• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Window Hibernation question.

NadaisaGod

Smash Apprentice
Often, when I'm downloading something at night, I may tend to fall asleep, and my computer sets into hibernation mode in 30 minutes. This is fine and all, but I'm under the impression that hibernation mode writes your current point to the hard drive. When you resume status, does your computer automatically delete the checkpoint of sorts, or does the checkpoint remain, with no further use, merely wasting space? If the latter, can anyone tell me the file that I have to access to delete the files?

Kirby King

Master Lameoid
Premium
BRoomer
I think (not sure) that when you enable hibernate on your computer Windows creates a placeholder file on your hard drive that's as big as your system's memory. This is necessary so that you can always actually go into hibernate mode--if your hard drive didn't have enough space and the file didn't exist, there would be no way to save your memory to your hard drive, so having the file prevents that from happening.

I would think that the file is emptied when you come out of hibernate, so you don't have to worry about it. In any event, the space on your hard drive is already reserved, and depending on how your computer was set up, might even have been created on a separate partition so there may not even be any real point to disabling it.

Top Bottom