• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

WiP: Tournament Hot Potato @ SFSU

Vodage

Smash Journeyman
The dates are a joke, this is a WiP

:reverse: Hey guys. I'm in the process of putting together a letter to SFSU, to see if I can't officially get permission to use the Humanities building to have tourneys there.

I've gotten ahold of two small TVs that me and a buddy could MUNI over there, and I think we might be able to pull this off, assuming SFSU is cool about it.

WiP means Work in Progress. Anyone who wants to help organize this *cough*SHERIDAN*cough* gets a gold Power Star from Peach's castle!

I do not own a laptop or Tio, so if no one wants to help, I'll go purchase a dry-erase marker and draw the bracket on the whiteboard. OldskooL!

Rules: Standard entry fees, no venue fee (unless SFSU charges me to use their building)
Full setups = entry fee waived

*special stage picks* if two players agree on any stage, no matter how banned it is, they can play on it, even in the bracket. Please LMK if this is too crazy of an idea.

Other weird things: I plan on converting one station to an F-Zero GX station once the bracket is over. I will accept all moneymatches up to $1 until I'm out of cash. (no snaking)

It would help if I could find an actual SFSU student, also it would REALLY help if I could find that security guard I talked to who told me he used to go to tourneys himself. Having him on our side would greatly aid in speeding up the whole process.

Lore: "Tournament Hot Potato" is something Jeff and I were doing at a tournament during a friendly. Someone asked if it was tournament, and we were all "Yea, this is Tournament Hot Potato." Hot Potato is where you throw bombs/turnips at eachother and try to catch them and throw them back. As funny as that sounds, it's actually good practice if you plan on beating a Peach player with any regularity. Anyways

Vodage

Smash Journeyman
The Request

Here is a copy of the email I just sent to SFSU. Wish me luck!

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=200283&highlight=CGC+SFSU

Above is the forum thread for the game tournament which was previously hosted in your Humanities building.

This is letter is a request for permission to host a similar tournament, with me (a non-student) as the new host.

I am not completely sure why your university decided against allowing the tournament before, but I write this in hopes that I can get it going again.

The Super Smash Bros. (video game) tournament community is a wonderful thing to be a part of. Players are friendly and supportive of each other, with more skilled players always taking the time to "show new players the ropes".

The main problem we have in organizing our tournaments is finding a proper venue. Using someone's house (usually a high-school student's parents' house) is not ideal. We have always had trouble finding a venue without an exorbitant fee.

However, I know that schools need money, and I'm sure it wouldn't be too much of a problem to charge a small fee to each entrant. One day, on my way to the CGC@SFSU tournament, I stopped and asked a security guard for directions.

He asked what I was doing, and I told him I was on my way to a video game tournament. He smiled, and told me that he used to go to such tournaments himself. It would be great if we could get ahold of him again, if security is a concern.

I understand that the involvement of money ($5 standard entry fee, with 60%/30%/10% payouts to 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners, respectively) is a major concern. Please understand that though the majority of players in our community are High School and College students, they are surprisingly mature about all of this. I would say that no player should be excluded from attending should he lack the required funds, that spectators will be fully permitted, and that no one has to enter the official tournament bracket if they don't want to. "Friendly" matches with no money involvement are always allowed at our tournaments.

I plan to ask every entrant to bring a trash bag with them, and to leave the space cleaner than it was before they arrived. Most of the entrants bring money with them and buy lunch, so it would be prudent to direct them to your school's food stands or cafeteria. We were previously using HUM 101 or HUM 211 for our tournament, and the only issue that I saw was that we left the trash in the trash can, instead of taking it with us. This problem is easily solved; I have no problem carrying trash to the proper receptacle, be it a can or a dumpster.

Also, I will encourage players to recycle! Personally I dislike seeing any recyclables placed in a trash can. San Franciscans are pretty good about this, though.

Please let me know if this is possible. As a non-student, I know this is an odd request, but I trust that your University is supportive of the Competitive Gaming Community. After all, cyberathletes are still athletes.

Persons with physical disabilities especially enjoy this sort of competition.

I am completely willing to submit to any extra rules, regulations, or modifications you wish to make to the tournament.

Sincerely yours,

-David Sims

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
I am happy to run any tournament that gets hosted, but I'm too busy (or lazy) to do the footwork to secure a venue.

Top Bottom