• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Winners Round 1 and Gamestop Tournament Discussion

Cobalt

Smash Journeyman
I took my brothers along with me to the tournament, but the rules for ours was that you had to have a copy of the game reserved in order to play. Since we only had one reserved, I went ahead and let one of my brothers play. He played as Fox, and won two or three matches with last-second kills. He ended up winning the whole thing, too, so he goes on to Round 2 next Saturday.

After that, the guys running it were really cool and let us all play friendlies at the station while we waited for midnight. So after my brother won a few more matches, I stepped up for the first time as Ike and whooped his butt. I went 3-0 on the night there :)

Quaalude

Smash Rookie
Won in norcal.
Absolutely jam packed like 60 something people in tourney or something outrageous like that.

Shield grab in sudden death to end Finals.
:]

catfriedrice

Smash Journeyman
Me.

My first random character for the first 3 rounds was Kirby. (16 contestants including myself).

I got to the finals and got Dedede. I ****ing lost. Dedede sucks major ***.

ARRRRRGH
You know, I agree. Screw Prima, he's not that great.
I started with Pikachu and won with him 4 times. Prima value: 5/10. lowest score
Finals gave me Kirby. 2 wins, Prima value: 5/10 again. Considered worst tourney character as well. kudos to you for getting as far as you did with him.

The first win was hard getting to know those controls. Never did figure out any B button attacks until round 3. Jump was up, didn't know C till R2. R1, All I knew to do was Kill him then ran for 10 seconds. R2 was harder because it was Yoshi and i got the kill early. Next thing i know, a Metroid comes after me for the next 30 seconds while I try to avoid death. Assist trophy, gotta love em; they sure saved me in R3 against a Samus. R4, another pikachu. Switched to kirby for the final 4. Had to battle a Meta knight (hammer saved me) and Bowser (Unlucky jump SD fall in the last 2 seconds in Rainbow Cruise). Never died once, never went to Sudden Death. if you go to the next round, play the chicken card. believe me, sometimes running away from death is a lot better than trying to meet it.

Aesonus

Smash Rookie
won my local gamestop store tournament in sudden death vs one of my best friends; another one of my friends won a different gamestop the day before so we're both set for the next round. all the games were 1 minute, with items, wii mote/nun chuk, on battlefield. i was pretty happy that we got to play on a decent map...also i won the standard bronze trophy, nothing else.

-9Volt+

Smash Journeyman
I won at Pleasant Hills, but I can't make round 2. Got the same ******** trophy, got to buy brawl first, and got one of those giant Brawl ads that look like the box.

dmcmaster41

Smash Cadet
all you guys who actually call that a tournament are *******... come on a real competitive tournament isn't with the frekin gamecube controller and items, if you lost please shut it because it's not a big deal, even if i went i could of loss to those kids who sucked and i had the game for over a month now........

gamestop tournaments suck, their at a gamestores so that says it ll....have a nice day

Cha0s Finale

Smash Cadet
Yeah, I won at my local tournament as well.

But the wait, ugh, was horrible. It was like, 15 degrees outside and we HAD to wait outside, they were only letting the competitors in. Not to mention we got stuck with random characters. My first round was Olimar and Pikmin, and I barely won. I SD'ed right in the beginning because my hands were frozen, lmao. But I managed to get a 2 KO's on my opponent to pull it off.

When the 2nd round started, somehow all of Round 1 winners characters got messed up and I ended up with Pokemon Trainer. Oh wow, am I glad I got him. Haha. Ivysaur for the freaking win. :D

But, they couldnt find the winners certificate for me, and seems im going to need that for Round 2. Guess im going to have to bug them to find it before Saturday. :laugh:

Breakman

Smash Rookie
I won at my local gamestop. I was informed that the gamestop was the only one in that area not supposed to be in the tournament, but they pulled some strings or something. It was pretty fun, no random characters or anything, and no items. I didn't get one of those nifty trophies you all are talking about or a cool poster. Wish I could of, just got 20 bucks so that's cool.

It sucked though cause this one kid had the import and was bragging about it and was straight cleaning up everyone with Metaknight. A couple people even quit out cause they said he was going to win. After like my second round I had finally gotten used to the Wii-mote and Chuck. My best friend was cleaning up with Mario and said he felt bad cause I had to play that one Metaknight user. So yeah..to keep the story short I destroyed him. Even with a 3 minute limit I think it was like 5-0 me or something. Then I got to play my friend in the finals, which was Fox vs Mario. We took it to Sudden Death and then I gave him that Spartan kick of Fox's and it was over.

So I hope I can make it now this saturday to see how I do. Good luck to everyone else though in all the differant states.

xelad1

Smash Ace
$10 says dmcmaster joined and got eliminated in the first round.
Can I get in this betting pool?

I thought I wanted to go to one of these (I wasn't able to anyway) until my friends told me the gamestop was horribly clogged and the rules were 1 minute timer matches, with items, using the wiimote, and the characters were on random select.... sounds pretty balanced!

Sooch!

Smash Rookie
I ended up winning the Duluth, GA tourney, but I probably didn't deserve it.

Tried to go to a different tourney, they said sign up was full, called this other one, and they said "show up at 11:00, you'll get in" So we went at 10:30 and it was full and people were already putting their names in, but it was ok, since they had a second sign up sheet, and the winner of that one would fight the winner of the first one. So instead of fighting in a 32 round tourney I fought in a 6 round one, Plus I got to watch all those matches to learn the game.

It was 1 minute matches, items on, random stages, and we chose our characters. The first round had some skilled players, from what I overheard a few of them had imported and had been practicing hardcore. These were the same guys whining that items should be off and it should be stock, ect, but the gamestop people stuck to the rules. In my little tourney, I picked random cause I figured I had no chance, Got Ness and stumbled my way to the top of my set. Then for the finals we moved it up to TWO minutes and did final destination. My enemy was one of the experienced people using Ike, and I chose random again and got freakin yoshi. We actually ended up having a good tight match. I had the hammer at one point but never hit with it, he even knocked it out of my hands. in the end we were both at like 150% and with just 5 seconds to go I up smashed him into space.

Then I got the "A challenger has appeared" message and got to fight captain falcon. While I was fighting him the gamestop person came over with the trophy and was like "so who's the winner?" And the guy I beat just quietly said "I guess...he is."

Captain falcon ended up killing me with his final smash though, so he's the real winner.

I ended up getting the trophy and a $25 card which I immediately used.

PikaPika!

Smash Ace
4 player FFA at my tourny, i got knocked out round 1 because someone killed the computer player they had in because we didnt have a fourth and camped the rest of the game.

Zoro

Smash Champion
All the people at my gamestop were nubs
all i did was jab combo and up smash with ike
lolz

FuLLBLeeD

Smash Journeyman
Mine was random characters, stages, all items on, and you couldn't use a GCN controller, you had to use Wiimote/Nunchuck. In short, it was a complete joke. The winner of every match won because of item spam.

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
Mine was random characters, stages, all items on, and you couldn't use a GCN controller, you had to use Wiimote/Nunchuck. In short, it was a complete joke. The winner of every match won because of item spam.
same with me except it was all battlefield for us.

still ******** though :ohwell:

TheMastermind

Smash Ace
My tournement was Battlefield with items off. And all players had to choose random characters\
I won with bowser. It was all 1 min matches for me.

I won at the gamestop in redlands if anyone here is nearby?

SirroMinus1

SiNiStEr MiNiStEr
NNID
Ajarudaru
good stuff to the guys who won. i was thinking about doing it but i probably was gonna take it really serious so i didnt XD

confuzzledmog

Smash Rookie
I won mine...they all got defeated by a gay man using Peach...wahaha!! It was pretty satisfying since a lot of people were talking crap on her. It was pretty difficult with the wii-mote/nunchuck and Peach is so freakin weak now. I ended up winning all my rounds in sudden death...apparently I'm the only one who knows how to dodge/block :laugh:

Ferratto

Smash Rookie
how many places is round 2 branching off to? how many rounds are there? MOST importantly, what are the rules as far as gamecube controllers, and match settings?

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
i came in second place. holy mother wii mtoes are ghey the first time and 1 misn and all itmes? all mathes were jsut sudden death adn who can survive the bombs fastest T________T

StickAndWiggle

Smash Rookie
I came in second at mine because my opponent got that stupid clock thing, but he was only 15 and had no parent guardian with him so I'm going to the next round. Does anyone know what time of day they're doing it?

The tourney was a 32 man single elimination one minute score match with items on the Summit. I used Lucas and pwned.

Vulcan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SaberVulcan
I won, I got a $50 gift card and thats it. I declined going to the next round due to classes and stuff, so GL to the Utica 2nd place player!

And yeah, we had 2 min matches, 4 player games, top 2 advanced, all items on, all stages. Got first on each game that I played, so didnt really mind, but there were a lot of 2nd place ties from what I noticed that took extra time.
Last 2 matches (last 4 player and last 1v1) were both 3 min matches, same rules as before.

Nasty_Nate

Smash Lord
Did they ****ing do "King of the hill" at all the locations as well. Basically you get PUNISHED for signing up early since king of the hill means first person has to play thirty-****ing-one people to ****ing win. So the douchebags in the back of the line that didn't give a **** about registering, had a ****ing advantage over any competent player...

There rant over.

Final time I will ever put any trust in Gamestop tournaments. And jesus christ 1 minute was way worse than it sounds (and it already sounds horrible). I just started to make a comeback on my 2nd match, and I use peach's final smash after KNOCKING IT OUT OF FOX KTHX SKILL and I had 5 seconds so I use it, and her animation is 5 seconds. Got to be kidding me.
Yes... I won mine but had to win this way. They called my name in the second round, and I had to beat 25+ players without losing
We randomed one of those map maker stages and the guy ran from me the whole minute. Then on sudden death, I hit him like 3 good times but the stage had big walls. So a bomb-omb hits me and I go flying up in the air and Im pissed, but somehow before I blink out, a bomb-omb hits him and he flies off to the side! I looked away so I didnt see how it happened but yeah.........

Please dont be like this round 2

Top Bottom