• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Will you go online to find out how characters are unlocked?

WeXzuZ

Smash Apprentice
I will not go online for the first two weeks. I will play through SSE, Classic and Target Smash with every Starting character and see who I unlock. Play through various difficulties. THEN when I have done all modes in all difficulties I will consider going online.. Its just impossible to stay away from internet and not getting spoiled though.

Devotion

Smash Apprentice
I'm kinda having second thoughts about both since I'm gonna stop coming here and Dojo when Brawl hits Japan, so I'm surprised by the unlocks and I wanna get them in myself, but I also wanna get stuff in ASAP. If only there would be a site that said how to unlock everything but wouldn't state what you were unlocking.

Mr.Victory07

Smash Lord
Ill probably go online to see WHICH characters are in, and then buy Brawl alonside a guide book and have that tell me
And to everyone saying"oh imz gunna AVOID the interwebz bcuz i donts want spoilzers" the internet and temptation are impossible to avoid, theyre all around you

M3tr01D

Smash Lord
I will try by myself for 1 day of just straight grinding through all the game modes as fast as possible trying to unlock stuff, and then I will probably buy a cheat device and just auto unlock all the stuff. Online mode and Versus mode is way more fun then any single player version of the game has ever been.

Silfa

Smash Ace
It depends. Once I find out the Australian release, I'll decide. If the release is ages, I'll go online and find out what characters there are (but not how to get them), though if it's not too long I'll just stay away and try and do some stuff myself.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
What's the point buying a guide if you can use the internet?
I bought the guide for Melee when it first came out. It is just so much nicer having a guide on paper with color and pictures than having a laptop or B&W text on cheap paper. I am not buying the guide because "that is the only way I know how to find all the secrets"; I just want it.

AttackstorM

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2122-8193-6919
i'm a tournament player and it is a must to unlock all characters and stages as quick as possible at all costs...including looking it up on the internet just so i can see what i'm dealing with.

Kittah4

Smash Ace
I bought the guide for Melee when it first came out. It is just so much nicer having a guide on paper with color and pictures than having a laptop or B&W text on cheap paper. I am not buying the guide because "that is the only way I know how to find all the secrets"; I just want it.

I somewhat agree, but it's some sort of cosmic law that strategy guides MUST have some sort of mistakes or laughable information in them. I mean, look back at Melee's guide now.

Vortok

Smash Journeyman
Although I'd like to say I'll play it at first without looking it up (I'll be too busy playing and saying "holy crap!" every 4 minutes to go online anyways), but the Japan release messes everything up. I don't I could stay off the internet (not like I go anywhere other than game related sites) that long.... but maybe. I doubt I'll go online when I first get the game since I'll be... you know... actually playing the game. After the initial wow/amazing factor wears off, I'll prolly check online. Discovering stuff is cool, but not so cool for me personally that I'd cut myself off from other gamers for such an extended period of time.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
I somewhat agree, but it's some sort of cosmic law that strategy guides MUST have some sort of mistakes or laughable information in them. I mean, look back at Melee's guide now.
It depends on which brand you bought. I have the Nintendo edition, and yeah, it has been heavily marked up with my pen. There are so many errors. XD

My friend had a really nice one. I don't know if it was Prima or something else.

Xenesis

Smash Journeyman
Knowing what happened in SSBM - (Friends and I unlocked all characters in a single night...including a 1 hour match on Big Blue to get Mewtwo... ;_; ) we'll look it up and attempt to unlock whatever we can, as fast as we can. :)

Fossilized Ursidae

Smash Apprentice
I'm going to go through Brawl not knowing how to unlock somebody until
A) I meet one of the criteria
B) One of my friends meet it and they tell me
C) I get too anxious about the characters and have to give in

Tobi-

Smash Ace
i dont want to see all the characters. it will actually be fun and exciting to unlock someone new. of course though, im going to have to spoil myself, because i wont figure out how to unlock them on my own.

winning 1,000 vs matches? pff. you think im going to do that because i THINK that's how you unlock someone?

GoldenIke

Smash Apprentice
I will wait to janurary then quit so i got a month full of exclusive surprises :p OMG GOTTA GET A MILK

Foe

Smash Journeyman
You only get one chance to unlock everything before you find out how to unlock everyone and it gets boring.

Rane

Smash Rookie
About a month after I get it, I'll go online and get a checklist of everything unlockable, and then if I can't figure out how to get everything a few months after that, I might go find out how to get everything.

iLink

Smash Champion
I'll probably start to look stuff up after I enjoy it for a few days.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I hate going online for smash to get unlockables it kills the fun and experience for me

ThatOtherGuy

Smash Cadet
I'm going to read a FAQ based on the Japanese version and plan out how to unlock all the characters in the quickest possible way.

Sprigginz_Caldo

Smash Apprentice
I would LOVE to find out how to unlock the characters without knowing which character I'm unlocking. If anyone could post that, I would be so happy.

skyblue

Smash Apprentice
I just hope that the Dojo will update every character before the Japanese release. Then I'll know what characters are in it. If I don't find a way to unlock one of those characters, I will look online.

C.Olimar788

Smash Ace
I'll try to unlock them all by myself, but if I become hopelessly stuck I'll look online.

Staying away from the Smash Boards from the time of SSBB's Japanese release to its US... I hope NSider's back up by then. XD

axi0n

Smash Apprentice
I'll know all the characters and which are secret but maybe I'll try keeping how to unlock them a suprise so atleast something will be a suprise.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
LOL! I am surprised at all these players so sensitive to "ruining the surprise". My surprises will hide within each of the characters in how well they hold up in competitive environments. Metagame rules. ^_^

Top Bottom