• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Will we still play Melee when Brawl is out?

Lesheik

Smash Lord
Will we still play Melee when Brawl is out? The reason I'm curious about this is because most of us suddenly bailed out on SSB64. Was it because Melee is better than SSB64 or was it because it got boring? Melee is great game, but sometimes great game get played out.

Will Melee get played out??

Sensai

Smash Master
I was going to come in here and say 'do we play Smash 64?' and then leave you to answer that with a 'yes', but seeing as how you (for some odd reason) don't seem to think that it's a yes, I'll answer the question for you.

(What a round-about opening paragraph!)

Yes, we will. Just not as much. The fact of the matter is that Brawl will be a different game, completely different and seperate from Melee. Some people won't like it, so they'll refrain from moving to Brawl.

Also, if Brawl isn't competitive enough, many MANY people will continue to play Melee.

A-Laon

Smash Master
I was going to come in here and say 'do we play Smash 64?' and then leave you to answer that with a 'yes', but seeing as how you (for some odd reason) don't seem to think that it's a yes, I'll answer the question for you.

I found the shifts between 1st and 2nd person to be particularly tasteful, presenting an informal and conversational tone before you then proceeded to elaborate on the facts in the body. Best of both worlds. Two thumbs way up.

Lesheik

Smash Lord
People will continue to play Melee for years to come, no matter how good Brawl is. Melee is just THAT good.
I think so too, but what if Brawl is better? o_0 Nah, it probably won't.. Melee is the best competitive game in the world.

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
I think if brawl is as good as melee was when it came out then most people will be done with melee because of the online capabilities and such.

Does anyone play Halo1 anymore?

captainlukey

Smash Ace
i really dont know ay..... like we will, but its all the same stuff.... no new techniques, no new characters, the game would become so sameish.... it already is to an extent... i mean in fifteen years time if no one likes brawl and the new ones or watever.... i seriously doubt ill be playin melee still... i love the game... but imagine wat the threads and posts would be lyke...
theres already very little to talk about now...
just my personal opinion tho,

Sensai

Smash Master
A-Laon said:
I found the shifts between 1st and 2nd person to be particularly tasteful, presenting an informal and conversational tone before you then proceeded to elaborate on the facts in the body. Best of both worlds. Two thumbs way up.
Hey, thanks. Haha.

Red Shirt KRT, yes, people still play the original Halo. In fact, most people around my area prefer it over the newer one. Not a big fan of the series myself, but I agree with them; if I were to have to play one, I'd go the first one.

Lesheik

Smash Lord
Hey, thanks. Haha.

Red Shirt KRT, yes, people still play the original Halo. In fact, most people around my area prefer it over the newer one. Not a big fan of the series myself, but I agree with them; if I were to have to play one, I'd go the first one.
OT: Why do you and your friends think the first one is better?

--
I can't live without wavedashing , l-canceling, wall-teching, etc.

Neuronic Massage

Smash Rookie
but is brawl going to be to melee as melee was to 64?
That was a pretty big change, I LOVE 64, and I played it for years, but when I discovered the majesty of melee, i left my 64 to rot like some low-damage turnips
It very well could, it very well might, and hopefully, in the near future we'll all be hugging our wii's and looking back fondly on melee...
thats progress baby :D

Kerocola

Smash Apprentice

Yes, we will. Just not as much. The fact of the matter is that Brawl will be a different game, completely different and seperate from Melee. Some people won't like it, so they'll refrain from moving to Brawl.

Also, if Brawl isn't competitive enough, many MANY people will continue to play Melee.
That sums up what I was going to say, but I'll add my 2 cents to it.
Melee is insane and pretty competitive, and I've got a feeling Brawl will be toned down, assuming it will be slower. I'm judging from the trailer so if that's the case, Melee will still be played and more than you would think. However, if Brawl surpasses what Melee has to offer, Melee will still be played but not as much. I still play SSB anyway, and I've seen 2005+ videos for SSB. Melee has a lot to offer, so I think it will last, but it's just natural that if another game comes out the majority will go to it. A lot of people aren't as competitive as others in Melee, so Brawl is just better to them because of characters and stages. As for competition and whatnot, if it is superior to that of Brawl, the Wii plays Melee, obviously you have it, so you'd go back to Melee.

Leoneri

Smash Ace
Melee is an incredible fast paced competitive game. Whether or not Brawl will surpass Melee to us , the competitive smash community, remains to be seen. Nintendo is known for their family style orientation, so it very well may be slowed down to an 'easier rate'. Although Nintendo may not want to kick us to the dust because we do make up a rather large proportion of the smash populace, I just don't want to see it slowed down. Honestly what comes to mind when I think of what I don't want to happen, I think of Fight Night Round 2's transition to Round 3, which was a much slower close up fighting game than its predecessor.

pdk

Smash Lord
get played out eh?

sf2 didn't, sfa3 didn't (though arguably has a ton less players than it used to), kof98 didn't, garou didn't, ssbm won't

there you go

Lesheik

Smash Lord
Melee is an incredible fast paced competitive game. Whether or not Brawl will surpass Melee to us , the competitive smash community, remains to be seen. Nintendo is known for their family style orientation, so it very well may be slowed down to an 'easier rate'. Although Nintendo may not want to kick us to the dust because we do make up a rather large proportion of the smash populace, I just don't want to see it slowed down. Honestly what comes to mind when I think of what I don't want to happen, I think of Fight Night Round 2's transition to Round 3, which was a much slower close up fighting game than its predecessor.
People are saying that OC3 will be the last big Smash Tournament...

Is this true!?

Sensai

Smash Master
What should be said about it is that it's the last big Smash tournament before Brawl comes out (assuming it comes out when they think it is). That doesn't necessarily mean it'll be the last Melee one, either, as it'll take at least a little bit of time before the metagame is evolved, characters figured out...

Actually, guess that doesn't affect tournaments.

---

OT: I'm not sure why my friends prefer it, but I just really enjoy the maps in the first one. The addition of swords was a good idea, but being able to have two weapons didn't go over so well for me.

DP's Mario

Smash Ace
Just in case Brawl might potentially suck, like the thread in the Brawl Discussion , Melee will always back us up no matter what.

I'm goin' to OC3 :joyful:

Fallen C

Smash Journeyman
If brawl sucks, then yes people will still play melee. If brawl is really ******* amazing like it will be, then yes people will still play melee.

Thino

Smash Master
no matter what , I will always play Melee , awesome classics never die
I'm still playing SSB64 despite Melee has been out for 6 years

Goldkirby

Smash Ace
Depends how disappointing Brawl is.
Its looking a little too "realistic" right now.
You know this how? Don't give me bull crap on how you saw the 2 videos that are out, they don't really show much of the game at all.

Shwn

Smash Journeyman
Your absolutely right.
Which is why I wasn't stating a position on either side.
But yes, so far I have based a little of my opinions in the videos.
The image I continue to reply is links down air. He drills right through people without bouncing. XD

Mud Buddha

Smash Ace
To reiterate an argument that has probably been noted several times already: It entirely depends on how Brawl can be played. In a lot of ways SSB Melee is simply SSB 64 +. Hence; people play Melee over it. If Brawl is sufficiently different from Melee, then the answer is simply, yes. Yes we will.

Consider SF2 and SF3, people still play both games competitively. Arguably in equal numbers.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Yea i agree, it depends on numerous factors but their will still be players who religiously play melee, just depends on how good brawl is when it comes out

Top Bottom