• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Will there ever be major, non-canon mechanics added to Brawl+?

kupo15

Smash Hero
as in how does lower regeneration contribute to the game of brawl+? what are other peoples opinions of it?
You can't rely on your shield as much and it helps with shield pressure so I think its a good thing as long it isn't over done. Being afraid to put up your shield when someone is putting the pressure on is good. I've always thought that shields regenerated too quickly

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
as in how does lower regeneration contribute to the game of brawl+? what are other peoples opinions of it?
Hell. ****ing. No.

If anything, I'd say just leave Smash alone and let it stay as is, while refining the techniques it already has.

But yeah, I was just throwing something out there.
^ This.

mofo_

Smash Ace
well...like they say..perfection is not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away...so let's just take away the bad stuff...then maybe add some cool pwnsome stuff

Alphatron

Smash Champion
Minor mechanics have been added into the game in every smash sequel.

I see nothing wrong with adding another minor tech.

DQP

Smash Ace
Brawl+ has:

Custom Textures/Music/Movesets
Gliding
Footstool Jumping
Tripping (attack-wise)
MUCH bigger emphasis on Tether recovery
swimming
custom stages
a balanced fighter selection
LADDERS!!!

does melee have any of those? i thought not.

jalued

Smash Lord
Brawl+ has:

Custom Textures/Music/Movesets true
Gliding for a very small cast, very minimal importance and is badly coded
Footstool Jumping agreed by most to be a totally stupid mechanic that generally happens by mistake
Tripping (attack-wise) in brawl was responsible for many locks that require absolutely no skill and just infuriate people
MUCH bigger emphasis on Tether recovery a.k.a it was made FAR TOO EASY AND LACKING ANY SKILL!
swimming urgh...adds absolutely nothing to the game in its current format...talking of which, anything going to be changed about that?
custom stages yep
a balanced fighter selection questionable since no one really knows atm, also dont forget there wernt any patches for melee, brawl+ has had hundreds
LADDERS!!! *coughbull****cough*
does melee have any of those? i thought not. melee has alot of depth due to wavedashing and wavelanding, which makes spacing completely controlable dependant on the skill of the player, and that is one of the things brawl+ seems to lack- control of your character.

MADT would allow for more control for recovery of the player in tumble and also mindgames for approaching the ground.
oh please no..its just too easy:

sigh, rather than just saying what melee has over brawl+ (cause we all know melee is an amazing game and this is really the wrong thread), ill just deplete ur current list

replies in red

now back onto the current chat, everyone want to try NADT out? will wait for as long as it takes :)

D

Deleted member

Can we give Brawl+ a different friction coefficient or something? In 64 and Melee I feel way more in control with my character. :/ Brawl, even Brawl+, feels slippery - something's off.

jalued

Smash Lord
Can we give Brawl+ a different friction coefficient or something? In 64 and Melee I feel way more in control with my character. :/ Brawl, even Brawl+, feels slippery - something's off.
my mates who play melee said exactly the same thing about brawl+, not enough control of the characters. too much sliding

Rikana

Smash Champion
Offtopic: :o torontonians.

Nihongo-ookami

Smash Journeyman
I think there should be a special guard, similar to Waluigi's Laugh It Off. That's a great mechanic IMO. To be able to laugh as your opponent attacks. You still take Damage, but there's no Knockback.

I honestly think, though, that something should happen when you press Shield and Special. R + B. I was thinking of Special Grab. Ideas?

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
How about we just get rid of footstooling and call it a day? XD

ThatGuy

Smash Master
People are iffy about defensive techs though.
I see no problem with it, B+ really rewards offensive play at the moment.

As long as you can press Shield+B at any time to get stunned (not only after a direct hit because people can just spam B in shield), and only a 1-2 frame window exists upon shield hit, I can't see this being too broken. Maybe Super Armor instead of invincibility would be a good idea (grabs get grab armor so this would essentially be an identical concept).

It's definately seperated from powershielding because you can have the shield up to perform this, while you have to have the shield down for powershielding. It's riskier, but if you actually get the powershield you can land a grab which is a much better benefit, whereas the shield counter is seemingly weak but strong enough to get people to GTFO. A stun penalty in this situation is huge because the opponent will literally be right in your face ready to do anything, but at least you have some visual timing to work with, so it's a bit safer than powershielding.

shanus said:
Shield countering to me is a terrible idea and solves no issues in the current iteration of B+ and if anything encourages camping.
So? This is a thread discussing new mechanic changes, how is this relevant to solving/fixing anything? Did DDD's trip on Fsmash whiff solve a lot of problems? I see no problem with encouraging camping when at the moment lots of aerials just have crazy shieldstun to allow the character to follow up with a free grounded move of their choice without the other even being allowed to roll!

I'm all for trying it out in a nightly.

What!?

Smash Rookie
I really like the idea the shield counter that untouch made, I think you could easily balance its usage by making a visible meter that rises when you take damage and when you damage someone and goes up to 100%. Then you could just make the shield counter cost like 25%.

It'd also be pretty good if you would able to grab onto someone that's grabbing the ledge which could be helpful to characters with tether recovery's.

This last one is something I know probably wouldn't be implemented any time in the near future but It'd be awesome to see this game with a real combo engine with combo counters attack canceling,high and low attacks + guarding,real command based balanced final smashes, etc.

Slashy

Smash Lord
Let's not have two techniques that eat your shield, pick one or the other. Or come up with a different downside to using it.

BEES

Smash Lord
I don't want meters, if anyone got the impression that I did. I'm not a big fan of those generally.

I'm fine with things that trade damage percentage but that's all.

BEES

Smash Lord
I think if we want to talk seriously - a sliding mechanic is warranted, and a canceling mechanic is warranted.

I know Kupo has talked about manual l canceling. I'm opposed to using a trigger to manually cancel landing lag, or other arbitrarily difficult mechanics. However, I do think having autocanceling kinda makes things a bit easy-mode. I would be up for implementing L canceling as it was originally intended in Brawl: by fastfalling aerials. If you don't fastfall, you get the full landing frames. Makes more sense, since there are situations where you don't want to fastfall. At the same time it would be a hidden technique that requires learning, but not an arbitrarily difficult one.

ThatGuy

Smash Master
I really like the idea the shield counter that untouch made, I think you could easily balance its usage by making a visible meter that rises when you take damage and when you damage someone and goes up to 100%. Then you could just make the shield counter cost like 25%.

It'd also be pretty good if you would able to grab onto someone that's grabbing the ledge which could be helpful to characters with tether recovery's.

This last one is something I know probably wouldn't be implemented any time in the near future but It'd be awesome to see this game with a real combo engine with combo counters attack canceling,high and low attacks + guarding,real command based balanced final smashes, etc.
What!?

...but seriously, I think we should hold off on any ideas involving a meter of some sort until someone actually figures out how to code one. Your idea of grabbing onto someone is intruiging but also sounds like it ruins the purpose of edgehogging, which is a staple of the Smash games. Lastly, I really disagree with adding all those things you mentioned in your last paragraph, that just removes everything that makes Smash...Smash. I think that while it's cool to take some ideas from other fighting games, ultimately we shouldn't strive to actually turn Smash into another traditional fighter.

What!?

Smash Rookie
Just something in regards to the shield counter why not use the characters symbols as a way to show you when you'd be able to do it? Like their symbols would glow when their able to do it that way no added meters would be needed. I know no ones knows how to code meters yet I was just suggesting if anyone ever would want to implement this.

Top Bottom