used or seen the console in action?

The gamepad is one of my favorite controllers ever and for the games that use it well it's awesome. Even games like Lego Marvel that let you use it as a splitscreen make it worthwhile.

Slugma128

Smash Journeyman

The gamepad is one of my favorite controllers ever and for the games that use it well it's awesome. Even games like Lego Marvel that let you use it as a splitscreen make it worthwhile.
I have the Wii U. :awesome:

I can understand though why there's a lack of interest for it. There are no FIFA, no Madden, no Battlefield, no DLC for other third party games... and the GamePad (except in local multiplayer games) is almost useless. And how many people still play local multiplayer today? Online is where it's at, Nintendo!

ChickenWing13

Smash Lord
NNID
Frosty93
The included GamePad makes the hardware more expensive than it needs to be. A console like Wii U really should retail for $199 or $249 with a game included. The GamePad was/is the big mistake because in 90 % of the Wii U games, it acts like a glorified map screen. And who wants to pay $100 extra for that?

The lack of third party support is a result of bad hardware design. Nintendo really hasn't done good hardware since the SNES. The N64 was cartridge based and had insufficent video memory, the GameCube had mini DVDs which could only fit less than a third of a normal DVD, plus it had no online capabilities out of the box like the Xbox. The Wii was underpowered and Wii U is underpowered too, but still too expensive due to the pack-in GamePad.
Yesz yesz nd yesz.

These are all very good points. Thank you for reminding me of all the mistakes Nintendo has made. Although that doesn't mean they aren't still an amazing and successful company. Tbh the only reason I want the WiiU is for the games, just like everyone else pretty much. That WWHD and SM3DW keeps reeling me in.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
You should probably shut the hell up, the GamePad is amazing and Nintendo is always going broke and going third party until they shut everyone up. Remember the 3DS?

ChickenWing13

Smash Lord
NNID
Frosty93

Yes nd I didn't enjoy it as much as the traditional controller. I wish they just made the Pro controller compatible with all games and not just VC.

You should probably shut the hell up, the GamePad is amazing and Nintendo is always going broke and going third party until they shut everyone up. Remember the 3DS?
Umm.. no

What you think is "AMAZING!!!" doesn't apply for everyone else. Thank you very much.

Nd yes I do remember my 3DS. It is still collecting dust on my top shelf. I hope to have my dust bunny statue ready by easter.

Slugma128

Smash Journeyman
Yesz yesz nd yesz.

These are all very good points. Thank you for reminding me of all the mistakes Nintendo has made. Although that doesn't mean they aren't still an amazing and successful company. Tbh the only reason I want the WiiU is for the games, just like everyone else pretty much. That WWHD and SM3DW keeps railing me in.
I agree. I bought it for Monster Hunter. And while there's nothing wrong with the buttons or sticks on the GamePad, it's unnecessarily big, heavy and expensive due to an extra screen that no one really needs.

People have said it before, but I'll repeat it:

Nintendo should make a traditional high power console like Sony and Microsoft. They can afford that and while their hardware would not be unique, Nintendo's own line-up of first party games plus strong third party support would be enough for success. I don't understand Iwata's vision with always making something different and unique. It's Nintendo's GAMES that sets them apart from their competitors, not their hardware.

ChickenWing13

Smash Lord
NNID
Frosty93
I don't understand Iwata's vision with always making something different and unique.
I think its just an asian/region thing where they don't want to be like everyone else. Which is kind of funny if you think about it.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Stop overreacting. 3D world is a huge deal for the Wii U now. Soon enough, there's Mario Mart 8, and then the soon-to-be-announced Zelda U, which will surely get attention.

Its quite naive to worry about this type of thing.

Slugma128

Smash Journeyman
Stop overreacting. 3D world is a huge deal for the Wii U now. Soon enough, there's Mario Mart 8, and then the soon-to-be-announced Zelda U, which will surely get attention.

We'll see about that.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero

The nice way of saying it.

Oniric Spriter

Smash Ace
You guys don't like the Gamepad?

I've always thought that the Off-TV feature was a great idea, and in games like Zelda it gets really handy too, in a Mario game, well, a platformer isn't the best genre for the gamepad but RPGs could make really good mechanics with it.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
The nice way of saying it.
What else can I say? People overreact.

I mean, the Wii U is not doing well right now. Mainly because it doesn't have any good games to go with it. NSMB, WWHD (which I personally love), and games like that seem useless because they're basically the same thing on a different console. I don't even want to get started with how stale the "New" games are, but the point stands that there are no good games out yet.

Give it a few months and it'll be selling fairly quickly. I think Smash Bros., Mario Kart, maybe DKTF, and the hopeful new Zelda game will be getting people to buy it. Then again, I have a 3DS with awesome games on it, so I can't complain. I'm not getting a Wii U until either Smash or Zelda comes out.

ChickenWing13

Smash Lord
NNID
Frosty93
Im sure that is the case. Many people aren't up to spending $300 on a console with hardly any decent games. Once the big shot titles roll in and the price goes down I'm certain many ppl will want to get their hands on the WiiU, like me.

Until then.. it stands in the cold rain.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357

I mean, seriously? Why would the development team abandon development out of a sudden, just because some people believe the Wii U won't be successful? I mean, it's Smash Bros., as in, it's a possible system seller. If the Wii U is doing badly, all the more reason to release a game like this.

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
I personally believe it was a mistake for Nintendo to release the Wii U when they did. The lack of games is the whole reason the console isn't moving. Its not the controller by any means. They had a huge success with the Wii because of the new innovation. They should have just looked for more third party support for the Wii U (which means designing the system in a way that is attractive to 3rd party companies).

There's at least two people in this thread that are waiting to buy the Wii U for games like Smash and Zelda. Imagine how many more people are waiting for these games to come out before they buy them.

SM3DW came out yesterday, and I'm sure it will move more consoles leading up to Christmas. Mario Kart 8, DKTF, Zelda U, Smash will move more.

I already bought one for WWHD and the above mentioned games. IF the console isn't successful after 2014, then they may look at scrapping it, but with that line of games coming out, they won't until then.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
A bit of news that's good for the WiiU but may make the casual haters froth, Wii Party U was on the bestseller lists in Japan and helped shift a lot of consoles.

Slugma128

Smash Journeyman
A bit of news that's good for the WiiU but may make the casual haters froth, Wii Party U was on the bestseller lists in Japan and helped shift a lot of consoles.
LOL, no. If you look at actual numbers, Wii Party U shifted around 30k before Wii U dropped to around 15k/abysmal again. A bit more than 30k is not "a lot of consoles".

Rawkuz

Smash Cadet
Whenever smash4 drops and if its a hit, i believe that will probably move a ton of units. Both old and new smashers alike will flock to the console. If the game turns out to be an abysmal failure we can pretty much say the wii-u will be shark food.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
LOL, no. If you look at actual numbers, Wii Party U shifted around 30k before Wii U dropped to around 15k/abysmal again. A bit more than 30k is not "a lot of consoles".

I looked at the numbers and 30,000 of anything sounds reasonably good to me but what would I know. You seem really agressive.

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
I looked at the numbers and 30,000 of anything sounds reasonably good to me but what would I know. You seem really agressive.
He is the aggressive type. With 350+ posts and only 37 likes, he seems like a troll to me. Maybe we are just feeding the troll...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom