• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wingdashing (11 Videos)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stryks

Smash Hero
Ok so its half a circle from the top to the bottom, to the oposite side in which the character is looking... looks tight, il ltry it out these coming days, thanx bud...

kupo15

Smash Hero
your welcome

Ok so its half a circle from the top to the bottom, to the oposite side in which the character is looking... looks tight, il ltry it out these coming days, thanx bud...
This is to slide backwards. The circle goes the other way if you want to go in the direction you are facing.
It is very hard to learn but once you get it, its not bad and its also fun.

Leggo

Smash Cadet
I do it alot differently but it works fine for me, i use Y for jump and X for special, either or...and then i only do a quarter of a circle and then hit C-stick down...very weird i know, but works extremely well for me

kupo15

Smash Hero
That is the key. Do what works for you. That is why it is better to imitate what you see in my training video without the controller. That way you figure it out on your own and it comes faster. I play using the mote/chuck and what works for me is to break it up in 3 steps
1. Jump
2. Up on joystick
3. B and Joystick circle motion.

What is good about this is when I go to do chain wingdashes, my fingers never stop and repeat the 3 step process in a fast and rhythmic motion.

Rigor Mortis

Smash Journeyman
*A perfectly executed Wingdash results in maximum distance with no landing lag whatsoever! So you can run forward, Wingdash backward and come out of it dashing. It is also a faster dash than dashing from standstill*

I hope that is true I must confirm that for myself *i dont know how to quote things :D*

kupo15

Smash Hero
yea it was easier to demo the GC because R is just like B on my configuration, mote/chuck I wouldn't be able to use the B button.

Stryks

Smash Hero
Ok so I finally managed to do it, tough my distance is a tad shorter than the one in the vid, im also having some difficulty canceling, but I isues it for the 1st time efectivatly yesterday, I didged a fsmash against a cpu and then Fsmash him... i like...

kupo15

Smash Hero
Nice. Just keep practicing and it will be 2nd nature like wavedashing.

i dont want to sound negative but in sagemoons wd to spike video couldnt he have walked there in the same amount of time thus not even needing to do the complicated wing dash?
Well, I'm pretty sure that Wingdashing is faster than walking. Also, once you get get it under your fingers as well as Sagemoon has, then it won't be hard. And once you know the spacing the move gives, it will be easier to do this once difficult AT to promise yourself the right distance to pull off the move instead of walking.

kotahlicious

Smash Journeyman
Nice. Just keep practicing and it will be 2nd nature like wavedashing.

Well, I'm pretty sure that Wingdashing is faster than walking. Also, once you get get it under your fingers as well as Sagemoon has, then it won't be hard. And once you know the spacing the move gives, it will be easier to do this once difficult AT to promise yourself the right distance to pull off the move instead of walking.
i guess but is wd faster then run? like coudl u wd or chain wd across a stage faster then pit running?

Ryanarius

Smash Journeyman
i guess but is wd faster then run? like coudl u wd or chain wd across a stage faster then pit running?
read sagemoon's guide to the application on the first post. I was thinking in the same terms as you are but after reading sagemoon's view on it I realize the wingdash main purpose is to use the wind affect while moving. One application is it can be used to push aerials away as well as it can cancel out some projectiles.

sagemoon goes into more detail.

sagemoon

Smash Lord
You cant f-tilt out of a run, also you cant f-tilt out of a dash backwards (unless you're good enough to pivot f-tilts, but still wingdashing is easier and more reliable) or any tilts at that. Thats whats been helping me out recently.

kotahlicious

Smash Journeyman
hey kupo thank for making that video with the hands it helped so much i watched u on that cube controller and something clicked cause i went to do it today and did a crappy version of it im almost doing it its very exciting check out my progress and give me some advice
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPHHSaJ-sL4 i added the song so you dont have to hear the click and me screaming "CRAP" everytime i mess up lol when it goes epia its the same thing i wanted to play with wmm plus i like the song lol

kupo15

Smash Hero
Yea, I've noticed that Ftilt is really good to do out of a retreating Wingdash because you distance yourself nicely to pull off a Ftilt because it is one of Pit's slower moves. Also with the range...yea its just a good combination. I have gotten punished for Wingdashing into a dash attack.

Another good application like in one of my videos is Wingdash to Bair. This way you can move towards your enemy with your back to them at all times which sets up the Bair nicely. No pivots needed.

kupo15

Smash Hero
That is looking much better. Now just move the buttons a little faster so you do the whole thing closer to the floor. Keep it up.

ChokE

Smash Apprentice
I have a question for sagemoon. What do your friend (Fear) think about Wingdashing when you play him? Annoyed, indifferent, or furious?

sagemoon

Smash Lord
I have a question for sagemoon. What do your friend (Fear) think about Wingdashing when you play him? Annoyed, indifferent, or furious?
I've asked him about it before. Hes not annoyed by it considering it does take some timing and skill to pull off. It shuts down his approach when I pull it off right, however it doesnt stop him from trying the approach. Hes normally compliments me if i somehow pull it off right into a combo. Following up with a statement "the only way to be good with pit is to be sagemoon". Hes also a really good sport though so idk how other ppl would react.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Yea you are a really good pit. I realized that it doesn't matter how much I practice wingdashing or any other techniques. I won't get better unless I play someone good which is where I fall short. I think I'm going to find someone good in the other forums who lives close by and try to make friends with them. If not, then I won't have any competition over the summer and I won't get any better...maybe I'll start with mew2king...yea right.

kotahlicious

Smash Journeyman
:laugh::laugh:
I've asked him about it before. Hes not annoyed by it considering it does take some timing and skill to pull off. It shuts down his approach when I pull it off right, however it doesnt stop him from trying the approach. Hes normally compliments me if i somehow pull it off right into a combo. Following up with a statement Hes also a really good sport though so idk how other ppl would react.
lol:laugh:"the only way to be good with pit is to be sagemoon".

Phazon_Dude

Smash Apprentice
WAIT! What i have trouble understanding is.. how to do this. But seriously, my main problem I think is that I can't get Pit to fly backwards. Any tips?

Phazon_Dude

Smash Apprentice
Ok, so I watched the video, it seemed pretty helpful. Although, how exactly did you do pits WoI without pressing b on your controller? Did you change the controls?

kupo15

Smash Hero
Oh sorry, for the GC, I made R Special as well as B. It works better because I am a mote/chuck user and it is in the same position as B on that control scheme which makes it easier. I guess I should have just done it with B since I never actually interacted with the game because the controller is turned off. :p
Video trick but it still shows how one would actually do it.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I fear that Sage is also better than My Pit, and just when i thought I was good. Should I be tempted to using Wingdashing? Even so, idk if im doing wing cancelling or wingdashing. I'm very jealous now.
I watched the first Pit vs Mario one and I cant perfect the Wing renewal either!
I need some helpful advice on this wing tech stuff.

kupo15

Smash Hero
I think wingdashing is worth learning. Right now I am having an easier time doing it in game than in practice. I get so tense with the timing.lol
I was playing Sage last night and I was annoyed at how effective wingdashing was being used against me!

Here is an explanation of Wingdashing vs Wingcanceling:
Wing cancel is just canceling the WoI and is a general technique for a couple of moves.
Wingdashing is combining a forward or backward momentum with a Wing Cancel to make this move act like a Wavedash.
Wing platform cancel is using wing cancel to get on platforms quicker.
So basically, wing canceling is every WoI technique. The application of wing canceling determines the name.

sagemoon

Smash Lord
I found that wingcancel can also be used similar to dash cancelling in melee (where you would hit down to cancel the run and do w/e move, they took that out of brawl)

RAR Wingdashing can be used to throw off timing and add more spacing options.

kupo15

Smash Hero
So have you been experimenting since our matches? If you make a video I will put it on the Wingdashing thread.

cradmazy_SKAG

Smash Ace
hey kupo,

u said u were lookin for people to play. i played pit in a tournament in princeton today, had decent success.

if u didnt go / didnt know, u should check the atlantic north regional zone, check out some of the jersey threads, such as the montage crew.

theres a fairly big jersey smash scene...

kupo15

Smash Hero
cool, on allisbrawl website? I did go and I think I glanced over at you playing a doubles match because you were the only other Pit player I saw. (I didn't know who was controlling Pit though) I wish I played better
-lost first match to a TL(not used to someone with a projectile game that competes with Pit)
-Won second set against a Marth/Fox
-Lost third set to a....Gannondorf! I thought I had that one I can't believe I lost to a Gannondorf. My very last stock I SD because I somehow lost track of my jumps before trying to glide to the other side and falling to my doom halfway under FD. That never happens.
But I would like to brawl with some of those guys, and would like to maybe play you.

How far did you go?

kupo15

Smash Hero
yea i no, its embarrassing. :embarrass
Nerves got the best of me.
He was a really good one, I never saw one move like that....
I would have beaten him if my head was screwed on straight...

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
Ganondorf is very good. Don't let other's convince you any different. He won't win tournament after tournament but don't let your guard down against him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom